Start by marking “Something Invisible” as Want to Read:
Something Invisible

Something Invisible

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Eleven-year-old Jake likes thinking, encyclopedias, and football. And fish. Although he's not so sure about everything else--especially girls, or little sisters, or stepdads. But an unlikely friendship with eccentric Stella Daly helps him figure out some of it. That is until a tragedy changes everything, even the way he thinks about himself. Something Invisible is a warm a
Published March 7th 2006 by Roaring Brook Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Something Invisible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Invisible

elissa
Apr 14, 2008 elissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 5th-7th gr graders who like a quiet story
Recommended to elissa by: Monica
I would have given this 3 1/2 stars all the way up to the end. I'm really a sucker for good endings (and if they're emotional, even better). I LOVED the very short (one sentence) chapters at the beginning. Most of the book was a very quiet and soothing story about families, with foreshadowing of a tragedy. It was so soothing that it kept putting me to sleep at night (for the past 3 nights), not because I didn't like it, but because I felt so soothed! I love the reminder to think of who is most i ...more
Monica Edinger
Mar 15, 2008 Monica Edinger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: realisticfiction
Just mentioned this in a comment so figure I should add it to my shelves. I think this book is absolutely beautifully written. As I wrote in the comment, my taste doesn't tend to run to realistic novels, especially grief ones. But this book is absolutely outstanding and worthy of being given more attention. We had it on our 2007 Notable Children's Books in the Language Arts List.
Harold
Nov 06, 2013 Harold rated it really liked it
Irish author Siobhan Parkinson has written a insightful novel about children having to face some of life's tragedies. This short novel for young people is surprisingly moving.
Kimberley
Mar 24, 2012 Kimberley marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-i-own
I don't have this edition. I think I cried when I read this story but I can't remember why. I read it when I was really young but I remember that it gave me a nice feeling though.
Brynna
Mar 06, 2015 Brynna rated it it was amazing
Beautiful look at guilt, grief, and friendship through the eyes of a boy who wants to be a fish painter. An excellent reminder of our own unimportance.
Carrie
Dec 30, 2009 Carrie rated it it was amazing
I'm not exactly sure how I felt about this book. In some areas it felt like I was reading a childrens book and for all I know I was.
Pksoper
Apr 25, 2014 Pksoper rated it liked it
Shelves: tween, 2014
I don't get it. Maybe because I have an aversion to tween novels? (I do.) Maybe because I wanted something more to happen with the incident when they were fishing. I don't know. It was just kind of meh.
Lenny
Jul 24, 2013 Lenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
mooi!
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Anda
Anda added it
Jan 12, 2016
Mary Napoli
Mary Napoli rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Taiana Rodrigues
Taiana Rodrigues rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2015
EVA
EVA marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Abbygale Magleo
Abbygale Magleo rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Solita
Solita added it
Jul 25, 2015
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Jade McAnena
Jade McAnena rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2016
Rosie Hopkins
Rosie Hopkins rated it it was ok
Mar 29, 2015
Dragondrool
Dragondrool rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Siobhán Parkinson is an Irish writer for both children and adults. Siobhán grew up in Galway and Donegal. Her books have won numerous awards and have been translated into several languages. She is currently a co-editor of Bookbird, the magazine of international children's literature organsation IBBY. She resides in The Republic of Ireland with her husband Roger Bennett and son Matthew.
More about Siobhán Parkinson...