Start by marking “Modelland (Modelland, #1)” as Want to Read:
Modelland (Modelland, #1)

Modelland (Modelland #1)

2.99 of 5 stars 2.99  ·  rating details  ·  2,041 ratings  ·  554 reviews
No one gets in without being asked. And with her untamable hair, large forehead, and gawky body, Tookie De La Crème isn’t expecting an invitation. Modelland—the exclusive, mysterious place on top of the mountain—never dares to make an appearance in her dreams.

But someone has plans for Tookie. Before she can blink her mismatched eyes, Tookie finds herself in the very place
Published April 26th 2011 by Random House Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Modelland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modelland

Wigs
Three stars? Three stars, Wigs??? You say???

This book. Where do I even start?

I picked up this book because of the second to last episode of America's Next Top Model all star season, which featured the priceless Modelland photoshoot which gave us these gifs:

And I was intrigued. I then further got incentive when my friend Kelcey and I decided to challenge ourselves to get through this almost 600 page book.

I
am
so
glad
this happened.

Why?

Because reading this book is like this:

Oh. Trust me. This book i
Blythe

Oh, look! I found a gif of Tyra writing Modelland!

Steph Sinclair
Mar 23, 2012 Steph Sinclair marked it as due-to-reviews-lost-interest
WTF is this?!

Tyra, Trya, Tyra... Oh you. Lol.

Let us do a bit of pre-reviewing shall we?

Tookie? Tookie?! Is that seriously the most creative name she could thing of? Then she had the nerve to tack on "De La Crème." For what, Tyra? Because if her "large forehead, and gawky body" doesn't drive the point home, her name will? Please stop while you're ahead
Sparrow
This is the worst book I’ve ever read. Worst. The worst book. I’ve read The Sword of Shannara and Skye O'Malley. This is the worst book. I can’t even believe this book exists. It is about . . .

Well, imagine if Effie Trinket wrote a book about Bella Swan that took place in David Lynch’s brain, using as literary reference the Harry Potter series and the Uglies series.

effie trinket looking crazy while she calls Katniss to the Hunger Games

Kristin Stewart emotional chart showing that her expressions never change

Dale Palmer bashing his head against a mirror and looking at a reflection of Bob

It is bad and somewhat horrifying at the same time. And while both Skye O’Malley and this book had some creepy abuse of women and g
Monica!
So I suddenly realized I hadn’t reviewed this, despite having finished it two weeks ago, and… I just don’t know if I’m going to be able to manage anything coherent.

Imagine you handed me a rotten fish and said, “Review this.” Well clearly, it’s a rotten fish. What can you say about it that isn’t immediately obvious? Any attempt to expound upon the clear, dead, smelly rotten fishness of the thing is just overkill.

But! Let it never be said that I don’t at least do my damndest to impart my opinion
Kiki
I absolutely HAVE to read this book. It looks supremely, enticingly shit, and you all know how much I love to shred books that make me die inside.

Bring it on, bitches!
Megan (Book Brats)
Modelland, a place where every girl’s dream comes true. A place where girls are turned into Intoxibellas, superheroes with powers of seduction, teleportation, empathy…

Okay, let’s face it. MODELLAND might possibly be one of the biggest literary train wrecks ever. If Tyra Banks was not some famous supermodel with bigger name recognition than Madeleine Albright, then this book would have hopefully never been published. The fact it was published anyway makes me question lots of things, particularly
John Egbert
description

If you remember, I believe I used the same for my to-read pre-review of City of Ashes. And we all know how much I liked that book. And how many status updates I trolled my friends with.

Those of you who read the shelves are probably thinking "WTF?? Why did she do that?"

Well, for the same reason anyone does anything, my dears:

TEH LULZ.
Giselle at Book Nerd Canada
I can't read the rest. It made my brain hurt. I got to chapter 5 and couldn't read anymore. Wow.
Kelly
Oh wow!
This is the most badly written book i have ever EVER read in my entire life. I honestly don't know how it got published, but oh well... it has, and I have read it!

It was tacky - she describes it as "camp" but the only this i found 'camp' is the gay as anything school teacher at the Modelland Academy, the rest is just ridiculously mindless and my 4 year old daughter could conjure up better names for any of the things/places/people. The names of the 4 sectors of the town will give you an id
Mikaela
Nov 30, 2011 Mikaela marked it as to-read
This little box is asking me what I think. To be honest I have no idea how in the world to explian that. The only thing going through my head is a loud and resounding "WHAT?"

I mean, Tookie De La Creme? With a name like that, you can just tell that this novel is NOT going to be pretty.

Some predictions?

- There will be a head bitch model who is super pretty and skinny and well loved/hated
- There will be a ridicoulously hot guys who falls for the ugly protagonist rather than the pretty skinny bit
Jennifer Rinehart
Tookie, according to the urban dictionary is an adjective used to describe a) a shotgun killing, in particular those of notorious Crips Gang founder, Stanley 'Tookie' Williams, and b) a female sex organ.

After having read this book, I think I can safely say that Ms. Banks is not alluding to Stanley Williams, his innocence or guilt or gangsta culture in general as for the female sex organ, hmm, I'm still not entirely sure.

Tookie de la Creme, the heroine of Modelland, wants to be a model, she also
S.J. Kincaid
I've only read the first chapter. IMO, this promises to be the most terrifying dystopian of all.
Traci
Dude.

I just read Modelland. In one day. Why? Because it's such a train wreck I couldn't actually stop. I don't know what I read. I'm confused. I think someone slipped me some drugs.

Things that I thought I'd get out of this book:
-modeling
-some posing with hands on hips or something
-a message of female empowerment
-maybe a romance?

What I actually got out of this book:
-dumpster diving
-armpit sniffing
-some very graphic puke scenes

So from the cover, I understood that this was a something-like-a-dysto
Anjum
Jul 20, 2014 Anjum rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like Tyra and ANTM who do not shy away from absolute crazed reality.
As a preface: I know that there are sooo many people that think that this book is such a trip that it's rather unreadable and they hate it. I actually completely understand this viewpoint, and I don't like the book for it's...Well a lot of things that one would classically write a book for. It really seems like a piece that someone would write and then post to the internet, not a published book. So I'll say straightaway that if you don't want a book that is somewhat of an acid trip, then don't r ...more
j
Oct 14, 2011 j marked it as to-read
Why do I want to read this so bad?

Why do I want to read this, so bad?
Goose
Nov 20, 2013 Goose rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people looking for something to have a drinking game with
So uhhh
Like where do I even start with this?

Okay, so Tyra Banks, world famous model, decided to enter the world of literature. I honestly believe this book was written by her and not ghost written because dude this fuckery

Like, just this fuckery

Okay so the main character Tookie de la Creme (yes all the names are like this, brace yourself) is a Tyra Banks self insert who is awkward and gawky and nobody even cares about her. She is unexpectedly chosen to come to Modelland: America's Next Top Model
Peter Derk
Here's the problem. My exhaustive review of Modelland takes up WAY too many characters to fit in a Goodreads box. So what I'm going to do is post the newest piece here. But you can find all the older portions at helpfulsnowman.com

I'm not just trying to pimp my web site here. Seriously, so far I've written 8,500 words on this book. There's just no other way to handle it.

Hopefully, when this living nightmare is over, I'll post everything in one massive, read-able post. But until then, just jump on
Laurie Smith
Update: Remember her audience appeals to 12-15 year old tweens.

Many of the reviewers passed through this awkward phase in life and probably can not relate to the story's message.

* * *
Original Review:
I admit, I am a self-professed America's Next Top Model fan hooked since season one. I find the model world and teens everywhere wanting this quest fascinating. Therefore, sit back, open the book, and enter the realm of Modelland. Tyra Banks delivers a fantasy tale with the same creative gusto whi
Anila
Aug 12, 2011 Anila marked it as not-with-a-ten-foot-pole
You know, Cillian, I'd heard of this one before you recommended it.

I have zero intention of reading it. Ever.

I mean, egad. When was the last time you heard something this stupid?
Jess
Look, I won't lie, I enjoyed this book. I enjoyed it in the way that I enjoyed watching the first four seasons of Jersey Shore back to back.
It's ridiculous. I think the only memorable mention is that there are so many fashion puns, like "Run-way, don't walk!" that made me cringe and laugh, because I love puns, no matter how bad they are. In fact, the worse they are, the better.

As for everything else? Meh.

The world building is confusing, and I still have no idea what happened. I assume it's set
Melissa Powers
Sometimes a decent book is slightly weird enough, or slightly cliche enough, or slightly stupid enough to ruin your enjoyment. Tyra Banks' "Modelland" is an amazing achievement, boldly flying in the face of all those problems, and is somehow weird and cliche and stupid enough to be surprising and riveting.

One of the only books I have ever read where I was literally kept guessing until the end. So unexpected, I loved every second of the madness.

Also, for all those unsure of picking this one up,
Hayden
Mar 15, 2015 Hayden marked it as how-bout-no
Seriously, Goodreads? You're wondering why I'm not going to read this?
DO YOU HAVE A BRAIN??
Lisa Eskra
Take the first Harry Potter book and mash it together with some cheesy romance and prose comparable to Stephanie Meyer. That's "Modelland." I'd expected a short book, but it's over 500 pages long, and is the first of a trilogy. I cannot get over how amateurish the cover looks. It looks worse than many self-published novels I've seen. And judging by the clunky text, I'd almost mistake it for one.

The first think I noticed about the novel were the questionable name choices for the characters. Tooki
Lore
Oct 03, 2011 Lore marked it as not-going-to-read
Oh. Okay.

WHAT THE FREX IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE??

Okay, so first it's Duff, now we got Tyra Banks?

I'm sorry, but stick to your day job.

And Tookie De La Creme? What is this girl? A Desert?

...And after reading the first chapter online for free, um....well it makes a stephenie meyer book look like a masterpiece.
No kidding, I might be being harsh, but really, go see for yourself:
Here, If you dare

And I guess it was about time some pop-head decided to write a Hunger Games/Uglies rip-off.

...Int
Annie
I just read the excerpt and honestly, I've never read anything this bad.The writing is so bad, it makes Stephanie Mayers look...good. It pains me to say that. Like, legitimately, I'm getting chest pains writing this.
The excerpt sort of reminded me of the the first time I saw the Pawggles commercial. You know...those stuffed animal things that turn into slippers? The less awesome version of pillow pets? No? Well here

(sorry, the HTML thing confuses me)

I'm s
♔ Leah.
If this book doesn't win the Pulitzer and the Man Booker Prize as well as Tyra Banks not being a Nobel Laureate. I swear to God I will cut a bitch.

Flawless, Better than J.K Rowling etc...
Aly∞
Sep 09, 2014 Aly∞ marked it as to-read
Shelves: buddy-read-figgy
You know what? I'm going to read this for the LOLs. Shitty book with a shitty plot and even shittier characters?

*cracks knuckles*

BRING IT ON!
The Holy Terror
OMG, THIS IS GOING TO BE FIERCE.
Sonja
Aug 14, 2012 Sonja rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are brave
normally a book this badly written would receive one star, but i have to give tyra an extra star for ~*imagination*~. i mean, i have no idea what she was TRYING to write, but this is almost bizarro fiction. okay, it IS. tyra hasn't done anything this weird since LIFE SIZE!

first of all, i have to share this little snippet from the acknowledgements at the end of the book:

"It was a real treat for me to read a section of Modelland for half an hour to childen who didn't speak English. I thought that
All That We Love: Am I the Only One Who Liked this Book? 3 10 Nov 11, 2014 01:01PM
ONTD Book Club: July - Modelland 82 178 Jul 26, 2012 09:57PM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. 5-stars Review Spammers 15 282 Oct 09, 2011 11:46AM
  • Twilight, True Love and You: Seven Secret Steps to Finding Your Edward or Jacob
  • Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!!
  • How to Be Famous: Our Guide to Looking the Part, Playing the Press, and Becoming a Tabloid Fixture
  • Revealing Eden (Save the Pearls, #1)
  • Out
  • Confessions of a Guidette
  • The Vanishing
  • Confessions of an Heiress: A Tongue-in-Chic Peek Behind the Pose
  • League of Strays
  • Fifty Shades of Alice Through the Looking Glass (Fifty Shades of Alice Trilogy #2)
  • Kardashian Konfidential
  • Kim Kardashian West: Selfish
  • Adela Arthur and the Creator's Clock (The Chronicles of A, #1)
  • Coming Out Straight: Understanding and Healing Homosexuality
  • The Rules According to Jwoww
  • A Restless Knight (The Dragons of Challon, #1)
  • The Long Wait for Tomorrow
  • 150 Pounds: A Novel of Waists and Measures
Tyra Lynne Banks is an American supermodel, television personality, talk show host, actress, businessperson and singer. She became famous first as a model in Paris, Milan, London, Tokyo, and New York, but television appearances made her even more so. She is known best as hostess/judge of the reality television show America's Next Top Model since its 2003 debut, and is currently hosting her own Day ...more
More about Tyra Banks...

Modelland (2 books)
  • Untitled (Modelland, #2)
Tyra's Beauty Inside & Out Untitled (Modelland, #2)

“Love is an excuse to be stupid” 8 likes
“He followed the sweet scent not of blood orange, but of the pancreas and thymus glands that lived within one particular platinum-headed Unica, and he resumed his trek to Modelland.” 1 likes