Start by marking “The Walk: Clear Direction and Spiritual Power for Your Life” as Want to Read:
The Walk: Clear Direction and Spiritual Power for Your Life

The Walk: Clear Direction and Spiritual Power for Your Life

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Are you walkingwith God, dragging your feet, or running ahead of Him? Take the first step in living at God's pace.

When you start walking with God, it’s easy to misplace the emphasis. You might think it’s about seeking perfection or impressing God with your level of commitment. But God isn’t looking for perfection, and no matter how hard you try, you will never be able to i
Published October 5th 2010 by WaterBrook Press (first published September 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Walk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walk

Brenten Gilbert
this book wouldn’t have hit home quite as effectively for me if i didn’t have a dog… it may sound strange, but there it is… here’s the deal… putting my dog – a puppy – on a leash and trying to train him to walk nicely has worked in conjunction with this book, opening my eyes to the importance of walking “humbly with our God”…

my dog is half beagle and half jack russell terrier (adorable, but a handful at times), so when we walk – he’s either nose-to-the-ground sniffing out crickets or running ful
Ellen
In The Walk, Shaun stresses the importance of order in becoming a mature Christian. He lays out 5 stages that each person can walk through: Unbeliever, Believer, Example, Teacher, and Imparter. He states that if a believer were to "skip a stage in the maturity process, error will creep in. Get ahead of God, and things will start to go wrong. But follow His (God's) order in your life, and you will see amazing things happen." p. 21

He breaks each stage down into becoming a Believer, Example, etc an
Jud Kossum
The Walk by former NFL star Shaun Alexander is apparently written for those Christians young in their faith, but its bland, trite style and theologically questionable premise make it a book only someone with a fairly mature understanding of Scripture ought to attempt to slog through. Even then, there would be very little reward in the end.

Alexander’s premise is this: Since “God is not a God of confusion but of peace” (1 Corinthians 14:33 - often translated as “order” rather than “peace”), that H
Robert Stump
Homo Homini Lupus

Family Shepherds is a book that is hard not to get behind, the premise being such a stick at our politically correct, post-sense, nonsense culture. The driving idea behind Shepherds is that families are responsible for the discipling of their children. Listen closely. That distant sound like popping popcorn. That is the sound of minds being blown. It's true.

Baucham goes even further: Husbands are responsible to disciple their wives, Fathers
Chris
“The Walk” by Shaun Alexander is an enjoyable read. I believe the author is correct in his assertion, “follow [God’s] order in your life, and you will see amazing things happen”.

Shaun takes the reader through a crucible of five stages of development. He utilizes these as a benchmarking system in the development of disciples. In a church world that often highlights large numbers ahead of personal development I found Shaun’s work to be deeply personal and encouraging to believers who desire to gro
Joel Jackson
The Walk by Shaun Alexander was an enriching journey down the path of discipleship. Many aspects of this book blessed me and caused me to think about where I am in my walk with Jesus. The stages of the journey were most interesting to contemplate. While each offered insight into my own spiritual life, I found that it may not be quite as clear cut as the author stated it. In my experience as a youth pastor, with my own walk and with the walks of those students I have been blessed to disciple ther ...more
Lynnda Ell
The Walk, a Geography Lesson

Shaun Alexander—an outstanding professional athlete—gave me a geography lesson on the land of Spiritual Maturity. No short cuts can take a person through this territory. It’s a mountainous region and everyone starts at the bottom as an Unbeliever. Walking is the only mode of transportation and Shaun Alexander describes the marks of a citizen of each region and identifies the trial, traps, and victories found there. He uses the Apostle Peter as his biblical example of
Sharon Heaverly Machuga French
This book was awesome in detailing the steps in our life with God. It explicitly explains each step so that you can identify with where you are in that walk with God. It then helps you find the next path you must take to get to the place where God wants to see all of us.

I love reading about professional athletes that are Christian and Shaun Alexander does an excellent job of letting you know how he got where he is today.

This was an excellent read and I have referred it to several people who are
Cassandra

Another recent review copy received is The Walk by Shaun Alexander. I wanted to like this book; I really did. I think the main issue is just that I wasn't the target audience.

Football references mostly worked for me because I watched football for years with my dad. However, the steps a Christian moves through in his life are completely action based. As a woman, I am more emotion based. For me, spiritual maturity is more about beliefs and emotions and the actions that come from that, ra
Melissa Harrison
This is a great book! When I started to read , I expected it to be more autobiographical. It is actually more of a guidebook with inspirational stories about Shaun's life woven in to provide encouragement, give reasons for why he is advising something in particular and demonstrate what can actually happen in a person's life when they truly walk with God on a daily basis.
I like this book because it was not only packed with information and useful advice, it also entertained me and grabbed my at
Cheryl
Excerpt that most affected me:
"...as you mature in Christ, you start to shift your focus from 'don't' to 'do'. Love God. Serve Him with all your heart. Love your neighbor. Care for the poor. Forgive those who hurt you, and do it without being asked. Forgive in advance those who you know are going to hurt you. Let go of the rights you've clung to all your life - the right to be treated well, the right to have your own way, and the right to get mad when things don't go your way. Get rid of the ri
Eric Corp
Shaun thinks that Wanderers and Wonderers are non-believers. I think that there are a lot of Wanderers and Wonderers who are believers. The "Walk" with Jesus is never ending, always wondering and wandering. The book talks about the order God wants us to follow to spiritual maturity. From Wanderer to Wonderer, then to Believer, Example, Teacher, and Imparter. The premise is good and the thoughts are provoking, but I'm not convinced that God really wants that strict of order.
Carmen
Goodreads Win :)

This was a very inspiring book teaching about walking with God. I found the book very helpful as a new Christian. I never knew until I read the book that there are many steps of Christianity: unbeliever, believer, example, teacher, and imparter.

I recommend to anyone who is a new Christian like me who wants to learn more about being more Christlike and Christianity.
Joe Hilley
Earlier this year I had the privilege of assisting former NFL running back Shaun Alexander with preparation of his latest book, The Walk. It's now available at local retailers and online at all the usual places.
Denise
A challenging and encouraging book looking at what God has for us. The value is in the text, not just the fame of the author.
Irwin
Oct 23, 2011 Irwin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I just won as a goodreads giveaway! waiting to read it. Thanks.
Summer
Summer marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Ryan Skeens
Ryan Skeens marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2013
Scott Baldwin
Scott Baldwin marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2013
Macy
Macy marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2013
Bruce Lapen
Bruce Lapen is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2012
Austin Baskin
Austin Baskin marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2012
Austin Baskin
Austin Baskin marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Touchdown Alexander: My Story of Faith, Football, and Pursuing the Dream The Complete History of Crimson Tide Football