Start by marking “Betrayed!” as Want to Read:
Betrayed!

Betrayed!

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  28 reviews
"Betrayed!" is the page-turning account of a loving Jewish family caught on divergent prongs of a historic conflict. When Stan Telchin's daughter accepts Jesus as her Messiah, she makes a touching plea for him to search out the truth for himself. Intending to prove her wrong, Telchin sets out on a vigorous and critical examination of the claims of Jesus Christ. He is aston ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Chosen Books (first published November 30th 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Betrayed!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayed!

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomGod's Smuggler by Brother AndrewGod's Favor - Breath Of Heaven by Michele WoolleyI Dared to Call Him Father by Bilquis SheikhTomorrow You Die by Reona Peterson Joly
Salvation Biographies
57th out of 62 books — 15 voters
Gently Awakened by Sara  JosephMore Than a Carpenter by Josh McDowellAnchored in Light by Carl Prude  Jr.The Holy Spirit by Susan RohrerGod by Robert Woeger
Christian Nonfiction, worth reading
41st out of 46 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike (the Paladin)
Let me say first that there are those who will not enjoy this book and I understand that. The description of the content will explain this. But I truly like this book.

The book Betrayed tells from Stan Telchin's point of view the story of a father and a family caught in a dilemma that has been faced by families, couples and individuals for 2000 years. Stan Telchin is Jewish. He doesn't think a lot about that, he's not a fanatic. He's not overly religious. Then his daughter whom he loves calls hom
Angie Jones
This was really an amazing story of one family's journey from secular Judaism to deeply held Christian faith. It is told from the father's perspective as his life changes as he begins to read scripture for the first time to try to convince his daughter who has recently accepted Christ that Christianity is false and not appropriate for a good Jewish girl. As he discovers the beauty of God's plan of redemption of all the nations through the Jewish messiah, I was reminded yet again of how the Holy ...more
Bob Mendelsohn
Anyone who knows Stan personally would be compelled by his loving nature and personal charm to read this. Everyone else should!
Dick
I read this book because I know a man who is Jewish who has been in our Christian Bible study group for a number of years now. He has slowly - ever so slowly - incresed his participation in the group, but to date has not accepted Christ.

I met a man on The Walk to Emmaus last year who was born and raised in a Jewish family - but is now a Christian. We talked for a bit and he than recommended that I read this book - for the story and some insights into the Jewish community.

The story is Stan Telch
CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian
"Judy wants me to read The Bible. Okay. That's what I'll do, and when I read it I'll be able to prove to her that she is absolutely wrong."

Betrayed! by Stan Telchin. A very simple book to read, and very touching. Betrayed is an autobiographical story of a Jewish father's initial reaction to and eventual acceptance of his daughter's life changing decision to become a believer in Jesus Christ. First the author and his wife as traditional Jews, are shocked and angry about their daughter's decision
Nathanael Gentilhomme
'Betrayed' was an excellent book about Stan Telchin's journey from unbelief in Jesus Christ as the Jewish Messiah to full-hearted, true faith in Jesus Christ as the Jewish Messiah. He writes with passion and accurately captures what must have been exactly the feelings of 'betrayal' he first felt when his daughter Judy first told him she believed in Jesus as the Messiah. Along with his pain-staking journey studying both the Old and New Testament in an effort to prove that Jesus was not the Messia ...more
Betty
This is a very moving account of one man's journey from his faith as a Jew to the Christian priesthood. More precisely, it is his struggle to come to grips with a Jewish daughter who has been "born again." We suffer with him through the agonies of betrayal, anger, disbelief and finally, a total abandonment of his life in order to "prove" her either right or wrong.

To his disbelief, as he struggles to disprove her Christian faith, he finds that, not only is it true, but it fulfills his Jewish fait
Vivian
May 25, 2011 Vivian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jews
Recommended to Vivian by: a Jews for Jesus worker
Jocelyn
That was good!!! But took me quite a while to finish for such a short book. Anyways, I found it really exciting in the beginning but once it got in to the really serious heavy bible stuff, it was a little bit hard for me to understand and I wasn't really able to relate to the book that much because I am not Jewish, and cannot understand some of the connections and how everything really fit together, but oh well, it was still a very good read.
Mary-Jane
A very quick read. The author describes his journey as a Jewish father to the news that his daughter has become a Christian while in college. Through his own study, he becomes a Christian, as does his whole immediate family. I didn't find that the book had a lot of detail about his Jewish beliefs and the depths of his studies, perhaps because he was more of a cultural Jew rather than an orthodox one.
Camiwar
This book was a true page-turner for me! Interestingly, I thought I might learn about Jewish beliefs and customs, but the author as an adult was not a practicing Jew, so it was surprising that he was so affronted by his daughter's conversion. His quest to prove her wrong turned out to be his journey to his own conversion to believe in Jesus as the Messiah! A wonderful and inspirational book!
Sally
A heartening true story of a Jewish man who decides to read the Bible in response to his daughter's conversion to Christianity. Despite his motivation to prove her wrong, he finds truth and conviction, and ultimately he is drawn to Jesus Christ. His description of his studies provides a compelling foundation for the truth of Jesus as Messiah, prophesied throughout the Scriptures.
Rayna
I read this in a couple of days with the intentions of familiarizing myself with what it means for a Jew to become a believer in Jesus Christ, the Messiah. It was very easy to read and is a good starting point in my quest. It was, I'm guessing, a bit oversimplified in describing a devout Jew's transition to belief, however, and not too terribly profound (which I really like!).
Melissa
This is a book that makes you think a lot!
Jcpsalm5
Read it in two sittings. Absolutely amazing true story of a Jewish man's quest for the truth about Jesus (Yeshua). My favorite line is: "For in my mind and heart I had come to one inescapable conclusion. Finding the answers to these questions was the most important work of my life." (pg 51)
Ellie
Jun 20, 2011 Ellie added it
Recommends it for: Inquirers
How do I Explain the last 2000 years? Could a "loving" God exist if He let such things as the Holocaust happen to "His" people? Is there a God? What about the Messiah? Was Jesus of Nazareth who he clammed to be? ...
Penny Stilwell
This book gave me an insight into the beliefs of Jewish families. The author of this book did research about the Messiah, and found his faith was based on traditions, and not fact. Very interesting topic.
emily
My friend, who grew up Jewish and became a Christian when she was in her 50s, recommended this book to me.
The thoughts and questions a Jewish father has when his daughter becomes a Christian.
Rivkah.
This is one of my favorite books ever! I sort of understand what some of my family went through years ago when they made the big decision, and it helps me understand what other Jews have at steak.
Margaret
This book helped me understand the historic Jew who is not religious and was an interesting account of how God's word speaks to individuals.
Claudine Tan
An easy read with nuggets of wisdom, history and Jewish culture thrown in making it intriguing and widens one's perception and understanding.
Shari
Very heartfelt account of a Jewish family's struggle with a daughter who converts to Christianity.
T Taylor
A Jewish man comes to faith in Christ after trying to prove his daughter Jesus is not the Messiah.
Kurtamyd
This is the conversion story of a Jewish family and their embrace of Christianity.
Brian Williams
If I could give this book 10 stars I would. A must-read!
Jeff Jenkins
Very good book. Highly recommended.
Tamar
It answered a lot of questions for me.
Lisa
Excellent!
Kristin Cardoza
Kristin Cardoza marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Mkb
Mkb added it
Dec 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Why Not Women?: A Fresh Look at Scripture on Women in Missions, Ministry, and Leadership
  • Love Is a Decision
  • When Skeptics Ask: A Handbook on Christian Evidences
  • So What's the Difference?: A Look at 20 Worldviews, Faiths and Religions and How They Compare to Christianity
  • Epicenter: Why the Current Rumblings in the Middle East Will Change Your Future
  • Permission to Speak Freely: Essays and Art on Fear, Confession, and Grace
  • The Historical Jesus: Ancient Evidence for the Life of Christ
  • The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance
  • One Way Love:  Inexhaustible Grace for an Exhausted World
  • Inside the Mind of Unchurched Harry and Mary: How to Reach Friends and Family Who Avoid God and the Church
  • The Complete Guide to the Bible
  • Passion For Jesus: Growing in Extravagant Love for God
  • Light Force: A Stirring Account of the Church Caught in the Middle East Crossfire
  • Jesus Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents the Historical Jesus
  • Torches of Joy: International Adventures
  • Resolving Everyday Conflict
  • First Person Rural
  • The Next Level: A Parable of Finding Your Place in Life
Messianic Judaism Is Not Christianity: A Loving Call to Unity Abandoned: What Is God's Will for the Jewish People and the Church?