The Green Mother Goose: Saving the World One Rhyme at a Time

The Green Mother Goose: Saving the World One Rhyme at a Time

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Together we'll do it-
We'll help save the earth…
Come now, rhyme with me,
Let's turn our hearts loose,
And fly 'round the world
With Green Mother Goose.

Mother Goose has gone green-and this playful picture book invites kids to join the fun. In these delightful “recycled” rhymes, Old Mother Hubbard shops with cloth grocery bags; Old King Coal is a better old soul, working to keep...more
Published April 5th 2011 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about The Green Mother Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Mother Goose

Elias Zapple's Rhymes from the Cabbage Patch by Elias ZappleThe True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by Jon ScieszkaHumpty Dumpty Climbs Again by Dave HorowitzThe Top Secret Files Of Mother Goose! by Gabby GoslingDetective Blue by Steve Metzger
Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme Adaptations
20th out of 33 books — 25 voters
The Lorax by Dr. SeussThe Great Kapok Tree by Lynne CherryOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Carrot Seed by Ruth KraussUno's Garden by Graeme Base
"Green" Picture Books
113th out of 135 books — 86 voters

More lists with this book...

Christiane
I like Mother Goose rhymes and I don't like folks messing around with them. I also don't like didactic children's books so it's not surprising I did not like this. I certainly agree with the message, and the illustrations are really charming, but the rhymes are bad, in some cases just painful. For example, from "Old Mother Hubbard": "She markets today/With cloth shopping bags,/And when she gets home/Her dog is all wags!" Or from "Old King Coal": "Now Old King Coal is a better old soul,/A better...more
Peacegal
The message may be a little didactic for adults, and some of the contents will probably go over the heads of the younger tots. (Doubtful those who would be into Mother Goose-anything would be able to grasp the concepts of coal-fired plants, global warming, or eco-friendly energy sources.)

However, I was so pleased to see food issues addressed in a picture book--which, despite the fact that everyone eats, is still a rarity. We meet unhealthy Jack Sprat, who gorges on fast food, while his healthier...more
Alex Konieczny
For those carbon conscience kids out there, The Green Mother Goose is bot a blessing and a curse. As a collection of poetry outright, it never elevates itself above the standard rhymey fare one comes to expect of churned out children's poetry collections. In fact, most of it is just revamped poetry from nursery rhymes long past. The art though is pretty cool, opening an interesting discussion about how to create 2D pieces, with reused materials. This one gets by on charm, though if you are a out...more
Angie
Was not a super big fan of it at first but then it started to grow on me.

Of course, one must remember that kids have to know the original nursery rhymes before they can even begin to think "fractured" ones are funny.

I liked the one about Jack Sprat eating lots of fast food fat and his wife eating leafy greens. Then he grows out of his jeans.

Can't remember the rhyme but little Jack Horner changes all of his lightbulbs to compact fluorescent. It actually works for the most part.
Jocelin
All I can say is WHY!!!??? Is this really necessary that we have to ruin classic Mother Goose tales by making them "green". I think getting children to think about their environment is great but, why did you have to take it out on Mother Goose. It would have been just as nice if you had the classic tales written on an eco-friendly book; using recycled paper and soy ink. Mother Goose is fine and her stories didn't need to be "recycled".
Randie
Peck, Davis, and Berger make a fabulous trio. Their combined efforts resulted in several well-written poems promoting "green" living and collage-like illustrations created through recycling. The book is fairly preachy but the message is needed and well-delivered. My favorites were "Here We Go Round the Neighborhood," "Jack Be Nimble," and "This is Our Garden Earth."
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
The book takes traditional nursery rhymes and adds a twist - making a point to emphasize environmental themes and concerns and how to better support the environment. Some of the changes read smoothly and will be easily grasped by children. Others might be more difficult to read aloud and may need an explanation by an adult.
Cynthia
Mother Goose
Peck, J. & Davis, D. The Green Mother Goose: Saving the World One Rhyme at a Time (New York; Sterling, 2011)
The Green Mother Goose is an Earth friendly version of traditional Mother Goose rhymes. Favorites like Mary Had a LIttle Lamb and Jack and Jill are given a spin with Earth friendly lines like "At the top, they saved each drop". This is a great book to add to any collection and it's definitely a great book to read on Earth Day, or any day. The book it self is printed on pape...more
Holly
David Davis along with Jan Peck (Bankstreet College put her on "Best Children's Books of the Year" list!) wrote this book. One aspect that is really cool and could be talked about with students, is the fact that the illustrations were recycled materials -newspapers and movie stubs etc. This book is a spin on Mother Goose rhymes with environmental messages for kids. Jack and Jill go up on a hill and not only fetch water, they save every drop! Jack Sprat learns how to eat healthier from his wife w...more
Melissa
this is so poorly written, I couldn't help but laugh my way through it.
Ivette Zerpa
I Think That It Was Cute How They Got All These Poems And Just Changed Up The Words A Little And Adding Things About The Climate.
Isa Wilson
I don't have a problem with authors changing nursery rhymes or fairy tales--it's called fracturing and has its place in literature. Instead of making me think these were "bad" rhymes, it made me realize that nursery rhymes in general aren't that great--just catchy. I liked "Little Jack Horner" the best. I agree that the quality isn't blow me away type stuff, although the illustrations are quirky and fun. And it not BAD, either. I think a lot of ones opinion on this book depends on whether you li...more
Myriam B.
"If All the World Were Stinky"

If all the world were stinky,
And our water black as ink,
If toxic rains filled up our drains,
What would we have to drink?

If all the world were stinky,
Our skies fouled without care,
If there were no trees in the summer breeze,
What would we breathe for air?

I like this poetry because it help me understand how important it is to keep our environment clean from polution and to recycle so we can keep our trees alive.
Deborah Lightfoot
Smart, funny, tongue-in-cheek sophisticated, and gently subversive. The rhymes are a riot, and the message is thought-provoking. We can all do more to help "Our Garden Earth." I gave a copy to each of my nieces to share with their young children. This is a book for all ages. Veteran Green Warriors will get as much out of it as will fresh-faced preschoolers who are just now learning to "Re-Re-Recycle!" Highly recommended.
Muffet Frische
What a great new take on ageless nursery rhymes! Well done Jan and David!
Wendy Jones
I adore this book! It is so cute! It has all the traditional Mother Goose rhymes with a whole new twist! It's all about rhymes having to do with recycling and saving the earth. It's so great! I would use this with any elementary age children. The younger children would live the rhymes and the older children would enjoy this fun way of learning the standards on recycling.
Shannon
I almost couldn't finish this book. It was that bad. It was every piece of bad environmentalist jargon linked to a timeless children's rhyme for impressiveness. UGH! Is this a joke? Seriously?

I'm upgrading it a star because the art is pretty neat and at least the authors had a sense of rhythm and rhyme.
Paul Delacruz
This book will help young children learn about being environmentally green to their environment they will live in. The rhymes are nicely written and the illustrations are good too. There are some words in there you may have to explain what they mean, but that is part of the fun in reading to kids.
Vicky Skinner
I'm really on the fence with this one. I loved the illustrations and the creativity, but I wasn't impressed with the message, to be honest. While I completely agree with teaching our children to take care of our earth, what child is going to know what a compact florescent is? Perhaps I'm wrong.
Kathryn Sublett
Teachers could use this book to get students to identify ways to protect the environment. Students could use this book as a reference for creating a slogan to get their class or school to go green. This would be appropriate for students in third grade.
Sara-jane Walsh
I love the face that this is an eco-friendly book. It's printed on recycled paper with agri-based inks, with art made from creatively recycled materials. Then to top it off it's a take off of the classic mother goose and who doesn't love a good rhyme?
Noel Echols
Love it!! This adorable book is filled with great poems and illustrations. It could be used in any grade to teach students the importance of taking care of our mother earth. (specifically life science 3rd grade)
Alyson
Way to ruin some nursery rhymes. This completely did not work for me. Nursery rhymes - great for toddlers. Compact flourescents, compost piles and coal-fired plants are for a much different audience.
Lynda Shoup
This is a book I would love to share with my environmentally conscious friends - young and older. Whether you know the nursery rhymes they are based on or not, this book has a positive message.
Aubrey
I thought it was rather cute and clever to teach kids about the environment and ways to give back, by taking classic children's rhymes and giving them a "green" twist. :)
Lynn
Good idea and illustrations but many of the rhymes are hard to repeat correctly and don't make clear sense.
Melissa
Can we please agree to leave Mother Goose alone now?

Carin Berger is great, as always, though.
Mark
PC rhymes on recycling, conserving, etc. Good for younger ears, a bit preachy for me.
Katie
Really clever "green" adaptations of Mother Goose rhymes just in time for Earth Day!
Jessica
Contains some pretty some hilarious takes on traditional Mother Goose Rhymes.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David Davis, known for his keen sense of humor and lyrical style, has written several titles in Pelican's Night Before Christmas Series, including Redneck Night Before Christmas, Trucker's Night Before Christmas, and Nurse's Night Before Christmas. His books Ten Redneck Babies and Jazz Cats were both named to the Children's Choice Top 100 List. A finalist for the Texas Golden Spur Award, Jazz Cats...more
More about David Davis...
Librarian's Night Before Christmas Fandango Stew Showdown at Shepherd's Bush: The 1908 Olympic Marathon and the Three Runners Who Launched a Sporting Craze Redneck Night Before Christmas The Twelve Days of Christmas--In Texas, That Is