Start by marking “The Good House” as Want to Read:
The Good House

The Good House

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  2,004 Ratings  ·  255 Reviews
The home that belonged to Angela Toussaint's late grandmother is so beloved that townspeople in Sacajawea, Washington, call it the Good House. But that all changes one summer when an unexpected tragedy takes place behind its closed doors...and the Toussaint's family history -- and future -- is dramatically transformed.

Angela has not returned to the Good House since her s

Published July 6th 2004 by Washington Square Press (first published August 25th 2003)

Kaora
Feb 14, 2015 Kaora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The blurb for this one sounded so interesting, and the line at the library for this book was so long that I thought it would definitely be the spooky ghost story I had been looking for.

Unfortunately it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

Angela Toussaint is returning to the house of a terrible tragedy at her fourth of July party many years ago where her son Corey dies. The house has been deemed The Good House, partially because of its original owners, the Goodes and the fact that it was the only
Jessica Woodbury
Why isn't this a huge bestseller? As good as any popular horror novel, The Good House has great characters, twisty plot, very high creepy factor, great mythology, and stellar writing. I've seen people recommend this book for fans of Stephen King, and I'd agree. I'd also say it's great for people who don't particularly care for King, but who dabble in horror.

This isn't light or breezy, it's very dark, but I absolutely loved it.
Tracy Darity
Feb 22, 2011 Tracy Darity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tananarive Due is one of my favorite writers. I fell in love with her “Living Blood” series over ten years ago, and on occasion (as with this title) have strayed to some of her other works. The Good House is classified as “horror, and a terrifying story of supernatural suspense.” There wasn’t much horror in this book, so let’s go with supernatural suspense.

In a league of her own, I don’t believe Ms. Due could write a book that I would not enjoy. She is simply gifted at what she does. Her knack
Joe
Jun 10, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd been craving some good horror recently and not that sci-fi, thriller wanna-be horror, but good traditional horror of the things that go bump in the night variety. I was perusing Audible, naturally looking for the longest books in stock to make my credits worth it, and I came across an author who was said to be the equal of Stephen King. Well, that clinched it for me.

If the summary had mentioned someone like Dean Koontz I would have kept perusing. If they had mentioned someone like Richard La
Mike (the Paladin)
Again a book that I rate on a subjective (I just didn't like it) scale. I mentioned in a couple of other reviews that I'm faced with the need to "thin out" my book shelves as I've moved to a much smaller place. (My wife passed away and I just didn't need the large place, the landlady wanted to sell it and so, so here i am.) I sold and traded a lot of books when I moved, but since I didn't have room for nearly all my book shelves here the ones I have are all double loaded or at least as tightly l ...more
Mocha Girl
Oct 22, 2009 Mocha Girl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tananarive Due gets better and better with each release! Her latest novel, The Good House, examines the consequences of misusing magic and the power of heritage and family.
The story is set in the remote town of Sacajawea, Washington where in the early 1900's, Marie Touissant relocates from Louisiana guided by her inner voice to a place that can be described in modern terms as the "epicenter of the sprit world". Marie is a trained, experienced, favored vodou priestess and often uses her powers to
Michael Jensen
I'd actually give this four and a half stars for falling into my least favorite horror trope: a character refuses to acknowledge something supernatural is happening even though THERE IS NO OTHER POSSIBLE EXPLANATION. But Due is such a strong writer and creates vivid characters with unique settings and wonderfully storytelling that I have to round up to five stars.
Essi
Mar 06, 2017 Essi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I loved this book! It wasn't a quick read,but there wasn't a boring moment. I don't know why this book isn't more popular,why I've never seen it on bookstagram. It deserves more hype! It really is a seriously good story.
I knew nothing about this before starting it,and it surprised me in such a good way. The story is so beautifully written and it really shows that the author did lots of research. There was so much history,culture and mythology. It was really interesting and I found myself readin
Cathy
Sep 08, 2009 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to expect from The Good House, but ended up really enjoying it. The mix of haunted-house themes, Vodou ritual and lore, and interesting characters kept it interesting, and for a longish novel it chugs right along at a frantic pace. Due can write, too. I read this back-to-back with Ghost Story, and she measures up nicely with Peter Straub.

In the beginning, especially, she assumes a bit too much of a chick-lit tone for my tastes, with the protagonist dishing with her actress pal
Alysia
Oct 04, 2013 Alysia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I purchased this book awhile ago solely based on the author who I love and the price. It was on sale for $9.00. But it sat on my bookshelf a long while. Maybe a year? Well that is not the important part of this review. I started reading this mega paperback book (496 pages) and I could not move very fast. *whisper* It was my fear of big books. (Something about them seem so daunting and I just stop.) So this time I purchased the audiobook from Audible.com to help me out.
Now on to the review....
I
Wendy
This is more suspense than horror, despite the predominant categorization, though personally speaking, I didn't get overly spine-tingly over the tense moments, despite my very visual mind letting me picture everything.

This is my first book by Due, and I am going to say that I love her writing style. I particularly love hearing a voice and dialects that aren't your typical American or British fare. Listening to the audiobook certainly helps and let me tell you, Robin Miles is amazing. Another add
Tim Childree
Dec 30, 2015 Tim Childree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible, incredible, incredible book. If you appreciate horror at all, you must read it. The "possessions" in the novel felt real in a way that no possession story you've ever seen or read can. Far too many authors/writers try to force possession to be scary with bizarre acrobatics and contortions or inhuman, supernatural feats, and they end up creating scenes that are, at second or third glance at least, more funny than fearful. By keeping the actions of those possessed thoroughly within the ...more
Rebecka
Mar 01, 2015 Rebecka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a page-turner. The audiobook narrator is one of the best I've heard so far, which certainly helps. My only complaint would be the ending.
Renee
Angela Toussaint's Fourth of July party began well enough, but no one would remember that because of the way it would end. That's what everyone would talk about later. The way it ended.

Why isn't Tananarive Due a superstar in the horror genre?! She should be way more popular than she is - she is a master of her craft. I absolutely loved Due's My Soul to Keep (book 1 of her African Immortal series), and The Good House is just as amazing. Her stories are sweeping and full of depth, with interesting
Lou
Jul 22, 2010 Lou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
She's a creative writer this story is quite long but holds up in interest. This is good tight suspense. You are taken from present to the past as a mother tries to find why her son died. Ancestral secrets are discovered and need to be understood. A story comprising voodoo magic and evil spirits. Something goes wrong as a little knowledge can be dangerous! a few excerpts from the story can sum up what's at work.

"The closer you come to harming the baka, the more it will try to interfere with your
Tanya Patrice
Dec 11, 2016 Tanya Patrice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK - this book officially had me a little scared. And not because it was gory and bloody, but because it had some seriously creepy vibes. The author managed to write this story beautifully, keeping me in just the right amount of suspense, not giving much away at first, and then a little at a time.
Soo
*Review Forthcoming

My intro to Due's writing and it's great! =)
Bryan Cebulski

Middle-class, ordinary-people horror fiction is an intriguing breed. You know those horror novels that seem more concerned with the day-to-day lives of their protagonists, sidestepping it with scares only on occasion? That is what I'm talking about here.

Molded into its shape by a million Stephen King novels, this type of horror seems almost more slice-of-life than actual fright fest. King's own It is oftentimes more a chronicle of small time living than i
Matt
Mar 09, 2017 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Good House is going to give Sacajawea a show tonight!"

Yes, it will.

It may take me a little while to process how this one ended, but briefly I'll just say that the writing is fantastic and the pacing is perfect. It's a really long book, but I didn't find it dragging hardly ever. If you like Stephen King, I think you'll like this. It has a lot of his hallmarks but twisted to be original, and it even directly namechecks two King books.

I'll definitely be reading more Tananarive Due.
Kimberly
Spooky, thrilling, and suspenseful! It's a great read for this time of year. The narrator of the audio book had me on edge! I definitely recommend it.
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
rating: 2.5 rounded up.

I really wanted to like this book more. I truly did. That's why I rounded up.

I loved her voice and many of the characters. The horror elements that are in the book are unnerving. It reminded me of Stephen King in some aspects: mainly, the ability to turn normal into horror.

The problems were several, though, and they kill the enjoyment of it.

1) The Length: This book is WAY too long for the actual plot that in it. You could cut this in half and be fine. Hell, you could cut t
Alyssa
Apr 02, 2012 Alyssa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment! I did not enjoy this book at all.

I picked up this book because I love a good thriller and there were many positive reviews on Goodreads but I did not get that passion for the book others did. It was slow, not scary (a lot of people wrote that it was a true horror story and were frightened), and was very anti-climactic.

The main character, Angela, was nothing special. I didn't find her particularly likable and got annoyed with her pretty early on. There wasn't any point dur
Miss Michael
Jun 28, 2009 Miss Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miss Michael by: Softweargirl
Lisa
Oct 19, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff, horror
THE GOOD HOUSE is an engrossing story of four generations of a family cursed by the matriarch's misuse of magic. Powers of good and evil battle within the land, the house, and the characters themselves. I particularly enjoyed the duality of the house.

The main timeline follows pragmatic lawyer/agent Angela, but we also dip into the pasts of Angela's grandmother (the matriarch) and Angela's son Corey, from their points of view. Unfortunately, this narrative choice drags out the plot; the reader ca
Johnsergeant
Narrated by Robin Miles

21 hrs and 37 mins

Audible Editor Reviews

A suspenseful must-listen, The Good House is about a haunted house originally owned by Angela Touissant's Haitian grandmother, Marie Touissaint. Angela tries to uncover the source of the evil plaguing the area and in the process discovers her own mystical powers. Read with great range by Robin Miles, it's a frightening experience that will keep you listening with the lights on.

Traveling back and forth in time, the listener is sucked
Taryn Pierson
Tananarive Due has been compared to Stephen King, and the comparison is more than justified. Like King, Due writes in a deceptively simple style that makes her characters instantly knowable and the reading feel effortless. Also like King, she's not afraid to write a long book—which is good in some ways, bad in others. She gives herself plenty of page space to develop each scene and thoroughly plumb the relationships between the characters, but at over 20 hours in the audio version, I found mysel ...more
Villager
Dec 26, 2011 Villager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm officially a fan of Tananarive Due. She is a remarkable author and I find myself enjoying her characters ... her plots ... her themes ... and especially the fact that she writes from the perspective of a Black woman. There are too few Black women who write in science fiction or suspense genre.

All that said, 'The Good House' is a great book. I found myself drawn into this suspense (or horror?) tale as it is told with flashbacks and from the perspective of a variety of characters. The concepts
Mary
Jun 21, 2015 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit rambling and slow to start off. It took a good 1/3 of the book before I became seriously interested. I understand the "need to know" to further the story but wish that flash backs had been used (within a chapter or a whole chapter) and the ending was just TOO much. Considering voodoo is known to be dark, typically the price for mistreating it is harsh in the extreme. I will say it is an ok book, but not great and not a book I would re-read
Jamie
Dec 22, 2013 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the mix of suspense and otherworldly explorations in the supernatural. Tananarive Due has a beautiful way of describing tenderness in a character, and a chilling way of describing a character's descent into madness. There's a really interesting treatment of flashbacks in this book, and just the right amount of contemporary references to not make it seem too dated when it's read years later. I was on the edge of my seat through the entire book.
~Charmer~the 1-click addict
This book scaried the shit out of me, but I'm a wuss. It was really good. I don't do demon possession, period. I don't even watch those kind of movies. If this was eva made into a movie, no doubt it would be good, but I'd have to miss it.
I liked the herione Angela, I just felt that she needed to talk more w/ her son, Cory. There are lots of characters in this book and they all bring something to this book.
Ms. Due, I am now a fan.
Supernatural Frea...: April End of the Month Discussion 1 3 May 03, 2015 11:23AM
  • Casanegra (Tennyson Hardwick, #1)
  • The Ancestors
  • Voodoo Season (A Marie Laveau Mystery)
  • Devil's Wake (Devil's Wake, #1)
  • What You Owe Me
  • Invisible Touch
  • Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America
  • The Supernaturals: A Ghost Story
  • Dark Thirst
  • Five Mile House
  • The Dwelling
  • Ghost, Interrupted
  • Dying in the Dark (Tamara Hayle, #7)
  • Acolytes
  • Ravenous
  • The New Moon's Arms
  • The Warmest December
  • Mind of My Mind (Patternmaster, #2)
Tananarive Due is a novelist and a creative writing teacher who has worked as a journalist. She won the American Book Award in 2002 for her novel The Living Blood.
More about Tananarive Due...