Start by marking “Betrayed!” as Want to Read:
Betrayed!

Betrayed!

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  225 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
"Betrayed!" is the page-turning account of a loving Jewish family caught on divergent prongs of a historic conflict. When Stan Telchin's daughter accepts Jesus as her Messiah, she makes a touching plea for him to search out the truth for himself. Intending to prove her wrong, Telchin sets out on a vigorous and critical examination of the claims of Jesus Christ. He is aston ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Chosen Books (first published November 30th 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Betrayed!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayed!

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomGod's Smuggler by Brother AndrewBruchko by Bruce OlsonSon of Hamas by Mosab Hassan YousefLiving on the Devil's Doorstep by Floyd McClung
Salvation Biographies
24th out of 112 books — 20 voters
Gently Awakened by Sara  JosephHeaven is for Real by Todd BurpoMore Than a Carpenter by Josh McDowellAnchored in Light by Carl Prude  Jr.The Holy Spirit by Susan Rohrer
Christian Nonfiction, worth reading
57th out of 62 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike (the Paladin)
Let me say first that there are those who will not enjoy this book and I understand that. The description of the content will explain this. But I truly like this book.

The book Betrayed tells from Stan Telchin's point of view the story of a father and a family caught in a dilemma that has been faced by families, couples and individuals for 2000 years. Stan Telchin is Jewish. He doesn't think a lot about that, he's not a fanatic. He's not overly religious. Then his daughter whom he loves calls hom
Angie Jones
May 28, 2014 Angie Jones rated it it was amazing
This was really an amazing story of one family's journey from secular Judaism to deeply held Christian faith. It is told from the father's perspective as his life changes as he begins to read scripture for the first time to try to convince his daughter who has recently accepted Christ that Christianity is false and not appropriate for a good Jewish girl. As he discovers the beauty of God's plan of redemption of all the nations through the Jewish messiah, I was reminded yet again of how the Holy ...more
Bob Mendelsohn
Aug 08, 2011 Bob Mendelsohn rated it it was amazing
Anyone who knows Stan personally would be compelled by his loving nature and personal charm to read this. Everyone else should!
Helga Diggelmann
Feb 12, 2016 Helga Diggelmann rated it it was amazing
This book reminds me somewhat of Josh McDowell's "Case for Christ." In this case, it is the story of a Jewish man whose daughter becomes a Christian. In order to prove her wrong in her newfound beliefs, the father embarks on a study of the New Testament. In the very first words of the book of Matthew he discovers that Jesus was of Jewish ancestry. This motivates him to continue reading. The story examines how many Jewish folks never question their beliefs and how the simple act of reading the bi ...more
Birgit
Jun 18, 2016 Birgit rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This is just a reposting of my review from last year. We are reading it for our bookclub this month and it was equally as fascinating the second time round. I was going to write a completely new review but I don't think I need to. Look forward to the bookclub discussion.

Stan and Ethel Telchin and their daughter Judy are Jewish. Judy come home for the weekend from university and announces she has become a Christian. Understandably Stan and Ethel feel betrayed amongst other things. Stan sets out t
Dick
Jan 25, 2013 Dick rated it really liked it
I read this book because I know a man who is Jewish who has been in our Christian Bible study group for a number of years now. He has slowly - ever so slowly - incresed his participation in the group, but to date has not accepted Christ.

I met a man on The Walk to Emmaus last year who was born and raised in a Jewish family - but is now a Christian. We talked for a bit and he than recommended that I read this book - for the story and some insights into the Jewish community.

The story is Stan Telch
CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian
"Judy wants me to read The Bible. Okay. That's what I'll do, and when I read it I'll be able to prove to her that she is absolutely wrong."

Betrayed! by Stan Telchin. A very simple book to read, and very touching. Betrayed is an autobiographical story of a Jewish father's initial reaction to and eventual acceptance of his daughter's life changing decision to become a believer in Jesus Christ. First the author and his wife as traditional Jews, are shocked and angry about their daughter's decision
Nathanael
Apr 16, 2013 Nathanael rated it really liked it
'Betrayed' was an excellent book about Stan Telchin's journey from unbelief in Jesus Christ as the Jewish Messiah to full-hearted, true faith in Jesus Christ as the Jewish Messiah. He writes with passion and accurately captures what must have been exactly the feelings of 'betrayal' he first felt when his daughter Judy first told him she believed in Jesus as the Messiah. Along with his pain-staking journey studying both the Old and New Testament in an effort to prove that Jesus was not the Messia ...more
George
Sep 30, 2015 George rated it it was amazing
one of the most important pieces of non-fiction i have read in the religious context. the part that caught my eye was the ebionites of the 1st century, and why the jews became alienated from christianity. The ebionites were not followers of paul, but of James (the just), and in my worms eye view predated the Messianics' which Stan Telchin was one.

This might well indicate why paul paid more attention to converting ALL people and minimizing the fact that jesus was Rabbi/ and teacher/
Kyle K
Aug 07, 2015 Kyle K rated it it was amazing
Shelves: judaism
A daughter tells her parents that she is now a Christian. The problem, her parents are both Jewish and this is betrayal. The book recounts the father's journey as he tries to bring his daughter back into the fold.
AlegnaB
Apr 20, 2015 AlegnaB rated it really liked it
This was very interesting and quick to read. I finished it in a couple of hours. All Jews should read this. The unbelievers in Jesus the Messiah would realize how little they know about Jesus and the Bible (both the Tanakh and the New Testament).
Betty
Jul 08, 2012 Betty rated it it was amazing
This is a very moving account of one man's journey from his faith as a Jew to the Christian priesthood. More precisely, it is his struggle to come to grips with a Jewish daughter who has been "born again." We suffer with him through the agonies of betrayal, anger, disbelief and finally, a total abandonment of his life in order to "prove" her either right or wrong.

To his disbelief, as he struggles to disprove her Christian faith, he finds that, not only is it true, but it fulfills his Jewish fait
Cindy Barnes
Apr 26, 2015 Cindy Barnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very inspiring!

I enjoyed reading this book! So love how God always has a plan! God's hand was involved all along! Love this!
Vivian
May 25, 2011 Vivian rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jews
Recommended to Vivian by: a Jews for Jesus worker
Jocelyn
Feb 22, 2011 Jocelyn rated it liked it
That was good!!! But took me quite a while to finish for such a short book. Anyways, I found it really exciting in the beginning but once it got in to the really serious heavy bible stuff, it was a little bit hard for me to understand and I wasn't really able to relate to the book that much because I am not Jewish, and cannot understand some of the connections and how everything really fit together, but oh well, it was still a very good read.
Mary-Jane
Aug 27, 2011 Mary-Jane rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
A very quick read. The author describes his journey as a Jewish father to the news that his daughter has become a Christian while in college. Through his own study, he becomes a Christian, as does his whole immediate family. I didn't find that the book had a lot of detail about his Jewish beliefs and the depths of his studies, perhaps because he was more of a cultural Jew rather than an orthodox one.
Camiwar
Dec 31, 2015 Camiwar rated it it was amazing
This book was a true page-turner for me! Interestingly, I thought I might learn about Jewish beliefs and customs, but the author as an adult was not a practicing Jew, so it was surprising that he was so affronted by his daughter's conversion. His quest to prove her wrong turned out to be his journey to his own conversion to believe in Jesus as the Messiah! A wonderful and inspirational book!
Sally
Aug 22, 2011 Sally rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
A heartening true story of a Jewish man who decides to read the Bible in response to his daughter's conversion to Christianity. Despite his motivation to prove her wrong, he finds truth and conviction, and ultimately he is drawn to Jesus Christ. His description of his studies provides a compelling foundation for the truth of Jesus as Messiah, prophesied throughout the Scriptures.
Rayna
Oct 29, 2011 Rayna rated it liked it
I read this in a couple of days with the intentions of familiarizing myself with what it means for a Jew to become a believer in Jesus Christ, the Messiah. It was very easy to read and is a good starting point in my quest. It was, I'm guessing, a bit oversimplified in describing a devout Jew's transition to belief, however, and not too terribly profound (which I really like!).
Melissa
Jan 16, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This is a book that makes you think a lot!
Jcpsalm5
Sep 05, 2011 Jcpsalm5 rated it really liked it
Read it in two sittings. Absolutely amazing true story of a Jewish man's quest for the truth about Jesus (Yeshua). My favorite line is: "For in my mind and heart I had come to one inescapable conclusion. Finding the answers to these questions was the most important work of my life." (pg 51)
Rhoda
Feb 17, 2016 Rhoda rated it it was amazing
I found out about this book watching a youtube video and I am so glad that I gave it a chance...it is so encouraging to hear how many Messianic Jews there are now, and in this book Stan Telchin gives his incredible testimony. I have to give this a huge thumbs up!
Ellie
Jun 20, 2011 Ellie added it
Recommends it for: Inquirers
How do I Explain the last 2000 years? Could a "loving" God exist if He let such things as the Holocaust happen to "His" people? Is there a God? What about the Messiah? Was Jesus of Nazareth who he clammed to be? ...
Penny Stilwell
Sep 04, 2009 Penny Stilwell rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
This book gave me an insight into the beliefs of Jewish families. The author of this book did research about the Messiah, and found his faith was based on traditions, and not fact. Very interesting topic.
emily
Jan 20, 2015 emily rated it really liked it
My friend, who grew up Jewish and became a Christian when she was in her 50s, recommended this book to me.
The thoughts and questions a Jewish father has when his daughter becomes a Christian.
Rivkah.
Jul 29, 2011 Rivkah. rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books ever! I sort of understand what some of my family went through years ago when they made the big decision, and it helps me understand what other Jews have at steak.
Margaret
Oct 27, 2009 Margaret rated it really liked it
This book helped me understand the historic Jew who is not religious and was an interesting account of how God's word speaks to individuals.
Claudine Tan
Mar 30, 2013 Claudine Tan rated it really liked it
An easy read with nuggets of wisdom, history and Jewish culture thrown in making it intriguing and widens one's perception and understanding.
Shari
Jan 28, 2013 Shari rated it liked it
Very heartfelt account of a Jewish family's struggle with a daughter who converts to Christianity.
T Taylor
Aug 10, 2012 T Taylor rated it really liked it
A Jewish man comes to faith in Christ after trying to prove his daughter Jesus is not the Messiah.
  • When Skeptics Ask
  • Mama Maggie: The Untold Story of One Woman's Mission to Love the Forgotten Children of Egypt's Garbage Slums
  • David Livingstone
  • Why Not Women?: A Fresh Look at Scripture on Women in Missions, Ministry, and Leadership
  • Love Is A Decision
  • Back to Jerusalem: Three Chinese House Church Leaders Share Their Vision to Complete the Great Commission
  • Jesus Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents the Historical Jesus
  • Christ in the Passover
  • Secrets of the Koran
  • Chicken Soup for the Gardener's Soul: 101 Stories to Sow Seeds of Love, Hope and Laughter (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • The Mediation of Christ
  • The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance
  • The Restless Heart: Finding Our Spiritual Home in Times of Loneliness
  • Epicenter: Why the Current Rumblings in the Middle East Will Change Your Future
  • Light Force: A Stirring Account of the Church Caught in the Middle East Crossfire
  • Growing Deep in the Christian Life
  • First Person Rural
  • Authentic Relationships: Discover the Lost Art of "One Anothering"