Start by marking “Everyman” as Want to Read:
Everyman
Preview

Everyman

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  740 ratings  ·  41 reviews
This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into pri ...more
Published September 4th 2010 by Nabu Press (first published 1485)

To ask other readers questions about Everyman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyman

Anthony Vacca
I read this on a two-fold whim: one, I've had a growing interest of late digging into the pro- and anti-religious texts of yester-centuries, and, two, I decided to give my rusty skills at reading Middle English a tuning. Everyman is the medieval morality play that gave us the (surprise!) Everyman archetype that can be readily found in many books, movies, and TV shows. The play's set-up is fairly simple: God is pissed that everyone of us is sorry sack of sinning shit, so he tells Death to go down ...more
Momo
Readers will follow the final day of Everyman after he is summoned by Death to leave the world of the living and face his ultimate judgment. Desperate not to meet this challenge alone, he seeks the companionship of all those he’s held dear during life and is shocked to see which will betray him in his time of greatest need and which will stand by his side.

This play refreshes the mind and brings attention to the things that should matter most in your life, the things that will matter forever ins
Cassandra Lê
A morality play at best, but too didactic for my own taste. The words are, as always, very interesting considered they were written in the medieval period.
Sioned Raybould
Was assigned to read this for uni in relation to Shakespeare. I have to admit that I was sceptical at first (really didn't have a clue what it was about.) But after an hour of intense reading and analysing I have found myself pleasantly surprised. Everyman is a play which tests the morals of an individual who has been faced with death. Said individual looks to his 'friends' (fellowship, kindred, cousin, knowledge, beauty, strength, good deeds, discretion and five-wits) to walk with him on his jo ...more
Realini
Everyman by Anonymous-
On Religion
This is a work with a strong religious message. In fact, the adaptation for Radio that I have listened to was performed in a Cathedral and introduced by a bishop.
Death comes to Earth and Everyman has to answer to it.
Although I’d rather look at death from a Monty Python hilarious perspective, it is difficult to laugh at it when you pass middle age.
In the Monty Python episode concerning death, she/ít/he comes knocking at the door of a party, uninvited. The guests
SmarterLilac
In the end, the only thing that matters is Good Deeds. I found this work ambiguous and annoying when I first read it, but as I grow older, I've noticed that this sentiment is possibly the most enduring idea ever.
Bet Roberts
I hadn't read this since early on in my studenthood, and so I thought I'd read it again now that I'm a medieval dork, and I'm glad I did.

The story is simple, but the beauty of the play lies in its simplicity, and the message is effective: at the end of it all, we only have our good works to stand for us. There’s something about the simplicity of it that’s absolutely moving. I particularly love the line about the priest blessing the sacrament and how he “handeleth his Maker bytwene his handes”.

U
Teen Mcveigh
A morality play from the Middle Ages about and Everyman that could be any person, male or female. Death comes and gives the hour of Everyman's demise. In fear, Everyman turns to all his "friends" asking them to go with him. As all his friends fall by the way side, not willing or able to accompany him into death, Everyman learns the lesson of you can't take it with you when you die.

A religious and spiritual lesson, yet not adhering to Christian theology in that works cannot in fact get you into h
Lynn
I especially liked the portion where the Everyman offered Death money to not take him. Pretty funny for a 15th century play.
Leggings Are Never Pants
I had to read this book for school, but I actually loved it! Written in 1495, this is an allegory similar to Paul Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress". It is short enough to easily read in a single setting, but the depth of its meaning has kept me pondering long after I finished. In this story, Everyman is called to give an account of his life to God. Characters representing personified qualities and certain members of society interact with Everyman, either helping or hindering him on his journey. In t ...more
Annemarie Donahue
Medieval morality play from the 8th Century that tells the life of Everyman who has turned from God (much like all of humanity according to the prologue) and is living a life of sin with nothing but worldly pleasure on his mind. God sends Death to tell Everyman he must pilgrimage to save his soul with no hope of return to his life. Charged with this task Everyman tries to find friends to accompany him but one by one they all turn and leave him. The play is interesting but it's also fun to think ...more
Olivia
Jan 21, 2014 Olivia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Olivia by: Mr. Calbert; read for my twelfth grade English Literature class
Everyman, a medieval morality play, discusses “the hour of death.” The play begins with Everyman meeting Death, who tells Everyman that he is going to die and must give an account of his life to God. The rest of the play discusses Everyman’s preparations to stand before God. The reader can certainly take interest in this literary work because each of us will die and must decide how he will prepare for death. The moral of the play Everyman is that man’s life is short and that he must live for ete ...more
Becky
I read this as part of my literature course at university, and have to say that I loved it. I'll admit I was sceptical at first, but having read it I found myself pleasantly surprised.

This medieval morality play follows the final day of Everyman. In a desperate appeal not to face judgement alone, he looks to his "friends" (amongst them beauty, kin, five-wits as well as others) to accompany him. In the end, he departs only with his good deeds.

Though the play itself was a short and simple read, I
Tiffany
I actually read an online version of this text provided by my teacher as part of my Introduction to Drama course, so this is not the same version I'm writing about, but is the same work. Personally, I found this play to be quite a bit more simple and straightforward than most, while having language that could be very difficult to fully follow at times. It is a great allegorical work, and a good example of a morality play, but I don't think I'll ever count it among my favorite dramatic works. Sti ...more
Soplada
A successful portray of the day judgement with some defects like the incorporation of God in the play as a major character and some old and decayed thoughts.
I read it for college and give it four stars this means I can have a good mark , right ?
I'll keep my fingers crossed :D
Alice Watkins
This 15th century Christian morality play is pretty much the specimen example of what you'd expect in this category. A few very intriguingly put sentences, and leaves something to wonder upon, but nothing that struck a huge chord with me, personally.
Nicole Rosito
This was good. The verse is lyrical and quite beautiful at times, and though the moral of the story is rather in your face, it still rings rather true. I enjoyed this thoroughly.
Dray
Somehow I made it to my last year of grad school before reading this one, and I was pleasantly surprised. Of course it's didactic, but I don't hate the sentiment.
Emma Claire
I mean, it's a morality play so it does beat you over the head with the morals but I did like the personification of greed, friendship, etc.
Sarah Key
I read Everyman for one of my British literature classes and tried to write about the play in the scope of iteration and recursive rhetoric. I can't say that I made very much sense overall, but it was worth a shot.
Crypt
A morality play in possibly its purest form, Everyman takes an idea that is fairly common nowadays but might have been thought-provoking at the time it was published.
Jon
Yasser Warak
It has religious view and I don't like it so much :(
Sheebe
Gena Lott
Still as impactful as it was when it was new!
Katie
Could have been worse; still not my cup of tea.
Ned Hayes
I acted in this medieval drama in university.

A good introduction to classic medieval drama, and an interesting way of beginning my journey into the medieval "mystery" texts that were performed as street theater during the high holy days in England.
Ksenija Popović
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this one. It could be adapted into a really fun modern text.
Lynn Beyrouthy
Meh. It felt like catechism class.
Ditta
Simple, easy-read, with a great message.
  • The Way of the World
  • "Master Harold"...and the boys
  • The Man of Mode
  • The Beggar's Opera
  • The Hairy Ape
  • Exile: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #2)
  • A Lie of the Mind
  • Roman Britain & Early England 55 BC-AD 871 (Norton Library History of England)
  • Getting Out
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights Holy Bible: New International Version The Epic of Gilgamesh The Bhagavad Gita

“When something happens to you, good or bad, consider what it means. There is a purpose to life's events, to teach you how to laugh more or not to cry too hard.

You can't make someone love you, all you can do is be someone who can be loved, the rest is up to the person to realize your worth.”
11 likes