Start by marking “The Jack Bank: A Memoir of a South African Childhood” as Want to Read:
The Jack Bank: A Memoir of a South African Childhood

The Jack Bank: A Memoir of a South African Childhood

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  24 reviews
An extraordinary, literary memoir from a gay white South African, coming of age at the end of apartheid in the late 1970s. Glen Retief's childhood was at once recognizably ordinary--and brutally unusual.

Raised in the middle of a game preserve where his father worked, Retief's warm nuclear family was a preserve of its own, against chaotic forces just outside its borders: a
Published April 12th 2011 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Jack Bank, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jack Bank

Peterson Toscano
Regardless what Retief writes about, his use of language and deep reflection is gripping. Excellent memoir. There is something for everyone. He offers a meditation on violence from the natural world to the Apartheid state. Moving, insightful, and brilliantly executed. (I read a pre-released version of the book)
Sep 24, 2014 Doreen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Diane, Laura, Jan F., Susan
Recommended to Doreen by: Prescott
Jack bank refers to the hazings/beatings that the author endures while at boarding school. He could 'bank' some of this torture against future 'infractions', real or fabricated. A sophomoric, brutal tradition at the boarding school, Retief suffers from PTSD in the following years because of it.

The memoir spans Retief's childhood in the natural beauty of South Africa, his adolescent and teen years, grappling with bullies and his budding sexuality, and his years as an adult, as he experiments wi
Lindsey Tate
Beautifully written, brutally honest memoir about growing up in South Africa during a time of extreme political change. Retief's first years of childhood are spent in the middle of a game preserve, the Kruger National Park, surrounded by exotic animals and impressive landscapes. Yet this paradise hides its own dark shadows: the abuse of his sister by his grandfather, a father's friend involved in state-backed murders - and at the age of twelve when Retief goes away to boarding school any innocen ...more
Literature Teacher
Vivid and beautiful. I may assign it in a postcolonial literature class.
Growing up in South Africa: Man, this is going to be cool, with wild animals hanging out in your backyard and maybe a lion mauling or something. I pictured lush tree-lined streets on the way to school, boyhood adventures.

Not that my initial expectations were wrong, but there is so much more.

Like most children, Glen thinks his childhood is fairly common. We open up with an interviewer who wants to know the gritty details about living on a game preserve, but he talks about his hobbies and his frie
Combine South Africa, boarding school, and questioning of sexuality -- three book topics that interest me more or less to no end -- and stir. Add a bit of seasoning; stir again. Yay?

What surprised me, I think, was how little the book had to do with the cover copy. I mean, yes, he talks about growing up in a game preserve; he talks about boarding school and the jack bank. But that's more or less where the cover copy ends, leading me to think that that was the focus of the book; as it is, the jack
Brian Reeves
I don't have much experience with memoir, but this one was great. Written by one of my grad school associates and friends, Glen Retief, The Jack Bank tells of his early years in South Africa, in an environment where violence often merges with power and sexuality. Life in an African National Park itself was interesting, but his depiction of the horrors taking place in boarding school was gut-wrenching. The title and back cover only touch on the depth of violence and depravity inflicted upon the l ...more
Hannah Langhoff
This book is often difficult to read, given the subject matter, but it's beautifully written.
I expected to really like this. What is not to like about a child that grows up in Kruger Park? However, it ends up being more about his childhood, where he was bullied for being different - and about him finally figuring out that he was gay. His family were English Catholics, which was different than all the other white people. So, he grows up, has trouble making friends, goes to boarding school where he is beaten, goes to college and finds out he is gay. And then, he wants to move to the USA t ...more
Brandon Shire
I don't usually do memoirs, but this book, the authors use of language... beautiful.
Highly recommended.
Read this for school and had the opportunity to meet the writer, a really interesting and bright fellow. To be completely honest, I didn't think I'd be all that crazy about the book, it just didn't sound like my cup of tea. But Retief's journey is fascinating and inspiring, not to mention quite well-written. I especially enjoyed the "Black Boys of My Youth" section. Retief's recollections of his adolescence are both amusing and enlightening. Definitely worth a read.
Excellent book. I met the author this summer at a reading. Very interesting to learn about what it was like growing up gay in South Africa. This book was especially pertinent last month with the death of Nelson Mandela.He is an excellent writer. Very descriptive memoir. I would highly recommend reading this book.
retief has a very interesting story to tell, but unfortunately feels the need to hit his reader over the head with his 'theme,' thereby sacrificing the art of subtlety a book like this would really benefit from. it ends up feeling contrived, especially towards the end. which is a shame, as he's a good writer and, as i said, his is a fascinating story.
Kelly Syhre
I really liked the author's writing, beautifully descriptive. This memoir tells the journey of growing up as a white boy & young adult in South Africa. He comes to terms with his sexuality & discovers who he is during times of political upheaval.
It's incredibly difficult to create a review for a book that one of your professors wrote. I'll let the rating speak for itself on this one for the time being until I manage to choke up the words to express how awesome I thought it was.
An insight into growing up not-straight in South Africa in the dying days Apartheid. I enjoyed the story and the recounting of Glenn's coming to terms with his sexuality in the midst of turbulent familial and political times.
An engrossing memoir that draws some really interesting parallels about institutionalized hatred and violence, from homophobia and bullying in a boarding school to the racism and discrimination of the apartheid system.
Jane Brazell
Retief's telling of his childhood and youth in South Africa is gripping and beautifully written. The ideas presented about bullying are applicable to our current situation. It is also a wonderful look at South Africa.
It's actually better than a 4! I loved this book and an so proud of my faculty colleague at Susquehanna whose story it is and who writes beautifully. This book won a Lambda award last year and I can see why!
I happen to know Glen Retief's husband-to-be. This was a difficult book to read. Violence begets violence. Only love can redeem violence. I look forward to the next installment.
Julie Brown
Thoughtful, painful, but most of all, honest. Beautiful language as well. This story needs to be heard.
Kristin Rawls
Lovely, hilarious, painful, wise and truthful. A beautiful book.
By turns moving, hilarious and wise. A lovely book.
Brian Murphy
Loved loved loved it. Beautifully written. Deeply moving.
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
A Duncan
A Duncan marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Tori marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Other Man: 21 Writers Speak Candidly about Sex, Love, Infidelity, & Moving on