Start by marking “Ominous (Private, #13)” as Want to Read:
Ominous (Private, #13)

Ominous (Private #13)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  2,704 ratings  ·  125 reviews
The beginning of the end...

After they discovered a shocking secret about the original Billings Girls, Reed Brennan and Noelle Lange's world was turned upside down. But it's nothing compared to what happens next.

One by one, Billings Girls go missing from campus.

The entire community bands together to find the lost girls, hoping they're still alive. Reed can't believe tragedy
Kindle Edition
Published (first published February 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ominous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ominous

Alyssa Thomas
Ominous
By Kate Brian

Pages: 212
Read: once on March 19, 2011
Series: Private, # 13

As always, possible spoilers, so beware.

First Line: I couldn’t move.

If you have not read the Private prequel, The Book of Spells, you will be so lost. So, for the purposes of this review I will assume everyone reading this has read The Book of Spells.

At first I was a little skeptical of magic in this series. Not because I don’t like magic, in fact I love magic. Harry Potter and Charmed are two of my favorite things i
Angelia Fransisca Rusli
Okay. I should admit that every time Kate Brian's adding something about witchcraft stuff here, I started to roll my eyes. Not that it's bad, it's just.. it reminds me a lot of Indonesian soap opera where the heroine was all so powerful, a great descendant of the most powerful clan, was never accused wrong even if she's actually wrong + when the market's response to the products is very good, they'll produce more and more of it, even when some things should just ended there. As a result, the sto ...more
PurplyCookie
In typical Brian fashion the story is a series of unexpected twists and turns before finally ending...only to leave you with more questions.

As much as I have absolutely loved this series, I'm afraid that its changing. The first books were about academics, fashion, and the wonder and mystery behind the fabulous Billings Girls. But now, a prequel featuring "A Book of Spells"? This isn't Harry Potter or any of the fantasy mythologically-based books that I've also been reading! It better not turn i
Anushka
Sooooo disappointed. All that witchcraft and wizardry plot was just unnecessary and not to forget stupid. I did not expect this series to hit such an all-time low after a roller-coaster ride it had been from book 2nd to 8th. The idea of a being descendants of witches and Billings being a Coven was utterly ridiculous. I was waiting for an explanation that someone was just messing with Reed but it never came up. The ending was filmy too, with Noelle's dad dying while saving Reed from getting stabb ...more
Virginia
Utterly preposterous, ridiculous, absurd, unbelievable, nonsensical, fabulous, unputdownable, and amazing. Combining the noir suspense and posh girl warfare of a regular Private book with the feel of The Craft crossed bizarrely with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Ominous continues the exceedingly entertaining shark jump that is the introduction of the supernatural into a previously "secular" series.

I love the way this book finally summed up, repeatedly, all of the insane shenanigans that
Asiyah Ayaan
Hopefully worth my five stars!!!!!!!!! Usually Kate's writing is good, so I think it will be. And I don't want the series to end!!!!!!! Ms. Brian/Scott, if you are reading this, please don't make this series finish! they are the one things I lean on when life gets hectic!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Luv ya frvr!!!!!!!!!!
Amber
Typical YA - following all the Private-esque juicy twists! I don't know what it is about these boarding school princess books but I love them! I love how Kate Brian has tied everything together while continuing to make this series work.
I think these books are little mature and would only recommend them to ages 15 and up.
AtenRa
Loved loved loved the penultimate installment in the Private series! I can't believe 1. that I actually said "penultimate" and 2. that there's only one book left till the end of the series :( :(

Book Of Spells led the path for Ominous, as it's full of magic, witches, dreams of the future. Ominous went to a totally different direction than the rest of the Private books, because a small, tiny little piece of paranormal was added in it. I know that rubbed some people the wrong way, and it's understa
Erica Alyson
I don't want to write about what happens because it is so GREAT! Everyone should read this series.

I loved Reed, Josh, Noelle, Ivy, and Mr. Lange in this book! Reed and Noelle are the best main characters.

This is my favorite series and I don't want the next book to be the last :o(

I thought the witch storyline could be hard to follow this far into the series but it tied together to all events in the series very well!
Charlotte
These books are just getting more and more ridiculous as the series goes on. Honestly they should have ended it at book 9. Books 9-present just show that "Kate Brian" (real name Kieran Scott) has completely run out of ideas and is just writing random crap to add a little drama.
Malati
Don't like the direction this series has taken. Preppy rich girls was one thing, but preppy rich girls reading studying witchcraft is another.
Rachel
it was better than the last few but not as great as the books before Paradise lost.
Janelle Dazzlepants
Melanie
Ok I won't do a spoilers review on this one.
As a HUGE fan of Kate Brian I have loved all her books I've read. Book of Spells was still a good book spite the supernatural element I felt that shouldn't have been there. Well I feel the same about 'Ominous'. As always the story was gripping, well tuned, had a few shocks and a little predictability. But it was true to the other 'Private' series books and even if it had of received a 0 star rating I would still have read it!
I am glad we didn't see too
Siti
Karen
Ominous
An imprint of Simon&Schuster Children's Publishing Division 1230 Avenue of the Americas, New York, New York 10020
Kate Brian
$9.99 Pages.212
ISBN: 9781416984726

"Of course, promises are made to be broken." Ominous is the 13th novel of the Private series, written by Kate Brian. The novel is categorized under fiction. Kate Brian also wrote many other novels such as, the Privilege series, Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys, Ex-mas, and many more. Most of her books are for young adults a
Kathryn CA
Kari Anderson
After the shocking revelations made in the Private prequel, The Book of Spells, Noelle and Reed know they are descendants of the original Billings Girls and their legacy includes a mysterious coven of witches. But it’s nothing compared to what happens next.

One by one, Billings Girls go missing from campus.

The entire community bands together to find the lost girls, hoping they are still alive. Reed can’t believe tragedy has struck Easton again, and she begins to wonder if the Billings Girls are c
Cornelia
Oh, man. This has become a soap opera by now, the amount of ridiculousness is so high. Still, it works as a guilty pleasure that you don't take too seriously. And there were mentions of Charmed and even some nods to it so I was pretty amused by that. Seriously though, I'm kind of undecided with this magic thing. On one hand, it seems totally out of nowhere, and changed the tone of the story considerably. From the Gossip Girl atmosphere to Charmed... that's like... opposite worlds to me. On the o ...more
Andrea
Nicolle
I'm suprised Reed is still living and breathing as she seriously gets attacked every five minutes. No wonder the girl is on edge all the time! Yet again this installment of the Private series is jam-packed full of thrilling moments of terror and life threatening moments for Reed. She really does fill each and every day with action, whether she is working on school work, partying, getting murdered or loving it up with Josh, she never has a moment to rest.

The one thing which made this books stand
Mehsi
I was interested in this book, because of the Book of Spells. I read the Book of Spells last year, and loved it.

I have read the Private series until 8 (after that my library didn't have them anymore), though another reason is that I felt like it just dragged on a bit too much. Luckily this book was just a bit different from the others. What I read in the other reviews, that this one suddenly has magic and is focused on the whole Book of Spells book.

I was a bit worried I might miss the info of
Zoe Cohen
Ominous is the 13th book in the private series. It focuses on Reed adjusting to the thought that Noelle is her sister and Mr. Lange is her father. After all that went down in the last book she is excited to finish the year at Easton and with Josh. Because this is Easton that is not going to happen. She is drawn to the Book of Spells that was left by the former Billings girls and her and Ivy try it out. Just like Reed begins getting dreams where one by one her friends go missing and they all come ...more
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
Pretty much everything I've come to expect from a Private novel (in a good way!) + an interesting (?) paranormal-esque twist.

Reed & Josh are lovelies, and I think they just need to run away Easton and be safe together together. Adore that couple so much.

Noelle is, well, herself, but you can tell that she actually does care about Reed, especially now that they're family. I love Noelle when she's not stabbing Reed in the back.

Also, can I say that I love Amberly? I don't know, the girl just mak
Jessica Lawlor
*Spoilers ahead if you’re not up-to-date with the Private series

After finally reuniting with Noelle after her mysterious vanishing, Reed is ready to settle down and enjoy the rest of the school year in relative peace. But at Easton Academy, peace is definitely not in Reed’s cards.

In the previous book VANISHED, Reed learns that Noelle is her half sister. The girls grandmother tells them that they are special; and that there’s a secret waiting for them to discover back on campus. The girls return
Aileen
Okay so...IF THERE WAS MORE THEN ONE MORE BOOK I WOULD JUST STOP READING. I have been pretty freaking faithful and have read not only the private series but some of the privilege books as well and will ONE DAY finish those as well. Now...WHY DOES REED HAVE TO BE SOOOOO WHINY????? Ariana in Privilege doesn't whine like Reed, and when she writes under Kieran Scott her books are SO DIFFERENT but SO MUCH BETTER!!!!! I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!! The OTHER problem is that the first couple private books were ...more
Gemma
Ominous is the 13th book in the Private series and takes place after the shocking revelations made in Vanished. Note: It is recommended you read the series’ 2nd prequel, The Book of Spells, before reading Ominous.
I was really pleased with how the author played out the paranormal twist - it was totally believable and not cliche at all! In fact, it seemed a little unique compared to a lot of Supernatural YA novels we read today. Although I don’t completely understand why this somewhat change in g
Erin
I just want to point out that I feel bad for giving 3 stars for this book, because I have LOVED (and I mean literally been obsessed with) the rest of the Private series. I have loved it because of the witty writing, the relatable and complex characters, the great setting, and the intelligent explanations for all of the crazy things that have happened to Reed and her circle of friends (and enemies). However for me, this book feels like a different series altogether.
(Now for the spoilers so don't
Destiny
I would have given this book five starts, if it wasn't for those damn cliffhangers Ms. Brian is famous for. Ugh I swear I'll be totally hyped up and it'll end on a cliffhanger and my typical reaction is to curse wildly.

But I really enjoyed this book. I was a bit wary of the addition of witches. Although I love the paranormal genre, I had gotten used to the somewhat realistic boarding school genre of the Private series. I was a bit surprised at the end where it turned out that (view spoiler)
  • Devious (It Girl, #9)
  • California Dreaming (A-List, #10)
  • A Tale of Two Pretties (The Clique, #14)
  • Violet By Design (Violet, #2)
  • Crazy Hot (The Au Pairs, #4)
Kate Brian is the author of the SHADOWLANDS TRILOGY (SHADOWLANDS, HEREAFTER & ENDLESS), as well as the New York Times bestselling PRIVATE and PRIVILEGE series, and the wildly popular MEGAN MEADE'S GUIDE TO THE MCGOWAN BOYS. She also writes teen fiction under the name Kieran Scott.
More about Kate Brian...
Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys Private (Private, #1) Invitation Only (Private, #2) Confessions (Private, #4) Untouchable (Private, #3)

“I had a dream this morning too, and you were in it," he said. "I don't remember what it was about, exactly, but when I woke up I looked at the clock and it was exactly six thirty-two."
I felt an eerie tingle all down my back and froze with my spoon halfway to my mouth. "Really?"
He smirked and popped the cookie into his mouth. "No”
20 likes
“So let me get this straight," he said. "After everything that's happened on this campus-the murder, the stalking, the kidnapping-you want to go up into the woods-by yourself, in the middle of the night, based on something a ghost in a dream told you-and dig a hole?"
Well when he put it that way...”
16 likes