Start by marking “The Salbine Sisters” as Want to Read:
The Salbine Sisters

The Salbine Sisters

Published October 2010 by Norn Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Salbine Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Salbine Sisters

The Dark Wife by Sarah DiemerWitch Wolf by Winter PenningtonAmbereye by Gill McKnightThe Midnight Hunt by L.L. RaandSanta Olivia by Jacqueline Carey
F/F Paranormal and Urban Fantasy
84th out of 280 books — 377 voters
The Warrior's Path by Catherine M. WilsonA Journey of the Heart by Catherine M. WilsonA Hero's Tale by Catherine M. WilsonThe Dark Wife by Sarah DiemerSword of the Guardian by Merry Shannon
Lesbian Fantasy
105th out of 213 books — 160 voters

More lists with this book...

Jodie Atkinson
What a wonderful book. I enjoyed it so much, that as soon as I finished reading it, I immediately started to read it again. Sarah has built a new and interesting world where young girls can find themselves called to serve as Sisters of Salbine. When they enter the order, they learn how to draw on and use the elements. The book follows Maddy, who has left her family and all she knew to become a Sister of Salbine, who is sure in the knowledge that she's where she's meant to be. Her relationship ...more
Cab
Mar 08, 2012 Cab rated it really liked it
I think if the bookgroup had not recommended this book it would never have made it to my "to read list" and then I would have missed out on a well written and interesting story.

I have no idea what century this story was based in but it has horses, swords, magic, and women who are intelligent, strong and capable: the last bit being the most important for me personally.

Here’s the thing with this book, I don’t think you have to be someone who reads “fantasy” type books to enjoy this one. The magic
Ulla
Jul 27, 2011 Ulla rated it really liked it
This is one of the slightly fantastic novels that made me read it in only two days, simply couldn't put it down!! Easy to read and thoroughly enjoyable! In a way it's an "old fashioned" adventure story which I love!
Ian Wood
This is the complete review as it appears on my blog. Any links which may be on the blog are not reproduced here.

NOTE: SPOILERS!

I loved this story from the off, and I recommend it.

Is Sarah Ettritch a cool name or what? She has some interesting titles showing on her web site, but this is the first of hers I've read. I may try to track down some others if I like this one. I don't know what nationality Ettritch is, but she writes like someone who grew up in Australia or perhaps England, and I love
Bending The Bookshelf
Dec 21, 2010 Bending The Bookshelf rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbian
Sarah Ettritch's new novel is one of those stories that sneaks up on you, snuggles in close, and seduces you into reading just a few more pages before you put it down. The words flow so easily and so sweetly on the page that you're halfway through it before you realise the house is quiet, the news is muted on TV, and everybody else has long since gone to bed.

This is lesbian romance at its finest, with characters who are so wonderfully alive that you can't help but fall in love with them from the
Courtney
Dec 22, 2013 Courtney rated it liked it
Also posted on my YA Review Blog here: http://ireviewyalit.blogspot.ca/2013/...

Introduction

Maddie entered into the monastery of Salbine Sisters, a religious order of offensive mages that draw on the elements to defend their country. She begins her lessons with a mistress that she has taken as her lover, and discovers that she cannot draw on the first element, fire. With the news that there is something different about her, she travels to another monastery to find her answers.

Story

It takes too
Courtney
(This will also appear at http://ireviewyalit.blogspot.ca/2013/... in November)

*ebook from NetGalley-much thanks!

Introduction
Wai
Jun 23, 2011 Wai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Salbine Sisters is a strong character story about love and overcoming adversity. The Salbine Sisters is a religious order of magi who reside together in a monestary. We are introduced to Maddy, an initiate in the order who is having difficulty calling the elements and as such has been receiving tutelage from one of the most powerful mages in the order, Lillian. By the time the story starts, the two have also formed a relationship beyond that of Mistress and student.

The problems start, not be
Mary Grace
Sep 16, 2011 Mary Grace rated it really liked it
Sarah Ettrich gives us a wonderful tale of Maddy who becomes a Salbine Sister after she was called in the Monastery to serve and learn the Salbine ways. The Salbine Sisters are a group of female that are given the gift to call the elements to help and protect people around them. As Maddy undergoes her training, she becomes involve with her tutor Lillian who is the best mage in the monastery. As their Maddy's training and love with Lillian progress, she discovers that she cannot draw the elements ...more
Heather A

The Salbine Sisters by Sarah Ettritch My rating: 3 of 5 stars 3.5 stars. A very enjoyable, well written story. I enjoyed it immensely. I found the setting quite fascinating, a middle age monastery following an Order of Sisters who worship the goddess Salbine, who gives them the ability to draw on the elements, giving them great power. The story starts off with the budding romance between the main character, initiate sister Maddy and her teacher, much older Mistress Lillian, a very powerful mage
Grace Krispy
Mar 26, 2011 Grace Krispy rated it it was amazing
A novel by Sarah Ettritch, "The Salbine Sisters" looks at a world where powerful women are revered for their magical ability to draw upon the four elements. What happens when one of the chosen turns out to not have the same abilities? Is there truly a place in the order for those who cannot perform as expected? Part sweet love story, part personal journey, this tale is masterfully woven together with fluid prose and a well-paced storyline. The author entwines key details of the world perfectly ...more
Brandy
Jan 27, 2011 Brandy rated it liked it
Blurb:

She gave up everything to become a Salbine Sister, member of a religious order of powerful female mages. But when Maddy nearly dies while trying to draw forth elemental fire, she learns that Salbine has withdrawn from her the gifts every sister works to master. Feeling trapped in an order to which she no longer has any right to belong and believing herself unworthy of the love of Lillian, one of the most powerful mages in the sisterhood, Maddy begs the abbess to let her travel to another m
Denise
Dec 14, 2010 Denise rated it it was ok
I won this book as a giveaway. I think this book had a lot of potential, but I'm not sure if it quite reached it. The story itself was interesting. The world was, I think, my favorite part. I wanted to like this book more than I actually did, really. I think my main problem with it was the character's voices. I had a very hard time understanding why or how Maddy fell in love with Lillian to tell the truth. While towards the end of the book Lillian did soften up, through most of it, I just really ...more
Tina
May 12, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it
The story, the setting and the characters are wonderful. I love the way Sarah writes - it flows perfectly and is brimming with emotion.
The Salbine Sisters for me is a romance novel set in a fantasy world with a splash of magic and spirituality. However, it is definitely first and foremost a romance novel... And I love it! I wish there was more.

**mild spoiler**

Yet, as I finished this book I am slightly disappointed. There is so much more potential in terms of the story line and the progression o
Raye
Oct 23, 2015 Raye rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
The Salbine Sisters is an incredible read. I honestly don’t even know where to begin. This is one of the best books I read last year. It is beautifully written, with amazing characters and a fantastic plot. I wish it never had to end. I just couldn’t get enough and when I got to the last page I was so sad that there was no more.

I love this book so much and I recommend it to everyone. You have to pick this one up. Please get it. It is a must read. You will love it. I know I will be re-reading thi
Darlene
Dec 19, 2011 Darlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yvensong, S. Michele, Kay Kuns
Recommended to Darlene by: Sarah Ettritch
I actually finished this last night but couldn't let go of the afterglow. What at sweet and wonderful story. So far I haven't read anything by Sarah Ettritch that I haven't loved. Her books aren't erotica or anything untoward, just stories of love occurring in different venues.

I can't imagine how a sequel could come about with all threads leading to a satisfying ending, but I loved all the characters so much I would love to see what could happen later.

Take your chances, pick up her books. Imagin
Julia
Sarah Ettritch has a gift for making me want to keep reading when I should be doing something else. I was almost late for work this morning because it was hard to put this down.

I was caught up in the story of Maddy and Lillian, members of the religious order of the Salbine Sisters. Maddy is a young Sister who is assigned to Mistress Lillian to learn fire magic, but their relationship quickly goes beyond student-teacher.

This is a combination love story, coming-of-age novel, and quest.
Kaiti
I am so disappointed in this book. The premise is amazing but all the characters are really flat, the pacing is really weird, and the writing is just not all that great.

There was no chemistry between Lillian and Maddy at all, and I just wasn't emotionally invested in the book at all.

3 stars anyways because the premise and lesbians.

If it hadn't been for lesbians i would have abandoned it very early on.
A.C. Buchanan
Dec 24, 2015 A.C. Buchanan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this as a result of a post on the Outer Alliance mailing list. It's not a particularly complex story, but what it does it does very well, weaving religious and personal journeys together in a well thought out and highly readable novel. I'm not sure if there's a sequel planned, but I feel the world it is set in - and particularly the nature of the religious order - has the potential for a lot more exploration.
D.
Jul 02, 2012 D. rated it liked it
This story was a little interesting. The story had drama, suspense, with some bits of adventure and romance. The drama and suspense was good, but not the adventure and romance was not that good. If that was not enough, the major problem I had with this book is that it focused mostly on the inner conflicts of a main character, which got really boring later in the story. It was a little disappointing and I would give it a score of 2.7, but I can't. So am going to round it up.
Anna "Andi"
Nov 26, 2010 Anna "Andi" rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nikki
Mar 31, 2012 Nikki rated it liked it
An interesting book that I enjoyed reading. It was a bit slow in the first half, but eventually picked up quite a bit by the middle, when some serious events challenged one of the protagonists. By that point, I absolutely had to find out what happened. It was good enough for me to want to check out the author's other books.
Blu
May 14, 2013 Blu rated it really liked it
A great story in which the internal angst about purpose and roles in life are central to Maddy's growth.
I related a great deal with Lillian ~ bemused and clumsy as she navigates their relationship.
Thank you Sarah for a great tale and to The Cocktail Hour for introducing me to this author!
Tonyaprice
Tonyaprice rated it did not like it
Jul 13, 2016
Maria
Maria rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2011
lunarmiko
lunarmiko rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Rain
Oct 16, 2015 Rain rated it it was ok
I'm too old for sugary girly romance.
R.D.
R.D. rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2011
Christie
Christie rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Anita Book
Anita Book rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mostly Lesfic: * The Salbine Sisters - March 2012 71 46 Mar 30, 2012 02:19PM
  • The Empress And the Acolyte (Lyremouth Chronicles, #3)
  • River Walker
  • Nightshade (Arravan, #1)
  • Broken Wings
  • A Hero's Tale (When Women Were Warriors,  #3)
  • Scarlet Masquerade
  • A Hole in the World
  • Shadows of Aggar (The Amazons of Aggar)
  • A Pirate's Heart
  • The Pyramid Waltz
  • Worth Dying For
  • Branded Ann
  • Beloved Pilgrim
  • Pennance
  • Darkness Embraced (Rosso Lussuria Vampire, #1)
  • Desolation Point
3320728
Sarah Ettritch writes stories featuring strong female characters. Her protagonists are often lesbian.

Find her on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/settritch
More about Sarah Ettritch...