Start by marking “Clockwork” as Want to Read:
Clockwork

Clockwork

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  4,843 Ratings  ·  520 Reviews
Long ago in Germany, a storyteller spins a spine-tingling tale to cheer up Karl, the apprentice clock maker. But rather than helping matters, the story begins to come true.
Published October 1st 1998 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Clockwork, please sign up.

Fleniza
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Nikki
A few days ago, I suddenly had the urge to reread this. On discovering it was £3 on Amazon, I couldn't resist... I was a little less than pleased at not being able to get the edition of this I remember, but it's alright: only the cover is different. The illustrations, the layout, even the font is all the same, so that's alright.

The story has stayed in my mind for at least ten years, now: clockwork hearts and the relentless tick of machinery driving the story on. The prologue used to chill me --
Sarah Alirezaee
Oct 01, 2016 Sarah Alirezaee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ایده داستان رو واقعا دوست داشتم، کلیتش خیلی خوب بود و به نظرم جا داشت که پرداخته بشه
دو بخشش برام گنگ بود و گنگ موند
این که شاهزادهه از کجا سر و کلهش پیدا شد و این که چه طور آخرش پسر واقعی شد
ولی خیلی خوب بود در کل، باید بیشتر از پولمن بخونم ببینم میتونم کنار گیمن بذارمش یا نه.
Farah
pro-cras-ti-nate (verb)
delay or postpone action; put off doing something.
ORIGIN late 16th cent.:
from latin procrastinat- 'deffered until tomorrow,' from the verb procrastinare , from pro- 'forward' + crastinus 'belonging to tomorrow' .

Clockwork merupakan buku terbaik dari buku-buku Philip Pullman yang sudah gue baca. Lebih singkat daripada I was a rat! dan lebih simpel dari The fireworks maker's daughter.

Buku ini menyentil gue banget. Yeah, I am Karl. The lazy bastard. A frikkin procrast
Becky
I picked this book up on a whim at the thrift store today. I'd never read any of Pullman's 'other' stories, meaning the ones that are not part of the His Dark Materials trilogy, so I wanted to see what this would be like.

From the description, it sounded very different than what it actually was. It was OK, but I had expected better. HDM isn't a favorite of mine, but it would be a lie to say that it didn't affect me. The characters in that book, and their connections with each other, really left
Mia Prasetya
Pinjaman dari Hilda, saya suka buku ini. Semakin kagum dengan Philip Pullman, kali ini seakan saya diajak baca bareng dengan beliau berkat bantuan kolom berisi gambar dan ucapan yang ditujukan kepada kita. Top banget deh!

Pelajaran yang bisa kita ambil kali ini dari buku peraih silver medal :

- jangan jadi orang yang pesimis! nanti bakalan mati ketebas pedang!
- tidak ada seniman yang bertemperamen kasar, itu murni karena orangnya saja yang dodol.
- jangan takut gagal karena kalau kita takut gagal k
Ivonne Rovira
Mar 21, 2015 Ivonne Rovira rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fable lovers and diehard Pullman
Don’t go into the novella-length fable Clockwork expecting something of the inestimable caliber of the His Dark Materials trilogy. I enjoyed this tale of a story told by a tavern’s fireside that comes eerily to life. However, while worth reading, it’s not up to Bill Pullman’s usual high standard.
Steve Rogers
Jul 09, 2012 Steve Rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pgce
Clockwork, Or All Wound Up

‘Tick, tock, tick, tock! Some stories are like that. Once you have wound them up, nothing will stop them; they move on forward till they reach their destined end’….

This is unquestionably one of those books that you just can’t put down. With a cliff-hanger on every page, the suspense is tangible throughout and, at times, almost unbearable. The author alludes to a series of tragic events from the offset with his ominous announcement that, ‘no matter how much the character
David
Feb 17, 2015 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: clockwork princes, infernal devices, nefarious clockmakers
I downloaded this from Audible this morning and listened to it while shoveling snow, wishing I had a clockwork automaton to do that for me.

Philip Pullman's Clockwork is a fairy tale set in Germany in (presumably) the 19th century, in a world where clockwork devices can be made so intricately precise that they can, if constructed by a particularly ingenious clockmaker, pass for little boys. There are elements of Pinocchio, Faust, and any number of Hans Christian Andersen fables in this story that
ijul (yuliyono)
WOW de BEST dah... LOVE it SO MUCH

Serius, speechless aku mau ngomentarin nih buku, AMAZING. Dua plot yang seolah nggak nyambung kok bisa jadi satu? Ini buku fantasy, jadi lupakan beberapa kejanggalan. Ini buku anak-anak, jadi temani putra-putri-ponakan Anda ketika kebetulan membaca novel ini. Terangkan hal-hal yang perlu diterangkan, meskipun secara khusus Philip Pullman telah memberikan wejangan-wejangan-nya dalam kotak yang ada di beberapa halamannya. Beberapa terkesan menggurui, terkesan se
Mike Grosso
YA Horror that has some very cool, creepy pictures and some great imagery. As a result, there are probably some parents who thought it was a middle grade story and got this for their kids only to get upset by the horror aspect.

You could easily read it in one afternoon, as this is pretty much a short story with slick presentation. If I had paid for this I might be upset at its short short short legnth, but I got it from the library and enjoyed it during the afternoon it took to read.

As far as Pul
Harriet Jane Norfolk
I wasn't expecting this book to knit together as cleverly as it does. The idea of it being a horror book also put me off for a while as this is not a genre I typically enjoy. I decided to at least give the book a chance as I'm such a huge fan of Pullman's other works.
I have not been disappointed.

Update: 2017
I have now read the book as a shared read with my Year 5s who loved it. It has been the focus of most of our literacy work this half term. Most importantly, the class were hooked on the stor
Pranta Ghosh Dastider
Apr 05, 2017 Pranta Ghosh Dastider rated it it was amazing
This book is a work of pure brilliance! I have never read anything like this, and I doubt I will ever again. The concept felt genuine, and execution was perfect. Whole book captured a bizarre atmosphere. Artwork worked towards making it darker. Its as real as it is a fairy tale. If you ever wanted to start with Philip Pullman's works, this is a nice choice.
Fbooks75
Aug 30, 2009 Fbooks75 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Fbooks75 by: Mr.Thompson
Shelves: 7th-read
Clockwork is about two storys. The story that Fritz writes and the story that Karl is living. Fritz is a writer. The story that he writes is about a prince and his strugle with life. Karl's life is being pulled this way and that. One day he is depressed and the next he is almost evil. So a lot is going on. Then the stories are blending and that is when things start to get a little crazy. You have this and that happing and then one of the "fictional" chaters from Fritz's story appears in Karl's ...more
Arezu Wishka
تیک تاک، تیک تاک! بعضی داستانها این جوریاند. وقتی کوکشان کنی دیگر هیچچیز نمیتواند جلوشان را بگیرد…

هنرمند واقعی سرگرم کارش می شود و جنجال به پا نمی کند.

ما می توانیم آینده را در دست بگیریم همان طور که یک ساعت را کوک می کنیم. به خودت بگو: من در این رقابت برنده خواهم ش- اول خواهم شد- و مثل ساعت آیندهات را کوک کن. دنیا جز اطاعت چاره ای ندارد! آیا عقربه های آن ساعت قدیمی گوشه ی تالار می توانند از حرکت بایستند؟ آیا فنرهای داخل ساعت مچی ات می توانند خود را جمع و باز کنند؟ نه.

برام تداعی ترکیبی از ادوارد
Harun Harahap
pesannya adalah:

Jangan cuma duduk diam dan mengeluh bahwa pekerjaan tak kunjung selesai. Berusahalah agar otak dan tubuhmu bergerak dan bekerja. Berikan yang terbaik tanpa terlalu peduli dengan hasilnya. Karena hasil akan berbanding lurus dengan usahamu. Semoga Sukses!
Orbi Alter
Basiceve ilustracije su uobicajeno predivne, ali prica je mlaka. A to je ipak Pullman, od njega ocekujem puno...
Coralie
Oct 17, 2013 Coralie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Clockwork could be a Christmas read as well as an Halloween one. It's both a fairytale and ghost story, with references to classics like Faust or Pinocchio, and once again with a really decent female character (and another one who is the shallowest ever). It's also a story about storytelling, craft in general, and responsibility. It's quite a moral tale but not a moralistic one, and it's still a really fun, quick read.
Jami
I liked this short story. The characters were definitely unique and the "story within a story" concept worked in this case. I also liked how the two stories converged at the end.

The narration was very good. I recommend this in audio format; the narrator did a good job conveying the eerie appearance of the doctor in the middle of the story telling scene.
Dem
Feb 17, 2015 Dem rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abbas
Jan 14, 2016 Abbas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
به عنوان یک قصهٔ یک ساعته، خوب و راضیکننده بود. خیلی خوب و هیجانانگیز شروع شد ولی نیمهٔ دومش معمولی بود. ...more
Melki
May 03, 2017 Melki rated it really liked it
Pullman presents a rather dark fairy tale with some genuinely creepy moments, rewards for the virtuous, and punishment for the lazy.
Walter Slovo
Apr 05, 2017 Walter Slovo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Přečteno na jeden zátah. Bravurně napsáno, má šanci oslovit i dospělého. Škoda, že mě tak neohromila i dvě pokračování Zlatého kompasu.
Endah
Oct 11, 2008 Endah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ini adalah buku kedua karya Philip Pullman yang saya baca setelah Putri Si Pembuat Kembang Api. Ada yang terasa khas pada kedua dongeng Pullman ini: ia bercerita seperti tengah ngobrol dengan pembacanya. Contohnya begini : "Beberapa kisah berjalan seperti itu. Begitu kau memutarnya, takkan ada yang bisa menghentikan….." (hlm.7)

Kata "kau" yang dipakainya untuk "berdialog" dengan pembacanya, menimbulkan rasa keakraban yang hangat; seolah-olah ia melibatkan kita dalam dongeng-dongengnya. Saya suka
Naomi
Annotation: On a snowy night in little German town pub a story is told by the young novelist Fritz. Fritz story becomes a reality when one of the characters suddenly appears.

Review: On a snowy night in a little German town, the clock maker, Herr Ringelmann, and his young apprentice Karl enter the local pub. This particular town in Germany is famous for clockwork. Like most German towns, this town also has many traditions and stories. On the night before Karl's final clockwork is revealed to the
Ed Fincham
May 17, 2012 Ed Fincham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pullman’s tale of clockwork, inevitability, and suspense is as wound up and complex as the clockwork figures which drive the narrative and meta-narratives. For KS2 readers whom are able to access the story clockwork will be both a challenging read, and excellent introduction to more complex literature.

Clockwork revolves around two interconnected stories which eventually spiral together into one conclusion. Firstly there is the ‘present’ set principally in a late night tavern, the second narrati
Natalie
Dec 30, 2009 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales
Today I read about the Beverly Clock, Running since 1864, this clock has yet to be wound, possibly the longest running science experiment known . . .

[image error]

In Clockwork the characters vie against two disparate mechanical personalities. One is a mechanical being so life-like that he is mortal, more or less every five years when he needs a new heart. The other when activated is ruthless and doesn't wind down from his fatal task unless his "off song" is sung.

Add to this the image of a (view s
Kathleen Whelan
May 26, 2012 Kathleen Whelan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing book which included mystery and a Gothic element. The story is about a young apprentice clock maker who must reveal his masterpiece on the town clock tower the next day. However, as is normal, the town gather in the local pub to hear the exciting new tale written by a young novelist called Fritz.

His story recalls how Prince Otto and his young son, Florian went hunting in the woods and when they got back, Prince Otto was dead and a mechanical structure was placed in his arm t
Tuyet Truong
Oct 06, 2011 Tuyet Truong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the fascinating world of stories, anything is possible. If wonderful or magical things happen, we sometimes wish that we could be part of the story; if terrible or scary things happen, we sit in comfort knowing that we are safe in our own reality. Or are we? What if the characters from a terrifying story were to walk through our front door? What would we do then?

Fritz is a talented storyteller whose stories bring fear and excitement to all his listeners. On the eve of the clock-maker's appren
Kara
Apr 13, 2015 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review is based on the audio version, but I am confident I would feel the same if I had read this book as well. I have honestly NEVER been so enthralled with a book like I was with Clockwork. Literally from the very first sentence I was hooked, wide eyed, on pins and needles, and barely breathing so I could hear ever word. As another reviewer stated - Brothers Grimm would be proud. In fact, I feel this story should be added to the famous fairy tales. It was SO good that I will for sure be lis ...more
Tri
Oct 10, 2009 Tri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
direkomendasiin sm mba vera..
g nyangka isinya serem jg ya.. untuk kelompok novel anak kyknya agak 'terlalu seram'.
ceritanya unik, dimulai dari cerita mr. Fritz di sebuah cafe yang ternyata di tengah2 jd kenyataan. sang tokoh 'seram' datang ke tengah cafe nan dingin. orang2 ketakutan dn memilih aman dengan menembus gempuran hujan salju.

cerita yang belum selesai itu tak jelas hujungnya.. Fritz -yang terlalu takut- tidak mau bertanggung jawab, ia terbirit meninggalkan kota..

sang monster besi, Mr.I
  • How the Whale Became and Other Stories
  • More Naughty Little Sister Stories (Naughty Little Sister, #2)
  • Mi Amigo El Pintor
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Grinny
  • Arizona (Lucky Luke #3)
  • Dial-a-Ghost
  • A Kid for Two Farthings
  • Jennings  Darbishire
  • Fire, Bed, and Bone
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
  • The Ship That Flew
  • The Fairy Tales Of Madame d'Aulnoy
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green (Hazel Green, #2)
  • A Dog So Small
  • Madicken dan Lisabet
  • Halinka
  • Quirky Tails (Uncollected)
In 1946, acclaimed author Philip Pullman was born in Norwich, England, into a Protestant family. Although his beloved grandfather was an Anglican priest, Pullman became an atheist in his teenage years. He graduated from Exeter College in Oxford with a degree in English, and spent 23 years as a teacher while working on publishing 13 books and numerous short stories. Pullman has received many awards ...more
More about Philip Pullman...

“If you want something you can have it, but only if you want everything that goes with it, including all the hard work and the despair, and only if you're willing to risk failure. ” 186 likes
“You don't win races by wishing, you win them by running faster than everyone else does.” 106 likes