Start by marking “Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes” as Want to Read:
Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes

Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  31,226 Ratings  ·  204 Reviews
In her hit Food Network show Everyday Italian, Giada De Laurentiis shows you how to cook delicious, beautiful food in a flash. And here, in her long-awaited first book, she does the same—helps you put a fabulous dinner on the table tonight, for friends or just for the kids, with a minimum of fuss and a maximum of flavor. She makes it all look easy, because it is.

Everyday
Published October 20th 2010 by Clarkson Potter (first published February 22nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Everyday Italian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyday Italian

Christine
Jul 10, 2008 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I have some strong opinions about the Food Network stars and I happen to love Giada. I do not like Rachel Ray, by the way, and don't get me started on lame-ass Sandra Lee. Crazy Ida will probably have a breakdown one day when that husband of hers who is never around finally leaves her, but she does know how to cook well though.

Anyway, Giada has it all: the perfect body, adoring husband, impeccable cooking skills, a winning personality, the most current Anthropologie wardrobe, and friends mi
Allison
Aug 08, 2007 Allison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: cookbooks
Folks, proscuitto wrapped around roasted asparagus is not a recipe, its a nice suggestion. If you want nice, boring quasi-Italian suggestions, then by all means, by this book. On second thought, don't by this book, it sucks. Lidia's books have recipes and suggestions.
Amy Kannel
Jul 19, 2016 Amy Kannel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, library, italy
I get that Giada is gorgeous. Really, she is. Stunningly so. But when I open a cookbook, I expect to see photos of, I don't know, the food described in the recipes maybe? Instead it is: Giada stirring a pot of something. Giada chopping something. Giada's million-dollar smile as she juices a lemon. I MEAN SERIOUSLY. This is a cookbook, not a fashion magazine. Good grief. Photos of garlic, photos of a cutting board + knife. SHOW ME WHAT THE PREPARED FOOD LOOKS LIKE!!

Mostly this seemed not really m
Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
Since I checked this out from the library, I only had time to make a few of the recipes, all of which were really good! Plus, there’s a few more I wanted to try, but I didn’t get the chance. It’s definitely something I want to buy when I get the chance. Or maybe I can just check it out from the librayr another time. The recipes I did make were interesting: lots of fresh herbs and veggies! I managed to not hurt myself while chopping the vegetables up, which is a miracle. And washing/rinsing and t ...more
Kristl
May 14, 2007 Kristl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hungry people, but not my sister
Shelves: cookbooks
I love Giada. I love Giada's books, I love Giada's recipes, I love Giada's show, I love how Giada says "crunchy," heck, I love Giada's clothes.

I love basil, tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil (I needn't cutesy abbreviate here or the Food Network world might implode), parmesano reggiano, and I love basil some more.

The recipes in Everyday Italian are fresh, simple(ish), and easily shopped-for.

I only refrained from the final star because not everyone loves the fresh Italian palate all the time (all t
Mary Frasier
Oct 17, 2010 Mary Frasier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything from anti-pasti to dolce' in an easy to follow format and with beautiful photos of the finished food. The Crostata with Mushrooms and Pancetta (page 28) looks and tastes like something you would be served in a 3 Michelin Star restaurant, yet it is so easy to prepare, even for the beginner home cook.

Most of the ingredients in these recipes are easily found in a well stocked pantry. Loved it and use it as one of my day to day "go to" cookbooks. As a barkeep would keep his/her finer liqu
Janet
Dec 29, 2012 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this cookbook -- the "everyday" concept is delivered in an approachable way. The majority of the ingredients are readily available and in my local grocery store. None of the recipes seem daunting. I can't wait to try them!

The bonus for me was that this was a downloadable library book. I would have passed this by at the bookstore, but the no-risk opportunity to thumb through it (albeit virtually) led to my reading every recipe.

Jane Anne
Some women judge Giada because of her incredible good looks and cleavage. I find her a bit dull or stand-offish but I like her cooking. I watch her show sometimes and I follow what she's doing. She's not my favorite but she's good and this book is fabulous.
Jacquelyn Christopherson
Not very informative,nice pictures but only a few recipes as such just lots of suggestions which were good but not worth buying the book for .She is gorgeous though.
Sarah Eiseman
Dec 09, 2013 Sarah Eiseman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on Sarahsbookshelf.com:

I haven’t really been sold on Giada de Laurentiis in the past. I had checked out some of her cookbooks and wasn’t really impressed. I’m an optimist, though, so I decided to give her another shot. This book was her first cookbook and it was a goldmine of favorites. We tried Penne a la Vodka, which we made with Soju that we had on-hand, Wild Mushroom Risotto, Carbonara sauce, and a few others. Her recipes were simple, used easy-to-find ingredients, and noth
Rama
Feb 20, 2014 Rama rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Cook Italian with an American touch

Those of us who watch Food Network are familiar with some of the top names in cooking, and Giada De Laurentiis comes up in the Top 10 list. Her presentation skills, youth appearance wearing a low-cut top attracts many viewers and her cooking techniques are simple and choice of the recipes on her show is marginal. Yet for those of us who are interested in Italian cooking with an American touch, we have to look for her recopies. Until now we had to depend on reci
Kathy
Jan 22, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I haven't tried all the recipes yet, but I love the simplicity of this collection that also has a sophisticated feel to it and wonderful flavors. The asparagus frittata is amazing, the caprese salad has wonderful flavor plus a splash of color with orange tomatoes. The recipe for roasted bell peppers, which I love in so many dishes, is surprisingly simple but creates a wonderful tasting pepper that can be used in sauces, salads, pasta dishes, etc etc. There are so many tips and recipes for things ...more
Sandi
Feb 04, 2012 Sandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Filled with delicious sounding recipes that are easy to make (really!) and tips and stories about why they appear in the book make this one a winner. I'm an avid cookbook collector and will definitely be buying Everyday Italian for my collection.

With recipes that Strega Nona would definitely approve of, I have a feeling this cookbook is quickly going to become one of my faves. I think I'll start with the orichetti with breadcrumbs and then decide where to go from there.

A delightful cookbook th
Jen
Feb 26, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jen by: Barb
This was my cookbook of the week. Tried these recipes (using my familiar names -- reference Giada's book for the fancy names!):
-Sausage and Pasta (p 106). Used regular broccoli, and penne pasta. Skipped the spicy stuff for sake of the kids.
-Chicken piccata (p 153)Kids and hubby loved it too.
-Roasted fish (p 163). Used tilapia, and skipped fennel and rosemary, due to little kids. Served with roasted veggies (pg 211) and this was a hit too.
-Roasted Pork Loin (pg. 167). The hit of the week! Hubby c
Susan
Jan 13, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this cookbook. I usually stand firm by the statement, "never trust a skinny chef", but I trust this one. Ive tried out so many of Giada's recipes and I've been pleased every time. She has some traditional Italian recipes as well as some she has made up. My favorites are her biscotti, bruschetta and lentil soup as well as a recipe for a mascarpone cream that goes with fresh berries. I haven't tried all the recipes, but I haven't disliked any of the ones I did try.
The only problem I have w
Tara Lynn
I had mixed feelings about this book. I love Giada's shows, I do, but I felt like this book was really short of the mark. It is beautifully illustrated with full color photos, and many of the recipies are fast and easy. However, I really believe that the level of "shortcuts" used really outweighed the joy I found in looking at the recipies. I honestly feel that this is the book for the working professional who can't be bothered to make things from scratch or semi-scratch, and would prefer to use ...more
Cara
This was fine. Nothing special. I don't mind Giada, but her recipes are generally boring. I thought that she would have put new and interesting ideas into Everyday Italian, but it's the same recipes you find online and on food network.

What was lacking, nearly any pictures of food. I don't mind pictures of Giada; I know she's popular and cute and this is her cookbook after all, but I don't need 60 pictures of Giada just having a grand ol' time. I'd much rather have pictures of the recipes in her
Ruth
May 15, 2012 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the moment, my favorite cookbook. It's a gift from a dear friend. Eventually I'll make most of the stuff in here and probably find it wonderful, but for now my favorites are the salmon cartoccio (made an incredibly moist and flavorful salmon that tasted just as great in leftovers) and the lemon spaghetti, which I usually make using capellini instead (love how quickly it cooks and its delicate structure which somehow or other goes so well with the simple but scrumptious flavors). A real winner ...more
Amanda
I was disappointed at how meat-centric the recipes were. As a vegetarian, I find Italian food tends to be one of the easiest types to make vegetarian, but these recipes were overall difficult to adapt. Although there were two vegetarian recipes, she took a bit of a condescending tone to vegetarians in them. I did find a promising marinara recipe, as well as a vodka sauce recipe to try though. Haven't cooked/tasted them yet though.
Michelle
Feb 17, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Italian food fans
I've watched her show on the Food Network for a long time now and got this as a Christmas gift. I have made quite a few things from this book, all with great results. Although I must admit, I have been tempted to make little alterations to the recipes along the way....but I do that with almost every cookbook I read. Very straightforward and not too complicated or requiring huge lists of ingredients...great for homey, gut-pleasing meals.
Elisabeth
Mar 23, 2008 Elisabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
What I like about Giada's cookbooks is that she's okay with you using canned items as needed. It's okay to throw in canned tomatoes for a sauce. Sure, freshly peeled and seeded tomatoes are the best but sometimes one simply doesn't have the time to do that. She won't hold that against me. Thanks, Giada. And yes, this book has a great basic tomato sauce you can double or triple and hold inthe freezer for when you need it. Good Stuff!
Devon
Jun 09, 2011 Devon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Giada de Laurentiis. She is a model chef, mother and wife and has the cutest style and her show "Everyday Italian."

This cookbook is wonderful if you want to cook tradition Italian dishes. I love the tortellini in chicken broth.

My one complaint in this book is that she doesn't bring anything contemporary into these dishes. I love anything traditional, but I wanted her cookbook to see a new twist on some of these everyday italian meals.

I am very excited to try her desserts!!
Lisa
May 23, 2007 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I love this cookbook, the recipes are delish and super easy for the most part. I wish that some of them were healthier, as a lot use cream or bechamel type sauces (eg her lasagna). I think it helps that I used to watch her show a lot & have seen her make a number of the recipes on TV. I am hoping to get Everyday Pasta soon!
Jennifer Cheuk
Feb 18, 2013 Jennifer Cheuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've tried about four of her recipes which were pretty decent tasting or at least pretty ;) I read some of the reviews about this book and can understand how the reader found "asparagus wrapped in prosciutto" not a recipe but a suggestion. But for me, the I-don't-really-cook-that-much/I-really-only-stir-fry-every-meal kind of person, I found the book helpful in opening up my options when it comes to meal time.
Kimberly Martin
Apr 07, 2012 Kimberly Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fun easy to read easy to follow recipes and an autographed copy. I attended the restaurant which was hosting her and this restaurant ( jaspers in kc) created several of her dishes and suggested great wines to go with her meals. Delicious. But the icing on the cake happened when she came to each table and spoke to us and shook our hands and thank us for attending and buying her book. very down to earth person and highly recommend this book. I have been a fan ever since.
Ellen
Feb 15, 2013 Ellen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Someone gave me this book as a gift; I never would have chosen it myself. It might be fine for a beginner just learning to cook Italian food, but for anyone with any experience in this area, there is nothing useful or new in it. I have cooked my way through all of Marcella Hazan's books and the award-winning Splendid Table by Lynne Rossetto Kasper, so Everyday Italian is useless for me.
Jennifer Brisson
This book has many of my now "go to" recipes that I use regularly. Lemon spaghetti to name one. There are also two recipes for veggies, one all root vegetables, that I roast once a week on Sundats during the winter. The house smells wonderful when baking and we have ready to eat veggies all week as they stay crunchy,
Gina
Aug 05, 2008 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Haven't made everything in it yet; my favorite easy recipe is Lemon Spaghetti. Great starting point for Italian recipes that are more than just spaghetti and meatballs but not too hard. Gives you a good idea of how basic Italian dishes work (for example, risotto) so that you can create your own dishes once you're comfortable with the technique or flavor combination.
Nichole
Mar 28, 2010 Nichole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I like this cookbook alot. Several of the recipes in this book are simplified versions of traditional Italian ones, which are quicker and don't sacrifice flavor. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook a good meal that will take hours to prepare, but when I get home for work around 5:30pm I want to be eating by 6:30pm at the latest, not 9pm.
Jan 07, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Most recipes are very straightforward and easy, and for what it is--everyday cooking--it's decent. She gets carried away in her attempts to make traditional American food "Italian", and of course, there close ups of her breasts on every other page. Sort of makes you wonder who they think is doing the cooking "everyday" in most households.
  • Barefoot in Paris
  • Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time
  • The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life
  • Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook: Explosive Flavors from the Southwestern Kitchen
  • Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home
  • The New Best Recipe
  • Mastering the Art of French Cooking: Vol. 1
  • Relish: An Adventure in Food, Style, and Everyday Fun
  • How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
Giada De Laurentiis is a Los Angeles-based celebrity chef who's published several cookbooks and hosts several shows for Food Network. Born in Rome, Italy, she grew up surrounded by homemade Italian cooking. As a child, she and her family moved to California, where she spent countless hours at her grandfather's restaurant DLL Foodshow. Upon graduating from UCLA with a degree in anthropology, Giada ...more
More about Giada De Laurentiis...

“SIMPLE BOLOGNESE When we were kids, this was our favorite sauce, hands down. I used to love it on everything—pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, and polenta—you name it, I covered it in bolognese. We went through a lot of it in my household. So my parents had to figure out a way to make it that was quicker than the traditional recipe, and here it is. It’s just as rich and mouthwatering as the more time-consuming traditional recipe; I promise you won’t know the difference. Now that I’m all grown up, I try not to use bolognese for everything, but it’s tempting because it’s perfect as a sauce for any type of pasta shape. MAKES ABOUT 1 QUART; SERVES 4 OVER A POUND OF PASTA AS A MAIN COURSE ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil 1 medium onion, minced 2 garlic cloves, minced 1 celery stalk, minced 1 carrot, peeled and minced 1 pound ground beef chuck 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste ¼ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese In a Large Skillet, heat the oil over a medium flame. When almost smoking, add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is very tender, about 8 minutes. Add the celery and carrot and sauté for 5 minutes. Increase the heat to high, add the ground beef, and sauté until the meat is no longer pink, breaking up any large lumps, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, parsley, basil, and ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and cook over medium-low heat until the sauce thickens, about 30 minutes. Stir in the cheese, then season with more salt and pepper to taste. (The sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before using.)  ” 0 likes