Start by marking “Posterity: Letters of Great Americans to Their Children” as Want to Read:
Posterity: Letters of Great Americans to Their Children

Posterity: Letters of Great Americans to Their Children

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  26 reviews
An elegantly designed, beautifully composed volume of personal letters from famous American men and women that celebrates the American Experience and illuminates the rich history of some of America’s most storied families.

Posterity is at once an epistolary chronicle of America and a fascinating glimpse into the hearts and minds of some of history’s most admired figures. Sp
Published April 13th 2004 by Doubleday (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Posterity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Posterity

Emily
What a moving book. I loved reading the honest voices of these great men and women sharing their love, advice, faith, and humor, then signing so sweetly, "With Tenderest Affection, Daddy" (or mommy). The letters weren't all sweet, however, many also were harsh reprimands. I enjoyed the introduction bios just as much as the letters. It was interesting to find out about their accomplishments along with their personal lives and the circumstances surrounding the letters.

My complaint is that the let
Amor
I accidentally deleted this book from my list. What?!

This is the perfect book for a person with the desire to start reading biographies. It is organized by subject which is nice because the letters needn't be read in order. Also, it isn't filled with the minutia which can be intimidating to some readers. Each letter is preceded by a brief history about the person writing and the person receiving the letter; the history also provides a backdrop to the letter and offers the reader a glimpse as to
Nikie Elwood
Another Book Club book. I love David McCullough so I was excited to read something by his daughter. It took me a little while to get into reading a book in letter format--and I did find a few of the letters to be a little boring--but on the whole, I loved it. The letters range from funny, to ironic--Thomas Jefferson lecturing his daughter on the evils of debt--to touching and tragic. A great book.
Danica
This is such a great collection of letters. I love writing and receiving letters and believe that it is becoming a lost art. This book demonstrates why it shouldn't.
Dot
Great mix of past and recent historical figures. Some very surprising insights to people you think you knew.
John
It’s an anthology, and, as such, the quality is uneven. Each reader will have his or her personal favorites. For me, Ansel Adams to Michael Adams (p. 14) was the most touching. If ever I can write a sentence with so perfect and beautiful an image, then my writing life will be complete: “I am wondering, in the afternoon of my life, just what your day will be.” Not far behind on my scale of enjoyment was N.C. Wyeth to Nat and Caroline Wyeth about his grandson Newell (p. 35). I appreciated the prac ...more
Angie Bollard
This is a beautiful book that gives a rare glimpse of the lives of great Americans. Just about every subject is raised. Character, money management, aging, family relationships. In short, everything that regular Americans experience. Some of the insights into the lives of these people that surprised me are as follows:

*General Pershing lost his wife and three daughters in a fire in 1915 and the only child living was his son Warren whom he chastized about his grades (He was worried he wouldn't mak
Carmen Cocar
I felt like I was snooping through old letters in an attic. :)
Anonymous
I love reading personal writing - letters or journals - and this was a collection of great people. I only read through some of them before my library borrowing time ran out, but want to read more!

I just wish they would have included some pictures of the real letters and penmanship. Or, packaged it in a way where one page has a picture of the letter and the other has a transcription.
Rhys
A respectable first book by the daughter of one of America's premier historians, David McCullough. The letters chosen reflect intelligent researching and presentation, and provide inspiration and insight to the challenges faced by parents and their children in all ages.
Mauri
'It was ok' sums this book up pretty well. It depended a little too much on the letters themselves to carry the whole theme. I rather enjoyed the little introductory paragraphs about each person and the background surrounding the letter.
Dave
I listened to this book.
Not that entertaining but some interesting letters of counsel or comfort written by famous people to their children.
Rachelle
Loved this book. George HW Bush has the best letter near the end. Shows the value of letters and the relationships between great and their children.
Sharman Wilson
May 05, 2014 Sharman Wilson is currently reading it
Bummer, I missed the due date and renewal deadline, so I had to give this back halfway through. I'll have to get it back soon!
Louvaine
Revealing look at famous persons through their personal letters to friends and family. Makes me want to be a better writer.
Katie
I listened to an interview with the author on NPR. She read a letter from Woody Guthrie to his son Arlo and I just sobbed.
Sari
A wonderful collection of intimate conversations between historic families. My favorite was Barbara Bush- Keep Trying.
Conrad Haas
The letters offers lessons in life, love, character, and compasion that surprise and enlighten the reader.
Tahirah
This book is a really interesing, an insight into the minds of the men and women who ruled in the old days.
Becky
Excellent collection of letters, wonderful introductions to each. Would make a great gift.
Robert
Some real gems here. I especially liked the Rockefeller letters, among others.
Anne
This is awesome to read outloud to someone. I had a lot of fun reading this.
Kandis
So fun to see how our leaders interacted with their kids!
Cindi
My second read and enjoying it even more.
Carol
Very insightful!
Brady
A must read.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Lisa McCasline
Lisa McCasline marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Christopher Sharp
Christopher Sharp marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Neal Caffery
Neal Caffery marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
  • Letters of a Nation
  • Women's Letters: America from the Revolutionary War to the Present
  • Letters of the Century: America 1900-1999
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Lincolns: A Scrapbook Look at Abraham and Mary
  • Steinbeck: A Life in Letters
  • Sunday Nights at Seven
  • Dear Miss Breed: True Stories of the Japanese American Incarceration During World War II and a Librarian Who Made a Difference
  • Beatrix Potter's Journal
  • Brigham Young: Pioneer Prophet
  • Myrna Loy: The Only Good Girl in Hollywood
  • The Studs Terkel Reader: My American Century
  • Things I Like About America: Personal Narratives
  • The Selected Journals Of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 3: 1921-1929
  • Mary Chesnut: A Diary From Dixie
  • The Inner Citadel: The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
  • Take My Advice: Secret Letters to the Next Generation from People Who Know a Thing or Two
  • The Fiddler on Pantico Run: An African Warrior, His White Descendants, A Search for Family
Along Comes a Stranger Tex Posterity Posterity Along Comes a Stranger