Start by marking “Jane Eyre / Wuthering Heights (Classic Library)” as Want to Read:
Jane Eyre / Wuthering Heights (Classic Library)

Jane Eyre / Wuthering Heights (Classic Library)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  4,980 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Published 1999 by Redwood Editions, a division of Hinkler Book Distributors (first published 1847)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Eyre / Wuthering Heights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Eyre / Wuthering Heights

Jill McGivering
Jane Eyre is often forced on schoolchildren before they're ready to enjoy it. It's such a shame if that turns them off the Brontes - the novels are a joy, full of passion, elements of the Gothic and strong characterisation.
Lia
Dec 05, 2008 Lia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This will always be one of my favorite books. I read it every few years and never tire of it. It's a masterpiece of storytelling, characterization, and beautiful writing. The narrator, Jane, is such a believable character, and I always relate to her.

The highlights for me:

Bronte's portrayal of Jane as a child while she is downtrodden at Gateshead Hall. ("How much I wished to reply fully to this question! How difficult it was to frame any answer! Children can feel, but they cannot analyse their fe
Shonda
I found Wuthering Heights to be a dismal story. I felt sorry for all the characters in the story who had to meet Heathcliff, knowing that something tragic would happen to them when he got them under his thumb. At first I also felt sorry for Heathcliff, but later ended up despising him. I guess that is why the book it is such a classic. The storytelling is wonderful and I didn't want to stop reading until something good happened, which took a while. The ending was the one redeeming part of the st ...more
Callie
I am only halfway through Wuthering Heights, but I already have so much to say that I have to come and write down all my thoughts before I forget them.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

There are some things I like about this book, and there are some things that I really hate about this book. The following are simply a few of my thoughts:

I'll admit, when I started reading, I didn't have a clue what was going on, or who the narrator was. Last night, I ended up re-reading the first 50 pages of the b
Shadle
Jane Eyre is about a woman in the eighteenth century who falls in love with her employer and she has struggles when trying to show them to him. The main characters in this novel are Jane Eyre, Mr. Rochester and Helen Burns. When Jane realizes her feelings for Mr. Rochester she becomes confused in what she wants in life. "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will." (Bronte 53)

The theme in this book is mostly love. For example, Jane and Mr. Rochester a
Zelenkroki
Джейн Еър
Снимка на епохата. Дневник на еманципирана жена от това време. Картина на образователната система в Англия. За съжаление, най-вероятно е сходна в методиките на диктатура с много от сегашните системи в най-различни страни, а по отношение на материалните условия, приютът на Джейн Еър, гръмко кръстен институт, е много добра аналогия на днешните български интернатни и дори на общинските училища. Любов и дълг, религия и нравствени принципи, това са някакви далечни, идеални от днешно гледане
Realini
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Famous gothic story

I have been meeting with Jane Eyre a few times. Last time I remember it was so much fun. It is not the book, but the reader, since this afternoon I have enjoyed Jane Eyre.
I have listened to yet another adaptation for the Romanian National Radio, with Victor Rebengiuc, the greatest actor alive in the lead male role.
For much of the novel, Jane Eyre is poor and has to take orders in the position of a servant, but she is also a kind of Cinderella- nob
Elisha Wilhelm-German
When we first decided to read Jane Eyre, only a few members were excited about the read; with most feeling apprehensive about it. However, the majority of the group found the story easy to read once they got used to the old English and the vernacular; and at times the authors overly descriptive writing. We noticed quite a bit of people have a love/hate relationship with Jane Eyre; they are also confused how two sisters (Charlotte Bronte wrote Jane Eyre, Emily Bronte wrote Wuthering Heights) can ...more
Henry
I liked Jane Eyre well enough. Part way through I started thinking that it reminded me of a Dr. Who episode called The Black Orchid. It isn't really the same story but you have your large, English house and you have your mad relative locked in a small room on the top floor. The mad relative gets out from time to time and causes mischief (or worse). It's hard not to like Jane, which is probably as intended. You aren't so sure about Mr. Rochester. He seems likable enough but there are troubling th ...more
Shuting
Feminism and Fairy Tales in Wuthering Heights

FW: this was written over one year ago. I am always a big fan of Emily Bronte.

Since many scholarly evaluations tend to see Heathcliff as another ego of Catherine, the heroine in Emily Bronte’s novel Wuthering Heights, providing myriads of evidence of Catherine’s narcissism, for example, her overly quoted comment about the relationship between Heathcliff and Catherine, the identification of Heathcliff has been deemed as another Catherine or an ideal Ca
Actually, I only read Wuthering Heights this time, having just finished Romancing Miss Brontë, and wanting to find out more about the Bronte family.

It's pretty easy to see why Wuthering Heights was not as well received as Emily's sisters' books. It's as unrelenting and bleak as the howling wind across the moors. I give it four stars not because I "liked" it, exactly -- there's nobody in it to really like, except maybe Hareton Earnshaw. But there is artistic brilliance here, especially in the way
Maria Larasati
At first I thought the people in this book are too wicked to be real, but after reading a little longer, I realised that the characters are completely natural (though still a bit extreme). I like the book because it contains many lessons, and reading it feels like lighting a fire in a cold day; at first it was cold and dark, but at the end it feels warm and bright. Also because it can give an open mind about people, and makes you think twice about judging others by their characters.
Prita
Baca kedua novel ini pas SMA, setelah selesai baca Twilight hahaha. Menurut gue kisah love triangle antara Bella and the boys can't be compared sama Wuthering Heights, Heathcliff mirip Edward ? Nope. Gue rasa Edward cuma ngambil kulit luarnya Heathcliff aja, but not his darkest part of soul. Wuthering Heghts sebenernya bukan novel favorit gue dari Bronte Sisters, tapi memang ia punya its own uniqueness yg ga ada di novel2nya Charlotte atau Anne Bronte.

Jane Eyre, lain cerita lagi, yg membuat gue
Tina
I've read both of these stories by the Bronte sisters, but not in this specific edition. I read Wuthering Heights in H.S. It was one of the more interesting books we had to read.

Jane Eyre is my favorite book. I read it when I was probably 13 or 14 years old. I could identify with Jane on some level and it's probably the first book that brought me to tears. I enjoyed the love story between her and Mr. Rochester, though I think it sucks that he's blind in the end. I've reread this book quite a few
Marlena Nicole
My 2nd most favorite book ever. The end.
Vanessa Éffe
I'm proud owner of this 1943 book edition!
Holly
I prefer Jane Eyre over Wuthering Heights.
Jessie
One of my all time favourites.
Andrew Ha
It's been a long time since I've read Wuthering Heights.

Contrary to the popular opinion of my class and most everyone who reads Wuthering Heights, I actually liked and enjoyed reading it. For whatever reason, I actually understood the concept of an isolated space separate from the passage of outside time containing within itself complex and often irritating social interactions between significantly self-absorbed characters.

Its tragedy I empathized, its frustrations I pitied, its questions I qui
Sherika Alexis
I had to read both these books for my AP English class. I'd heard about Wuthering heights and had always wanted to read it, but when I began reading it, I was dying with dread. All the characters overreacted for simple situations and the book's tone was so dreadful. I'd give it .5 of a star.
Jane Eyre on the other hand, I actually enjoyed. Jane seemed like a real person. The books downfall is how informative it is. It was like you were reading a good story then was brought into a lecture. I'd giv
Teri
While I loved the narrative of the maid in Wuthering Heights, I didn't care for the story at all. The one value I see is that is shows the consequence of revenge. Though I have to say even that is done more poignantly in The Count of Monte Cristo.

On the other hand, I absolutely loved Jane Eyre. It seemed you never knew what turn the story line was going to take next. Jane's integrity to her moral values is inspiring. This is definitely a book to read again and again. A true classic.
Freder
This was a gift to me from my grandmother Bachmann, and one that I will treasure forever. Can't imagine reading these books in any other edition. The woodcuts by Eichenberg capture the mood of the stories brilliantly. I like HEIGHTS significantly better than EYRE, but have to wonder what the Bronte's father was like. All three sisters seem to have exactly the same taste in men -- the haunted, sullen, brooding, self-absorbed type; take away their names and you can't tell 'em apart!
Stacy
Loved them both.

I've read Jane Eyre a few times (the movies never seem to do the book justice) and I firmly believe every 16 year old girl should read this book - the life lessons are invaluable.

Wuthering Heights is an absolute favorite. I couldn't put it down (except when I was so enraged by the antics of Heathcliff I crumpled up the book and chucked it across the room)! A must read for every hot blooded bibliophile!
Alessandra
I thought I would like Heathcliff's character because of his longing to be with Catherine, but the more I read, the more I found him to be an obsessed, vengeful brute. I may have been sympathetic to his difficult childhood but his taste for revenge and his ill treatment towards others like Isabella makes him become just as horrible in my eyes as Hindley was to me in the beginning of the book. I have not finished the book yet.
Sylvia Bielefeldt
These books are wonderful to pick up on a dreary, rainy day and spend hours in a time and a place long gone, with fascinating, dramatic individuals whose love has many hurdles and tragedies and may or may not have a happy ending......just like life. Much can be analyzed about these books, both negative and positive; but the fact remains - they continue to be read over and over again.
Maureen
Apr 13, 2012 Maureen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have the patience to read old English. People who want to read a classic.
Recommended to Maureen by: My Mom
Wow what a dark dark mean streak.. I have no sympathy for Heathcliffe, thats's for sure. I always wondered about the father who named Heathcliffe and brought him home. He favored his adopted son over his own son. Why? I'm sure I could re read the book to pick up on why he favored this outcast savage child over his blood, first born son?

Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
Wuthering Heights was for me a bit on the scandalous side of relations. I found of the two books her to be the lesser enjoyed.

Jane Eyre is my favorite work by Brontë. It gives me the struggles of Jane's life from early times up to the point she can no longer deny her love for Mr. Rochester. I can read this one over and over.
Zsofi
I see why it is a good book, I know how to appreciate it, but it will not be my favourite. However I've been singing Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights all through December 2011 because of it, which is a welcome experience. ;)
As for Jane Eyre, well she has been an old favourite.
Tracie Elaine
I love Jane Eyre but never have I worked harder to finish a book than I did with Wuthering Heights. I hated this story. Nearly every character was unlikable and complete narcissists! Showing their love for someone by driving them insane? Never has a story insulted my intelligence more.
  • Charlotte & Emily Brontë: The Complete Novels
  • Four Complete Novels: Great Expectations/Hard Times/A Christmas Carol/A Tale of Two Cities
  • The Complete Novels
  • Wizard's Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1-2)
  • Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe /Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!
  • Il giovane Holden - Franny e Zooey - Nove racconti - Alzate l'architrave, carpentieri e Seymour, introduzione
  • Wicked / Son of a Witch (The Wicked Years, #1-2)
  • Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book?
  • The Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC)
  • The Spellman Series Box Set 1 - 4 (The Spellmans, #1-4)
  • Christmas Treasury
  • Women in Celtic Myth: Tales of Extraordinary Women from the Ancient Celtic Tradition
  • The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman
  • Keats's Poetry and Prose
  • Letters to a Young Conservative
  • The Complete Stories and Poems
  • Cross-Country Cat
  • Complete Stories, 1892-1898
Charlotte Brontë was a British novelist, the eldest out of the three famous Brontë sisters whose novels have become standards of English literature. See also Emily Brontë and Anne Brontë.

Charlotte Brontë was born in Thornton, Yorkshire, England, the third of six children, to Patrick Brontë (formerly "Patrick Brunty"), an Irish Anglican clergyman, and his wife, Maria Branwell. In April 1820 the fam
More about Charlotte Brontë...
Jane Eyre Villette Shirley The Professor Emma