Start by marking “St Mungo's Robin (Gil Cunningham, #4)” as Want to Read:
St Mungo's Robin (Gil Cunningham, #4)

St Mungo's Robin (Gil Cunningham #4)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The warden of St Serf's has been found dead in the almshouse garden. He appears to have been killed on the previous night but there are those who are convinced he was present at that morning's service, The elderly residents, the almshouse nurse and Humphrey, her deranged favourite, have all been set against one another by the dead man's scheming - and then there is the dis ...more
Unknown Binding
Published May 31st 2007 by Not Avail (first published February 12th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about St Mungo's Robin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about St Mungo's Robin

Graham
ST MUNGO'S ROBIN is the fourth in a series of medieval murder mysteries featuring a Glaswegian lawyer, Gil Cunningham. This was the first I'd read and I picked up the background with ease, so I don't think they need to be read in order to understand them.

Unfortunately I didn't care for this book at all. We start off with twenty pages or so of background exposition - character setting, maybe - and then an intriguing murder takes place. Our protagonist investigates minor details and interrogates s
Mary
I love these mysteries set in 15th century Glasgow! I get lost at times in the Scots words interspersed in the dialogue, but the daily life I see in the stories fascinate me. This one ends with a rousing Scottish "trial." The interesting thing that McIntosh pulls off is allowing superstition to play a part in the story without having the whole thing collapse into hocus pocus nonsense. Every time I finish a Gil Cunningham novel I miss it for days.
Spuddie
Fourth entry in the Gil Cunningham historical mystery series set in 1490's Glasgow, Scotland. Gil is a lawyer, now in the employ of the church and thus he is who is the Questore when the Deacon at St. Mungo's is found murdered. There are several suspects, as no one liked him much, and an inspection of the accounts reveals that he was skimming a lot of money and properties. He had only just announced his intention to marry--and not to marry his mistress, who essentially shared his home--which ups ...more
Drayton Bird
This is another good Scottish writer of historical mysteries.

I enjoyed it greatly partly because the writer makes no concessions to us English. It's all written in pretty broad Scots, and I really enjoyed working out what some of the words meant.

The period is medieval, the setting Glasgow - a place I've only visited once. As with most books of this type, the characters are pasteboard, but give me enough period colour, a good plot and a place I don't know and I'm happy.

I'll tell you one thing tho
Kate
Back to the historically fascinating Gil Cunningham series of the first two books! Gil, nearly married to his Alys, has to solve the murder of a very unpleasant Deacon, while dealing with all the relatives who've come to town for the wedding.

McIntosh seems to have hit her stride here - the characters and their relationships have depth, and the historical facts are really interesting - here primarily focused on the legal and social place of mistresses vs. wives. Gil's family continues to expand
Cera
McIntosh writes good historical mysteries in which the historical setting (medieval Scottish university & surroundings) feels quite real, showing the ugly pieces without dwelling on them. Gil seemed a little bit off his game in this one, not putting together a few pieces that were obvious to me (and I don't usually solve mysteries ahead of the detectives!), but he was extremely stressed by his personal life, so I am willing to be forgiving.
Jo
The Deacon of the almshouses is found dead inside a locked enclosure and Gil must find out who killed him as well as prepare for his wedding to Alys. The usual good mystery and amusing to see Alys turn into the 15th century equivalent of a Bridezilla.
Maureen E
Fourth Gil Cunningham mystery. As Gil's wedding day approaches, he finds himself beset by all sorts of difficulties, not the least of which is his bride's somewhat mysterious behavior. In the end, it all winds up satisfactorily. (Aug. 2010)
Mairi
Despite the glorious Glaswegian setting and history prevalent in this book, I found it hard to get into. Some of the characters were hardly sympathetic and this was not one of the better stories in the series.
Brenda
I felt some of the old Scots quotations Gil voices to his nearest and dearest are starting to become a detriment to character development. It was also quite easy to solve this riddle from fairly early in the novel.
Donald
Really enjoying these now that after the first volume the Gaelic, the Latin and Medieval Scots are kept to a bare minimum.
Sue
Lots of twists and turns make this a fun read, but the language is a bit difficult to "ken" understand.
Debbi
A nice little mystery when you don't want to think too hard and need a little distraction.
St Mungo's Robin: A Gil Cunningham Murder Mystery by Pat McIntosh (2008)
Deb
I liked this one quite a lot, the subplot about the sister was good...
Patty
A good "period piece" mystery set in 15th century Glasgow,
Kerryn Whiteside
Highly entertaining!
Roman_t
Roman_t is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2014
CallMeMomes
CallMeMomes is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2014
Kristen Ray
Kristen Ray marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Elle
Elle added it
Nov 19, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Unhallowed Ground (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #4)
  • A Play of Lords (Joliffe the Player, #4)
  • An Order for Death (Matthew Bartholomew, #7)
  • Murder in the Holy City (Sir Geoffrey Mappestone, #1)
  • Hue and Cry (Hew Cullan Mystery, #1)
  • Shadows of Glory (Abel Jones, #2)
  • Crowner Royal (Crowner John Mystery, #13)
  • A Spark of Death
  • The Sword of Shame (The Medieval Murderers, #2)
  • Master of Souls (Sister Fidelma, #16)
  • Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1)
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
  • My Lady Judge (Burren Mysteries, #1)
McIntosh was born and raised in Lanarkshire, Scotland. Having begun to write at age seven, she credits the author who inspired her to write as "probably Angus MacVicar!" She lived and worked in Glasgow for many years before moving to the west coast of Scotland. Prior to making her mark as an author, she worked as "a librarian, a receptionist for an alternative therapy centre, taught geology and pa ...more
More about Pat McIntosh...
The Harper's Quine (Gilbert Cunningham, #1) The Nicholas Feast (Gilbert Cunningham, #2) The Merchant's Mark (Gilbert Cunningham, #3) The Rough Collier (Gilbert Cunningham, #5) The Stolen Voice (Gilbert Cunningham, #6)