A Figure in Hiding

A Figure in Hiding (The Hardy Boys #16)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  862 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A blind peddler's warning and a glass eye plunge Frank and Joe Hardy into a baffling case.
Published May 1st 1937 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 1937)

Jamesrotz
I am happy about this book. I gave it a ten out of ten or on this website 5 out of five because i like the Hardy boys. Its for boys who like adventure and like having fun. it gets you into the story like you actually there fighting bad guys, driving a car, getting kidnaped and driving there boat. i gave it a ten out of ten becaus the author is good, he wrote tons of these hardy boys books adventures because he likes people imagining what it is like to be them. ilike this one because of the eye i...more
Ianm
This book was leisurely paced and suspenseful with a ton of mystery added. The mystery really comes in when the blind peddler gives them the message about the eye and they find it on the boat and later in the book when it starts ticking.
Catherine Woodman
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their famous father's footsteps. Frank Hardy is the elder of the two and has dark hair. Joe Hardy is the younger brother, and has blond hair and blue eyes. The stories are an unaging series, in which Frank and Joe are always 18 and 17 years of age, respectively. In the original series the brothers were a younger...more
Gabrielle
Mood

“A Figure in the Hiding” is like a mystery book. When you turn to the first page of the book it tells you that the Hardy boys are approached by a blind peddler with a warning for their father Fenton Hardy. To me this makes the mood of the story weird. I say this because when I picture this in real life I can’t imagine this happening. If this ever happened to me in life, the situation would be weird.

How could a blind man that I have never talked to give me a card with a cat eye drawn on it, a...more
Linda
This is a book from a boys' mystery series and the version I read was the original 1937 text. It was a bit bizarre! A quack Dr. that goes to people's homes and charges them money to perform a fake operation on their eyes to restore sight? Really? How gullible were people in the 1930s? And brave to have one man do surgery alone in their house without anesthesia or helpers. One thing I learned in this book is that coincidences are astounding! Every time there's a person mentioned as being a long-l...more
Abigail P
This is a good mystery. You will sit on the edge of your seat till you’re done. The Hardys solve the mystery of the Goggler Gang. It is a good book. If you like mysteries, read this book.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I think the Hardy Boy books helped me with learning deductive and inductive skills. I had to work through logic. Who knew? I enjoyed all these books.
Meadow
Apr 24, 2010 Meadow rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers
Shelves: mystery
The "doctor" works as an eye doctor...but who is he really? They Hardy Boys have their suspicons of a differnt kind...

Another Hardy Boy Mystery.
Ruthie Jones
I read the Hardy Boys books (and Nancy Drew) when I was a child. The stories are old fashioned, but that's why I like them so much.
Ron
Excellent series for young readers - highly recommended.
I read these books when I was 10 - 15 years of age.
Nancy
Giuliana: Is it weird I like Hardy Boys books better than Nancy Drew books? ;) They're more exciting.
Valkyrie Oracle
My book has the same cover as shown in this listing but was published in 1993.
Marts  (Thinker)
The Hardy Boys get into a mystery after recieving a mysterious message.
Ian
The book I'm currently reading to my sons...they love the Hardy Boys!
Ashley Tetzlaff
Typical Hardy boy - heart-pounding adventure! Great book. Fun read :)
Jeff Noble
A Figure in Hiding by Franklin Dixon (?)
Kolan
Jan 25, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Vishesh Gupta
Vishesh Gupta marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Taylor
Taylor added it
Jul 24, 2014
Naelon George
Naelon George marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
J K
J K marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Sam
Sam added it
Jul 16, 2014
  • Mystery Train (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery, #8)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • The Secret of Phantom Lake (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #19)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Kidnapped Whale (The Three Investigators, #35)
  • The Mystery of the Smashing Glass (The Three Investigators, #38)
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...
The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1) The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2) The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3) Hardy Boys Complete Series Set Books 1-66 (The Hardy Boys #1-66) The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)