Parents Who Think Too Much: Why We Do It, How to Stop It

Parents Who Think Too Much: Why We Do It, How to Stop It

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  6 reviews
With the baby boom generation came the genre of parenting books that told parents how to teach their kids everything from toilet training to developing self-esteem. Generally the message has been: go easy on your child, but hard on yourself. It is starting to become apparent, especially in the best of families, that giving your kids lots of choices, validating their feelin...more
Published October 6th 2010 by Dell (first published June 8th 1998)

Ryan
I didn't read every chapter in this book, but I read the bulk of it. It is a bit dated from the 90s, but it is still good for keeping people like me in check. It argues that much of the expert opinion from parenting books in bunk and that parents need to worry less and trust their instincts more. I will still read parenting books and results from the latest research, but it is a helpful reminder to read them with a critical eye.
Amy
Throw away all of your other parenting books - this one is the one that comes the closest to telling us what we really need to hear: We are the best parent for our child and we don't have to follow experts to know what's good for our kids. Just follow our heads, hearts, and instincts.
Libby
I'm not abandoning this book because it's bad. I just think it's not going to tell me anything I don't already really know. I can sense where it's going and I'd rather spend my time reading something else.
Bonnie
This book is great--especially for people like me who do think too much. Hooray for a return to instinct and common sense.
Tracy
Jul 20, 2007 Tracy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: overwrought parents
Stop pouring over the age/development charts and the articles in "Parents" magazine and start enjoying your children!
Andrea Mason
My favorite "parenting" book, ever. Should be a pre-requisite to procreating!
Perry Jannette
Perry Jannette marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Cami
Cami marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Tom Oscanyan
Tom Oscanyan marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
J
J marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2013
Katherine Hawley
Katherine Hawley marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Reem
Reem marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2012
Asmaa
Asmaa marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2012
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2012
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2012
Raghava
Raghava marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2012
Lindsay Godsey
Lindsay Godsey marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2011
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2011
Bert Edens
Bert Edens marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2010
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2009