Start by marking “Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface” as Want to Read:
Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface

Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  780 ratings  ·  30 reviews
This textbook provides a basic introduction to the fundamentals of current computer designs. As the title suggests, the text skirts the border between hardware and software. After an overview of the subject and a discussion of performance, the book launches into technical matter such as instruction sets, how they are constrained by the underlying processor hardware, the co ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 621 pages
Published 2005 by Morgan Kaufmann (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Computer Organization & Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Computer Organization & Design

This textbook was required reading for my Computer Organization and Architecture university course. Sometimes it can be difficult to give a textbook a fair review because, in a typical course, students are rarely required to read the entire book and they may be given reading assignments that are not in sequential order. This means it’s not easy to judge the progression of the material as presented in the textbook from beginning to end.

Such was the case with this textbook. In my class, we skipped
Xiaofei Guo
I remember when I first learn computer architecture in China. The book we used is terribly complicated. I once thought computer architecture as a subject with random things to memorized.

Fortunately, I study this book years later in the US. It goes through the fundamental philosophy of computer architecture design and it gives lots of examples, pictures, and exercises to help you understand the concept.

The book not only talks about simple examples, it also break the real machine down to show how
Used this as my textbook for ECE425 - Computer Architecture and thought it explained a lot more than what the professor tried to teach. I would recommend reading this a few times before listening to the professor go over whichever topic you're covering and I'm sure it'll help you.

I recommend also watching these videos throughout the course

Passed Computer Architecture
Muhamamd Daneshgar
This book is one of my most hated books. Its prolix style make your mind exhausted with loads of jejune materials. I know it's a very famous academic textbooks and scholars applaud it. Perhaps it's catered for professors rather than for engineers and true learners.
In a nutshell, the efficiency of this book is very poor. You learn very little in expense of wasting a good deal of your precious time.
This is one of the few required text books for my courses which I actually enjoyed while reading, I learned a lot and it gave me a whole new perspective of what is a computer. I would suggest this to all undergraduate computer students.

Very good introduction and reminder for computer architecture, reviewing all topics such as instruction decoding, memory hierarchies, pipelines, I/O, computer clusters, vector computers, GPUS, energy consumption. In my opinion some previous knowledge must be got before reading this book, since it omits many implementation details. Appendix are added so that you can extend your knowledge in more advanced topics.

For those understanding Spanish, I strongly recommend this other book: Conceptos básic
Prashant Singh
-Solved numerical example
-Concepts are explained from their root
-A real easy language

-Pipeline chapter could be made more intutive.
Delhi Irc
Location: GG6 IRC
Accession No: DL027576
A solid introduction at the freshman level, but just not all that inspiring. The basic chapters, especially the one on assembly languages and the appendix on logic design, are very good; the later chapters unfortunately feel a bit rushed and really only cover the barest essentials. Additionally, some pretty important content, e.g. on GPUs and Verilog, is only available online.

The exercises are numerous and quite good.
Ibrahim Al-bluwi
This was the textbook of a university course that I took during my BSc. Although I am not a big fan of hardware and assembly languages I enjoyed studying from this book to a great extent.

The book is very well written and very well organized. I found the presented information clear and I liked the way the authors emphasize what is important, elaborate with examples, and keep extra details to the end of each chapter.
Ben Haley
This book drew abstract mathematical concepts down to their underpinning hardware implementations. In doing so, it clarified the practical concerns that drive the development of new software systems. Patterson, who is brilliant in his straightforward execution does a great job of revealing that the land of information does have a bottom where it grinds up against a land of silicon and copper. For me it's a relief.

I am currently teaching a BSc-level course using this book. It is very well structured for either "hardcore" hardware-related courses or more software-inclined (or at least not so low-level hardware) courses. I have mixed feelings towards the approach of anticipating some issues of multicore architectures (e.g. cache coherence) w.r.t. to the description of the corresponding architectures in Chapter 7.
Szymon Wylezol
A great and easy to follow book, and certainly the most comprehensive one on computer architecture. The only drawback is the material on the included cd - there is too much of it to print it, and reading it all on screen is not very comfortable. Perhaps it's time to split the book into two volumes. Otherwise a great buy. [my review from amazon]
كوثر الشريفي
I had no idea about the MIPS assembly language, nor did I know much about designing processors..etc. This book really helped me in understanding the various steps involved in designing processors and so many other concepts that any beginner needs. The examples and problems are really good, as well as the explanation.
Another of my college texts. Although I have not found a need to reference this book since graduation, it was useful in developing an understanding the components within a computing system and how they interact, possible problems, and how to address them at design time.
A good, solid introduction to Computer Architecture. I flicked through it this time, because I've read it before. My one niggle is that it has a tendency to use analogies which I don't think really help. Possibly this is because I'm boring an technical, though.
Max Perepelitsyn
A very good introduction to computer architecture. The GPU coverage is a plus. Make sure to check out all the online materials for this book.
Nick Black
Ehhh, don't bother with this one; read Appendix A of Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach, and then the rest of that book.
Decent book for the subject material. Be sure to check out the online supplementary material - it is a HUGE help on homework assignments.
Haytham Lashin
I'm currently reading chapter 7 , and it's really a very good introduction to the Computer Architecture course .
Probably the best CompOrg/CompArch textbook I've encountered thus far.
Read studying for Computer science architecture course.
it's good at all, but I suggest Manno book insted.
Owayss Kabtoul
A very good book on Computer Architecture
Best. Architecture. Book. Ever.
Sep 19, 2011 Collin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
  • Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Computer Organization And Design: Instructor's Manual: The Hardware/Software Interface Freshwater Fish of the Northeast Computing Unbound : Hands-On-Exercises for the Macintosh With Two Optional Exercises for the IBM PC/With Disk Data Analysis with Spreadsheets [With CDROM] Computing Unbound: Using Computers in the Arts and Sciences