Start by marking “Scandal Becomes Her” as Want to Read:
Scandal Becomes Her

Scandal Becomes Her (Becomes Her #1)

New York Times bestselling author Shirlee Busbee weaves the intricate, unforgettable story of a chance meeting, a forced marriage--and the surprise of a love so passionate it cannot be denied...

Love Is Sweetest When It's Unexpected

Nell Anslowe and Julian, Earl of Wyndham, are an unlikely couple in every respect. Injured in a riding accident ten years ago, Nell was left w
Published June 1st 2009 by Zebra (first published June 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Scandal Becomes Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scandal Becomes Her

D.G.
If the description of this book gave you the impression that it would be an angsty historical where the long-suffering heroine is set free by scandal, let me disabuse you. It seems as if the author decided to mash together as many romance popular trends as she could, so here we have a regency-scandal suspense plot with paranormal undertones and a former spy for a hero. After reading these doozies, I was expecting the hero to be a Highlander in disguise.

It’s not a surprise that with that many plo
Heather
Nov 13, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story started out strong for me, leading up to Nell and Julian's engagement and wedding. But the addition of the supernatural elements didn't feel like it fit with the story and all these strong and interesting characters, particularly Julian, Marcus, and Charles. I think that the murderer plot could have been furthered without her nightmares. Also strange to me was how big a role her family seemed to play in her life, but after the wedding they dropped out of the story; considering her fath ...more
Wendy
Jun 11, 2011 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nell Anslow is a firmly on the shelf spinister heiress who is also crippled and suffers from debiliating nightmares in which she sees murders. But along comes a gentleman who is in need of a fortune and attempts to kidnap her only to be outwitted by the heroine who is discovered to be taking shelter with no other than Julian, the Earl of Wyndham, in a hunter's cottage. They are forced to marry and Nell spends her days feeling sorry for herself because her husband appears to be in love with his d ...more
Lucy Herondale

Scandal Becomes Her is an enjoyable enough read, but nothing really grabbed my attention: not the writing, not the characters and definitely not the plot.

I think the book lacked development in all sorts of departments.

For example, both Julian and Nell, our protagonists, could have been immensely tortured characters.

Julian made a terrible match and was very unhappy in his marriage. We know he never loved his previous wife, just as she never loved him. She didn't give a fig about him, flaunted her
Ruth Hill
Jan 18, 2011 Ruth Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I began this book, I really wasn't sure what I would think of it. I love historical romances, but judging from the cover, I was concerned that it may have a lot of steamy sex scenes. I don't mind those scenes as long as they are within the confines of marriage. I know I'm old-fashioned, but that is just me.

I was instantly enthralled with the book. I loved Nell--I always love strong females, especially from bygone eras. And I also love books that take place in England. Both were true of this
Mιss •kαthєяίиє•  Τhε Emεrαℓd Pяίиcεss®
I just finished it and I have to admit that it was really really nice.
At first I had thought it would be a romance book - but - it was nothing like the others :) At first, Nell (the heroine) is found abducted and the Earl of Wynho saves her from the ton's gossip by marriyng her. But when she realises that she is in love with him but he is in love with his late wife, she falls in dispair. And her nightmares about a madman killing women by torturing them seems to make her lose yet again her happi
Jennifer Coleman
Oct 14, 2015 Jennifer Coleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book very much. Recommended!
Donna Schneider, ,
First time I have read Shirlee Busbee

love this book. it keeps you going and not wanting to put the book down. well written and good story line. . read it ___you will not be sorry.
Geisha Cielos (loquaciousreaders)
Interesting yet entertaining read. I found the whole mysterious side of it a bit odd, but loved how the relationship started. I may just continue with the series.
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fun historical romance
Persis Menon
Mar 19, 2017 Persis Menon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I'm reading Shirlee Busbee, and damn am I glad I found her. The books are wonderful! Then again I think the only reason I did come across this title is cause it was ready by Ashford MacNab! Both are a delightful combination. Rushing to the second in the series!!!....
Dorothea Müller
Die schöne Nell hätte einen schweren Unfall und ihr Verlobten verlässt sie. Doch sie wird wieder ganz gesund, nur noch ein humpelnd erinnert an den Unfall. Als Sie zu einer Hochzeit gezwungen werden soll, kann sie fliehen und schutz in einer Hütte finden. In dieser Nacht finden auch der Earl of Wyndham Zuflucht in dieser Hütte. Durch das Gewitter merkt keiner von beiden das der andere da ist. Als der Morgen kommt, taucht ihr Vater auf und das Schicksal nimmt seinen Lauf.

Ich mag ab und zu mal ein
Kelly
Feb 12, 2017 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 Stars.

The story would have been better without the supernatural elements. That aspect of the story was actually pretty stupid—it didn't quite fit in with the rest of the story.
JoAnn
Jan 14, 2012 JoAnn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This book is about half what I expected when I picked it up at the library. From the description on the back cover, I was not expecting the creepy, paranormal, linked-to-psychopathic-murderer part. The savagery of the murders, even though they are not described in detail, is not the sort of thing I was looking for. It is the reason I do not read certain types of books, or watch certain types of movies or TV shows.

I don't mind there being some ugliness in my romance reading, but this was, for me,
Amy
Aug 27, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had just the right mix of mystery and romance. I really enjoyed Eleanor and Julian as characters. The supporting cast was also very good. I really felt that I was engaged in the story and that all the plot lined up and made sense.for me this was one of those books that I could tell with the four-star rated but if I had to say one reason that I gave at that score, I wouldn't be able to do it. I gave it the rating because I enjoyed the characters, the plot, and the writing. Everything wi ...more
Jody
Nov 13, 2011 Jody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Javeriya
Enjoyed the book alot till i reached the end.
To be honest, I found the book really gripping, though the ending turned out to be extremely disappointing. Seemed like the author was fed up in the end and was in a haste to get done with the end.
The readers deserved a more eligible reason for such monstrous killing rather than a simple ending described in the book. Even the part where Tynedale dies seemed quite unacceptable, like how can things turn to normal so easily.
Ilze
Feb 14, 2011 Ilze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The love story was fairly good and the hero and heroine were lovely. But too many totally unlikely coincidences and the murder subplot reduced my enjoyment. Still - I think I'll look for the next 2 books in the series - it sure looks like the other 2 positive male characters (Charles and Marcus) are due for books of their own.
Heather
Jul 28, 2010 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
O M G!!! Just when I think Busbee starts to find her groove, she drops it like a hot potato! I was really looking forward to this one, the heroine has a lame leg, yeah right only it was like brought up 3 times at the most. There was just too much junk and preposterous secondary story regarding the h/h. I don't think I'll be buying Busbee anytime soon..
Lisa
Jun 10, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I enjoy paranormal books as well as historical romance, this book was for me as it combined these two genres. I like Nell because she is spunky and level-headed, a perfect match for Julian. The mystery surrounding Nell's nightmares was interesting, but I did have the plot figured out before I finished reading.
Kim
Jul 20, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
Kate
Jul 03, 2008 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was a very good story for the most part. It really needed an epilogue. I know the industry doesn't always like such things, but I was sorely disappointed especially after they made such a big deal about the heroine's pregnancy. An epilogue in which we were told or shown the birth of the child would have made much better closure for me. It would have made the story complete.
Elaine
Jul 14, 2014 Elaine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book started out with great potential. Sadly it all fell apart for me once the heroine and hero got to his estate. I will probably try the other books in this series to see if they're any better.
Kathi Kelley
4.45

A well written, tight, believable historical romance with a variety of three dimensional characters. The story is fast paced with good detail. This is the first book I have read by this author but it will not be the last. I rated the story at 4.45 and assigned it a sexy rating of 3.75
McKayla
Sep 13, 2011 McKayla rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As far as this being a romance novel I felt that there was too much time put towards the mystery. I felt the couple was hardly ever together and yet again I never connected with the main characters. I'd say skip it.
Natalie
Mar 19, 2014 Natalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I was curious to see why this was the most book downloaded in the state of Nevada (at least I read that somewhere). I liked the plot overall, but I did get tired of the miscommunication. That is always a pain to me. Still, just fluff. Done reading for a while now. I really got to focus on work.
Stacie
An historical romance where woman is injured in a previous accident and her fiance abandons their engagement. Then she mets a man and they are caught in a compromising position. They are "forced" to marry and they fall in love.
Dragana
The paranormal and serial murderer part was not needed. I think this would be a better book without it and if more attention was given to description of emotional reactions between characters.
Leslie
Oct 17, 2011 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and captivating romance accompanied by a surprisingly scary mystery! There were a few cheesy moments, and the language was rather forced or overdone in places, but I still couldn't put it down. Fun read!
Danette Steward
Oct 09, 2012 Danette Steward rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: busbee-shirlee
I sure wish the author would have indicated on the back blurb that this was going to be as romantic as a Nancy Drew book AND the plot was a gruesome murder mystery to solve. I was B-O-R-E-D out of my head. I started skimming 1/2 way through and didn't miss a thing. Absolutely sucked.
Scandal Becomes Her by Shirlee Busbee -Story board on pinterest 6 6 Feb 12, 2013 09:33PM
  • Lady Beware (Company of Rogues, #14)
  • Seduced By A Scoundrel
  • To Love a Princess (The Kazanovs, #2)
  • How To Seduce A Sinner
  • Ripe for Pleasure (The League of Second Sons, #1)
  • Confessions at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #2)
  • Too Tempting to Resist (Lords of Midnight, #2)
  • A Gentleman Always Remembers (Willowmere, #2)
  • Don't Bargain with the Devil (School for Heiresses, #5)
  • Once Upon A Wallflower
  • Countess of Scandal (The Daughters of Erin, #1)
  • Bedding the Heiress (Cameron Sisters, #4)
  • No Man's Bride (Misadventures in Matrimony, #1)
  • Reese's Bride  (Bride's Trilogy, #2)
  • A Bargain Bride
  • Practical Widow to Passionate Mistress (Transformation of the Shelley Sisters, #1)
  • Arabian Pearl (Brothers of the Absinthe Club, #1)
  • The Last Rogue (Regency Quartet, #4)
Shirlee Elaine was born 9 August 1941 in San Jose, California, USA. She was the first daughter of a career naval officer, later she had two sisters and three brothers, they raised traveling the world. She went to the institute in Kentri, Morocco, after which she returned to California and she went to Burbank Bussines College of Santa Rosa, where she received a certificate in 1962.

Shirlee married w
More about Shirlee Busbee...

Becomes Her (6 books)
  • Seduction Becomes Her (Becomes Her, #2)
  • Surrender Becomes Her (Becomes Her, #3)
  • Passion Becomes Her (Becomes Her, #4)
  • Rapture Becomes Her (Becomes Her, #5)
  • Desire Becomes Her (Becomes Her, #6)