Start by marking “The Minimalist Cooks Dinner: More Than 100 Recipes for Fast Weeknight Meals and Casual Entertaining” as Want to Read:

Back with another splendid collection, America’s most popular cooking authority and author of How to Cook Everything, presents more than 100 fast, sophisticated main courses for home cooks of every skill level.

The Minimalist Cooks Dinner showcases Mark Bittman’s signature ease and imagination, and focuses on center-of-the-plate main dishes. And, in this new volume, he al
Published July 21st 2010 by Clarkson Potter (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Minimalist Cooks Dinner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Minimalist Cooks Dinner

Jeffrey
Jan 26, 2009 Jeffrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: neophyte cooks who need simple recipes for after work dinner
Although several recipes claim that they will take no time, there is some serious prep time for those of us who cannot handle a knife like a person on Top Chef. For instance, Spicy Shrimp requires 4 cloves of garlic thinly sliced. Well it took me close to 20 minutes to cut two cloves of garlic, peel the skin and then dice and slice, but given that the closest I ever came to a clove was in a crossword, I though the prep time was worth it as the food came out pretty good.

The recipes seem fairly st
estar*
May 31, 2017 estar* rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Getting your feet wet with Bittman. Accessible if you don't wanna tackle his gigantic How to Cook Everything series.
Mary
Jan 19, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has set new expectations of cookbooks for me. Not just do you get awesome recipes, but you also get variations as well as key pointers on how to get them right! (You also get ideas for what to serve it with, wine to pair it with, and a little editorial comment often with some history on the dish.) I'd like to broaden the range of things I'm comfortable cooking, but sometimes you get these ingredients that you've never used before and you end up guessing what to do with them. Well, here you ...more
Catherine Woodman
This is one of the best cookbooks that I don't own--mostly because alot of this is fairly intuitive for me--he is the most like me of any professional cook that I have read--which is not to say that I am any where near his level, but I already cook and eat in the neighborhood that her lives in. This would be GREAT if you lived alone and were persistently eating alone (something that I realized today that I have never ever done)...
AnnieM
Jun 01, 2014 AnnieM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
clearly not doe the novice cook. It is a nice book to help the average cook to kick up the sophistication of their meals without losing one's sanity or time.

I will probably only write down a few recipients but for a home with few or no dietary restrictions, this is a good way to expand their cooking experience.
David
Feb 01, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, I know second cookbook...what exactly do I read. Mark Bittman has a number of really easy recipes that have all come out well. I'm a big fan of the mussels and monk fish (never knew until this book). I also like that he gives some ideas on variations of a meal. Nice when you may not have all the ingredients on hand.
Valary Smith
I think I must be picky about cookbooks. It was a good cookbook but I think I get frustrated when they take a rack of lamb or some kind of expensive fish and say "It is so simple". I found a few good recipes that I will try and I do like the approach that food does not have to be too complicated. I guess I still want it to fly onto my plate for less than $10 a person. :)
Cherie
B+ A lot of non veg recipes but some interesting stuff. Good for the quick cook who don't have a ton of time. I'm eager to try the recipes for miso soup and pasta w parsley sauce - both seem easy and yummy.
Aja Marsh
3.5 - love mark bittman and the simplicity of this book is clear, but there aren't a lot of veggie things in here to keep me interested, but he makes making sort of fancy stuff seem easy so gotta love that.
Joanna Jacob
I am a huge fan of the Bittman.. and I learned from this book that you can make pasta like you would make risotto.. very interesting. Much like in "How to Cook Everything", he gives variations for the recipes.
Anna
Jun 30, 2007 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
There are some great dinner ideas in this book, though definitely not the sort of slap-dash, throw-together-in-twenty-minutes dinners I usually make. A lot of these require a little more planning ahead and prepping, but would be well worthwhile.
Feb 03, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
You should have almost everything for every recipe in your pantry already...
I love his column in the "New York Times" so thought I'd try the book. It has no photos to speak of so I'm already a little turned off...
Morgan
Mar 21, 2010 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-books
No pictures. Still, good basic recipes.
Mary
Sep 22, 2010 Mary added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Dave fought it...then bought it.
We now own it, and it's a great cook book.
"Love monk fish."
Karen
Apr 03, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yum - roast salmon with Pinot Noir syrup - what more do I need to say!
Wendy Hollister
Very simplified recipes that were not so appealing.
Kerry Kenney
Nov 02, 2008 Kerry Kenney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
One of my favorite cookbooks. Essential for me, the new cook. This book was given to my sister as a wedding present, she gave it to me when I saw it on her shelf. I love it! I love his explanations.
Megan
Aug 23, 2014 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very similar to Nigel Slater's recipes; they're simplistic but sound absolutely delicious.
Jessica B
May 03, 2012 Jessica B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great resource
Diane
Jul 02, 2008 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the Bittman books are good.
Sherri
I picked it up thinking they'd be quick, but there are some weird recipes in the mix here.
Tiffany
Aug 13, 2011 Tiffany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not nearly as good as things one finds in everyday foodscmagazine and fine cooking magazine. Not impressed in the slightest.
Monica
Jul 14, 2007 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mark Bittman delivers. He's single-handedly revolutionized our kitchen. Well, not single-handedly. There have been others. But I wouldn't feel crazy buying every book he's ever written.
Lou
Mar 02, 2009 Lou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
nice addition for how to cook everything, more about organizing dinners.
Beka
Aug 09, 2010 Beka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I'm sure all his recipes taste great, but his cookbook is very dry. There are no pictures and very little writing.
Tim
Sep 23, 2012 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
very boring for a bittman. nothing terribly innovative here - most of these recipes were from his minimalist series on the nytimes.
Sewhappygirl
Sewhappygirl rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Alice Doherty
Alice Doherty rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Delia
Delia rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Paris Cookbook
  • Bobby Flay's Throwdown!: More Than 100 Recipes from Food Network's Ultimate Cooking Challenge
  • The 30-Minute Vegan's Taste of the East: 150 Asian-inspired recipes--from soba noodles to summer rolls
  • The Indian Vegan Kitchen: More Than 150 Quick and Healthy Homestyle Recipes
  • A Love Affair With Southern Cooking: Recipes And Recollections
  • At Home with Madhur Jaffrey: Simple, Delectable Dishes from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka
  • Think Like a Chef
  • Patti Labelle's Lite Cuisine
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Essentials of Cooking
  • Get Cooking: 150 Simple Recipes to Get You Started in the Kitchen
  • Michael Symon's Live to Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock Your Kitchen
  • Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics: The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook and The Lady & Sons, Too!
  • College Vegetarian Cooking
  • Italian Grill
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
  • Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague
  • Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World
MARK BITTMAN is one of the country's best-known and most widely respected food writers. His How to Cook Everything books, with one million copies in print, are a mainstay of the modern kitchen. Bittman writes for the Opinion section of New York Times on food policy and cooking, and is a columnist for the New York Times Magazine. His "The Minimalist" cooking show, based on his popular NYT column, ...more
More about Mark Bittman...