Start by marking “More Beer” as Want to Read:
More Beer

More Beer (Kayankaya #2)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  17 reviews
“Kemal Kayankaya is the ultimate outsider among hard-boiled private eyes.”
—Marilyn Stasio, The New York Times Book Review

OVER 1 MILLION COPIES SOLD WORLDWIDE

Turkish detective Kemal Kayankaya might not know when it’s recycling day, but now he has to help four eco-terrorists beat a murder rap...

Wisecracking PI Kemal Kayankaya cares more about sausage and beer than politics,
Published June 7th 2011 by Melville International Crime (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about More Beer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Beer

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Reader by Bernhard SchlinkThe Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John BoyneThe Lost Honor of Katharina Blum by Heinrich BöllThose Who Save Us by Jenna Blum
Novels Set in Germany
65th out of 265 books — 114 voters
Kismet by Jakob ArjouniDeath and the Penguin by Andrey KurkovHe Died with His Eyes Open by Derek RaymondBrenner and God by Wolf HaasThe Accidental Pallbearer by Frank Lentricchia
Melville International Crime
10th out of 29 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Steve Anderson
Private detective Kemal Kayankaya can’t help sticking his nose where things stink. In Jakob Arjouni’s tough and nonstop crime noir tale from 1987, four so-called eco-terrorists in West Germany are accused of murdering the head of a Frankfurt chemical company whose products should, in a just world, get it accused of crimes of its own.

The four suspects had sabotaged the company’s chemical plant, but they deny murdering anyone. A fifth man was seen at the crime, yet no one in authority seems willin
Betty
Having totally forgotten that I read the first in the series several years ago and was unimpressed, I believed the hype about Arjouni in a recent article. I continue to be underwhelmed. My main problem is that I do not like the detective. He seems to have no emotional connections, no family, no friends, not even any ex-wives. His strongest attachment is to Scotch, though he is not picky when it comes to alcohol. On the plus side, he does have a strong sense of justice and perseverance. Just not ...more
Linda
Four young people have been put on trial for the destruction of a sewage pipe at a chemical plant. The body of the owner was found a short way away from the pipe - shot to death. A couple camping near the polluted lake report that they saw a 5th person running from the scene after they had heard the shots and the explosion. The defense attorney isn't getting information that will help him in the defense because the 4 won't talk to him. So he hires a private investigator to find the 5th person.

T
Wal.li
Nochn Bier
Im Jahre des Herrn 1986 sprengen Umweltaktivisten das Abflussrohr einer kleinen Chemiefabrik in die Luft. Vier der Täter sind schnell gefasst. Sie werden auch des Mordes an dem Fabrikbesitzer angeklagt, der kurz nach der Explosion erschossen aufgefunden wird. Vehement bestreiten die jungen Leute diese Tat. Und hier kommt Kayankaya ins Spiel. Der Anwalt der Umweltschützer beauftragt ihn, den fünften Mann zu suchen.
Und dann beginnt der Leser über das deutsche Rechtssystem zu staunen. Kay
Larissa
Review of Melville House's new crime imprint and the Kayankaya series in particular (including Happy Birthday, Turk!, One Man, One Murder, More Beer, and Kismet) published in The L Magazine. See review (here: http://goo.gl/qJ5RD) or full text below.

***

“Crime=Culture.” So says Dumbo publisher Melville House about their new imprint, Melville International Crime. MIC represents the publisher’s latest venture to expand their existing catalog of fiction in translation, but although Melville House has
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Kemal Kayankaya, PI
SETTING: Frankfurt, Germany
SERIES: #2 of 5
RATING: 3.25
WHY: Four eco-terrorists sabotage a chemical plant, and a man is murdered. PI Kemal Kayankaya suspects that there was a fifth man involved. Kayankaya is a Turk by birth, which leads to interesting interactions as he investigates. I liked the noir overtones of the book but felt that the conclusion fell apart a bit as Kayankaya faced beatings and more.
Tyler Jones
Having read and enjoyed two other books in the Kayankaya series I came to this expecting the same level of plotting, characterization and social commentary. I was very disappointed. The plot makes little or no sense. It is as if Arjouni wrote the book in one sitting, with no plot outline, making it up on the fly. What is far worse is that our hero, Kemal Kayankaya, has somehow lost all the wit and honor he shows in the other books in the series and resembles the very bullies and boors that he us ...more
Jeremy Hornik
A new mystery series!(To me, anyway... it was written in the '80s.) A Turkish private eye in Germany solves the murder of the owner of a chemical plant. This book would have left wing politics if it wasn't so deeply disgusted with life. (It reminds me of Hammett, in that and many other ways.) But the main character comes by his alienation as honestly and thoroughly as any private eye I can remember. Holey plot, lots of drinking, violence, self-loathing. Short -- it took about two hours from cove ...more
Jay McNair
From the first sentences I could tell I'd like it—fast-moving, wry, and dark without overwhelming. One of the more breathlessly what-happens-next books that I've read in a while. In this translation the sentences are sharp and punchy. I've never read crime fiction before, and I loved how it follows clear genre stereotypes. Textbook example of E.M. Forster's mix of "flat" and "round" characters. Just plain fun.
Jan Brooks
Detective seemed pretty familiar--in a Philip Marlow / Colombo / Humphrey Bogart kind of way. Writing was ok, story was ok, but I guess I wanted more from the character than his weaknesses. Yeah he likes booze and women--why? So what? Kind of an interesting premise, just left me wanting to know more, which I guess in a way is good. Might want to read more in the series.
Stephanie
I've made three attempts to read this book. Everything about it suggests it should appeal to me, but I can't seem to get into it. I even tried reading it in German in case the translation was just bad. No luck. I might give it one more try, but I'm not hopeful...
Alan
Another in an enjoyable series. The plot was better in this book than some of his others - very Raymond Chandler like in the plot twists and the way the characters fit into the story.
Andrea
Herrlich dreckiger Detektiv-Roman, ganz im Stil der alten Helden. Auf allen Ebenen völlig überzogen und unrealistisch, wunderbar schnelle Unterhaltungs-Lektüre.
Aurora  Fitzrovia
war absolut nicht meins und so toll gelesen, wie ich es wegen dem Sprecher Rufus Beck erwartet hatte, fand ich es leider auch nicht...
Edmund
a genius work of genius translated by a genius translator of genius. Just read it you jerk!
Karsten olson
According to this book, Germans are racist towards Turks. Shocker.
Karmen
This edition is much better translated.
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Ursina
Ursina added it
Aug 19, 2015
Mina Wael
Mina Wael marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Corinne
Corinne marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Kathy
Kathy is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Brad
Brad added it
Jun 10, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
May 21, 2015
Squirrel
Squirrel marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
  • Self's Deception (Gerhard Self #2)
  • Der Knochenmann (Brenner, #2)
  • The Book of Franza and Requiem for Fanny Goldmann
  • Briefe in die chinesische Vergangenheit
  • La solitudine del manager
  • Penthesilea: A Tragic Drama
  • Arnes Nachlaß
  • Cave Canem (Felidae, #3)
  • Brigitta
  • Tristan
  • Die Strudlhofstiege oder Melzer und die Tiefe der Jahre
  • The Spider's Web
  • The Night at the Crossroads
Jakob Arjouni (alias of Jakob Bothe) published his first novel Happy Birthday, Türke! (1985) at the age of 20.Later he wrote his first play Die Garagen. He became famous after publishing his criminal novel Kayankaya, which was then translated into 10 different languages.

In 1987, he received the Baden-Württembergischen Autorenpreis für das deutschsprachige Jugendtheater for his play Nazim schiebt
More about Jakob Arjouni...

Kayankaya (5 books)
  • Happy Birthday, Türke!
  • One Man, One Murder
  • Kismet
  • Brother Kemal (Kayankaya, #5)
Happy Birthday, Türke! Kismet Magic Hoffmann Idiots: Five Fairy Tales and Other Stories One Man, One Murder