Start by marking “The Faces Of Angels” as Want to Read:
The Faces Of Angels

The Faces Of Angels (Inspector Pallioti #1)

A sweltering day in Florence, and newly-wed art student Mary Warren breaks away from her tour group in the Boboli Gardens to wander into a shady tunnel of trees. But the tranquil setting conceals a complex maze and a masked killer: within minutes Mary has been severely attacked and her husband brutally murdered.

A year later and the ‘Honeymoon Killer’, Karel Indrizzio, is
Hardcover
Published July 7th 2006 by MacMillan (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Faces Of Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Faces Of Angels

Anne
Dec 29, 2010 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucretia Grindle's The Villa Triste made my top ten last year, I've recently really enjoyed The Nightspinners, and this one - the middle novel of the three - was equally excellent. I'm not really much of a thriller/murder reader but this was in a different class. One of the main characters was really Florence itself - you really live and breathe it, walk the streets, stand on the balconies, feel the fear in the dark alleys. And there's a pervading atmosphere of fear and danger all through this b ...more
Deborah
Set in Florence, Italy, this is a suspense thriller having to do with an American art student who is attacked and tortured by a masked assailant when she wanders off the sight-seeing path into a dark glade. Her husband is murdered in an attempt to rescue her. This flight off the path symbolizes Mary's reckless and curious nature which intensifies the tension and suspense throughout the novel. The title of the book hints at the multiple faces of "angels."

Mary/Maria returns to Florence a couple of
Joan
Jun 23, 2012 Joan rated it liked it
this is one of those books that really pulls you in and hooks you although the pace is slow..set in Florence it really evokes the city and all of its wonders but there is also a dark side ala Venice in "Don't Look Now". I kept getting signs of approaching creepiness and sometimes have to put it down if I am not ready to do creepy at that moment.

Finished the book finally - the pace was too slow but it is a good read...
Alison Kennedy
May 25, 2011 Alison Kennedy rated it it was amazing
Another great novel by Lucretia Grindle - the minute the setting is anywhere in Italy I am hooked but Florence made it even more appealing. Has all the great elements of a detective/mystery book and adds in lovely food, setting and atmosphere. Loved every minute of it and struggled to predict the ending.
Kiran
Jul 23, 2011 Kiran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book managed to keep me interested, although it could've been slightly more fast-paced. But the storyline has such great potential (wouldn't be surprised if a movie follows) and at least the ending managed to keep some elements of surprise. Would recommend it.
Candy Lovegrove
Jan 27, 2017 Candy Lovegrove rated it it was amazing
As a few other reviewers have pointed out, this book is a bit slow to get into but once I was in, I was hooked and by the end everything else in my life took a back seat while I finished it. There are many twists and turns in the story and loads of red herrings making you think first one then another person is responsible for the horrific murders. I'm not going to give anything away so won't continue with that thread!
I'll just add a word about the author's knowledge of Florence. - superb! She o
Juliet
Apr 27, 2014 Juliet rated it liked it
The biggest appeal of this suspense novel is the true and utter beauty of the Italian landscape. Mary Warren is the character who is immersed in this beauty, yet that feeling of splendour soon turns into a nightmarish event. Mary is a newlywed - and the definition of that particular word is supposed to be a person who is happy, on top of the world, and looking forward to an incredible future - yet, that is not exactly the way Mary Warren felt. Being in Florence for three months - which was basic ...more
Tjitske
Dec 18, 2016 Tjitske rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
A book set in one of my most favourite cities, Firenze. A recipe for success. Although I did like her other book, Villa Triste, better, it still was a nice case of whodunnit. Several candidates caught my eye including the one who actually was the killer. I like the way of writing and will for sure read her other books.
Michelle
Mar 17, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense
(3.5 stars) Mary is returning to Florence after taking time away to set her life in order after a brutal attack on her and the murder of her husband as he tried to protect her. His seemingly selfless act is tempered by the fact that Mary was having an affair with a journalist there, and is now returning to be with Piero. While her husband had journeyed to Italy to be part of a gathering of religious people, Mary went as an art student and is now returning to continue her studies after the death ...more
Bowerbird
Jan 17, 2011 Bowerbird rated it it was ok
Shelves: pre-2011-read
This book is written in the present tense, which can make things more immediate. But few authors do it well and I am sorry to say this isn't a good example.
Mary has returned to Florence obstensively to do an art course, only a short while after she sees her husband murdered there. Her main motive however,seems to be to renew her friendship with the man she is really in love with.
She shares a flat with a fellow American student and we are introduced to the other students - a mixed bunch. The Ja
L.j. Hutton
Jun 30, 2014 L.j. Hutton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up on the off-chance through the Kindle deal of the day - so glad I did!
This is a cracking good read with the suspense kept right the way to the very end. What's more, despite the fact that normally I find writing in the present tense very off-putting, this is so enthralling that you don't notice. At the outset, Mary, the person telling the tale, is attacked in Florence and her husband is killed. What follows is the story of what happens when she returns to Florence over a year lat
Julie
Dec 19, 2014 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really like this book at first. I started reading it after finishing Villa Triste. I thoroughly enjoyed that book, learned it was the second in the series, and bought the first Pallioti book. I soon realized that he's more of a minor character in The Faces of Angels. Other than mentioning him (more than a few times, I'll give you) as having been around, he doesn't come in as a character until over halfway through. Even then he isn't really the person that figures everything out. I say t ...more
Lori Shafer
Jul 18, 2016 Lori Shafer rated it really liked it
Set in Florence, Italy, Faces of Angels begins when an American couple has moved to Florence. The husband teaches a a nearby school. His wife exploring the stunning city faces her truths. First, she loves Florence. Second, she does not love her husband. She is not even sure she ever loved him. Lastly, her heart is now is the hands of her Italian lover.

On a fateful day, her life changes forever. While exploring the ruins of Florence, she is brutally attacked. Her husband gives his life to save he
Netti
Mar 18, 2015 Netti rated it it was amazing
Shelves: krimi, italien
Lucretia Grindle ist eine meiner besten Entdeckungen der letzten Zeit und "Faces of Angels" das dritte ihrer Bücher, die ich gelesen habe (Villa Triste, Lost Daughter). Während die Handlung eher langsam und harmlos beginnt, baut sich unterschwellig zunehmend ein gruseliges Gefühl auf - ganz so, wie die Protagonistin das Gemälde "Primavera" von Boticelli beschreibt...

Bei kritischer Betrachtung finde ich die Psychologie des Täters nicht wirklich glaubwürdig, Teile der Geschichte sind etwas klische
Sehar
Jul 12, 2016 Sehar rated it it was ok
Came close to putting this book away many times while reading it.
The first half is painfully slow. I found myself skipping entire pages of what was paradoxically the most rewarding thing about the book... It's descriptions of Florence.
I don't know what genre this book was aspiring too. It's definitely not suspense because I figured out who the killer was shortly after he was introduced. With the pace of the story, it's decidedly not a thriller. And there is no detective work in it to qualify i
Jenny
May 28, 2013 Jenny rated it liked it
I was eager to read another book by Lucretia Grindle, as I so enjoyed Villa Triste. This book took a little longer to engage me, likely because so many of the characters are unlikeable. I was about midway through the book when I started to become more invested in the story, and I found the second half of the book to be suspenseful (and at times, frightening). I stayed up late the night I finished the book in order to learn the ending of the story, as I was worried I'd be too afraid to go to slee ...more
Michael
Oct 15, 2012 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a good year for me, I have been reading terrible books lately. Sadly this is not an exception, the writing style was weak, the story failed at consistency and the characters were forgettable. I wish I can tell you what the story was about but the only thing that I can tell you is that it was about a unsolved murder and how the past came back to haunt a married woman. It does sound interesting does it? Ehh I thought about not reading it,but I gave it a shot. Never will I ever go again ...more
Christina
Generally well written and keeps you guessing to the end. Rather too wordy, strangely enough, as though the author wandered around Florence writing little vignettes about all the lovely places she came across and then just dropped them into the narrative. At times the narrative lags sorely as she describes in painstaking detail every step and building as the main character moves from one locale to another. But: a decent read.
Lara
Nov 13, 2011 Lara rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Yes, one of the main characters and the appeal of the novel is Florence - found myself googling places and wanting to visit. Mary, a mature art student, a supposed survivor of a serial killer, is impelled to carry out her own research into who is ceremonially murdering women in the city. Although she is, perhaps not surprisingly, a spiky and annoying character, you keep with her as it is not clear 'who done it' till the final reveal.
Patricia
Aug 04, 2016 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly chilling and engaging thriller. Very well written (apart for the annoying Americanism trotted out by the characters at every opportunity- "anyways" - totally unnecessary), I really didn't want to put it down. Once of those books you are sad when they end. Good surprise ending earns lots of points, and beautiful descriptions of Florence make me want to visit there. A very good book and worth a try if you like murder mysteries.
zenbren
Sep 28, 2013 zenbren rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I really enjoyed this book,mostly because of its evocative descriptions of Florence and Italy 's rich culture. The storyline-- American 30 something returns to Florence 2 yrs after she is attacked in a Florentine park and her husband is murdered in an attempt to save her- moves at a slow and meandering pace. The " heroine" Mary was improbable and to me selfishly unlike able. Yet I would still recommend this a classy who dun it.
Connie53
Jan 10, 2016 Connie53 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
Dit debuutboek van Lucretia Grindle is zeker niet haar beste boek, maar ik heb het toch met plezier gelezen. Het begin is wat warrig geschreven maar dat trekt tegen het einde wel bij. En ik zag sommige dingen al van ver aankomen. Maar in het geheel een aardig boek. Ik geef het boek een 7, dus hier drie sterren.
Desiree
Mar 27, 2013 Desiree rated it really liked it
Thriller / whodunit set in Florence. Totally different from the other book I read by Lucia Grindle (Villa Triste). Liked the descriptions of the city, which were very evocative.
Interesting plot about a serial killer who is targetting women in Florence.
One of the woman has survived and returns to Florence after she thinks the killer has died. And then the killings start again.
Catherine
Mar 28, 2013 Catherine rated it it was ok
I was really disappointed with this having really enjoyed the first book I read by this author. Lovely setting in Florence but the author was trying too hard to portray this to the point of disturbing the storyline. Atmospheric descriptions felt like the were there just for the sake of it. But good suspense and I didn't guess whodunit
Gina
Jul 18, 2013 Gina rated it liked it
The story picks up slow with description of Florence and a dynamic sidekick named Billy. It's rare for one to love the supporting character more than the heroine, but I certainly thoroughly enjoyed Billy's personality and person. The chase to the climax was enjoyable, only if there were less description of the surrounding enveloping the situation.
Jane
Jan 16, 2012 Jane rated it did not like it
Gawd help us. If you'd seen your husband killed and nearly bought the ranch yourself in Florence, why would
you go back? And why would you wander around alone, late at night, unless you had a death wish? A deeply
irritating heroine and a slow crawl of a read.
Dora Okeyo
Apr 22, 2014 Dora Okeyo rated it really liked it
'We live in the picture, but rarely see it.'

Pallioti, a detective in Florence, tells Mary when they are looking for a serial killer. It seems like the perfect story, but the thrill, the chase and the moments of uncertainty are what made this book an interesting read.
Celine
Jan 22, 2016 Celine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The writing style didn't capture my interest and the story was so slow to unfold that I stopped after about 150 pages. It got so dull that I didn't even care about finding out what exactly had happened to the protagonist
Kristin
Aug 01, 2016 Kristin rated it liked it
Turns out, this was no Villa Triste. Where that book benefited from 2 storylines in past and present, this one stayed with Mary the whole time. The murder mystery was Ok, but not really too perplexing: only a couple of candidates in the who-dun-it.
Irene
Jun 09, 2015 Irene rated it liked it
This book was kind of a modern day gothic. The suspense was chilling and it built page afte page. I enjoyed the author's descriptions of Florence and the all the extra little interesting insites that happen to an expat.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Murder in Tuscany (Sandro Cellini, #2)
  • Pretty Little Dead Things
  • The Killing Song
  • Addicted to Love
  • Blotto, Twinks and the Dead Dowager Duchess (Blotto and Twinks, #2)
  • John Lennon
  • The World's Most Evil People
  • Margaret Rutherford: Dreadnought with Good Manners: A Biography
  • The Arm and the Darkness
  • The Goat Woman of Largo Bay: A Novel (A Shadrack Myers Mystery)
  • Nights of Rain and Stars / Whitethorn Woods
  • Ten Little Herrings
  • City of Silver: A Mystery
  • Search the Seven Hills (The Quirinal Hill Affair)
  • As Always, Jack: A Wartime Love Story
  • The Girl in Alfred Hitchcock's Shower
  • The Westminster Poisoner (Thomas Chaloner, #4)
  • Enemies at Home (Flavia Albia Mystery, #2)
Lucretia Grindle was born in Boston Massachusetts and grew up spending half her time in the United States and half her time in the UK. Continuing as she started out, she still splits her time, but now calls the coast of Maine home.
More about Lucretia Grindle...

Inspector Pallioti (3 books)
  • Villa Triste