Start by marking “The Nicholas Feast (Gil Cunningham, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Nicholas Feast (Gil Cunningham, #2)

The Nicholas Feast (Gil Cunningham #2)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  241 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
'The Nicholas Feast' is the second book in a series featuring Gil Cunningham, notary in training and amateur sleuth.
Published (first published June 16th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Nicholas Feast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nicholas Feast

Aoife
I could more or less copy my review for the first in the series here. The mystery plot was good (and actually less predictable than the first) and the author is really good at writing historical novels that make you feel that this book can only be set at this time in this place because plot and the 'background' are so intertwined with each other. The author is also really good at giving just enough information in dialogue and narration that also readers who are somewhat unfamiliar with 15th cent ...more
Marlowe
Jul 17, 2015 Marlowe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Soon after the events in Harper’s Quine, Gil Cunningham participates in his old university’s Nicholas Feast. But during the day, a young student is found dead. Because of his success in catching the killer in Harper’s Quine, Gil is asked to solve this murder as well. Joined by his love, Alys, and her father, he immerses himself in politics and espionage to find justice for a student no one seems to have liked.

I bought this book, along with the next two in the series, as soon as I had finished th
Diana Sandberg
This was ok, but didn't engage me like the first book did. It seemed perhaps somewhat hastily put together; there were references that were not clear, characters not fully introduced - the harper and his sister from the last book were there but if I hadn't read the first book I wouldn't really know who they were or why they were there. There didn't seem any overwhelming reason for them to be there, they just sort of wandered through. I don't want to give the impression it was awful, I still enjo ...more
Kathy
Aug 24, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying this series as a change of pace. The Scots, the thoughtful approach by a young man who does not have inflated ego and is genuinely looking forward to marriage and being able to slip out of the proscribed plan by his mother for serving the church with no alternative - all good. I have the next book in series at my other home, so will have to fill the time with other reading until I get back there. Doggone it. My stupid back limits me to how many books I can carry in long walk ...more
Ronda
Once again, I found myself stumbling along with the dialect in the beginning, but as with the Harper's Quine, I reached the point where the context and my enjoyment of the storyline and characters let me find my way. (To this end, I still think the e-book version is one of the better choices for this story, simply for the online dictionary. Not all the words and phrases were available, but with wi-fi, you have the option of looking them up at whim.)

This story picks up not long after the fist b
Helynne
Oct 09, 2010 Helynne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The most intriguing aspect of this novel is that it takes place in 1492 at a men's university in Glasgow, Scotland. Author Pat McIntosh has given us an interesting period piece and the fruits of his research about the early British Renaissance and its attitudes about higher education. For example, the young men at the college are always encouraged to speak in Latin, which is impressive, but seems totally impractical. And yes, there is a nod to Christopher Columbus by way of one character mentio ...more
'chris d
This is the second in a series, but that is not why I didn't give it a great rating.

Set in 1400 or so Scotland, the story takes place at a university. This means there will be a lot of students / characters involved in and around the storyline.

For me personally, I found that there were too many characters. I became very confused in the first quarter of the book. Still, after keeping at the book for a couple of weeks and getting into the meat of the story, I liked it and finished it.

Some of the c
Penny
Aug 21, 2014 Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in the series following Gil Cunningham in Scotland in the Middle Ages. Once again we have an abundance of sights and sounds, trades and crimes all brilliantly described often with words that are unfamiliar.

This is developing into a series of substance. The characters come through and the back stories are interesting and continue to change and grow.
Anna Belsham
Jun 29, 2015 Anna Belsham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2nd in the Gil Cunningham series in which a student at his alma mater is found murdered during the Nicholas Feast of the title. Gil has to find the murderer in a short period of time as the boy was a relative of one of his old enemies, and also to convince his mother to approve of his planned marriage.
I had some initial confusion because this was the second in the series, not the first -- sorting out the explication from the actual action took time. It was also confusing because there were (I think) three languages being used (French, Scots and Latin) yet often they were "translated" into English for the poor reader, and "olde" English at that.

The mystery itself was so-so. I guessed whodunit pretty early because the clues were pretty obvious. If you like Leonard D. Tourney's books, you'll li
Les Wilson
Jun 18, 2014 Les Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second time of reading, and enjoyed it just as much this time round.
Cheryl
Jul 23, 2011 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Glasgow in the last 1400s Gil Cunningham is again called upon to solve a murder case. While attending a processing at the University of Glasgow celebrating the Feast of Nicholas Gil is reunited with friends and teachers from his early scholastic training. He notices a young man named William who superior attitude engendered irritation and anger. William was later found strangled. Gil was asked by the university’s master. I must be getting better at reading Scottish dialect for this instal ...more
Kate
Jan 17, 2010 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, history
Once again, a fabulous mystery with lots of history and psychology smashed in. It is impossible not to like Gil Cunningham and his betrothed, Alys, her father, and everyone else they come in contact with. This mystery takes place only days after the first in the series, and all the characters are well-drawn (better than in the first book), the mystery is excellent with a few twists, and the history is carefully inserted without being lecture-y. Awesome.
Lessie
Jul 09, 2014 Lessie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mystery or good historical fiction
I really really enjoyed this book -- and even though it's realistically set in medieval times, which would make me think it's a snooze, it really is a page turner. Next time I hope to read one of McIntosh's books with a notebook and a dictionary. So many references I didn't "get" and meant to Google. I also want to go back and read the fist in this series. Love the reocurring characters.
Lexie Conyngham
Dec 27, 2015 Lexie Conyngham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another (I think the second but I'm reading them out of order) excellent mediaeval mystery set in Glasgow with Gil Cunningham (no relation) and his at this stage fiancee Alys, a strong character. The books are amusing and clever, and wear their intelligence lightly.
Mary
Nov 13, 2012 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is another in the Gil Cunningham series... they are interesting mysteries but not fabulous... my biggest complaint is still the author's use of medieval terminology and speech.... couldn't a glossary or something be added?? it was annoying.. altho...it's not stopping me from reading the book...
Jo
The second installment of the Gil Cunningham series. This one revolves around the death of a university student and seems to be part of a conspiracy. Enjoyable romp through medieval Glasgow and nice to see some returning characters such as the harper and his sister.
Maryann
Jul 14, 2012 Maryann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying these books. The main characters stay the same, but unlike a lot of mysteries, the stories are always different -- it doesn't feel like the author is using a formula for the stories. Well, I'm only on the 3rd one now, but so far, really great.
Donald
I enjoyed this more than the first in the series, maybe I was just used to the language a bit more.
Still no idea what 'Ru-glen RedFriars' may be tho? Lice? Crabs? Bedbugs?
Mairi
Aug 29, 2011 Mairi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very confusing read. There were so many characters that I constantly got them mixed up and forgot who some of them were. Not as good as the first book.
Debbi
I enjoy reading this 2nd in the series. It's not a stand-alone mystery because some of the information and crime from the first book is woven into this book.
Jenny
Feb 11, 2010 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a murder mystery set in medieval scotland only 2 weeks after the last book - an easy read - reminds me of the 'cat who...' books.
Rachel
Jun 16, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who knew Glasgow had a university in 1492? A good read though, lots of historical detail and murders to solve.
Michele Weiner
Another chapter of the Scotish lawyer and his precocious wife solving mysteries at the local college.
Apr 17, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Nicholas Feast: A Gil Cunningham Murder Mystery (Gil Cunningham Murder Mysteries) by Pat McIntosh (2005)
Julie
An abundance of characters made the mystery confusing, but the characters are really well done.
Katie
Sep 15, 2010 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Even more confusing than The Harper's Quine. Methinks I'm done with this series.
Margaret Roy
Margaret Roy marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Jennifer Shaus
Jennifer Shaus rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • Master of Souls (Sister Fidelma, #16)
  • A Play of Knaves (Joliffe the Player, #3)
  • The Wicked Winter (Roger the chapman, #6)
  • Scandal Takes a Holiday (Marcus Didius Falco, #16)
  • A Gentleman of Fortune (A Dido Kent Mystery #2)
  • The Raven in the Foregate (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #12)
  • Murder in the Holy City (Sir Geoffrey Mappestone, #1)
McIntosh was born and raised in Lanarkshire, Scotland. Having begun to write at age seven, she credits the author who inspired her to write as "probably Angus MacVicar!" She lived and worked in Glasgow for many years before moving to the west coast of Scotland. Prior to making her mark as an author, she worked as "a librarian, a receptionist for an alternative therapy centre, taught geology and pa ...more
More about Pat McIntosh...

Gil Cunningham (10 books)
  • The Harper's Quine (Gilbert Cunningham, #1)
  • The Merchant's Mark (Gilbert Cunningham, #3)
  • St Mungo's Robin (Gil Cunningham, #4)
  • The Rough Collier (Gilbert Cunningham, #5)
  • The Stolen Voice (Gilbert Cunningham, #6)
  • A Pig of Cold Poison (Gil Cunningham, #7)
  • The Counterfeit Madam (Gil Cunningham, #8)
  • The Fourth Crow (Gil Cunningham, #9)
  • The King's Corrodian (Gil Cunningham, #10)