Start by marking “The Minimalist Cooks Dinner: More Than 100 Recipes for Fast Weeknight Meals and Casual Entertaining” as Want to Read:

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Back with another splendid collection, America’s most popular cooking authority and author of How to Cook Everything, presents more than 100 fast, sophisticated main courses for home cooks of every skill level.

The Minimalist Cooks Dinner showcases Mark Bittman’s signature ease and imagination, and focuses on center-of-the-plate main dishes. And, in this new volume, he al
Published July 21st 2010 by Clarkson Potter (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Minimalist Cooks Dinner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Minimalist Cooks Dinner

Jeffrey
Jan 26, 2009 Jeffrey rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: neophyte cooks who need simple recipes for after work dinner
Although several recipes claim that they will take no time, there is some serious prep time for those of us who cannot handle a knife like a person on Top Chef. For instance, Spicy Shrimp requires 4 cloves of garlic thinly sliced. Well it took me close to 20 minutes to cut two cloves of garlic, peel the skin and then dice and slice, but given that the closest I ever came to a clove was in a crossword, I though the prep time was worth it as the food came out pretty good.

The recipes seem fairly st
Mary
This has set new expectations of cookbooks for me. Not just do you get awesome recipes, but you also get variations as well as key pointers on how to get them right! (You also get ideas for what to serve it with, wine to pair it with, and a little editorial comment often with some history on the dish.) I'd like to broaden the range of things I'm comfortable cooking, but sometimes you get these ingredients that you've never used before and you end up guessing what to do with them. Well, here you ...more
AnnieM
clearly not doe the novice cook. It is a nice book to help the average cook to kick up the sophistication of their meals without losing one's sanity or time.

I will probably only write down a few recipients but for a home with few or no dietary restrictions, this is a good way to expand their cooking experience.
Heather
Very similar to Nigel Slater's recipes; they're simplistic but sound absolutely delicious.
Catherine Woodman
This is one of the best cookbooks that I don't own--mostly because alot of this is fairly intuitive for me--he is the most like me of any professional cook that I have read--which is not to say that I am any where near his level, but I already cook and eat in the neighborhood that her lives in. This would be GREAT if you lived alone and were persistently eating alone (something that I realized today that I have never ever done)...
Valary Smith
I think I must be picky about cookbooks. It was a good cookbook but I think I get frustrated when they take a rack of lamb or some kind of expensive fish and say "It is so simple". I found a few good recipes that I will try and I do like the approach that food does not have to be too complicated. I guess I still want it to fly onto my plate for less than $10 a person. :)
David
Yeah, I know second cookbook...what exactly do I read. Mark Bittman has a number of really easy recipes that have all come out well. I'm a big fan of the mussels and monk fish (never knew until this book). I also like that he gives some ideas on variations of a meal. Nice when you may not have all the ingredients on hand.
Anna
There are some great dinner ideas in this book, though definitely not the sort of slap-dash, throw-together-in-twenty-minutes dinners I usually make. A lot of these require a little more planning ahead and prepping, but would be well worthwhile.
Joanna Jacob
I am a huge fan of the Bittman.. and I learned from this book that you can make pasta like you would make risotto.. very interesting. Much like in "How to Cook Everything", he gives variations for the recipes.
Aja Marsh
3.5 - love mark bittman and the simplicity of this book is clear, but there aren't a lot of veggie things in here to keep me interested, but he makes making sort of fancy stuff seem easy so gotta love that.
Cherie
B+ A lot of non veg recipes but some interesting stuff. Good for the quick cook who don't have a ton of time. I'm eager to try the recipes for miso soup and pasta w parsley sauce - both seem easy and yummy.
Kerry Kenney
One of my favorite cookbooks. Essential for me, the new cook. This book was given to my sister as a wedding present, she gave it to me when I saw it on her shelf. I love it! I love his explanations.
Monica
Mark Bittman delivers. He's single-handedly revolutionized our kitchen. Well, not single-handedly. There have been others. But I wouldn't feel crazy buying every book he's ever written.
Tim
very boring for a bittman. nothing terribly innovative here - most of these recipes were from his minimalist series on the nytimes.
I love his column in the "New York Times" so thought I'd try the book. It has no photos to speak of so I'm already a little turned off...
Tiffany
Not nearly as good as things one finds in everyday foodscmagazine and fine cooking magazine. Not impressed in the slightest.
Mary
Feb 01, 2011 Mary added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Dave fought it...then bought it.
We now own it, and it's a great cook book.
"Love monk fish."
You should have almost everything for every recipe in your pantry already...
Karen
Yum - roast salmon with Pinot Noir syrup - what more do I need to say!
Lou
nice addition for how to cook everything, more about organizing dinners.
Wendy Hollister
Very simplified recipes that were not so appealing.
Morgan
No pictures. Still, good basic recipes.
Diane
All the Bittman books are good.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Zaina
Zaina added it
Nov 10, 2014
  • The 30-Minute Vegan's Taste of the East: 150 Asian-inspired recipes--from soba noodles to summer rolls
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • D.I.Y. Delicious: Recipes and Ideas for Simple Food from Scratch
  • At Home with Madhur Jaffrey: Simple, Delectable Dishes from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka
  • Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World
  • Great Food, All Day Long: Cook Splendidly, Eat Smart
  • A Love Affair With Southern Cooking: Recipes And Recollections
  • Michael Symon's Live to Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock Your Kitchen
  • The Indian Vegan Kitchen: More Than 150 Quick and Healthy Homestyle Recipes
  • Bobby Flay's Throwdown!: More Than 100 Recipes from Food Network's Ultimate Cooking Challenge
  • Patti Labelle's Lite Cuisine
  • Italian Grill
  • Think Like a Chef
  • Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics: The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook and The Lady & Sons, Too!
  • Get Cooking: 150 Simple Recipes to Get You Started in the Kitchen
  • Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor
  • Essentials of Cooking
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
MARK BITTMAN is one of the country's best-known and most widely respected food writers. His How to Cook Everything books, with one million copies in print, are a mainstay of the modern kitchen. Bittman writes for the Opinion section of New York Times on food policy and cooking, and is a columnist for the New York Times Magazine. His "The Minimalist" cooking show, based on his popular NYT column, ...more
More about Mark Bittman...
How To Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food How to Cook Everything Vegetarian Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating with More Than 75 Recipes The Best Recipes in the World VB6: Eat Vegan Before 6:00 to Lose Weight and Restore Your Health . . . for Good