Start by marking “The Texan's Reward (Wife Lottery, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Texan's Reward (Wife Lottery, #4)

The Texan's Reward (Wife Lottery #4)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  952 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Years ago, Texas Ranger Jacob Dalton bailed an orphaned girl named Nell out of trouble more times than he could count. But now the kid he once called Two Bits has grown into a beautiful young woman--and is in more trouble than ever before.
Published November 1st 2005 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about The Texan's Reward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Texan's Reward

Ronyell
I have been reading Jodi Thomas’s popular “Wife Lottery” series for many years now and when I finally stumbled upon the final story of the batch called “The Texan’s Reward” which stars Jacob Dalton and Nell, I was pleasantly surprised by the results of this book!

Many years ago, Texas Ranger Jacob Dalton befriended a young orphaned girl named Nell (who he fondly calls “Two Bits”) and they had been the best of friends ever since. But years later, Nell is now a full grown woman and Jacob is having
Mimi Smith
3 stars

I have to admit-I was disappointed in this book. Mostly because I got to love Nell in the previous books and the romance between her and Jacob Dalton seemed very interesting. Oh, well...

Here's the story. In A Texan's Luck, Nell suffers an injury and is unable to move freely, she's in a wheelchair. Her life is also endangered by the bullet still lodged in her back, near her spine. She's in pain. Having pushed Jacob away awhile ago she decided to buy herself a husband, placing an ad. Hearin
Megan
Sep 23, 2010 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Western Historical Romance Lovers, like to read about people that overcome obstacles
This is the final book in the Wife Lottery Series. The whole series is wonderfully written with an interesting storyline and lovable characters.

Jacob Dalton, a Texas Ranger, comes "home" to Nell to stop her from marrying a man, any man. She put an ad in some papers for a husband, by name only, so she can have a last name and they can run her properties. Nell was in an accident in the previous book and is now confined to a wheelchair. She thinks that she has no hope for a happy future, and doesn
Feminista
Nov 07, 2013 Feminista marked it as never-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Skim read. Did not finish...

Not much happens in the way of relationship until 90% of the book. The characters spent very little time together throughout the book. The plot was very uninteresting too. Very little happens.

The heroine wants to marry another man because she doesn't want to burden Jake. Jake refuses to let her marry. Then at the end of the book, Jake turns around and tells her that she should consider marrying the other man... See what I mean? This isn't at 50% into the book, but the
Pamela(AllHoney)
The fourth book in the Wife Lottery series by Jodi Thomas. Nell, or "Two Bits", was introduced in the previous books. She was injured and unable to walk. Now she has decided she wants a husband, in name only, to help her with her properties and has put out an ad to find one. This brings, Jacob Dalton, Texas Ranger, and good friend, back to town.

I have loved this series but like many I felt let down on this addition to the series. Not sure exactly what it was but I just didn't feel as connected
Tiko
i can gladly say that this one was absolutely the best in whole series!

i looved it :D and ended up reading the whole book with a big grin on my face... at some point the book was actually very sad... because Nell (the heroine) cant walk coz of an accident that happened in book 3, but she doesnt give up the thought of ever walking gain and so she tries and tries... sometimes its sad to look her struggle but its worth the feeling you get at the end of the book when shes finally able to run again
Carolyn F.
I have no idea why I didn't enjoy this book very much. The romance between Nell and Jacob is sweet but it seemed something was missing. Nell was attracted to Jacob but he always looked to her as a sister. When he felt something more for her it just didn't seem to flow from anywhere that I could see, just blammo "I'm attracted to you!" No wonder she doesn't trust it. I don't know if there are more to this series but I'm taking a break from it.
Shelly
Great series. Glad to read Nell and Jacob's story. Always liked these characters. I rather enjoyed the strays picked up in the story. I didn't love the plot of the dangers to Nell, but the rest was great. I especially enjoyed the epilogue and learning where all the characters lives went. I would've liked a little more info on the other characters from the first books of the series included somewhere.
May

Sad sad sad

I almost gave it 2 stars

I liked the main characters earlier (in the previous 3 books) but here, their arguments, stubbornness and sadness is just overwhelming

The book was mainly 2 themes: Nell struggling with her condition & Dalton being lured in then pushed off :S
then there is some secondary characters who all had sad stories

Wendy
Dec 14, 2008 Wendy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cowboy romance lovers
You will fall in love with Jacob Dalton. He is a strong man that has helped Nell throughout her life and now that she is finally old enough to do something about the feelings they have had for each other, Nell has an accident that she must heal from. A sweet book about love overcomeing all of the troubles and trials that life has in store.
Beezus
Almost. Everything about this series is “almost”. Great ideas, well written, but too many things mentioned in the story that are left hanging. It’s almost a really good story. It’s as if the author (like so many these days) never goes back through and reads the book with an eye toward things the reader will be curious about . I’d rather the author not mention those things if I’ll be left wondering about them. I mean, can’t they ask or hire friends or someone to read the book and make notes about ...more
Jessica
Best ending to any book I've ever read. If you read romance for the sex scenes, this series/author is not for you.
SheLove2Read
Not as good as the previous entries in the series. Heroine was really rather annoying.
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
So heartwarming! This book is the last in the Wife Lottery Series and it's officially my favorite of the four. I laughed, I cried, I was on the edge of my seat... This book had all the excitement and drama of an old fashioned western!

Jacob is beginning to see Nell in a new light since an injury took the use of her legs. When he learns she's placed an add for a husband "in name only," he rides three days to talk some sense into the stubborn girl he's known for ten years. Two Bits, as he's come t
Diah Didi
The end of Wife Lottery Series. I was curious how things were going to end in this book, especially since Nell and Jacob already made their appearance from the very first book, I loved them instantly.
As the story went, I felt like I could slap Nell on her face. But I realized that if I were in her shoes, I might do the same, refusing Jacob's marriage proposal.
It's a bit funny when one by one people started to show up on Nell's porch. There were so many new characters in this book. Started from t
Deborah
I randomly picked up this book after I found out some other users on the historical romance group recommended her books. This was the first one I've read by Jodi Thomas and I really liked it! I see now it's part of a series, and I will def go and try to read the others in the series. I've read a ton of pretty terrible romance novels with terrible plots and characters. I guess I have a pretty high tolerance for not-so-great literature. This book, though, was not one of those. It was a great story ...more
Jacky Faber
I enjoyed the characters in this book. Some real eccentrics. Plus, I've enjoyed reading about Jacob Dalton in some of the books in the series. I like his sense of humor. I found the details of his tracking and trying to capture outlaws very interesting. I felt like I too was along with Jacob, trying to catch the bad guys.
Jacqueline
Good read

This book was a good end to a very good read.I enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone looking for good story of the old west..writer has a gift and shares it with you the reader..Will continue to read some of her books..thanks Jodi Thomas...
Krissie
Years ago, Texas Ranger Jacob Dalton bailed an orphaned girl named Nell out of trouble more times than he could count. But now the kid he once called "Two Bits" has grown into a beautiful young woman—and is in more trouble than ever before.
Shadow
This was a really cute book. Just sweetness. Nothing extremely extremely special, but something worth reading just for fun. There is actual humor in the book; it would make a GREAT romantic comedy.

Linda
OMG, I did not think this series could get any better than the first book but Jodi Thomas has outdone herself. This was the final installment of the Lottery Wife's books and I really enjoyed this story of two people who had known each other for years and the Ranger had always taken care of Nell. He felt like it was his job but when he finally realized that Nell was home to him, that made him take another look at her. Nell had been shot and was in a wheel chair but she was not handicapped. She kn ...more
Mounika

The heroine and hero are not perfect... They have too many flaws yet they fall in love with each other irrevocably...

Nell is the victim of an accident in which a bullet is lodged beside her spine due to which she can't walk. Jacob has saved Nell too many times from trouble becoming her own ranger. When wants to buy a husband for herself, Jacob wants to save her from this insanity. Though Nell loves her ranger she wants him to have a perfect wife. So, she rejects his proposal.
But, our oh so ra

The end was a little rushed, but nothing I didn't see coming so it was fine. I really enjoyed this book, and it was my first by this author. I think my favorite was the cast of secondary characters that were perfectly written to enhance the depth of the heroine. I would be very interested to read some of her other books just to meet a new cast of secondaries. Her writing is very simple, and yet, she paints a very vivid world with depth, color, texture, and emotion. I would almost call it an hist ...more
Trewen
I loved this series!

I was really looking forward to Jacob and Nell's story and it was good. It had a nice flow and some great secondary characters (Nell's strays). but I had to knock it down a star because of a few reasons.
I missed the feisty Nell and I wanted to get to know Jacob a little more.
I also missed the characters from the previous books. That's one of my favorite things about a series.
And
(view spoiler)
June
I really enjoyed the first 3 books of this series called The Wife Lottery. This book was the 4th in the series and I thought I would really like Texas Ranger Jacob Dalton's book, but it just fell flat for me. It took me a while to read it. I didn't really care for the heroine Two Bits or Nell as we now call her. She really irritated me through most of the book.

It mentioned the characters from the other books, but we don't see them again. It felt disjointed from the rest of the series.

I did like
Aaron Ritchey
Jodi Thomas writes a book you want to crawl into and live inside for weeks and months and years. The characters feel like family and the best moments of this novel feels like it was taken from the softer parts of Lonesome Dove. The writing is crips, clear, and soothing. Everything about this book feels soothing, and yes, there is conflict, but you know it's all going to turn out right. It's like a warm sweater on a cold night.
Kim
There is nothing better than taking a break from life and reading a Jodi Thomas novel. Sure, it is a historical romance, but hey, it is a lot of fun and she writes about Texas - my favorite state! Her heroines are always "not perfect" and have flaws, but those flaws are what draw the hero to her - fantasy? Maybe, but everyone needs a little fantasy.
Brandy *Ahviel*
Not really going to go into a lot of detail on this one but I have to say that I love this book. I love Jacob and everything that he stands for. The love that he and two bit shares and the fire and fight between them is something that just gets to me.
This is a must read and a favorite for me
Delia
totally loved this whole series.....the only thing that "left me wanting" was a little info about the previous characters from the other books......it would have been nice to have some kind of get-together or at least a letter or something telling about how they were doing.....maybe its just me?
Tasha
I love to see cowboys flustered! It's perfect because it is completely against character and they have no idea what the hell they are suppose to do about it. Nell is great but I have to say Jacob really makes the book. My first Thomas, I'll have to grab a few more.
  • Texas Splendor (Texas Trilogy, #3)
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • Secondhand Bride (McKettricks, #3)
  • Keegan's Lady
  • Silver Lining
  • A Reason to Live (Forrester Brothers, #1)
  • The Tenderfoot Bride
20273
I'm a New York Times and USA Today Best Selling author, wife, mother, in-law, grandmother, sister, friend, and owner of one fat cat.
More about Jodi Thomas...

Wife Lottery (4 books)
  • The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1)
  • When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery, #2)
  • A Texan's Luck (Wife Lottery, #3)
The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1) When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery, #2) Welcome to Harmony (Harmony #1) A Texan's Luck (Wife Lottery, #3) Texas Rain (Whispering Mountain, #1)