Start by marking “Tarot Plain and Simple” as Want to Read:
Tarot Plain and Simple

Tarot Plain and Simple

Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis is the book you've been waiting for! As the title indicates, this book presents the Tarot in clear language that anyone can understand. If you've had trouble learning the Tarot, this book gives the meaning of each and every one of the 78 Tarot cards -- both in simple terms and in-depth ones, both upright interpretations and those for ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Llewellyn Publications (first published December 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Tarot Plain and Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tarot Plain and Simple

Amit
Apr 27, 2012 Amit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If there is one book.and only book you need to.learn Tarot, then this is it. Though this was my seventh book on the subject but just the way we pick cards while doing tarot..this is the book we pick when we are stuck....great reference meanings for both upright and reversed cards, no complicated jargon or heavy diificult interpretation. The best part of the book.is that the meaning associated with the cards are 99% accurate, the other books on tarot hardly deliver 60-70%. The only thing i didnt ...more
Jace
Apr 04, 2008 Jace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an inkling of interest in Tarot
Recommended to Jace by: an old friend
TAROT PLAIN & SIMPLE was my first Tarot book, and I'm convinced it's the only one I'll ever need. In addition to providing a great introduction to the basics of Tarot, this book also provides detailed analysis of each card. And for those who don't wish to approach Tarot solely from the mystical angle, this book also explores the psychological/meditative/therapeutic properties of a Tarot reading.

TAROT PLAIN & SIMPLE features the lush and detailed illustrations of artist Robin Wood. For a
Kallie
Feb 05, 2010 Kallie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I use Tarot book more than all my others. One because I have the deck that's used AND! it's simple (hence the title)and easy to understand.
Jari Mäkeläinen
Mar 01, 2017 Jari Mäkeläinen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't like the way the cards are described. Each card gets a dozen or so interpretations of single words that often conflict with each other. Seems the card explanations are really random and don't seem to for most part follow Rider-Waite traditional meanings. Also I feel that the way of organizing the book by number value rather than per suite makes the book harder to navigate. Not my favorite tarot book.
Lee L.
Nov 16, 2016 Lee L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tarot
Why bother with Tarot? In the words of Anthony Louis, "The Tarot awakens our intuitive abilities." You will find nothing could be truer. Mr. Louis then explains that after a certain amount of experience with the cards, using intuition, the cards and their positions in a spread will suggest meanings outside the textbooks. This is what any good Tarot teacher wants his students to work toward. This book is a good place to begin that journey.

Mr. Louis uses the The Robin Wood Tarot for illustrations,
Caro
While ilthe writing was plain and the concepts simple, no greater understanding was communicated, making this 300 pages worth of assembled keywords, some of which ("Luke Skywalker") were rather strange, incoherent and wihout any link to real life.
Many ideas were repeated over and over in as many words as the other could think of, while more obscure ideas remained unexplained till the end, leaving me clueless as to why this particular card should refer to homosexuality, or Frodo.
Also, the revers
Caio
Sep 06, 2012 Caio rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lost-interest
This book is basically a list of card interpretations for the major and minor arcanas. It has brief sections describing a few common card spreads and some suggestions on how to understand what's presented to you, as well as a few example readings and brief appendixes on astrology and numerology. Nothing is contextualized; no reasons are given for anything and the symbolism is left wholly unjustified. Rather than teaching you how the tarot came to be and why it's understood as it is, this book wi ...more
K Kriesel
Aug 30, 2014 K Kriesel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This is an excellent basic, simple book on Tarot. Louis elaborates on the history of Tarot, different ways it can be used, how to evaluate both individual cards and entire spreads, and the meanings of cards, suits, and numbers.

But he repeatedly refers to certain cards as references to homosexuality and/or bisexuality.
Any sexuality is both too complex and too personal to be simplified into a Tarot card. To assign any sexuality to any Tarot card is both inappropriate and disrespectful.
He also clai
Chantelle
Nov 30, 2011 Chantelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have looked through many books on tarot, and being a beginner, I wanted a book that clearly explained the interpretations of the cards. It was very basic information, that is easy for anyone to understand. Goes over reversals, as well as up-right. I thought it could have went a little more in depth and it still would have been easy to comprehend, but it's just as the title says... Plain, and simple.
Joshua
Oct 30, 2012 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really appreciate this book. The art used in the book is from the Robin Wood Tarot Deck. If you own or use that specific deck then you have a reason to prefer this book over another. This book is really written for beginners. It is mostly just a description of attributes that are associated with each of the 78 tarot cards. Parts of it work better as reference material rather than something you read from start to finish.
Algernon
Dec 26, 2011 Algernon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: esoterica
Recently, I became interested in using tarot cards as writing prompts, and thus was interested in the mythological interpretation of the major arcana as well as the pips and courts. I was in the market for an introductory book suited for that interest, as opposed to divination, and the approach Anthony Louis takes here matches that interest quite well.
Jonathan
Aug 25, 2012 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have this book in it's not perfect Spanish translation but it is still one of my go to tarot references for those keywords that can jog your mind during a reading or open your mind to new ways to view the cards in different circumstances.

May be simple and beginner friendly but useful for all levels.
Twinkle T.
Mar 25, 2016 Twinkle T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tarot Newbies and Novices
Shelves: references
I love this book! This was one of the first books I bought when I started reading Tarot. It gives you a general background of the Tarot. The information about the cards are listed first and then further insight is described underneath. It is the same format for reversals too. Very easy to understand. It lead me to want to further my understanding of the cards, but it is a great quick reference.
Karen  (EarthAngel2911)
A terrific reference, but not the best for beginners. The keywords given for each card are so encompassing that if you were just getting to know Tarot, it would be difficult to narrow down which meanings applied to your reading.
Alice
Feb 09, 2012 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: tarot
Basic meanings. Good for a beginner to get an idea of how many meanings you can get for a cards.
Pia
Apr 01, 2013 Pia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book for well over a decade and it never leaves my bedside! I will never finish it, as I will keep it in my collection indefinitely!
Kimberly
Mar 01, 2008 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tarot
I use this book almost every day. Very easy to read. Easy to understand.
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Most awesome guide to accompany your Robin Wood deck. Loves it!
Melanie
Good primer for various aspects of each card. Also treats Celtic Cross spread intelligently. Appendices for astrology and numerology add further dimension.
Leamarie
Jun 17, 2009 Leamarie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dave G bought me this for my birthday a few years back...!
Kimberley Gretton
Jul 22, 2013 Kimberley Gretton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very helpful
Rose
Mar 10, 2009 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Tarot books and one to which I turn regularly for clarification and further thought on the cards.
Andy Zeigert
Mar 08, 2010 Andy Zeigert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't be fooled by the silly title. This is one is the easiest and most straightforward guides to the tarot I've come across. Highly recommended for beginners like me.
Denise Schiller
favorite tarot book ever!!! informative and helpful. this is the book I consult often...
Edward Ciafardini
Extremely helpful for beginner's offering very (but not overwhelmingly) modern explanations of each card. I am forever grateful for this book.
Allan H. Goodman
Detailed and informative.
CA
Jun 02, 2016 CA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best Tarot Book for beginners. Even more advanced users would appreciate the reference. Well written and easy to follow. Great book
Lucinda Rose
Nov 05, 2012 Lucinda Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books on the subject. I come back to it again and again.

Kellee
Kellee rated it liked it
May 27, 2013
Vivianne Kacal
Vivianne Kacal rated it did not like it
Jan 01, 2013
  • The Tarot Handbook
  • The Tarot Bible: The Definitive Guide to the Cards and Spreads
  • Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey
  • Complete Book of Tarot Spreads
  • Power Tarot: More Than 100 Spreads That Give Specific Answers to Your Most Important Question
  • The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination
  • Tarot 101: Mastering the Art of Reading the Cards
  • A Magical Course in Tarot: Reading the Cards in a Whole New Way
  • The Druid Craft Tarot
  • The Mythic Tarot
  • Tarot Spells
  • Witchcraft for Tomorrow
  • The Real Witches' Handbook: A Complete Introduction to the Craft
  • Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot: An Authoritative Examination of the World's Most Fascinating and Magical Tarot Cards
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic