Start by marking “The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Man Who Made Husba...

Jilly Cooper

The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous (Rutshire Chronicles #4)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,741 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Lysander Hawkley combined breathtaking good looks with the kindest of hearts. He couldn't pass a stray dog or a neglected wife without rushing to the rescue – leaving him awash with cash, polo ponies, yachts and Ferraris given to him by grateful wives.
Audio Cassette, Complete & Unabridged, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1994 by Isis Audio Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous

Amy Jones
BUT WHAT HAPPENS TO KITTY AND LYSANDER? WHAT HAPPENS TO GEORGIE AND DAVID AND RANNALDINI AND HERMIONE AND BOB? Gah. I need to read another one.
Amanda
Here we go again with another hefty tome concerning rich people, fast lifestyles and rampant infidelity. In fact, infidelity is rather the theme of the book - Lysander Hawkley is making a living from lonely housewives in the village of Paradise, improving their appearance, making them desirable and encouraging their husbands to come home. The problem is, he never anticipated falling in love with one of them...

I have a lot of issues with this book, hence the low rating compared to the other novel
Dangermousie
This is probably my favorite Jilly Cooper book, even if it isn't one of her most famous ones. It's just so funny and sweet and with a creeptastic undertone and I adore the protagonists.

Lysander Hawkley is gorgeous and ridiculously nice. He's also not the sharpest tool in the drawer, can't read or write in any coherent matter due to dyslexia, and is incapable of holding down a job or even function much in real world due to just losing interest and not keeping track of anything. Luckily, his fed-u
Meryan
Lysader Hawkley a gorgeous young man who cannot resist anything in trouble,be it an ill treated animal or a helpless mistreated woman he had to help them all,oftentimes getting himself in trouble.He finds himself at 22 dealing with the death a a mother he adored,out of work,drinking to much and in debt.His friend Ferdie comes up with a plan for Lysander to get paid for making these husbands jealous.They go to ritzy Rutshire and set Lysader loose.The problem is he falls in love with the women who ...more
Eve
Always fantastic.

I liked how Lysander's trendiness and tenderness was evinced by his propensity to preface honest statements with 'basically'. I liked the puppy-dog disposition of his character, that matched the roiling bubble of fluff that was Kitty. As always, I tend to gloss over the details about horse events, because they're beyond me. I love reading the word 'chukka' though. I like the descriptions of clothing: silk camisoles, polo shirts. I love how everyone is always 'drenching', 'dousi
caty
This is the fourth in the Rutshire Chronicles, and the only one in the series I hadn’t yet read. And it is by far my least favourite. This book is nothing but sex. Lysander, hopelessly gorgeous and in desperate need of cash, is persuaded to ‘pretend’ to date married women to tempt their cheating husbands back home. Usually it’s successful, but usually there is little pretense behind Lysander’s relationships either. Randaldinni makes his first proper appearance, but I found I detested him even mo ...more
Dark-Draco
Lysander Hawkley doesn't have a lot going for him - apart from his looks. Dyslexic, reeling from the death of his mother, unable to talk to his father and hopeless with money, even his best friend, Ferdie, despairs for him. But Ferdie comes up with a brilliant plan - there are a lot of cheating husbands in Rutshire. With Lysander hanging around their wives, getting them fit, making them look good, the husbands soon come back - and the wives will pay for it. Lysander is too soft, falling for each ...more
Val
I bought this book after watching the film and fell in love with the lead character. You really need to read all the other books that revolve around these characters. Although each book stands on its own, reading the other volumes help expand each of the characters and you will end up understanding why certain characters are the way they are in this environment.

It is based on the horse crowd in UK and takes in a concert pianist and his troubles and other offshoots such as a self-made millionair
Nicola Hession-Kent
I know there are die hard Jill Cooper fans out there, and I was convinced I would be one of them, but no. I tried and tried to get into this book but couldn't. There aren't many books that I can say I have started and not finished, but this is one of them. I just really didn't like the style, storyline, anything. Sorry!
Vicky
Only Jilly Cooper could write about sex using the analogy of an otter frolicking on a riverbank and joyously plunging into... Anyway, perhaps addressing the fact that her previous books were called rather racy, this book is all about sex. Some romance, a fair amount of deception, and lots of bantering betweek sparky characters. And just one or two ponies.

The characters are engaging, and despite both Rannaldini and Hermione being grotesque caracatures, utterly believable. You become drawn into th
Kate
As with all of this series, Jilly Cooper manages to capture thd readers attention, with incredibly realistic characters, intriguing plots and just a little bit of cheese.
I would highly recommend her books to anyone who enjoys reading without taking themselves too seriously.
JFN
If you like ridiculous trash or wasting your time or are at all interested in casting off a few burdensome IQ points, this book is for you. Though it's not even well-done, rollicking fun, wholesome-guilty-pleasure ridiculous trash, like Cooper's other book I read, Riders, which is like Pulitzer worthy compared to this soppy, far-fetched, ponderous behemouth. Still, I finished it -- read all 700+ pages, because I actually cared how it turned out for some strange reason.

The inferiority of this boo
Mofe
Light humorous hearted and humorous romance novel . Some characters such as Sir Roberto and Hermione stand out. It offers an introduction to the world of Opera, conducting and Polo.
Abby Jean
totally chaotic, often made little sense, wrapped up only a few of the storylines, but was great for travel reading.
Saren
Jilly Cooper's books are so addictive - like watching a TV series. The absolute ridiculousness of the Valhalla Nativity had me in stitches!
Julia
Never get bored of these series of Jill's books!
Virginija
Hi,

This book was my best friend for almost a month :D cause I just started to read books in English, and man, this book was not a very simple for me.. though, I enjoyed it so much! even when I wasn't reading it I thought a lot about characters, what will happen more....
so, to conclude, I had awesome time with this book, which I named "my not little dirty book" :DD
Marni
Disclaimer: I am NOT a fan of the Jackie Collins, Danielle Steel type of book. When I picked this up at a used bookstore in Toronto a zillion years ago or and looked at the back I thought it might be a fun summer read. Well it was a total blast--lots of crazy self-absorbed characters but also some down to earth ones as well. Layers and layers of insanit. Great beach trash!
Jennifer Meech
I read this book only because my best friend begged me to. I hated it at first, mostly because it is just not the sort of book I would normally read. By halfway I wasn't sure I could be bothered finishing but I concede now that towards the end I found it hard to put down. Yes it's a trashy romp, but if you expect nothing more than that it's a fun read!
Tina86
Glad to have finally finished this book. I didn’t think it was as good as the other Jilly Cooper novels I have read as I thought it dragged on a little in some parts.

Jilly’s books are always enjoyable and I recommend to anyone who enjoys books of the chick lit genre!
Katie Cordes
this would be the book i was in the middle of reading when i told a guy in the middle of hooking up (as i was semi-dozing) that i knew about him and my mother. wow. very good, not my favorite of the series. still worth the read.
Rabia Bashir
I remember reading this in my late teens - I was enthralled! It has since become one of those books that I would class as a guilty pleasure. But I'm here now, publicly declaring it as one of my all time favourite page turners!
Tasneem
I love Jilly Cooper's passion, romance, British humour and the world that she creates. Her people are totally believable. They are real, with real emotions, petty, yet still worthy of affection.
Alan Hunt
This was ok. I never really got hooked on Lysander and again I compared this with her trio of Riders, Rivals and Polo and found it short. Wasn't a bad read and her use of language is spot-on.
Racquel McDonnell
Liked it but not as much as the others, couldn't get over the fact that someone could get on a crazy horse and ride to her lover, personally would just go in the car or take to safe nag.
JanDean
Not terribly well written and too long, but the lead character is gorgeous. How could any woman resist him! Not only great to look at, but a real master in the bedroom as well!
Deeze
What can I say, Lysander is almost the perfect guy. Hot, fit, gorgeous and with a heart of gold, a real sweetie. This is my second favorite book by Jilly Cooper.
Zoey
Sep 07, 2012 Zoey rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jilly Cooper Fans
Another romp through the Rutshire country side with Jilly Cooper. Though not as good as the first 3 in the series (Riders, Rivals & Polo) still a fun read.
Tracey Jackson
I have always loved Jilly Cooper and this book was not a disappointment. Lots of twists and turns. Very 'hot and spicy' in parts!
Steff
My all time favourite JC book! Lysander is quite simply one of the most lovable characters in chicklit! Would make a smashing movie.
  • Well Groomed
  • Hollywood Husbands
  • An Outrageous Affair
  • Horse Play
  • Open House
  • Lace
  • A Kept Woman
  • Princess Daisy
Jilly Cooper, OBE (born February 21, 1937) is an English author. She started her career as a journalist and wrote numerous works of non-fiction before writing several romance novels, the first of which appeared in 1975. She is most famous for writing the six blockbuster novels the Rutshire Chronicles.
More about Jilly Cooper...
Riders (Rutshire Chronicles, #1) Rivals (Rutshire Chronicles #2) Polo (Rutshire Chronicles #3) Wicked! (Rutshire Chronicles #8) Score!