Start by marking “Suck On This Year: LYFAO @ 140 Characters or Less” as Want to Read:
Suck On This Year: LYFAO @ 140 Characters or Less

Suck On This Year: LYFAO @ 140 Characters or Less

One of America's most original and biting comic satirists, Denis Leary turns his irreverent eye and scathing humor on everything you love and cherish-and now he does it with a hilarious, illustrated collection of Tweets! Like a quiver full of arrows, Suck On This Year's barbs will hit you where it hurts-and you'll love it.

Published December 2nd 2010 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Suck On This Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suck On This Year

Donna
Nov 23, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it
I'm probably going to break my "your review needs to be longer than the book blurb" credo. Why? Because the book blurb is longer than the book itself. I kid you not. The "book" is 104 pages long. Roughly half of those are pictures. Each remaining page contains 1 twit each, 140 characters or less. There's nothing to judge here. No plot structure or character development. No use of proper grammar or cliches. You either think the guy's funny or you don't.

Considering I think Denis Leary is nothing s
Myckyee
Dec 05, 2010 Myckyee rated it it was amazing
Denis Leary is a very funny man and his new book, Suck On This Year, shows just how funny. It is full of tweets - short bon mots at 140 characters or less - that take a headline and continue it with very funny lines. Example:

Doctors: attention deficit disorder can destroy a marriage.

(Denis Leary): I think I speak for all husbands when I say: 'You seen my keys?'

This little book is chock full of classic Denis Leary humour - sarcastic wit amid true observations that only he could think of. To see
Patrick
Jul 10, 2015 Patrick rated it liked it
p.22 Pope is against gay marriage. This coming from a grown man who goes to work dresses like Lady Gaga.

A short, quick, easy read. Mr. Leary's trademark sarcasm is on full display throughout the work. There are plenty of good laughs included within the quick-hitting bits. As usual, nothing is out of bounds for the professional comedian. The topics are full of pop culture references and fun comparisons.
Ann Keller
Jun 14, 2011 Ann Keller rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
The humor in Suck On This Year is coarsely funny. This is a short book with humorous lines of 140 characters or less posted on Twitter in the last year.

Definitely not for the younger set! The audience for this book is high school and above. I think I may have smiled once while reading it. Apparently, I’m not in the right market niche for this book.
Robert J. Sullivan
Jun 19, 2011 Robert J. Sullivan rated it liked it
This is 104 pages of funny snark from Leary, usually commenting on current events. The format is a picture, a news note about an event and Leary's shot at it, for each of a pair of pages.

“Larry King puts his divorce on hold”, to which Denis adds “And another one marriage forwarding.”

Acerbic and witty, you can read this in half an hour, including the introduction. And you should. 3 stars
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
There were a couple of hysterical laughing moments for me. This book is a good read for someone on the go as it's not much to read. Small book, 1/2 of the pages are pictures (funny) and smart witty humor twits on the rest. Denis Leary is a funny man no doubt.
Blog on Books
Jan 12, 2011 Blog on Books rated it really liked it
We all know comedian Denis Leary is a smart-ass. Apparently, however, he is a resourceful one. After having his wife berate him into getting a Twitter account, he realized that his only response to people’s dumb postings was to make some short, 140-character, smart-ass responses of his own. Determined not to waste his God-given talent on the vapors of cyberspace, Leary figured out a way to monetize his tweets. He wrote a book. It’s called “Suck on This Year” (Viking) and yes, it’s a very short b ...more
Wendy
Aug 25, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it
Got 20 minutes? Grab what Denis Leary himself refers to as his “celebrity coaster”. Once he started with Twitter, he couldn’t stop and naturally wanted to make money off his tweets, twats, whatever. Thus – the book. Just a bunch of Leary-esque tweets, but some are pretty damn funny, so be careful if you’re drinking a hot beverage (or something carbonated).

Example: “To celebrate Earth Day I spent three hours picking up trash. Started to feel a little bit like Jesse James.”

Another: “New Jersey wor
Tish
Mar 30, 2013 Tish rated it really liked it
In my opinion, there is no one funnier than Denis Leary. If you're ready to LYFAO, this book will not disappoint. It is filled with tweets made by Leary in response to events in the news. The book can be read in just 10-15 minutes, but it's well worth a spot on your bookshelf. It's just as enjoyable the second or third time around. My favorite tweet in the book is, "Study shows heavy drinkers live 9% longer than teetotalers. And have 99.9% more cases of whiskey dick." How can you not laugh at th ...more
Kelly
Oct 09, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Really fun, quick hit doses of Leary's trademark snarky humor. Perfect book for the restroom, which I think he would take as a compliment.

It is pretty skinny material to justify a whole book and paying for a whole book although the proceeds go to support Firefighters' and their families. I deducted half a star for that. And I disagree with his assertion that the book is a better Christmas present than a warm pair of socks. I think I speak for many survivors of Portland winters (who can't afford
Cassie
Jan 05, 2011 Cassie rated it it was amazing
Seriously, this book took less than ten minutes to read and that didn't take away from the gratification I felt from reading it. Denis uses his sarcastic wit to discuss topics that make it into the 24 hours news cycle of which we are constantly bombarded. Topics ranging from the Pope to Sarah Palin and even Lady GaGa (or is it Gaga....I am happy I don't know) are treated with equal sharped tongue-ness (okay, not a word, whatever!). Anyway, the bottom line is you should run to your local bookstor ...more
Jenn
Oct 02, 2011 Jenn rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
There isn't really much to say to review this book. It's composed entirely of Denis Leary's comments to current events in Tweet format. It takes less than 20 minutes to read (and that's a generous estimate). And you either find Denis Leary funny or you don't. If you suspect that you don't think he's funny, the book won't be sufficient to try to convince you that he is, so save your money. If you do think that Denis Leary is funny, you don't need me to tell you that you might enjoy this book.
Angie Fehl
Feb 26, 2013 Angie Fehl rated it really liked it
Shelves: funnies
Not everything here was LOL funny but the few that were were REALLY good. Leary points out in his opener that he knows this is not epic literature, he knows it can be read in 20 mins or less (about every other page is a photo of a celebrity or news item he's cracking a joke about) but it's a funny review on pop culture stuff. And sales for the book raise money for Leary's Firefighters Foundation (being a firefighter's wife myself, I'm all for helping those guys out!)
Kelly
Dec 20, 2010 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Suck On This Year was a very funny read. I liked the stripped down, 140 characters or less takes on Cheney, Lady Gaga, and Sarah Palin. I always enjoy Denis Leary. I will say that I do not know if I would purchase the book...a little short for the money.

I received this book through Good Read's First Reads program.
Mandy
Mar 03, 2011 Mandy rated it it was amazing
He says a 20 minute read, he's not kidding. Won this book in a goodreads contest for my husband, and he loves it. It's cute, short, & funny; a nice bathroom book, waiting room book, etc. and a good recap of 2010. :-) Best of all proceeds benefit the firefighter's foundation Leary began about the same time he started Rescue Me. For the true Leary Fan to add to his complete Leary collection.
Jessica
Funny and silly, but most of the little Twitter entries aren't ground-breaking comedy. They are vintage Denis Leary however and as such should be enjoyable to any who enjoy his brand of comedy. Also, a portion of the proceeds go to the Leary Firefighters, a charity which helps purchase equipment and training fascilities for firefighters, a worthy cause.
Patty Marvel
Mar 05, 2011 Patty Marvel rated it liked it
Here's the main selling point of Leary's book - the back cover says, "A portion of any profits the author earns from sales of this book will be donated to the Leary Firefighters Foundation." This collection of the comedian's Twitter posts circa 2010 is a VERY quick read. And yes, many of the comments made me LOL.
TJ
Jun 07, 2016 TJ rated it liked it
I loved Denis Leary's bok "Why We Suck", so when I ordered this book online I was expecting more of the same. Unfortunately this was a collection of tweets and his comments to those tweets and some funny pictures. The book took me about 20 minutes to read. I was disappointed it wasn't another full Denis Leary book but the tweets were funny. It would make a good bathroom book for guests.
Reyn
Dec 27, 2010 Reyn rated it it was ok

Short and silly. While the author's characteristic wit comes through quite well in the 140 character format, there just isn't much here. There were several giggle-moments, but I found the laugh-out-loud advertised on the jacket to be mostly missing.

Bridget
Nov 24, 2010 Bridget rated it it was amazing

I laughed so hard while reading this book that I literally fell to the floor. There is no way to prepare you for Suck On This Year. Fans of Denis Leary are in for a real treat. I'm saving this book for my dad for Christmas, I'm sure he'll love it!
Doobie Howser
Nov 23, 2012 Doobie Howser rated it did not like it
This shouldn't even be considered a book. It is about 100 pages long and about half of them consist of a "tweet" from his Twitter page; It is not funny whatsoever. I think there was a single quip that made me smile, but that's it. I certainly was not "Laughing My Fucking Ass Off".
Justin
Oct 22, 2011 Justin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those with shrt attn spans
Not side splitting hilarious or anything, but pretty funny. Considering you only invested 10 minutes to read this 'book' cover to cover it seems like a good trade. DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE! It would be better to just read it in the store- like all other short comedy books.
Jun 28, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
I was curious to read one of his "books", but it wasn't really funny. It doesn't take much to get me to laugh when I read and I didn't do it one time throughout the book. I also wouldn't call it a book. It's very brief running commentary on issues in the media. Don't bother.
Wes Branscum
Mar 29, 2014 Wes Branscum rated it liked it
Book is a collection of Leary tweets, literally took 20 minutes to read. Some pretty funny tweets but nothing special. I find Leary very funny but glad I got this book for free not worth the price tag for so little
Cori Farris
Feb 21, 2011 Cori Farris rated it it was amazing
I'm not hugest Leary fan, but I figured I could give this book the 15 minutes it took me to read through it. Most of the TWEETS were funny and some of them were hilarious. It was a good 15 minute break.
Melissa
Mar 26, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok
Quick, funny read. I have always said that I would never get a Twitter account. I may have changed my mind after reading this book...
Amy
Apr 03, 2015 Amy rated it did not like it
Shelves: press-copy, review
a review in 140 characters:

Leary is unquestionably talented however his tweets don't translate to book form. 10 min. read. stand-up like No Cure for Cancer=hysterical.
Tasha
Feb 26, 2013 Tasha rated it liked it
Some of the twitter comment were laugh out loud funny but some were lacking. Enjoyable though for a short quick read.
Joanna
Jan 08, 2011 Joanna rated it really liked it
As with most things @DenisLeary - very funny. A short round-up of his 2010 tweets.
Wish there was more to it, like I do? Follow him on Twitter.
Julie
Jan 09, 2011 Julie rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Vapid fun. Very fast read. I mean very fast, like under 10 minutes! Good stocking filler perhaps. Maybe I'm missing the point...........
  • I Can't Be Good All the Time
  • The Road To Hell
  • Childhood
  • Large Print (Unshelved, #8)
  • Chas Addams Happily Ever After: A Collection of Cartoons to Chill the Heart of Your Loved One
  • Librarian on the Roof! A True Story
  • Vampire Haiku
  • Life's Little Annoyances: True Tales of People Who Just Can't Take It Anymore
  • Roseanne: My Life as a Woman
  • Rae: My True Story of Fear, Anxiety, and Social Phobia
  • More Napalm and Silly Putty
  • Should You Be Laughing at This?
  • The Badge: True and Terrifying Crime Stories That Could Not Be Presented on TV, from the Creator and Star of Dragnet
  • All I Need to Know I Learned from My Cat
  • Dawn of the Bunny Suicides
  • Book
  • For Fucks Sake
Denis Colin Leary (born August 18, 1957) is a Golden Globe- and Emmy Award-nominated American actor, comedian, writer and director. He is known for his often angry comedic style, and his chain smoking. Leary is currently the star and co-creator of the television show Rescue Me.
More about Denis Leary...