Start by marking “The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)

The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time #4)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  103,608 ratings  ·  1,598 reviews
The seals of Shayol Ghul are weak now, and the Dark One reaches out. The Shadow is rising to cover humankind.

In Tar Valon, Min sees portents of hideous doom. Will the White Tower itself be broken?

In the Two Rivers, the Whitecloaks ride in pursuit of a man with golden eyes, and in pursuit of the Dragon Reborn.

In Cantorin, among the Sea Folk, High Lady Suroth plans the retur
Mass Market Paperback, 1007 pages
Published October 15th 1993 by Tom Doherty Tor Fantasy (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Rising, please sign up.

Courtney It's interesting that you didn't remember her! I knew her immediately, but when I read each book I also do it almost non-stop until the end...probably…moreIt's interesting that you didn't remember her! I knew her immediately, but when I read each book I also do it almost non-stop until the end...probably gives me less time to forget? But yeah...try to be aware of all the characters you meet, because apparently this happens a lot in this series (Ta'veren, amirite?).(less)
Patricia Ferreira This book is very interesting, but it's the fourth in a series of 14, so you should start at the beginning, with "The eye of the world".
The Eye of the World by Robert JordanThe Shadow Rising by Robert JordanThe Great Hunt by Robert JordanThe Dragon Reborn by Robert JordanA Memory of Light by Robert Jordan
Best Wheel of Time Book
2nd out of 15 books — 128 voters
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Eye of the World by Robert JordanA Clash of Kings by George R.R. MartinHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Best Fantasy of the 90s
14th out of 197 books — 442 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

NOTICE: this reread is in preparation for finally biting the bullet and reading book 14. That means I HAVE NOT read book 14 yet. Please be mindful of this in the comments, both for me and for others who may or may not have progressed past this point in the series. Thank you.

I'd forgotten how much happens in this book . . . Holy WOW.

This is the first (but not the last) book that begins with a several seemingly non-related POVs, and as impatient as I always am to "
Markus
“The Shadow shall rise across the world, and darken every land, even to the smallest corner, and there shall be neither Light nor safety. And he who shall be born of the Dawn, born of the Maiden, according to Prophecy, he shall stretch forth his hands to catch the Shadow, and the world shall scream in the pain of salvation. All Glory be to the Creator, and to the Light, and to he who shall be born again. May the Light save us from him.

The People of the Dragon hold the Stone of Tear, and mighty C
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

In The Shadow Rising, things start to slow down. In fact, it often feel like the reading of the story must take longer than it took for the events to actually occur.

Part of the problem is that Mr Jordan tells us nearly everything except when the characters make a bowel movement. Also, he regularly launches into pre-set spiels in which he re-describes something or someone who we've encountered numerous times before or re-explains something we've be
Evgeny
Before I start my review, there is something I really need to get off my chest. GAWYN TRAKAND IS A COMPLETE IDIOT WHO HAS A DUBIOUS DISTINCTION OF BEING THE MOST IDIOTIC GOOD GUY IN THE HISTORY OF FANTASY, OR LITERATURE IN GENERAL. Sorry, I had to do it; now back to the review.

It is hard to say anything about the fourth book in a series without giving huge spoilers. I will just give my thoughts about the major characters, their development, and plot-lines.

Mat slowly becomes the most interesting
Jeannette Nikolova
Back on track! Or should I say, this escalated unexpectedly?
The last book for me was so far the least engaging, but this one not only gained the previous pace of the series, but took the whole story on an entire new level.

Approved:
- The parallel stories in Two Rivers and Aiel: I ABSOLUTELY LOVED reading about Aiel. I already had some suspicions about their culture, but seeing it all, and especially the part in Rhuidean! Hell to the yeah! And since Perrin is my favourite ta'veren, I couldn't ge
Matt Brady
Part 5 - Shaido or Shaidon’t, There Is No Try

This is a reread of the entire Wheel of Time so spoilers ahead for the whole series.

Now we are getting somewhere. This is the book where Wheel of Time really starts to take shape and become the series I remember. Thousands of characters! Hundreds of prophecies, visions, and hints! Dozens of storylines! And a subtle but noticeable shift in focus. After being largely absent in Dragon Reborn, Rand returns to find he must now share the stage as Main Prota
Melina
Until this book, I really enjoyed this series. But at #4, it starts to take a harried, complicated turn and I started losing interest in the characters because so few of them act realistically at all as far as emotions go. And the attitudes toward female characters finally wore thin. At least in George RR Martin's books, even though the women were treated like crap, raped, beaten, etc, they still maintain dignity, bravery, and are overall very well-developed characters. Almost all of the females ...more
Allison
*Possible spoilers on the previous books*

The Shadow Rising is one of my favorites of the series - and one of my all-time personal favorites. It's almost 1000 pages long, but it doesn't feel like it. Actually, it feels more like three separate books once the group splits up again. The introduction to these 'three books' takes place in Tear as Rand tries to figure out how to rule a nation and deal with political intrigue. I enjoy the machinations and details of court just as much as I do fast-pace
Brandi
I can't even with these books. This one made me cry for the first time in the series (Perrin ;__;) and I'm just in shock that I'm still so in love with the series at this point. They're taking me forever to read though since they're so huge and I only read at night, lol; I've been reading this series since last year (ha! I made a funny).

Jude John
The last few pages of this book was what catapulted it to one of the best books i have read in recent times..... The ending without a doubt is so compelling that is paints an unforgettable experience in your mind..... Yes an experience as it is described with such clarity that you find yourself tumbling through the rubble as the world crumbles in a haze of stones and the one power...... Once the dust settles you are left with a feeling of profound satisfaction..... to have witnessed such an epic ...more
Dirk Grobbelaar
OK, my book reading schedule for the rest of the year is officially knackered. All thanks to this novel. It took me incredibly long to finish this, mainly because I got seriously stuck in the first third of the book.

It’s interesting to note that whenever the characters get bogged down, the story gets bogged down with them. In this case: Tear. The cast spends the first 350-odd pages of the novel hanging around in the same location. It’s not quite pointless, there is some intrigue and at least one
Igor Ljubuncic
Let's review the fourth book. I read it back in 1997, so I don't remember all the details too clearly. But I remember I enjoyed it quite a lot, especially the battle in Two Rivers. It's also the last of Jordan's good books. After this one, it's getting progressively slower and just worse. Maybe he ran out of steam, or he got so big, he decided to see how much he can get away with before the world screams in protest.

However, this is not the reason why you're here.

You want a limerick!

When Jordan w
Tanner
The Shadow Rising is the forth book in Robert Jordan high fantasy series. That has 14 books total. For me this one was a big step backwards from the previous three books. Especially from book number three The Dragon Rising. Which to me was the best book in the series.

My number one problem in the book was the length. Almost none of it felt important and having a book that's 980 and the glossary making it over 1000 pages it needed to be more interesting. The only parts that really seemed to matte
Michael
Wow...All I can say is wow. 1000 pages of pure awesome. The beginning of The Shadow Rising is a bit slow, but soon picks up pace. Throughout the entire read I was enthralled. This book finally starts giving us in-depth looks at other characters besides Rand al'Thor. We are able to witness much maturity and growth of Egwene, Perrin, and Nynaeve. Faile plays a much bigger role in this book and the romances that Jordan hinted toward in previous books actually come to fruition - and he does it well. ...more
Jonathan

The fourth part of fourteen books in the Wheel of Time is one of the best. This is a general opinion, not simply my own. However I tend to think that the last three so far have perhaps been my favourites in the series.

What works?

1. Storytelling - Robert Jordan knows how to tell a story and he is at the peak of his power in this novel. There are multiple perspectives involved which include all the main characters off on their individual tasks. Robert Jordan knows when to introduce certain plot
Dux
*SPOILER WARNING*

“The Shadow shall rise across the world, and darken every land, even to the smallest corner, and there shall be neither Light nor safety. And he who shall be born of the Dawn, born of the Maiden, according to Prophecy, he shall stretch forth his hands to catch the Shadow, and the world shall scream in the pain of salvation. All Glory be to the Creator, and to the Light, and to he sho shall be born again. May the Light save us from him.

-from Commentaries on the Karaethon Cycle
rmunk
I have really enjoyed reading "The Wheel of Time" series. The amount of detail Robert Jordan has put into his fantasy world is phenomenal. The characters are well thought out, diverse, and develop gradually as the story progresses. One of my favorite things about the books is the diversity of the peoples that populate Jordan's world. Jordan has taken elements from almost every different (mainstream) religion on the planet. He has elements from Islam, Hinduism, Shinto, Buddhism, Judaism...moreI h ...more
Jason

5 Stars

Shadow Rising, book 4 in the Wheel of Time series is the best thus far. It is a major detailed action novel where the pieces finally start coming in to place. I loved that the plot moved forward in such a way that we the reader were finally get some payoff after more than 3000 pages of reading.

This book is different than the first in that all our cast, especially Rand, behave as we are told that they should be and as they clearly will be. Prophecies begin to unfold, events come to pass,
aPriL does feral sometimes
If you are contemplating “The Shadow Rising’ as your next read, STOP. This is book four in a multiple book series. The books cannot be read out of order. Unless you, gentle reader, have completed the first three books in the series already, this novel will be very confusing and missing a great deal of emotional interest besides.

This is a dense and complicated sword-and-sorcery fantasy, where three young men who are pulling the threads of destiny with them travel about a large alt-universe world
Ivana Azap
Some characters in the series have no shortage of great lines. Mat’s one-liners stack up right alongside iconic statements like “Time to toss the dice” and genuine emotional outbursts like, “Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.”

I love Matrim Cauthon :D

"Blood and bloody ashes." -Mat (I actually say this on a regular basis.)

I’m no lord. I've more respect for myself than that. ~Mat

Thus is our treaty written; thus is agreement made. Thought is the arrow of
Lilyan
I know I said I wasn't going to continue with the re-read but I lost book 4 during our house move in August and I couldn't possibly buy a new one without reading it! Furthermore, it was a sign. My 4th, 5th and 6th books have different covers than the rest of the series and this has been weighing down on my heart and soul for the past 6 years. Now, I can buy the correct covers and continue with my re-read :D. Win-Win situation.

IMO this was the best book so far. The 3 books before it were world b
Mary-Ann
Gunner McGrath
This book had some of the coolest stuff in the series so far, and I was sure I would give it a five star rating. Unfortunately its long-windedness really worked against it -- whole chapters where nothing of value happened. I went from reading it for enjoyment to reading it to get it over with and move on to something else for a while. I still enjoyed quite a lot of it, though.

Tel'aran'rhiod is an incredibly cool place and every part of the story that took place there excited me. Perrin's story,
Eduarda
O mais lentinho dos 4. Adorei saber mais sobre os Aiel e o Perrin nesse livro brilhou muito! Pena que a Moiraine e o Hopper não apareceram muito.
BookBandit
This book could have been 1/3 shorter and it would've been a 4 or 5 star....

Love the series so far, but the stretches of when the storyline drones on a little really hit me in this book #4. The first 3 books, the characters travelled the map. It seems each character has their own local situation (less interaction, Matt and Rand are doing their thing, Min is doing her thing, Nyv and Elayne are doing their thing, Egw is doing her thing, etc.) in this book.

The book has its flashes of usual brillian
Justin Kemppainen
I did not finish this book, which is something I seldom do. Even with a couple of months of distance from the series, I don't know if I'll ever pick it up again. I might see in a while, but who knows?

I felt like nothing was accomplished in almost 700 pages of text. All of the characters continued to repeat irritating behaviors, and I just felt no longer invested in anything happening to them. The fact that I was less than a quarter finished with the series which felt like it was already dragging
Greg Markwardt
Just finished this massive book in this massive series and it still does not wow me.

The story is well written and the characters interesting but you find yourself favoring a character group and being bored or uninterested in the rest just waiting for the others to be reintroduced. The story and pacing shines during scenes of action but the novel on the whole is constantly bogged down for long stretches where you just have to force yourself through it.

There is still a lot of intrigue to the stor
Michael
So, this is where I stopped reading. I attempted the book twice and never made it past page 300. Reading this series is, for me, sort of like watching paint dry. Only more annoying.

But, last night, I had a dream that I finished this book, and the END WAS AMAZING. The end of this book (in my dream) was so good I fell in love with the series.

Is it an omen? Or do I just have really, really lame dreams?

(They aren't always this boring. The night before, I dreamt I was trapped in a pitch-black attic
Greg Strandberg
I liked this book. You see the characters split apart more and you begin the long process of having multiple story lines going at once. It gets a lot harder to follow after this, and the books start to go downhill. I'd really say that Book 4 is the last good one, maybe some of Book 5.

My suggestion? Read the whole series, but if you've read them before and want to read the last 3 now that it's finished, just skim over some of the mid-books. But the first 4 of this series are great!
Fernando  Martins
Tirando o primeiro livro, eu achei esse livro o mais fraco dos que li da série. O livro passa suas mais de mil páginas em construção de coisas que serão reveladas nos próximos livros, tendo um clímax nos 4 capítulos finais. A história poderia ser bem mais curta, muita descrição de coisas inúteis. Tem uns capítulos geniais como os de Rand vendo a história dos Aiel segundo os olhos de seus descendentes, mas, no fim, eu acho que fiquei um pouco decepcionado.
Robert Jordan portrayal of men in WOT 7 64 Mar 07, 2015 05:13AM
what did you think of the wheel of time series 24 160 Mar 06, 2015 08:25PM
Favourite Character 42 306 Feb 23, 2015 08:29PM
why did jrdan make most the women in the series completely annoying b%#$^# 23 206 Dec 31, 2014 05:57PM
please help, I'm lost and don't want to spoil the rest of the book 8 87 Nov 05, 2014 04:07PM
Robert Jordan viewpoint on men ? 4 68 Aug 22, 2014 10:41PM
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • House of Chains (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth, #4)
  • Exile's Return (Conclave of Shadows, #3)
  • Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)
  • Crown of Shadows (The Coldfire Trilogy, #3)
  • Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 2 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 2)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)
The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2) The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3) The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, #12) Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time #13)

“You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long.” 234 likes
“Do not trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.” 77 likes