Start by marking “Bedford Square: A Charlotte and Thomas Pitt Novel” as Want to Read:
Bedford Square: A Charlotte and Thomas Pitt Novel

Bedford Square: A Charlotte and Thomas Pitt Novel (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt #19)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  2,301 ratings  ·  89 reviews
The freshly dead body sprawled on the Bedford Square doorstep of General Brandon Balantyne is an affront to every respectable sensibility. The general denies all knowledge of the shabbily dressed victim who has so rudely come to death outside his home, but Superintendent Thomas Pitt cannot believe him—for in the dead man’s pocket, Pitt finds a rare snuffbox that recently g ...more
Published September 22nd 2010 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Bedford Square, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedford Square

Elaine
The author should have spent far less time repeating ad nauseam the turmoil, misery, and puzzlement of the blackmail victims, their families and friends, and the detectives on the case and far more time moving the action along and providing some basis for the eventual climax and resolution. As it is, the exposition and rising action go on with very little revelation for more than 3/4 of the book. At about the half-way point, the reader can figure out the identity of the blackmailer, though it re ...more
B B
Although I greatly enjoyed meeting the Pitts, Aunt Vespasia, Gracie, Tellman, and reading about life in late Victorian England, the mystery was in my view a big red herring. Solved in the last 20 pages by an unsexpected source, it left me unsatisfied. A lot of book was boring and I put it down. I never put a mystery down before. I'll see if Ilike Half Moon Street more; it's next on my list.
Gwen Veazey
A flawed plot when I can figure out the murderer and the brilliant Inspector Pitt cannot. Did like that the working class servant had critical knowledge to help solve the case. Love the author's focus on class issues.
Criseteno
Bedford Square I like Anne Perry's Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series in general and this ("Bedford Square") was a good book, with quite a lot of good character development and atmosphere building. I particularly liked the idea of giving each character some sort of input information, which comes from other characters, such that for some parts of the book the "good guys" are not all on the same page and go exploring by themselves to find out more.

What I was really disappointed with, hence just the
Maurita Kling
This is about the 3rd Thomas & Charlotte book I have read, & so far my LEAST favorite. If I indeed see a trend towards most of the case- solving actually being credited to Charlotte & her maid, Gracie, rather than to Pitt himself, then it may be the last of this series I will read! In this case, it appears that Pitt misses/ overlooks a great many things that are important in deciphering the case & most of the action is left in the hands of Tellman & the women- hard to believe ...more
Gary Branson
Been a long time since I had read a Pitt mystery by Perry. I was caught up when this book came out in 1999, and took a long hiatus. Very enjoyable and found I had remembered the scenes and characters very well. While too much time was spent on the horrors of blackmail, the rest of the story was well told and interesting. Looking toward to getting back into Perry's Victorian world.
Helen
I like the way Perry presents the story, sort of easing through the events and adding information bit by bit. I like the characters and I like the details, but I think the law considered a child born within a marriage to be the child of the husband so I don't think the tittle tattle would have had a legal influence on the situation although there would certainly have been a considerable amount of discomfort. I'm a little surprised at tulips in a hot July and lilac likewise, unless flower seasons ...more
Fiona
I usually like Anne Perry's books but I am growing tired of her style. Too much time in the heads of characters who endlessly overthink things. Also she goes on and on about the importance of reputation and then has the policeman's wife spending every afternoon with a married man, apparently without anyone batting an eyelid.
Beverly
Apr 06, 2007 Beverly rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one really
I've read several Anne Perry books over the past 10 years and this one was weak. Her standard theme of class bias that not all people of society are over-priviledged worthless cretins is boring. A man dies and the big concern is the disgrace it will bring to the home owner who's doorstep he has been laid at contradicts her equality of class, as does the only time that they even think about digging into this poor sod's death is when someone of class dies. The plot itself is thin and never really ...more
S Dizzy
Anne Perry has done it again...she has astonished me with the complex woven plot. This, in my opinion, was one of her best Pitt mysteries. She truly makes you feel the emotions of the situations. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one so much so that I will definitely read it again.
Scott K
I liked it but felt it dragged. it did keep me guessing as to who did it pretty much until the end I had my suspicions focus on one of the characters about 3/4 f the way through but can't say I was certain until about the last 10 pages.

The dragging portions for was what I thought was over done descriptions of everything from the ladies dresses to the decors of the homes, perhaps the intent of the author was to satisfy a readership of more women then men and some women would enjoy the detailed de
Brenda Haven
Enjoyed the plot, always wish the ending was not so abrupt but I am beginning to get used to it. (After reading 19 books of this series!). I have finally decided who I think Thomas Pitt and Sergeant Tellman resemble...having watched two seasons of BBC America's series, Ripper Street, I like to think that their characters resemble two of the main characters in this series, Det. Insp. Edmund Reid and Det. Sgt. Bennett Drake. Although, I think Thomas Pitt is a little more shaggy than Edmund Reid! I ...more
Carolgib2014
I keep reading the series. I used to read one, then something else in between. Now I'm just going to finish the series.

I love these books.
Laurie D'ghent
Interesting book, but there was a moderate amount of swearing, and it's one that you need to write down the characters or the ending is kind of lackluster.
Ira Garcia
The Victorian setting was sufficiently established but the mystery was successfully kept until the second to the last chapter of the book, which I think was not a good thing. The scene in the last chapter was quite dramatic. I was expecting to have a decent explanation and confirmation about the deductions inferred by Pitt and the others. The story kept mentioning the same things over and over again, summarizing over and over again, which contributed to its length. So I supposed that there'd be ...more
Kathy Davie
Whoa...intense. I was all over the place trying to figure out whodunnit...and I was wrong. Oh well, no big surprise there! I love how well Perry conveys the time period through the clothes, the manners, the mores, the expectations, the concerns, the setting. From the delicious tea to the aromatic alley.

Pitt seems to have come up quite a bit in the world. His higher-ups at the station aren't giving him so hard a time anymore. Charlotte's effect on the General is poignant while there wasn't much a
Kathy England
Mystery set in Victorian England with blackmail as the main theme.
Janet
I thought this was a great book. I loved the characters, the mystery, the setting... all of it. I am coming into the lives of Thomas and Charlotte Pitt rather late, as I see that this is the 19th book featuring the duo. I have wanted to read Anne Perry for some time, as I have enjoyed reading her Letter From the Highlands articles. I bought four of her books from Half-Price Books when I spotted them on the shelf. Bedford Square was a fine start and I look forward to working my way through the re ...more
Winston
Seems to capture the reality of Victorian England.
Monica Willyard
This book brings back General Balantyne, one of my favorite supporting characters, and puts him into a more central role. The plot is good, and there are fair clues throughout the book. For me, the characters are of as much interest as the plot, and this book brings out the warmth and compassion in Thomas and Charlotte in a new way. I enjoyed getting lost in this story set in Victorian England, even as I see that some of the issues they faced are still with us today. That gives me comfort someho ...more
Elise Dubois
I actually figured out the connection between all of the victims early on. I picked the wrong villain though. Enjoyed reading it. Enjoyed having a bit more of Tellman, but I still felt there wasn't enough of Charlotte like there was in the early days.
Ang
Yeah for clean modern novels. Anne Perry wrote a great book. I love Agatha Christie and this is a satisfying read if you like mystery novels. I am excited to read more of her books. The part I liked the best is that the characters in the story have to deal with the plot line and their own experiences and perceptions of the world. The characters are not perfect or mysteriously brilliant like Sherlock Holmes. I will definitely recommend this author to others who love mystery novels.
Rebecca
Too much filler. The author went over the same ground over and over again without adding to the story at all. Perry's endings are always so abrupt as if she too is tired of the story and glad for it to be over. Her character development is excellent and her scenery and historic content unrivaled. I did guess the villain sooner than I would have liked, and the ending and reasons for the villain's motivations fell flat and went too quickly to conjure up the reader's emotion sufficiently.
Marianne Perry
Brilliant depiction of Victorian-era Britain and another thrilling tale of the exploits of Charlotte and Thomas Pitt. Will read Anne Perry again.
Sandi Willis
This one was a really good mystery that had a twist ending! I didn't see this end coming. It was not what I expected. Reading how the clues or lack of clues started I wasn't sure that we would find out who was the killer and the blackmailer.
Lisa
I enjoyed the story. I figured out the connection between the victims long before the characters did, and wanted to yell that it was right in front of their faces, but I suppose that may have solved things too early in the book. I do enjoy the lack of vulgarity in Anne Perry's work, but it really bothered me when the police didn't seem to care what happened to one character when it turned out that he wasn't really dead, but was missing.
Linda
Mar 08, 2011 Linda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery readers; Anglophiles; people who like all things Victorian
I've just discovered this author, and am basically inhaling her books. There are two series I've sampled so far; one features detective William Monk, that the other, of which this is one, features Charlotte and Thomas Pitt. Both series are set in Victorian England, and are mysteries. I find the characters in the William Monk series stronger than these, but this is still very enjoyable. And the good news is, there are many more.
Adrienne
May 29, 2009 Adrienne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers, historical fiction enthusiasts
Recommended to Adrienne by: Donald Maas, her agent
I have found my new favorite author. Although she's not new to anyone else. She's been writing this series of mystery novels since 1978! I love love loved all the characters and the way she presents the Victorian world. The plot was sufficiently twisted and yet still a satisfying ending. Loved every word of it. I am glad she has written about a billion books, I know what I'll be doing all summer :)
Donna
I am reading the Anne Perry catalog as close to order written as possible. Now I am getting to ones I have already read but it doesn't seem to matter. Each book still holds up, have a little more insight into how she weaves the clues in the story since I know the outcome, but it is still a pleasure to see how she does it. On the waiting list for Dorchester Terrace, the latest book.
  • Death at Glamis Castle (Kathryn Ardleigh, #9)
  • The Holy Thief (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #19)
  • Murder on Marble Row (Gaslight Mystery, #6)
  • The Servant's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #2)
  • The Leper's Bell (Sister Fidelma, #14)
  • The Ape Who Guards the Balance (Amelia Peabody, #10)

Anne Perry (born Juliet Hulme) is a British historical novelist.

Juliet took the name "Anne Perry", the latter being her stepfather's surname. Her first novel, The Cater Street Hangman, was published under this name in 1979. Her works generally fall into one of several cate
More about Anne Perry...
The Face of a Stranger (William Monk, #1) The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) Callander Square (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #2) A Dangerous Mourning (William Monk, #2) Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)