The Nicholas Feast (Gil Cunningham, #2)

The Nicholas Feast (Gil Cunningham #2)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  21 reviews
'The Nicholas Feast' is the second book in a series featuring Gil Cunningham, notary in training and amateur sleuth.
Published (first published June 16th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Nicholas Feast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nicholas Feast

Aoife
I could more or less copy my review for the first in the series here. The mystery plot was good (and actually less predictable than the first) and the author is really good at writing historical novels that make you feel that this book can only be set at this time in this place because plot and the 'background' are so intertwined with each other. The author is also really good at giving just enough information in dialogue and narration that also readers who are somewhat unfamiliar with 15th cent...more
Ronda
Once again, I found myself stumbling along with the dialect in the beginning, but as with the Harper's Quine, I reached the point where the context and my enjoyment of the storyline and characters let me find my way. (To this end, I still think the e-book version is one of the better choices for this story, simply for the online dictionary. Not all the words and phrases were available, but with wi-fi, you have the option of looking them up at whim.)

This story picks up not long after the fist b...more
Helynne
The most intriguing aspect of this novel is that it takes place in 1492 at a men's university in Glasgow, Scotland. Author Pat McIntosh has given us an interesting period piece and the fruits of his research about the early British Renaissance and its attitudes about higher education. For example, the young men at the college are always encouraged to speak in Latin, which is impressive, but seems totally impractical. And yes, there is a nod to Christopher Columbus by way of one character mentio...more
'chris d
This is the second in a series, but that is not why I didn't give it a great rating.

Set in 1400 or so Scotland, the story takes place at a university. This means there will be a lot of students / characters involved in and around the storyline.

For me personally, I found that there were too many characters. I became very confused in the first quarter of the book. Still, after keeping at the book for a couple of weeks and getting into the meat of the story, I liked it and finished it.

Some of the c...more
Penny
This is the second in the series following Gil Cunningham in Scotland in the Middle Ages. Once again we have an abundance of sights and sounds, trades and crimes all brilliantly described often with words that are unfamiliar.

This is developing into a series of substance. The characters come through and the back stories are interesting and continue to change and grow.
I had some initial confusion because this was the second in the series, not the first -- sorting out the explication from the actual action took time. It was also confusing because there were (I think) three languages being used (French, Scots and Latin) yet often they were "translated" into English for the poor reader, and "olde" English at that.

The mystery itself was so-so. I guessed whodunit pretty early because the clues were pretty obvious. If you like Leonard D. Tourney's books, you'll li...more
Les Wilson
Second time of reading, and enjoyed it just as much this time round.
Cheryl
Set in Glasgow in the last 1400s Gil Cunningham is again called upon to solve a murder case. While attending a processing at the University of Glasgow celebrating the Feast of Nicholas Gil is reunited with friends and teachers from his early scholastic training. He notices a young man named William who superior attitude engendered irritation and anger. William was later found strangled. Gil was asked by the university’s master. I must be getting better at reading Scottish dialect for this instal...more
Kate
Once again, a fabulous mystery with lots of history and psychology smashed in. It is impossible not to like Gil Cunningham and his betrothed, Alys, her father, and everyone else they come in contact with. This mystery takes place only days after the first in the series, and all the characters are well-drawn (better than in the first book), the mystery is excellent with a few twists, and the history is carefully inserted without being lecture-y. Awesome.
Lessie
Jul 09, 2014 Lessie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mystery or good historical fiction
I really really enjoyed this book -- and even though it's realistically set in medieval times, which would make me think it's a snooze, it really is a page turner. Next time I hope to read one of McIntosh's books with a notebook and a dictionary. So many references I didn't "get" and meant to Google. I also want to go back and read the fist in this series. Love the reocurring characters.
Mary
this is another in the Gil Cunningham series... they are interesting mysteries but not fabulous... my biggest complaint is still the author's use of medieval terminology and speech.... couldn't a glossary or something be added?? it was annoying.. altho...it's not stopping me from reading the book...
Jo
The second installment of the Gil Cunningham series. This one revolves around the death of a university student and seems to be part of a conspiracy. Enjoyable romp through medieval Glasgow and nice to see some returning characters such as the harper and his sister.
Maryann
I'm really enjoying these books. The main characters stay the same, but unlike a lot of mysteries, the stories are always different -- it doesn't feel like the author is using a formula for the stories. Well, I'm only on the 3rd one now, but so far, really great.
Donald
I enjoyed this more than the first in the series, maybe I was just used to the language a bit more.
Still no idea what 'Ru-glen RedFriars' may be tho? Lice? Crabs? Bedbugs?
Mairi
This was a very confusing read. There were so many characters that I constantly got them mixed up and forgot who some of them were. Not as good as the first book.
Debbi
I enjoy reading this 2nd in the series. It's not a stand-alone mystery because some of the information and crime from the first book is woven into this book.
Jenny
a murder mystery set in medieval scotland only 2 weeks after the last book - an easy read - reminds me of the 'cat who...' books.
Rachel
Who knew Glasgow had a university in 1492? A good read though, lots of historical detail and murders to solve.
Michele Weiner
Another chapter of the Scotish lawyer and his precocious wife solving mysteries at the local college.
The Nicholas Feast: A Gil Cunningham Murder Mystery (Gil Cunningham Murder Mysteries) by Pat McIntosh (2005)
Katie
Even more confusing than The Harper's Quine. Methinks I'm done with this series.
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Gwen McGinty
Gwen McGinty marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
McIntosh was born and raised in Lanarkshire, Scotland. Having begun to write at age seven, she credits the author who inspired her to write as "probably Angus MacVicar!" She lived and worked in Glasgow for many years before moving to the west coast of Scotland. Prior to making her mark as an author, she worked as "a librarian, a receptionist for an alternative therapy centre, taught geology and pa...more
More about Pat McIntosh...
The Harper's Quine (Gilbert Cunningham, #1) The Merchant's Mark (Gilbert Cunningham, #3) St Mungo's Robin (Gil Cunningham, #4) The Rough Collier (Gilbert Cunningham, #5) The Stolen Voice (Gilbert Cunningham, #6)