Start by marking “Stealing Henry” as Want to Read:
Stealing Henry

Stealing Henry

"The night Savannah brains her stepfather with the frying pan is the night she decides to leave home for good."

Fleeing from her stepfather's wrath, Savannah and her half brother, Henry, travel north toward their mother Alice's childhood home. As the runaways embark upon their journey, another story begins to unfold: glimpses of Alice as a teenager, caught in poignant first
Published May 1st 2005 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Stealing Henry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stealing Henry

Rebecca McNutt
May 22, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
Fantastic trip through nostalgia, accompanied by vibrant characters, vivid imagery and an original plot. This was an excellent little novel and I highly recommend it.
Lisa Collins (Lisa Likes Books)
I loved Stealing Henry. I’ll admit I wasn’t completely pulled in by the synopsis on the jacket. The story sort of seemed like a snoozefest and the book is rather short (just 200 pages), so I figured it would flop--and though the cover is pretty, I was absolutely judging it. Honestly, they tell you not to judge a book by its cover for a reason. Shout out to Rodrigo Corral, by the way. Woop woop!

The book description absolutely does not live up to the book itself. The book is short and fast paced b
Kelly
Sep 27, 2016 Kelly added it
Stealing Henry, written by Carolyn McCullough, tells the story of Savannah and Henry with their journey about running away from the dreadful lifestyle they are forced to live in. Their abusive step-father fueled Savannahs abrupt leaving. With their mom always working and letting every abusive action fade into nothing, Savannah does what she feels as right by running away with her brother Henry. Their journey will force Savannah to deal with the consequences and whether what she did was right. Re ...more
Hannah
Dec 11, 2009 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I kind of loved this book. Kind of. In that 5/5 way. Read it in under 4 hours. Carolyn did a brilliant job with Alice and Savannah's voices, with flashbacks into the past, with the characterization of even the minor characters. It ended the way real-life would, which again I loved.

Much recommended to you :)
Elise
Jan 20, 2009 Elise rated it really liked it
It was fantastic. I only wish it had been longer.
Amanda
Apr 11, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
Darcy
Jun 18, 2011 Darcy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, ya
Savannah is in a tough spot. Her stepfather is a drunk and has hated her from day one, her mother who used to be her best friend, works all the time to escape from home, and Henry her little brother worships her. Things come to a head one night when Savannah is cooking dinner, mom works over nights, step-daddy, drunk again, starts in on her. When Henry walks in to stop the yelling the anger is turned on him, this is when Savannah snaps. She grabs the pan and beans step-daddy, grabs Henry and run ...more
Emma
Jan 24, 2015 Emma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
The night Savannah brains her stepfather Jack with the frying pan is the night she decides to leave home for good. It doesn't matter that she has no money and her eight-year-old brother Henry to take care of. It doesn't even matter that her stepfather will probably follow them. Savannah can stand a few obstacles as well as she can a slap or two. What she can't stand is the idea of becoming like her mother Alice.

Alice used to be someone Savannah admired, someone she could look up to. But that was
Jill
Aug 26, 2010 Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This book felt way too brief. There was a great, engaging plot and the flashbacks to Savannah's life with Alice on the road were good. However, Savannah's relationship with her stepfather wasn't villainous enough for my tastes, especially when it seemed that she "just didn't like him" from the beginning. This didn't bother me at first, but when juxtaposed with her feelings for Kurti (another automatic dislike for no particular reason) it made me wonder why we should believe Savannah.

(I'm NOT exc
Sheryl
Jan 28, 2009 Sheryl rated it really liked it
Savannah has lived a nomadic life with her mother, Alice, as they drift from town to town with seemingly little direction or purpose. But all that changes when their car breaks down on the side of the New Jersey Turnpike and her soon-to-be stepfather, Jack, stops to help them. Now Savannah finds herself suddenly and unexpectedly once more on the road; only this time without Alice. Fleeing from Jack's wrath, Savannah and her 8-year-old half brother, Henry, head north into the territory of Alice's ...more
Bethany
Jan 11, 2008 Bethany rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
Stealing Henry is a young adult novel about a teenager who runs away, along with her younger brother, from an abusive father. The story is nothing new. However, MacCullough writes well and creates characters who are both believable and trustworthy. Since the print is huge and the margins are likewise, I finished it rather quickly; at the end I found myself feeling like I do on Thanksgiving - really quite satisfied, but more than ready for that pumpkin pie that is sitting on the counter. I would ...more
Hallie
Jul 13, 2008 Hallie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Finished this today, and may do a proper review when I'm feeling less brain-fuzzy.

I thought this was just great - really well-written, great characters, and I loved the way Savannah's mother's story was interwoven - just enough that it added but didn't overwhelm Savannah's story. Savannah was a nicely complex character, which was good, as her 'determined survivor' nature would likely have been one-note characterization in many authors' hands. I was amazed to find myself so drawn in that I was h
Ashley
Apr 30, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it
It was really good but I wished that they would've gave more information as to what becomes of Henry and the family.
Anna
Jul 17, 2014 Anna rated it it was ok
Wow, I haven't been on Goodreads in a while! Anyway, this book just wasn't that great to me. It wasn't bad, but I wasn't a big fan of the book. Overall, it was okay…so I'll give it a 2.5.
Hunter
Mar 30, 2008 Hunter rated it liked it
Saving Henry is about Savannah and her brother Henry on the run from their abusive father. Their mother usually just tells them to go to a neighbors house, but not this time. Savannah has had enough, after knocking out her stepdad, Jack, she tells Henry to pack their things, and they take off. Along the way you see past glimpses of Savannah and Henry's mother, Alice, and her struggles of her first love and teen pregnancy.
Jess
Jan 01, 2012 Jess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya

Much recommended to you :)
Jamie Brooks
Aug 07, 2010 Jamie Brooks rated it it was amazing
This was a really touching book. I feel like it could have been non-fiction. I felt sorry for Savannah and Alice, they both lost certain things in their life that changed who they were. I wish Alice would have wised up and gone back to old Alice. Written lovely though.
Michelle
Jun 20, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it
I just finished this book today, and loved it. It tells a story about a girl named Savannah and her younger step-brother, Henry, as they try to run away from Savannah's abusive step-father, while revealing pieces of their mother, Alice's past.
Bridget
Jul 27, 2009 Bridget rated it really liked it
Loved this. When you're on the cusp of adulthood you learn that growing up doesn't mean you make less mistakes. Usually it means you make more.

This author writes conversations better than anyone I've read in a while.
Teen
Savannah makes a decision that she can't take the abuse anymore and escapes with her stepbrother, running away from a home that is no longer safe.
Stephanie A.
Jul 19, 2012 Stephanie A. rated it liked it
Written in present tense, cut with flashbacks from the mother's perspective - that's two types of new, but it still didn't make a great impact on me.
Amy Ryan
Jul 03, 2008 Amy Ryan rated it it was amazing
A book that explores the relationship between past and present. Beautifully written and intense.
Miriam
May 25, 2010 Miriam added it
i cried at the end.... its very good i like books like this
Cari
Cari marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Charissa
Charissa marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Tai
Tai marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Tara Higgins
Tara Higgins marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Laura Wilcoxon
Laura Wilcoxon marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Sinziana
Sinziana marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Kaleidoscope Eyes
  • Contents Under Pressure
  • Zebra and Other Stories
  • Love (and Other Uses for Duct Tape) (Belle, #2)
  • Deaf Like Me
  • The Tidal Zone
  • The Love Wife
  • The Puppet Master
  • Chained (Sam Jones, #6)
  • A Sense of Wonder: On Reading and Writing Books for Children
  • Orphea Proud
  • The Girl with a Baby
  • Mondays Are Red
  • Weird Parents
  • When Dad Killed Mom
  • Restless Spirit: The Life and Work of Dorothea Lange
  • Suburban Girl's Rebellion
  • Gom on Windy Mountain (Gom, #1)
Carolyn MacCullough received her MFA in creative writing from the New School and lives with her husband in Brooklyn.
More about Carolyn MacCullough...