Start by marking “The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft, #8)

The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft #8)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  2,809 ratings  ·  142 reviews
Published October 19th 2010 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Shattering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shattering

The Shattering does a great job of leading the reader into the Cataclysm, and it’s definitely one of the best Warcraft books so far. Mostly because it actually made me feel something.

First of all, I have a new addition to my ever longer list of favourite characters. He’s a bull. And for the first time, I actually want to start playing as a bull because of the awesomeness of this particular bull. All hail Cairne Bloodhoof, ladies and gentlemen.

Second, I want to go back in time to pre-invasion Dra
Ernie Jr.
I was fortunate in a way in reading this novel by Christie Golden. My wife became pregnant with twins in March of 2009 and I shut down my WoW account just before making it to Icecrown in the game. This means I have not played Cataclysm yet. As a high school teacher and a parent of twins, I really don't even see much of the gaming world these days except for the occasional Hearts or Minesweeper game during my off period.

The Shattering took me back into that world, advancing an already terrific st
Any review of The Shattering, like a review for any franchise novel, has to be written with a big caveat: Do you have any interest in the franchise?

I am a Warcraft guy. I play regularly. I've read several of the books. I am fairly, though not 'religiously' well versed in the lore.

As Warcraft books go, The Shattering is excellent. Well written, nicely paced, and there are some compelling details and insights for those of the lore nerd persuasion.

If you have followed the widely available pre-Catac
I really don't understand how this has so many positive reviews. I mean, there's not too much that is good in this book. I'd say maybe people who read Blizzard books have very low standards, but I ready "Heaven's Devils" and that was pretty good. This isn't. Some of the parts with Thrall are interesting, and that's about it. The biggest problem with this book in my opinion is Anduin. The book spends WAY too much time on him and he is the least interesting character in the story! It's been severa ...more
Adrian Faulkner
As a rule, I don’t have a problem with Tie-In Fiction. I’m very much in the “you like what you like” camp and don’t think you should ever be ashamed of your reads.
The argument against tie-in fiction is often that it is of a lesser quality, that because it is work for hire, authors don’t give it the same attention they would their own creation. I don’t think that’s necessarily true any more.
However, I have encountered more than a couple of tie-ins which fail to capture the spirit of the property
John Carter McKnight
A gripping, superlatively well-told fantasy - set in the Warcraft universe. This could easily stand alone as an excellent story, but WoW players and lore geeks will adore it. The political upheavals of Cataclysm are set in an entirely sensible context, with every character rendered as complex and fully-nuanced, even fan fave-hates Garrosh and Varian.

Impressively for a fantasy novel, teenage prince Anduin Wrynn is presented as a genuine, complex young man, not a Hero of Destiny or a Cute Precoci
Tyler James
Its so hard to read Warcraft books. I wish I didn't get so enormously attached to the characters. I mourn so deeply when any of them die that I don't want to continue reading the story.

This book encompasses three huge arcs that that tie together.

1. Thrall going back to his homeland because of Azeroth's elements being in turmoil.
2. Magatha trying to take over the Tauren.
3. Moira coming back to take over the Dwarves. And subsequently her holding Anduin prisoner.

I absolutely hated reading about C
You can read the full review over at my blog:

As far back as I can remember, the first video game that I owned, good and proper, was the Game of The Year edition of WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness. An elder cousin, on holiday from college in US, got me the game and I was hooked on it immediately. It was my first real taste of a fantasy game like this. I finished both campaigns, Human and Orc, in short order (a few weeks or something), and spent several weeks
Angelya (Tea in the Treetops)
If you're a World of Warcraft player you'll know what this book is about before you start, although perhaps not predict which of the actual events leading up to the Cataclysm are in it.

One of the things that most annoyed me with the way the Shattering was handled in the World of Warcraft game is that, overnight (with a content patch), the story jumped forwards an undisclosed amount of time. The events described in The Shattering happened, only explained by a few quest lines here and there. Sudde
Protip: You are not going to understand half of what this book is talking about if you don't play World of Warcraft. Cause, well, most of the stuff that is referenced in here is in the game. And it doesn't really explain itself because they expect that you play the game or at least have a decent amount of knowledge about it.

Seriously, though, if you're willing to look past that or you play World of Warcraft, The Shattering is actually really, really good. I do wish that they had taken some time
Mogsy (MMOGC)
With the World of Warcraft expansion looming on the horizon, I thought it prudent to give this one a read before the cataclysm descends upon us all. As it turns out, my timing couldn’t have been better. Elemental invasions and other pre-Cataclysm events are unfolding on the live servers even as we speak. Since the novel deals with important WoW characters and their struggle to understand the increasingly unruly behavior of Azeroth’s elements, I felt it complemented my in-game experience nicely.

Better than Lord of the Clans, which I also enjoyed. I read Christie Golden before she was cool (Vampire of the Mists BAM) and I knew when she turned her hand to a media tie-in it would be a real novel. I've read some of the other authors who have done work for Warcraft. They aren't novelists. Christie Golden is. It's a shame she's such a traitorous HORDE LOVER, but what can you do?

I already liked Anduin and she made me like him more. I've always hated Garrosh and I still do, but he's a bit more
So World of Warcraft: The Shattering tells the story of the lead up to "The Shattering", where Azeroth is attacked by Deathwing. I was expecting it to be about the events of the Shattering, ie the world falling apart, however it turned out to be more about the polotics of Azeroth than anything else. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't disappointed by this at all, I relished finding out more about Thrall and even about the Alliance side in Ironforge. As a Horde player myself, I have to admit, I don't kn ...more
I was not prepared for how much I enjoyed this, especially considering it was a gift and not something I would immediately pick up myself.

I was immediately drawn into the story because I was instantly familiar with all the characters and settings; Jaine Proudmoore in Theramore, Thrall in Orgrimmar, Anduin and Varian Wrynn in Stormwind ... these are all places and people that I have interacted with while playing World of Warcraft. Having forged my own journey in this incredibly complex world thro
Nov 16, 2010 Jeremy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Warcraft Universe
I found "The Shattering" to be pretty entertaining, but I definitely felt as if the book was not a standalone offering. Unless you are a fan, and more importantly pretty knowledgeable of the Warcraft universe, this book would be both muddled and confusing to you. Some issues kept it from garnering a higher rating in my appraisal... the primary issue was the feeling of moving from scene to scene in a disconnected fashion, a push and pull that detracted from the smoothness of the piece. But the vi ...more
Stephen Roode
I am a huge warcraft nerd and I adore the lore HOWEVER the tie in books are frankly terrible however Golden really has a passion for the property she writes in her Fae of the jedi series is fantastic. I do not believe in giving tie ins 5 stars because they are not original they have a backdrop already However while nowhere near as beautifully written as Arthas it is probably the best since Rise of the Horde.

Pros; well described, vivid and a real sense for the world

Negative; pages 100-200 are a
So I play World of Warcraft, and recently I've begun reading the novels because I'm interested in the background and lore of Azeroth. I have to say that this installment is quite a bit better than the previous one, Stormrage. As a hardcore WoW fan, I enjoyed learning more about King Magni and the dwarves, Jaina Proudmoore's role as diplomat, how Hellscream came to lead the Horde, and how Aggra came into the picture. That said, I'm not at all convinced this would be a compelling story for anyone ...more
Marion Freeman
As usual, Golden's books tend to be more to my liking than other authors that have contributed to this series. I like her descriptive passages not overly embellished or lacking definition, which happens to some authors, I also like that the characters really have a personality and story that you can relate to and feel the joy or sorrow of the said character, which makes it turn alive and imprint in your memory.
This book is indeed nicely developed and written and the only reason I can't give it a
As a former WOW (World of Warcraft) player, I was really looking forward to reading this book. I hadn't read any of the books written about this fantastical game world and I wasn't disappointed. Author Christie Golden captures the feel and spirit of the game while also telling a fast-moving and colorful story. I don't think a person has to be a fan of the game to enjoy the book, although there are several references that a non-gamer might not understand.

The characters, while not Golden's own cr
Like Christie Golden's Star Wars work, this was a strong representation of the world she's writing in, though perhaps not an amazing one.

This books gives a comprehensive image of the shifting and unstable political state of Azeroth prior to the Cataclysm, and in particular of the big changes in the Horde as Garrosh becomes the acting warchief and of the death of Cairne Bloodhoof and the Grimtotem rebellion.

It also follows Anduin Wrynn and tells of the changes in the Alliance, particularly of th
The author of this book, the 8th in a set assumes that a reader has a solid background with the lore and setting of Warcraft. I having played the first two games in the series many years prior, have only aged and rudimentary remembrances to assist me. I must say there were a number of places where it was simply not enough.
Shirking on descriptions of animals and races left me making guesses at what some of the oddly named beings must be. The story has come a long ways since the Tides of Darkness
Paul Hamilton
A capable, breezy read probably exclusively interesting to those who play or have an existing interest in the game World of Warcraft not because the book reads like a video game but because the sense of place and history implied is probably accessible only to those who have a familiarity with the setting.

Golden weaves a mostly political tale that primarily serves to chronicle the stories behind the changes to the leadership of several factions in the game once the latest expansion is released. T
The Shattering is a prequel novel for the new World of Warcraft expansion Cataclysm and explains many of the lore changes that happened in game. It follows many well-known lore characters from the games which most players will know and follows Thrall and Cairne Bloodhoof from the Horde side and Anduin Wrynn for the Alliance, though many more well-known characters from both factions appear along the story.

Christie dose a wonderful job in immersing you in to the characters of Azeroth and the pligh
The Shattering Review
By: Jared Epperson
The Shattering written by Christie Golden is possibly one of the most well written novels I have ever read. As Christie Golden is my second favorite author I will try to make this review as unbiased as possible. Ms. Golden has also written Beyond the Dark Portal and Rise of The Horde both of which I would suggest reading before The Shattering. As any fan of the World of Warcraft novels would know, all of these books lead into one another and are based on Bl
I didn't manage to explore the Cataclysm expansion arc of World of Warcraft when it was first released and after reading The Shattering, I highly regret that.

Like Stormrage (which was a bit more of a filler novel), The Shattering bridges the gap between The Wrath Of The Lich King and Cataclysm and details the events leading to the start of the breaking of Azeroth cinematic from the beginning of Cataclysm in game, which players of Warcraft would deem as pretty epic stuff.

The Shattering felt like
Overall the story does seem to drag on in multiple areas and some significant pages are dedicated to diversions that were not impactful to the prevailing storyline. Some scenes are very interesting and gripping, though, and for the most part it does a great job of filling in the holes between the already pre-established game lore of the Warcraft universe.

A big problem I had was what a lot of similar fantasy novels also seem to suffer from. I tend to prefer fantasy novels that go heavy on the mys
  • Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #12)
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #4)
  • World of Warcraft, Vol. 1
  • Warcraft: Death Knight (World of Warcraft)
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the youn
More about Christie Golden...

World of Warcraft (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • Rise of the Horde (World of WarCraft, #2)
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)
  • Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft, #5)
  • Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft #6)
  • Stormrage (World of Warcraft, #7)
  • Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of WarCraft, #9)
  • Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)
  • Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (World of Warcraft, #11)

“Destruction is easy. But creating something that lasts is a challenge.” 5 likes
“I am not going to waste time on revenge when my energy is better spent toward rebuilding.” 4 likes