Start by marking “Do Less, Achieve More: Discover the Hidden Power of Giving In” as Want to Read:
Do Less, Achieve More: Discover the Hidden Power of Giving In

Do Less, Achieve More: Discover the Hidden Power of Giving In

Self-Help, Spirituality, Philosophy
Published October 1st 2000 by Harper Paperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Do Less, Achieve More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do Less, Achieve More

Kirtida Gautam
May 04, 2016 Kirtida Gautam rated it liked it
I loved-- and I mean LOVED Thick Face, Black Heart-- and that is the ONLY reason why I am giving this book a 3 stars and not 4 starts. I liked this book, it's one of the good books I read this year, but it is no where close to the first book I read of Chin Ning Chu. I will still read the Asian Mind Game because this is a good book, there is hardly any doubts there.
Gregg Bell
Dec 05, 2013 Gregg Bell rated it really liked it

Okay let's face it. Self-help books need catchy titles. "Do Less, Achieve More" is no exception. (If you think about the logical progression of this title, it would be "Do Nothing, Achieve Everything.") (And now that I think about it, that would be the sort of book I'd be interested in.) But this is a good book.

And one of the reason's it's good is because the author speaks her mind. Often in a desultory fashion, but there is more than enough good here to offset the bad. I'm not sure what the ove

Robin
Jul 26, 2009 Robin rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
While perusing the Self-Help section of the library, I chose this book because it was succinct and well-organized. Each section header clearly states what you will find in that section, and sections are small, generally under two pages. A folk tale of a Rainmaker’s success story is used throughout the chapters as an example of achievement based upon doing less—-or at least doing less outwardly.

The first few chapters offer good advice without wasting words in long explanations. Chu explores theme
Devika Koppikar
Oct 14, 2010 Devika Koppikar rated it it was amazing
A great book on time management and getting optimum results. These days, people tend toward "do, do, do and die," rather than visualizing, contemplating and working toward greater goals. This book tells you that working hard is not about going through long hours of motion - but really focusing on what energizes you.

Some tips I liked:

* When looking at your to-do list, select the item that energizes you the most and do that first.

* If you leave your desk in the middle of a task, keep saying out
Elisabeth
Jan 17, 2010 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
Smart author of self-help book on how to breakthrough the excessive distractions of modern life so as to pursue what is central to you and finding the time in which to do it. One chapter which is particularly interesting advises directed dreaming, which for me was very useful. The idea is that you put down those things you want to accomplish for the next day on a piece of paper and let your mind work on how to do it, so that the next day you're already ready to tackle the task.
LemontreeLime
Jan 04, 2014 LemontreeLime rated it it was ok
I find myself a little disappointed with this one. It read more like one of the many new age motivational texts so popular in the past ten years, it did not feel original to me. But perhaps that says more about my reading than her writing. I will chalk this one up to my not being the optimal target audience and someone else may really dig this.
Jen Berthold
Mar 04, 2012 Jen Berthold rated it it was amazing
What an awesome book. This is one I read over and over again. So much so I kept getting fined for returning it overdue to the library and finally got my own copy for Christmas.
Whenever I feel like I am beating my head against a brick wall this is the book I pull out. It helps put everything in perspective.
Kenneth Knudson
Jan 09, 2015 Kenneth Knudson rated it really liked it
This book offers great insights on how to find inner peace. My favorite chapter was the introduction to the life of George Washington. Chu uses Washington to show that many people go through three cycles: hunger, despair, and surrender. Washington hungered for political power. After he received it, he realized that responsibility can be hard. Then he goes through the other two cycles.
Meko
Dec 22, 2010 Meko rated it really liked it
The first time I read it is 2 years before and I read it again recently.
It is very easy to understand but it seems covering too many information. After finished the whole book, I can really recall what I have learnt from it.
However, it still a good book to keep and read for life.
Amy Bermudez
Jan 18, 2013 Amy Bermudez rated it it was ok
Some parts really resonated with me. A lot of parts didn't. I wouldn't reread this book, but I'm glad I read it the one time that I did.
Suresh
Aug 22, 2010 Suresh rated it really liked it
It explains concepts from Eastern spirituality/philosophy that can aid us in our growth. By following the natural laws one can find how things get accomplished harmoniously and holistically.
Marc Anderson
Marc Anderson rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2014
RJM 9977
RJM 9977 rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
A
A rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Advinya
May 06, 2013 Advinya marked it as to-read
It is a good book.
Jb Smith
Jb Smith rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Bookworm708
Bookworm708 rated it liked it
May 24, 2013
Winsome
Winsome rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Vince Reyes
Vince Reyes rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2015
Jüri Käosaar
Jüri Käosaar rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2016
Kevin Kay
Kevin Kay rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2009
Sarah rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2011
Donniebrasco
Donniebrasco rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Khairu
Khairu rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2012
Brice
Brice rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Beyond Positive Thinking: A No-Nonsense Formula for Getting the Results You Want
  • Опыт дурака, или ключ к прозрению
  • Do One Thing Different: Ten Simple Ways to Change Your Life
  • The Cambridge World History of Food 2 Part Boxed Hardback Set
  • Quinine: Malaria and the Quest for a Cure That Changed the World
  • God Wears Lipstick: Kabbalah for Women
  • Dare to Fail
  • Creative Advertising: Ideas and Techniques from the World's Best Campaigns
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • The Rules of Parenting: A Personal Code for Raising Happy Confident Children
  • Choice Cuts: A Savory Selection of Food Writing from Around the World and Throughout History
  • Curious?: Discover the Missing Ingredient to a Fulfilling Life
  • The Martha Rules
  • Man Meets Dog
  • Uprising: How to Build a Brand--and Change the World--By Sparking Cultural Movements
  • Lords Of The Rim
  • The Rules for Marriage: Time-Tested Secrets for Making Your Marriage Work
  • What About the Big Stuff?: Finding Strength and Moving Forward When the Stakes Are High