Start by marking “Ancient Revenge (Merryweather Lodge, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ancient Revenge (Merryweather Lodge, #1)

Ancient Revenge (Merryweather Lodge #1)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Emily couldn’t wait to visit her Aunt and Uncle in their quaint and mysterious little cottage near Stonehenge. But it doesn’t take her long to realize that her fairytale kingdom has a sinister twist. One night in her attic bedroom she is confronted by an evil entity that would taunt her for the rest of her stay and long after that. Who is this hideous creature and what doe ...more
Published October 15th 2010 by Whiskey Creek Press

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient Revenge

Tail of the Devil by Danielle DeVorVampire Academy by Richelle MeadShadow Kiss by Richelle MeadLast Sacrifice by Richelle MeadFrostbite by Richelle Mead
Paranormal and Vampire/Werewolf Books
278th out of 386 books — 309 voters
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareCress by Marissa MeyerSilver Shadows by Richelle MeadThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Upcoming YA Novels of 2014
496th out of 507 books — 1,372 voters

More lists with this book...

Laurie Garrison
Dec 22, 2010 Laurie Garrison rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who loves Suspense/Thriller
Spine-tingling, touching and pure captivating! I would love to see this in a movie. This is an excellent bone chilling thriller one that as I read I felt like I could be right there because the detail is so well written, lets just say don’t read this without a lot of light, I had goose bumps as I read. You’ll find a touch or horror, paranormal, suspense and mystery and I highly recommend this to anyone that reads any of them listed. You will also find. There are witches, ghost, a curse, reincarn ...more
Rebecca
AWESOME ... Most captivating book I have ever read. I cant remember another book that has had me so ingrossed. It is wonderful, captivating, thrilling and heartfelt. At times I smiled at times I cried. I think that it would make a wonderful movie.

Diana Leigh
Reviewed at Book of Secrets.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Pauline Holyoak has crafted a thrilling tale of vengeful ghosts, ancient magic, secrets, betrayal, and past lives. Just a warning...don't read this book while alone at night! There were a few spine tingling scenes that had me jumping at the slightest noise!

At 14, Emily travels from her home in Canada to the English countryside to visit her aunt and uncle on their farm called Merryweather Lodge. Emily soon gains the attention of two ghosts - a myste
Helen Stothard
What a gripping story. Like the best ghost stories there's more left to your own imagination, as opposed to a blood and gore fest, I always think this makes the story that much more chilling and suspenseful. Whilst the book is part of a set it's still a complete tale in it's own right, not that that stops me wanting to download and read the rest of the books in the trilogy.

It's a hybrid of quaint old English countryside and spine chilling horror, and beautifully written. There's just the right m
Christine Corretti
This book is viscerally engrossing. It makes me scared -- in a good way. I first learned about the Merryweather Lodge trilogy when I saw Pauline Holyoak's trailers for book 1. I was hooked. The other videos are just as fantastic.
I love mystery and am picky about what I read. This book pleased me immensely: multilayered, unpredictable -- I won't include spoilers here, but let me say that it makes you think: clues, puzzles. We get a new image of Stonehenge and its haunting (a pun!) mystery.
Annie Frame

Merryweather Lodge Ancient Revenge is without a doubt a page turner. I connected with Emily (the main character) from the start, so eagerly followed her through out the supernatural tale. Anyone interested in the paranormal will not be disappointed and will be left wanting more of the same. I really hope that this book is made into a film, because it is definitely edge of the seat movie material. Five stars from me!
Fran Orenstein
Merryweather Lodge, Ancient Revenge is an outstanding book and an excellent read. A spooky ghost story of revenge, the story is set in the bucolic Salisbury Plains of England around Stonehenge. You won't be able to put it down. Well-written by author Pauline Holyoak, I highly recommend it. You can get in on Amazon.com in Kindle format. I can't wait to read the sequel that was just released by Whiskey Creek Press.
Simone C
a spine tingling ghost story, kept me up well in to the night! I loved the characters especially the Aunt, could picture her with her gruff manner but heart of gold. and Merryweather Lodge, such a quaint English setting, but with such dark secrets, and a great twist at the end!
Pauline George
I won't put the synopsis here as you can get that yourself. What I want to write is what I thought about the book itself.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the first in this trilogy from Pauline Holyoak. The difference in the young Emily and the older more mature one is very well done and you can immediately tell she has grown up. Even though she still gets gooey eyed at 'the gorgeous Jonathan McArthur'.
I could feel the evil in the cottage and feared for not only Emily's safety but her sanity too.
I k
Lindsay Kendal
5 Stars

It’s been quite a while now since I gave a book 5 stars, but this one completely deserves that...and more!

I’ve said I have been looking for a book that would scare me, since nothing does anymore. Whilst this one didn’t actually frighten me, it definitely gave me the creeps... and that is NO easy task! While I was walking down my stairs to make a cup of tea in the middle of the night, (I’m a night owl) I actually felt as though I was being following. That’s how much this book sends your im
Brandy
Merryweather Lodge is a spine tingling, bone chilling story that leaves you on the edge of your seat.

At the age of 14 Emily is excited to visit her Aunt and Uncle in the beautiful Stonehenge England. It is a magical, mystical place for her. She loves the meadows and she's some what of a tree hugger. But has been warned to stay out of the wooden lot. Which she doesn't. Some very wicked things have been happening around Merryweather Lodge where her family lives. She comes across an evil entity in
Feather Stone
Dec 13, 2011 Feather Stone rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who loves suspense
Recommended to Feather by: a visit with the author, Pauline
At my recent Cole's book signing I met Pauline Holyoak. What a surprise to learn that she not only lives just a few homes down the street from me, but that she is also a published author. Her first book, Merryweather Lodge, Ancient Revenge, was published in 2010. This book was awarded the 2011 Readers Favorite Award Winner.
I started reading it and could not put it down. Having finished the first book, I am excited to start on Pauline's second book, the sequel, Merryweather Lodge - Malevolent Spi
Dellani Oakes
Emily Fletcher goes to visit her aunt and uncle at Merriweather Lodge when she's 15. She finds England far different from her native Canada. Strange and terrifying things start happening, including a visitation by an evil spirit who tries to possess Emily.

With the help of her Aunt Em, Emily is able to solve part of the mystery and brings a modicum of peace to the ghost of Mary Ellis, a child who lived in the house long ago.

Returning five years later for her uncle's funeral, Emily realizes there'
April

MERRYWEATHER LODGE:ANCIENT REVENGE by Pauline Holyoak is an exciting bone chilling paranormal romance/suspense set in present day Stonehenge,England.This is the first in the "Stonehenge" trilogy.The plot is thrilling and exciting especially if you enjoy paranormal,suspense,ghosts,ancient curses,sorcery,witchs,passion,sacrifice,and love.Mixed with mystery,and bits of humor. Young Emily who is only fourteen,from Canada,visits her aunt and uncle in Stonehenge, England she finds an evil entity in he
Geri Ahearn
"ONE CREEPY BONE-CHILLING THRILLER THAT WILL LEAVE YOU ON THE EDGE OF YOUR SEAT!"

Emily is anxious to visit her aunt and uncle at their cozy cottage, located in the lush English countryside. During her visit, Emily is invited to sleep in the attic. Within a few minutes after her aunt brought her to her room, Emily felt a strange presence behind her, wondering if the experience was simply due to an overtired mind on an exhausting day of travel. As she tried to brush off the events that took place
Misty Blankenship
This book isnt my usual read......I dont get into ghost stories very often.........But I am glad I started reading this one!
This book was scary, frustrating, creepy and so much more!
The way everyone just ignores everything that happens is unreal and to say your imagination is running wild.....I think I would have gone insane.
The lovely Jonathan McArthur.....I'm still unsure what to think of him hopefully by the end of book 2 I will have a better idea.
The nice lil turn of events at the end...Wow
Sandy
Very interesting book with a mixture of murder-mystery, horror, fairy tales, and romance. It was a page turner and kept me motivated to read. Although this was a great mixture, it seemed to be not enough or too much of one or the other and not really completing all the stories that were involved. Upon finnishing, I found it still left many unanswered questions but not enough for me wanting another book or keep me motivated for that next one.
Mary
I bought this book in the 'adult' section, but I think it's more a young adult story.
The book is written from Emily's view. In the first part of the book she is 14 years old (but sometimes acting like a 12 year old)... so the complete book did not feel like a story for adults.
Apart from that... a nice and spooky in-between read but not a high recommendation from my side.
Coreen
Spine tingling delicious! Suspense around every corner, and a straight from the heart storyline, about the trials and tribulations of growing up. Very well written, I felt as if I were there with Emily on this adventure!
Glenn Harris
Good writing, somewhat scary horror story, but a little too much in the "romantic" vein for my taste.
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Wanda Smith
Wanda Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Staci
Staci added it
Feb 27, 2015
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Paula P
Paula P marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Cami
Cami marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Wisdom of Evil
  • Tainted Blood (The Dark Element, #1)
  • Lycan It (Lycan, #3)
  • Changeling Dawn (Changeling, #3)
  • Blood Moons (The Blood Series, #1)
  • Halloween Fantasies
  • The Djinn's Dilemma
  • A Taste of Scarlet (Treeland Pack Tales)
  • Shifting Hearts (Wiccan Haus, #1)
  • The Spirit Box (John Hazard, #1)
  • Thief (Fringe, #1)
  • Claiming the Evil Dead (The Soul Catcher, #1)
  • Redemption (Night Marchers, #2)
  • Cat O' Nine Tails
  • My Brave Highlander
  • Dead People (Haunted Hearts #1)
  • Wild Heart (Wild, #1)
  • Flutterby
This book was inspired by my own experiences in a remote little cottage near Stonehenge. A chilling tale of love, passion, sorcery and sacrifice; laced with mystery and tied with humor...I live in western Canada but I grew up in England; in a coal mining village, my husband calls, "The place that time forgot." Go to my website and find out why.
More about Pauline Holyoak...

Merryweather Lodge (3 books)
  • Malevolent Spirit (Merryweather Lodge, # 2)
  • Ultimate Sacrifice (Merryweather Lodge, #3)
Malevolent Spirit (Merryweather Lodge, # 2) Ultimate Sacrifice (Merryweather Lodge, #3) Melanie Gets a Nanny