Start by marking “Freak Nation: A Field Guide to 101 of the Most Odd, Extreme, and Outrageous American Subcultures” as Want to Read:

Vegans. Skateboarders. Trekkies. The Cult of the Individual is alive and well and expressing itself all over America--and this book proves it. With this enlightening (and sometimes frightening) field guide, you'll delve into the customs, mores, and motivations behind every type of fan, geek, and superfreak, including:

SwingersHackersDungeon MastersHappening ArtistsCryptozoo
Published November 16th 2010 by Adams Media Corporation (first published October 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Freak Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freak Nation

Jess Neice
May 01, 2011 Jess Neice rated it really liked it
When various subcultures and belief systems intermingle, it's likely to cause controversy. Opinions clash, someone gets irritated, others go home with broken noses. But why?

Our understanding of the "freaks" of today's culture is relatively limited, and it's likely to stem conflict when that lack of understanding begets ignorant opinion. In my opinion, that's exactly what Kate Stevens is combatting with this book. I knew quite a deal about many of the groups listed, and consider myself to be par
Tommy
Apr 24, 2011 Tommy rated it liked it
This is more of a reference book than a page-turner, with short overviews of a variety of subcultures.

From the folks you see at DragonCon (Trekkies, Furries, and Cosplayers) to Macrobioticists and Steampunkers, the book covers a gamut of art, fashion, food, sex, music, collectors, lifestyles, politics, and technology. All the little pockets of pervasive behaviors that can be grouped together, from Tea Partiers and MENSA members to Goths and Civil War Re-enactors.

Whether it's a Tavern Trivia grou
Shana
Sep 26, 2012 Shana rated it it was ok
(This review was originally posted on Elevate Difference).

As the subheading states, Freak Nation is truly a field guide to American subcultures. Its format presents each group as if it were a species of bird in a bird-watching guide. For instance, you can learn where they are typically found, what their most distinctive trait is, and how to recognize one in “the wild.” Much of this humorous book plays upon stereotypes and pokes generous fun at these subcultures and what makes them so, well, fasc
Amy
Mar 23, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
This was a enjoyable read for me. Stevens created a nice blend of informative and cheeky. Sometimes I did wonder if she made up some of the derogatory names in the "Just Don't Call Them" sections, as a few of them seemed a little contrived and hokey. Still, it was fun to learn about all the various "freaks" out there. The Grungers section really brought back fun memories of my college days. Now if I only had the cash flow to be an HTCPer....
Mar 27, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Something to be read bits at a time. You may find yourself in it (I did twice) and found her descriptions to be funny and fairly accurate. A fun light read if you are curious about a variety of America's subcultures.
Apr 29, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Interesting and usually humorous. The layout was repetitive and boring at some parts so it took me much longer to read than I thought it would.
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
May 23, 2013
Heather Childers
Heather Childers rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2012
Eric R
Eric R rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2011
Jaime
Jaime rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2011
Aaron Culley
Aaron Culley rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2011
Kimmie
Kimmie rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2011
Sammi Vanderpal
Sammi Vanderpal rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2013
Chuck Johnson
Chuck Johnson rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Casper
Casper rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
John
John rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2014
Heather Wallen
Heather Wallen rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Jessica PH
Jessica PH rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Michael McCluskey
Michael McCluskey rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Laci Scearce
Laci Scearce rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2014
Nastashia
Nastashia rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2011
April Migel
April Migel rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2012
C.J. Arellano
C.J. Arellano rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2011
Milanie Howard
Milanie Howard rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2014
Meagan Davis
Meagan Davis rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2013
Brianne
Brianne rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2013