Start by marking “The Spymasters (Men at War, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Spymasters (Men at War, #7)

The Spymasters (Men at War #7)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  571 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Summer 1943. Two of the Allies’ most important plans for winning World War II are at grave risk—Operation Overlord’s invasion of France, and the Manhattan Project’s race to build the atomic bomb. A furious FDR turns to OSS spy chief Wild Bill Donovan—and Donovan turns to his top agent, Dick Canidy, and his team. They’ve certainly got their work cut out for them.

In the week
Published August 7th 2012 by Putnam Adult (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Spymasters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spymasters

The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréTinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick ForsythThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
Espionage
391st out of 539 books — 605 voters

More lists with this book...

JBradford
This is the latest (Volume 7) in the Men At War Series, which W.E.B. Griffin started back in 1984 and which his son is continuing. A good read--but I often wonder, when I read these accounts of frictional heroes who did things at pivotal points that changed history why some of the actual survivors of those times and battles do not rise up and cry havoc. I have to admit that realization that this is fiction and that therefore the reality of the events did not happen quite this way has a tendency ...more
Jim A

I’ve read enough of the W.E.B. Griffin books that were actually written by his son, W.E.B. IV, to know better than to expect too much. The Spymasters was not any different. Too much dialogue between characters and no action. It’s not that WEB IV can’t write, he just doesn’t write with the same intensity as his father. To put a point on it, his books are just plain boring when compared to his father’s style with the same characters and plot lines.

I’ve been reading W.E.B. Griffin’s Men At War se
Ginney Etherton
I'm usually not a fan of war stories, but this was good to listen to on boring drives. It refreshed my memories of WW2 history that I'd learned in school and old movies. The dramatization was a lot like old war movies, and may not be taken seriously by history buffs. I imagine this series is popular with Tom Clancy readers. Only those who were there can verify the accuracy.
Andrea
This is the latest installment in the Men at War series. I have read all of Griffin's books. My very favories are the Brotherhood of War, The Corps and Badge of Honor series.

Griffin always incorporates real people and events with fictional characters. In the spymasters - which takes place in the European theater in 1943, there are Bill Donovan, Allan Dulles, FDR, Eisenhower and all of the German bad guys as well as some traitors to the Allies.

The OSS is the forerunner to the CIA. There is a cov
Peter
The story moved along at a good clip, with the scenes of historical characters the most interesting to me.
Rich Finnigan
Not what he used to write. Afraid I've lost interest in all his series. Seems like they're reworded and I'm now reading the same thing in each series. Too bad. This was an author I enjoyed.
Skye Taylor
I love W.E.B. Griffin books and can't wait for new ones to come out, but his last few have begun to drag. He repeats far too much information I already knew from the last book that doesn't really impact the current book and could be left out. I think the repetitiveness and minutiae is beginning to pall and I probably won't bother with new additions to any of his established series unless I can borrow them from the library on CD to listen to in the car. I wish he'd start a new series with totally ...more
Andy
It's been a while since I've read from the Man at War series by Griffin. Luckily a good portion of the book is spent reminding the reader of who's who and where the story was left off. This is the story of the OSS in Europe/North Africa. At this point, Sicily is about to be invaded but Canidy and his crew need to do a little work there beforehand. A typical Griffin novel in that the work goes into presenting the problem and then the end is rushed through since the build up was so detailed.
Howard Anders
"The Spymasters" is an improvement over the last two books in this series, but still lacking the "oomph" of the first four books. Perhaps I'm a bit jaded on the W.E.B. Griffin formula? Given the scope of OSS activities during WWII, there is plenty of potential fuel out there for future books. Hope this series gets some of its "bang" back, and doesn't fizzle to conclusion like Griffin's Marine Corps series did.
Jack
Really good book, but it seemed like they got tired of writing and just wrapped it up. A great story up till the last 20 pages or so, when all of a sudden, it's over. This seems to characterize many of Griffin and son's latest works, which I don't understand in light of the earlier, almost exhaustive works. Worth a read, but I'm a little disappointed.
Mel Becerra
I just have a moment to write this review. Essentially, I had fun. Not the best I've read, but I had a good time. The lead character is likeable and the story moves through well. I haven't read other stories by this author(s), but I understand the earlier novels are better. I am willing and wanting to find out more about them.
Harry Cabrera
This book wasn't really good. I couldn't finish it because it was too boring. There were too many characters which got me lost in finding the Climax and the central theme. I don't recommend this book to no one who is a fan of WEB Griffin.
P.j.
As always, Griffin/Butterworth are a good read. Throughout all of the different series, he's written, I've always come back for more to find out the latest happenings with the characters in the different novels. Able to keep me riveted each time with the fast paced action and well researched background.
David Wheeler
I liked the book. It was a solid extension of the familiar characters and explores the highly plausible scenario of the Nazis developing nerve gas to use in bombarding London with the V-1. And he does the good anti-Nazi German theme that he has done so well in a number of his books.
Chuck Mck
As was true of other books since Butterworth IV became involved, marketing this as a novel is a crime. It was a short story with 90% filler - two lines of dialogue followed by four paragraphs of explanation copied from prior books in the series.
Mike
The book was kind of hard to get into. I kept wanting to put it aside and read something else. Kind of a meh, bland book. Some good enough moments to keep it from falling further than a three star rating, but barely.
Vincent
I have read every W.E.B. Griffin novel,and all of the previous books in this series. This was the worst of his works - seemed thrown together and wasn't nearly as engaging as other stuff he (they) have written.
Ron Wade
A truly bad book. Hard to see any influence of the great Griffin in the work. Much of the writing is pedantic. The "top secret" dispatches readv like seventh grade English compositions.
Sorry......
Doug Branscombe
This book just didn't do it for me. A look behind the scenes at the spy network in Europe during WWII. Characters were well developed, but the story line didn't grab me.
Andrew Porteus
As always from Griffin & Butterworth - an action filled yarn following a variety of characters we've come to love and admire. Who wouldn't want to be Canidy?
Bill
I loved all of the earlier series that WEB Griffin wrote but now there is just too much repetition of older material assembled in a new package.
Richard
I love the series, but I don't like being left hanging at the end. But by now, with WEB Griffin, I should not be surprised. Goodread.
Liz V.
An age thing, perhaps, but two thirds of the book seems devoted to identifying historical characters, with a thin veneer of storyline.
Karola Wright
Love it, want more books could read forever greeting lost in the stories and enjoying history a lot more with his (their) writing
L-J Johnson
World War II. Hitler versus Churchill. And Richard Canidy and crew, heroes all, do what they must do. Good.
Tim
As far as novels go about WWII, this one is not up to par with a number of Mr. Griffin’s stories. 4 of 10 stars
Jerald
Interesting but seemed a lot of the book recounted events in previous books and added little additional.
Kathy

This was my first and last W.E.B. Griffin book. It's what I considered to be a slow read.
Scott
I got about 150 pages in and it was still boring. Last one of WEB Griffin's sons' books I read.
John
Aug 13, 2012 John added it
Enjoyed it, enough history mixed in to the fiction to make it interesting AND informative.
  • Poseidon's Arrow (Dirk Pitt, #22)
  • Shattered Trident (Jerry Mitchell, #4)
  • Intercept (Mack Bedford, #2)
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
  • A Devil Is Waiting (Sean Dillon #19)
  • The Amistad Rebellion: An Atlantic Odyssey of Slavery and Freedom
  • Amongst My Enemies
  • The Atomic Times: My H-Bomb Year at the Pacific Proving Ground
  • Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2)
  • The Sands Of Sakkara
  • Bombs Away
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...
The Hostage (Presidential Agent, #2) Semper Fi (The Corps, #1) By Order of the President (Presidential Agent, #1) The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War, #1) Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)