Start by marking “Loud Emily” as Want to Read:
Loud Emily

Loud Emily

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
""Please be soft," says Father."Please do whisper," says Mother."

Emily doesn't "mean" to be loud. But whenever she says anything in her Emily voice, windows crack, plates shatter, and the neighbors can't believe their ears. Emily tries and tries but she just can't be quiet. It seems like there's nowhere she fits in...until the day she sees a ship with a sign that says:

LOUD
Published October 1st 1998 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Loud Emily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loud Emily

Kathryn
Jan 18, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Emily was loud from the moment she was born to startled parents in a Massachusetts stately home in the 1850s. Despite her parents' pleas to please whisper and use a quiet voice, Emily couldn't help using her "Emily voice" and kept being LOUD. This was troublesome during tutoring lessons and the like, but came in quite useful when she found her way down to the noisy kitchens. "Ah, a girl who speaks up!" the cook said with enthusiasm. Emily's loud voice found welcome. Yet, her tutor suggested send ...more
Manybooks
Feb 21, 2016 Manybooks rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children and adults who feel left out and isolated, children who like sea stories
There is much to really, really love about this book. Both the story and the illustrations are wonderful, and the messages of the story itself are both encouraging and important. Emily's loud voice might make her unsuited for her genteel, upper-class parents, her tutor, upper-class New England society in general. However, she feels right at home in the family kitchen, with the family cook and the so-called help. She and her naturally loud voice feel as awkward in her family's expensive, genteel, ...more
Ronyell
Mar 08, 2012 Ronyell rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ronyell by: Manybooks
“Loud Emily” is a children’s book that was selected for the Goodreads Picture Book Club group read and it is written by Alexis O’Neill along with illustrations by Nancy Carpenter. “Loud Emily” is about a young girl named Emily who was born with an extremely loud voice, but learns that she could use it to her advantage. “Loud Emily” is definitely a cute book that would really help children enjoy being themselves.

The moment that Emily was born, she had an extremely loud voice and even though her p
David
Jan 15, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Loud Emily by Alexis O'Neill, illustrated by Nancy Carpenter is the story of Emily who is so loud that she shatters plates and frightens birds. Just before being sent away to boarding school, Emily answers a sign on a sailing ship and sets sail on an adventure on the high seas.

About to be sent to a boarding school, Emily answers a sign "LOUD HELP NEEDED. NOW." on a ship and is soon sailing off. She booms out orders, sang halyard chaneys, told stories, and crooned fo'c'sle ballads. After singing
Dolly
Jan 21, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun, but quite strange story about a young girl whose talents are not appreciated at home, but finds that she is very much wanted for service on a whaling ship. The story is a tall tale, but almost believable. And the historical background of the story is fascinating. The illustrations are often comical and complement the story nicely. Our girls love the image of little Emily holding her pet cat in her lap, upside down. I love the historically accurate dialogue, though the translation ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
I absolutely loved the “Sailors’ Terms and Phrases” at the beginning of the book. My son loves pirates, so now we will have some new pirate lingo to use when we play pirates :).

Unfortunately, my enthusiasm for the book didn’t hold past that page. I’m not sure why but the story of Emily’s loud voice wasn’t for me. The illustrations on the other hand, were lovely. The author’s note at the end was interesting; perhaps a non-fiction book about the time period and whaling ships would have been much
Sarah Harmon
Apr 21, 2016 Sarah Harmon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book Loud Emily is an amazing little tale of a girl who has an amazingly loud voice. Her family couldn't get her to become quit, so they sent her to a boarding school. Emily ends up not going to school but instead boards a ship. The adventures that Emily runs into will keep you on the edge of your seat and in the end, you will see that Emily finds a good way to use her voice that ends up saving the day.
I loved this little story!! The illustrations were unique and beautiful!! I loved how Emil
Ellenjsmellen
Jun 09, 2008 Ellenjsmellen rated it it was amazing
One of my new favorite children's books. I just read it to my kids last night. So cute!
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
Emily had a booming voice and never seemed to be the quiet young lady expected of girls in the 19th century. As her parents fretted over what to do, Emily discovered her calling on board a ship calling out commands to the sailors in her loud voice. When she arrived home after her sea voyage, her family moved to a lighthouse where Emily could caution ships and no one ever complained of her booming voice above the pounding sea.
Salsabrarian
Big-voiced little Emily hires on to a ship in 1850s New England to help the captain call out commands to the crew, and subsequently saves his ship and others from grounding on rocks in the fog. The illustrations of Emily with her mouth perpetually in full shout are funny.
Charles Wittenberg
Jul 04, 2012 Charles Wittenberg rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children 6+ to Adults
Recommended to Charles by: Alexis O'Neil
I really liked this book for a few reasons. First off I got to meet the author in my Master Class and Alexis had a wonderfully charming personality so maybe I was a little biased. However reading this book without bias it sent a strong message to children, that they need to be who and what they want to be and be proud of it. Also everything works out for Emily in the end so the message is clear that if you love who you are it will work out in the end. This book also introduces a lot of terms and ...more
Melanie
Jul 21, 2015 Melanie rated it it was ok
The book did have a positive message but the book is a bit dated and the wording seem to be for a child in the 10-12 year old range.
Ashlie Covington
This story was okay. It started off really well and made me think it was going to be a funny story, but as the story progressed it kind of got boring. And I didn't understand how this book was a historical fiction, because the only thing that was historic about it was the setting and time period but the story had no purpose or meaning. I was kind of dissappointed. But maybe children will like it, whose to say?
June
Jan 13, 2012 June rated it liked it
Recommends it for: loud children or parents of
Recommended to June by: Children's Books, Picture Book Club discussion 1/12
Emily is born loud. She is threatened with "Miss Meekmeister's School for Soft-Spoken Girls." Instead she sails off on a ship, where she "sang halyard chanteys", "called bosun's commands", "told stories" & "crooned fo'c'sle ballads". She saves the day after a fierce storm destroys the lighthouse and is welcomed back home.

I can see the appeal, but I was a quiet child.
Nojood Alsudairi
Dec 25, 2008 Nojood Alsudairi rated it really liked it
Emily's voice is so loud that even her parents and her teacher decide to send her to aboarding school. As usual, Carpenter's illustrations are unique. Her illustrations on canvas and the imbroidered letters are a brilliant addetion to art.
Sam
Nov 19, 2014 Sam rated it really liked it
Cute story of a little girl who uses her own uniqueness to save the day!
Sally
Jun 26, 2012 Sally rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
THis was one of those picture books whose child-fantasy premise crossed over into slightly creepy to me. Little loved it.
Emily
I love it, probably because I'm loud too!
Wendy
Dec 10, 2008 Wendy rated it it was amazing
you must not miss this book!
Kate
Jul 13, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing
SO much fun.
Ashten
Ashten rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Elizabeth Hess
Elizabeth Hess rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Laura added it
Jan 26, 2016
Brittney Borgford
Brittney Borgford rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Smita
Smita added it
Jan 17, 2016
Karen Lee
Karen Lee rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Templehurst
Templehurst rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Jane Flitton-Daines
Jane Flitton-Daines rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Alexis O'Neill grew up in Boston and Wakefield, Massachusetts. She earned a Ph.D. in Teacher Education from Syracuse University. She teaches writing for the UCLA Extension Writers' Program and was a Regional Advisor for the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators (SCBWI) in the Central-Coastal region of California.
She has also been educator and consultant for a number of musea: Erie
More about Alexis O'Neill...