Start by marking “The Homesteading Handbook: A Back to Basics Guide to Growing Your Own Food, Canning, Keeping Chickens, Generating Your Own Energy, Crafting, Herbal Medicine, and More” as Want to Read:

With the rapid depletion of our planet’s natural resources, we would all like to live a more self-sufficient lifestyle. But in the midst of an economic crisis, it’s just as important to save money as it is to go green. As Gehring shows in this thorough but concise guide, being kind to Mother Earth can also mean being kind to your bank account! It doesn’t matter where your ...more
Published May 25th 2011 by Skyhorse Publishing (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Homesteading Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Homesteading Handbook

Melissa
This is a really enjoyable book to flip through, and it's great if you're looking for ideas pertaining to sustainable living. The full-color photos are fantastic, and there's a very wide range of topics, from composting toilets to herbal medicine, but each one is treated in such a cursory manner that it would be hard to successfully put many of the ideas into practice without accessing another, more in depth, source.
Zach
Mar 21, 2012 Zach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading factual books and this one was no exception. This book was filled with hundreds of pages covered with invaluable information that will and has helped me improve my everyday life. I would recommend this book to any outdoorsy person or people living in rural enviroments.
Ann Keller
May 09, 2010 Ann Keller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Do-It-Yourselfers
Shelves: reference, gardening
Homesteading is extremely relevant, as we pursue our efforts to adopt a more “green” lifestyle on a worldwide scale. The reader will find a host of useful ideas in this book, ranging from growing your own food, canning fruits and vegetables, smoking meats, designing and erecting wind turbines, the art of keeping bees, constructing poultry houses and even solar and thermal heating systems. Photographs and designs will spark the reader’s imagination and, hopefully, lead to a better and cleaner Ear ...more
Wendy
Oct 20, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw this book at the library and checked it out because i wanted to get more information on raising chickens. Which I found out that it was way too basic of info to be of much help. I really needed detailed instructions or tips to start chicks and keep them healthy. The book told more about how to build a chicken coop... which i didn't need. but overall it was really quite interesting - even soap making recipes and canning foods recipes!
William
Nov 09, 2010 William rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Emphasis is on breadth rather than depth.
Patricia
Apr 27, 2010 Patricia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one!
This is the worst how-to book for homesteading/gardening/raising livestock/building/etc that I have ever read. You will get more useful information by getting a children's picture book on 'Clifford Goes to the Farm' than from this book.
Information here is either sketchy, not there, outdated, or just plain wrong. In the first aid section (and I'm still not sure why a homesteading book has a first aid section), it tells you how to put on a tourniquet! That's right next to the picture from the 19
David Gross
If you want a catalog of things to go study, an idea cache so to speak, then this book is fine.

If you want a guide to the things this claims to guide, then you really want Seymour's "The Self Sufficient Life and How to Live it." It covers roughly the same turf, but it is written from the position of experience. This book feels like it is written by someone who just googled each topic and did a summary of what she found. This is not inherently bad, but it makes the book much less useful than it s
Katie
Mar 22, 2013 Katie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was very disappointed in this book primarily because the title is so misleading. It is more of a pop-suburban form of more self-sufficient living than actual homesteading. The information is pretty basic and somewhat random (12 pages of food co-ops?, making your own bead jewelry? really?) The pictures are pretty but many doen't evoke backcountry homesteading life to me. A short section dedicated to stress management techniques (yoga and massage) and another on home decorating (hanging wall pap ...more
Connie Lindstrom
This is an interesting overview book but I guess there's not enough information to do more than dabble in any of the skills described. It's probably enough for many people, who'd perhaps prefer to try something once, get a mediocre result while they are working out the process and refining it for themselves. I'm more the sort of person who likes a little more complete information and specialized info right up front. Thus, for example, if I wanted to know how to make jam, I'd rather have a book d ...more
Rebecka
Good book. She starts off with an excited interesting tone, but then looses it half-way through the book. Or well, i lost interest when i found out that low acid foods require more labor to can and more equiptment, for instance the pressure cooker needed to take care of bacteria. Guess i'll stick with drying vegetables for now. But at least i didn't waste money on the wrong kind of canning kit.
I would recommend the digital copy because the size of the book was very inconvenient. When you open i
Kristen
Jan 06, 2012 Kristen rated it it was ok
First off, if you read this book cover to cover, I am pretty certain you would go blind because the type font is freakishly small. Information is distributed somewhat unevenly -- cursory info on growing plants for food but a huge chapter on canning? How am I supposed to grow enough to can anything? The book does serve as a good overview of a lot of ideas, but should probably be seen as a jumping-off point, rather than a definitive guide.
Bill
Jan 06, 2011 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the book most people will pick up for a casual read, but I'm a glutton for information. :) The book is packed with useful information that I recommend for anyone interested in gardening, self-sufficiency, and better, greener living. This is the kind of knowledge that doesnt get passed on from generation to generation much these days as we become increasingly more an urban culture. A must read in my opinion.
Emily Mellow
Sep 09, 2011 Emily Mellow rated it did not like it
I cannot even give this book a chance, because the text is too small to even think about reading. It's crazy small. Hopefully I'm not missing any valuable information. I think this book is trying to cover too much, and from briefly skimming it, it seems like it cannot cover any topic in depth. Better to get a book on beekeeping if that's what you're into, or generating your own power, or canning, etc. One book for all these topics could not do justice to them.
Astrid Yrigollen
This book is a great overview of the many different things a person who wants to start their own little back yard farm needs to know.
Its a great starting point if you want to see the different options you have if you want to do a little homesteading. Covers growing , canning preserving veggies & chickens, sheep,wool, shearing, energy systems,building a stanle, chicken coop, bee keeping and a lot more.
Cara
May 07, 2010 Cara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
OMG this book is self-sufficiency pr0n. I was already getting a bit nutsy about making local, sustainable food, making my own bread, learning to make my own cheese. This book makes me want to raise my own chickens and goats, make my own yogurt, basically move to the country, start a farm, and do my own everything. All with gorgeous pictures!

No room for details on anything--if you actually want to do any of this stuff, get a book on it. But lots of fun for dreaming.
Sara Q
May 12, 2012 Sara Q rated it really liked it
I didn't expect much from such a short book claiming to cover so many topics, but - wow! This could be a very handy reference book with a lot of helpful quick tips on things ranging from canning food to making compost. Many of these activities I will probably never try myself, but this is a good way to get a quick look at how much might be involved in that random new hobby you're considering.
Valerie
Jul 24, 2010 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of really useful and interesting information in this book, from growing plants in your garden to making your own cheese to alternative energy sources to recipes for homemade lip balm. Basically a broad view of each topic, but there was enough information to get a start with and determine if it's something you really want to delve into.
D
Aug 13, 2011 D rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Esthetically pleasing, perhaps inspiring, but not particularly in-depth. Many topics are covered including solid advice, but this should be viewed as more of a coffee table book than a reference book overall. Tons of pretty pictures and enough information to get someone started on various projects, but yeah, probably a lot like many other similar books out there cashing in on "the dream".
Mathew Carruthers
Skimmed through most of it, but spent most of my time looking through the edible wild plant section and checking out the handy companion planting chart. Unfortunately, it has to go back to the library today. Well worth looking into, especially if you've already read "Back to Basics" by the same author.
Cindy
Jan 18, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not deep knowledge on any subject, yet still a fantastic overview of a homesteading life, and with doable projects whether your idea of your homestead is a tomato plant in a bucket on the patio or an off the grid, water collecting, solar powering grow your own food, animals and animal feed providing sustainable farm. Lots of fun info, and shortcuts to do most projects on a budget.
judith kilgore-atkins
Love!! Has a step by step process on how to gradually get off the grid (or find the right place on the grid) w/out going cold turkey. Describes how to make your own energy, food, shelter and how to even be an *urban homesteader*. Very easy and enjoyable read. Love the illustrations and diagrams.
gina
A good beginner book to have on your shelves if you are interested in living off the land. It has a little bit about everything. I was especially enamored by the canning section. The pieces are short and easy to digest. If you're really about to homestead then you'll need other books to flesh out the brief coverage of topics in this one, but still a good overview and fun book to have.
Autumn
Jan 18, 2011 Autumn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, nonfiction
This is a great book for anyone who thinks they might be interested in doing more for themselves. It's not in depth or a true guide to doing much as it claims-but it gives a great overview of many homesteading things. It's a good book to see what is out there so you can read other books that are more in depth.
Amy
I did not like this as much as other homesteading books I've read, but it's still a useful book to give you a start. Whether you are trying to live more sustainably in the city or completely off the grid, this book won't be your Bible, but definitely a useful Cliffs Notes.
Lynne
A broad overview of home craft ideas; visually appealing photos and diagrams. Includes growing and preserving food, simple constructs for energy conservation, crafts, and do-it-yourself projects.
Recipes: making soap, chicken feed
Photos: edible mushrooms
Rose
A little short on information for each topic, similar to other self-sufficiency books where it seems too much is addressed minutely. Half the book is made up of images and charts, which also lessens the space for details. I borrowed this book from my local library.
Audrey
Aug 04, 2012 Audrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference-books
This book was ok as far as an overview. There were too many topics and not enough depth. I didn't read the entire book. I skipped over the subjects I didn't care about. There were lots of errors in the kindle version.
Timothy
Jul 26, 2014 Timothy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc-non-fiction
If you really want a book on homesteading, get "Back to Basics". This is more of a book for weekenders, hobbyists, and wannabes. (How in the world does Feng Shui and massage fit in with homesteading?)
Ann
Dec 27, 2013 Ann rated it it was amazing
So many inspiring ideas and helpful information. A pleasure just to look at the pictures about a range of activities that one can do - from cooking, canning, keeping livestock, crafting, and taking care of oneself.
Aja Marsh
Overall good general resource. Strength/value lies in thorough canning section, wild edibles photos, and off-the-grid plans and ideas. Lots of photos and diagrams. There is even a craft and well-being section! A good one to have on the shelf of a committed/novice homesteader.
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • The Encyclopedia of Country Living
  • The Ultimate Guide to Homesteading: An Encyclopedia of Independent Living
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living
  • Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
  • The Backyard Homestead: Produce All the Food You Need on Just a Quarter Acre!
  • Backyard Homesteading: A Back-to-Basics Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • Modern Homestead: Grow, Raise, Create
  • Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces
  • Reader's Digest Back to Basics: How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills
  • The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It: The Complete Back-To-Basics Guide
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
Abigail R. Gehring is a writer who divides her time between New York City and rural Vermont. She is the editor of Back to Basics, Homesteading, and Self-Sufficiency, and author of Odd Jobs: How to Have Fun and Make Money in a Bad Economy and Dangerous Jobs: The World’s Riskiest Ways to Make an Extra Buck. The Simple Joys of Grandparenting: Stories, Nursery Rhymes, Recipes, Games, Crafts, and More. ...more
More about Abigail R. Gehring...

“Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” —Frank Lloyd Wright” 2 likes