Start by marking “Hardboiled Web Design” as Want to Read:
Hardboiled Web Design

Hardboiled Web Design

If you’ve been working on the web for a while, your bookshelves may already be buckling under the weight of books about HTML and CSS. Do you really need another one?

Hardboiled Web Design is different. It’s for people who want to understand why, when and how to use the latest HTML5 and CSS3 technologies in their everyday work. Not tomorrow or next week, but today. It won’t
Published October 2010

To ask other readers questions about Hardboiled Web Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hardboiled Web Design

J. Pedro Ribeiro
Aug 31, 2011 J. Pedro Ribeiro rated it really liked it
Shelves: web-design
Andy Clarke’s long-waited book, Hardboiled Web Design, brings new ideas on website development. It’s packed with HTML5 and CSS3 but with a different take. A hardass approach using the latest, emerging technologies.

I’ve got to admit that I’m a big fan of Andy‘s work. Transcending CSS had a huge impact on my work and the way I used to see markup and styling. And I had the same feeling after reading this book.

Hardboiled

As the book says: “‘Hardboiled’ web design is about never compromising on creati
Dave Emmett
Dec 15, 2010 Dave Emmett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design, 2010, ebook
Excellent book on designing modern web experiences. Andy comes from a clear perspective that a site doesn't need to look the same in every browser, and indeed we shouldn't even try. His argument is that it's much better to design for the best browsers first, using HTML5 and CSS3 in as many ways as make sense for your project, and then provide alternate experiences for less capable browsers.

I really like the approach Andy proposes, especially the focus on creating HTML markup that is as semantic
Alessandro Pellizzari
Aug 15, 2012 Alessandro Pellizzari rated it really liked it
Shelves: web, manuali, e
Una raccolta eccezionale e ben organizzata di "istruzioni per l'uso" dei nuovi CSS3, che non si limita all'uso canonico degli attributi, ma spiega anche come usarli e combinarli per ottenere buoni risultati estetici.

Le stesse informazioni si trovano ormai ovunque in rete, ma qui sono ben organizzate e ben descritte.

Non raggiunge il punteggio pieno perché le prime 100 pagine sono una continua ripetizione del concetto "ignorate i vecchi browser e concentratevi sui nuovi", che dopo un po' diventa p
Nora Brown
Jan 25, 2011 Nora Brown rated it really liked it
Whether or not you agree with the "hardboiled" methodology, this book is a good resource on HTML5 markup, ARIA roles, and CSS3, and will make you re-examine conventional web design wisdom.

Personally, I have some reservations about the hardboiled approach, and I wrote up (at long last) a full review of Hardboiled Web Design here.
CriticalTodd
Nov 16, 2010 CriticalTodd rated it really liked it
Great book outlining best practices and methods for implementing HTML5 and CSS3 design elements into websites.
Nikky
Dec 06, 2016 Nikky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hardboiled Web Design is a book that tries to profess a philosophical opinion about how web design should be approached, but then tries to offer plenty of in-depth and deeper than necessary examples on how to implement these ideas. In theory it's a workable approach, but in reality it becomes muddled as while the opinions stay true across the years, the examples are highly time sensitive.

Reading the book requires an approach of absorbing the overall theme while skipping the implementation detail
Terry
Aug 21, 2011 Terry rated it liked it
Definitely not for beginners. This is an extremely high-context text. Likely meant for folks who have been doing web design... forever. Since the author is British, I had to make some allowance for the different in tone and register, but the incessant "hardboiled" references gets old after time. He often goes off on long, drawn-out, elaborations on particular design tasks relating to the web site built based upon the tech discussed in the book. It might have been better to start out with a "star ...more
Jeff Bridgforth
Sep 08, 2016 Jeff Bridgforth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just as good as the first edition. Great updates to where Web technology is today.
Elizabeth
Aug 13, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Look, I love James M. Cain and Dashiell Hammet as much as the next film noir fan, but it is really offputting to have such a misogynistic genre lauded in my professional face. I'm really tired of this.

Such a fan of the idea that it is okay for sites to look, possibly even behave, differently according to environment. Alas that it is still such a difficult concept to sell. I do disagree with the idea that you should plan for specific environments -- that's just not realistic in a world with poten
Kahlil Angeles
Feb 20, 2011 Kahlil Angeles rated it really liked it
The book has a really good introduction(makes me want to get my own fedora hat, and be a hardboiled detective)although your expectations about this book may be very high, it only introduces you to html5 and css3(IMHO) and how to implement it to your work 'today'(which it does very well) of course it comes with tutorials and html/css files that were used. all in all i think this is a great book for designers, specially if you're just starting out.
Brian Wilson
Mar 09, 2011 Brian Wilson rated it liked it
A book filled with solid advice for any modern web developer or designer. This is a must read for those who are or have been stuck behind a corporate marketing team. The author does a good job at introducing new concepts that help smash the ideas of cross browser "exactness", but lost points for not expanding on common arguments against this approach. A full chapter on this in a second edition would make this an even better read.
Janne
May 07, 2014 Janne rated it really liked it
Shelves: web-design
At first I thought that the book is about detectives, but turned to quite a nice introduction to HTML5/CSS3 and web design in general. I think most of its content may be trivial for seasoned web designers, but Hardboiled Web Design suits best (Even Though the book was published three and half years ago) for a person who knows just the basics of HTML/CSS.
William Rivera
Dec 09, 2010 William Rivera rated it it was amazing
I bought the printed and digital versions of this book on December. Don't remember exact day but around the second week. I still haven't received my printed version and I already read the digital version. Needed to say that.

Apart of the slow shipping, this is an awesome book. I will read this again to make sure I make the most out of this book. It's really worth to buy it and read it.
Tri Ahmad Irfan
Aug 25, 2014 Tri Ahmad Irfan rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the best book in the modern day web development. Hardboiled Web Design isn't about making your website pretty or pixel perfect, but about making your website stand the test of time while using tomorrow's standard. Being hardboiled also meant that we develop while regarding device and browser's capability.
James
Aug 30, 2011 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought this was a great review of recent developments in web design. Really like the idea promoted herein that websites a) don't need (and really won't!) render the same in every browser due to the myriad of sizes and platforms the web is accessed from today and b) a smart web designer should look to take full advantage of whatever platform a site/content is accessed from.
Guilherme
Mar 13, 2011 Guilherme rated it it was amazing
I think this is the best book about html/css I've ever read! Truly cutting edge, with in depth examples and explanations. This book is full of great content. I loved the hardboiled approach, I'm already applying it to my websites. Must read for anyone working with html and css today.
Jason Hando
Jan 07, 2011 Jason Hando rated it it was amazing
As usual Andy provides not just trend-setting theories but the practical examples that will make any designer perform just as they should in the age of empowered web technologies. Awesome stuff. Idol envy.
Nikos
May 07, 2013 Nikos rated it really liked it
Nice intro text on css3. Enjoyed the fact that it refers to some real examples. A bit outdated on the micro formats section.
Dan Denney
Jan 01, 2011 Dan Denney rated it really liked it
This was really good, though I would suggest it more for anyone that hasn't already dove into using CSS3. I was able to skip big portions of it but there were still some great takeaways.
Kaloyan K.
Nov 18, 2011 Kaloyan K. rated it really liked it
Very interesting approach for presenting all the latest features introduced by CSS3, HTML5 and what's currently supported in modern browsers.
John Felix
Oct 01, 2011 John Felix rated it it was amazing
It was definitely a very good read. I completely subscribed to this philosophy and it is a must read for anyone to live on the edge.
David Gillhespy
David Gillhespy rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2011
Azdrian
Azdrian rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2012
Karieffe Codner
Karieffe Codner rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Bipul
Bipul rated it really liked it
May 11, 2015
Brian Baiz
Brian Baiz rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
Andrew Ringler
Andrew Ringler rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2011
Tj Egan
Tj Egan rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Rezaul Karim
Rezaul Karim rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2012
Su Yin
Su Yin rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2011
  • Scalable and Modular Architecture for CSS
  • Content Strategy for Mobile
  • Smashing CSS: Professional Techniques for Modern Layout

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »