Start by marking “Waking Up With the Duke (London's Greatest Lovers, #3)” as Want to Read:
Waking Up With the Duke (London's Greatest Lovers, #3)

Waking Up With the Duke (London's Greatest Lovers #3)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,980 Ratings  ·  310 Reviews
They are masters of seduction, London's greatest lovers ...
Renowned for his bedchamber prowess, Ransom Seymour, the Duke of Ainsley, owes a debt to a friend. But the payment expected is most shocking, even to an unrepentant rake—for he's being asked to provide his friend's exquisite wife with what she most dearly covets: a child.

Living for pleasure, they will give their
Published June 28th 2011 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Waking Up With the Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waking Up With the Duke

The Duke and I by Julia QuinnA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtWhitney, My Love by Judith McNaughtSomething Wonderful by Judith McNaughtAlmost Heaven by Judith McNaught
Dukes... Bring 'em on!
18th out of 331 books — 641 voters
A Lot like Love by Julie JamesEleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLeanThe Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonCall Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsJust Like Heaven by Julia Quinn
2011 Romance
29th out of 393 books — 829 voters

More lists with this book...

Daniella
Dec 25, 2015 Daniella rated it did not like it
Warning: This review is filled with spoilers, profanities, and graphic threats of violence against a specific character that would make Hannibal proud. If you still want read on, go ahead, but don't say I didn't warn you. This won't be pretty, because I'm writing this while I'm mad as hell. In fact, here's a preview of what's to come:
description

I respect Lorraine Heath's storytelling abilities very much. So much so, in fact, that I always take a risk with her, even if the premise of her stories would norma
Jen (Red Hot Books)
May 28, 2011 Jen (Red Hot Books) rated it really liked it
As much as I love Regency Romance novels, most of them have two things in common that I could really live without: A young innocent, virginal heroine... and a long, long wait for a sexual payoff. The first, I find unrelatable and get somewhat irritated that an insipid 19 year-old is the "woman" I'm supposed to rooting for. The second generally makes me impatient and frustrated.

It would be easy to say I was crazy about this book because it features a grown woman with a sexual history --and becau
Christine
Jan 02, 2015 Christine rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
I must confess that I had my doubts about this book from the moment I read the synopsis. I don't think I would have picked it up were I not familiar with this author, and particularly had I not read the prequels to this novel. Maybe that means it simply wasn't for me to begin with, but I did want to read Ainsly's story.

Here's the premise: Jane's husband is paralyzed and can't get her pregnant. He wants her to have a child, so he convinces his cousin, the Duke of Ainsly, to do the deed for him. J
Caz
The TBR Challenge for June was to read a book by an author who has More Than One book in my TBR pile. Having thoroughly enjoyed Lorraine Heath’s recent Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James series, I have purchased a number of her other books and picked this title from 2011, hoping for more of her excellent, emotionally charged storytelling.

Well. Emotionally charged it certainly was – and then some – and even though I got choked up on several occasions, Waking Up With the Duke was thoroughly enjoy
Jill
Jul 13, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it
Ransom Seymour, the Duke of Ainsley has always admired his cousin Walfort's wife, Jayne. But he feels guilty and responsible for his cousin's confinement to a wheelchair for the last three years. Afterall, he was the one driving the curricle drunkenly and recklessly that had crashed pinning Walfort underneath. But friendship, loyalty, guilt and even attraction to Jayne are not enough for Ainsley to seriously consider his cousin's plan.

Jayne has always wanted children, but that dream is now impos
KatLynne
After reading the synopsis I was a bit skeptical about the story but as soon as I started reading the book all my doubts were forgotten. It’s not often that I sit down with a book that involves infidelity. And what made this one work for me is the omission of the heartbreaking deception that is always present when a partner strays.

The betrayal of the wedding vows is proposed by the heroine’s husband, Walfort. Being paralyzed due to a reckless accident and haunted by guilt of tremendous proportio
Duchess Nicole
This was SOOOOO much better than the first two books!!! And I suggest skipping them altogether if you are so inclined, just to get to Ainsley. The youngest brother, he has been the constant voice of reason, so steadfast and responsible in his Duke-ly duties. He is old beyond his years.

For the last three years, the Duke of Ainsley has felt responsible for the accident that robbed his cousin of his ability to walk...after all, he was holding the reins, and drinking while doing so. The acc
Dinjolina
I have waited so long for this book and the blurb for it made me pre-order!

But,but...but...oh...but!

After reading it I have this bitter sweet taste in my mouth and while I write this rew I almost wish I never read it. The love story between the hero and heroine was very sweet and it satisfied me. If I was to rate only them and maybe the duke's mother and Leo then I would have given it nothing under 4 stars, maybe even 5. But alas, as the author sates in the end of the book she was fascinated wit
*MariaA*
Nov 04, 2013 *MariaA* rated it it was amazing
"A RARE GEM OF A BOOK"
It's a 6 star book for me,,i have read countless historical romances and used to think none can match Judith Mcnaught's writings since she truly is queen of HR's but this is one book that really matches up her mark.
Lorraine Heath outdid herself in this one,i found the plot extremely different from the usual HR plots(and they are very predictable), i fell in love with Ainsley and Jayne ,it was so well scripted that one could feel the sparks flying and i hung on to everyword
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
I love this book! Lorraine Heath proves yet again why she is one of favourite authors with this beautifully written and wonderfully romantic love story.

Ainsley really made this book for me. He’s such a wonderful hero; a tender, sweet, caring man. I love how he treats Jayne with such patience and sensitivity; how he is totally devoted to fulfilling her every desire; how he makes her feel treasured.

He wanted her to have happiness. He wanted to give her what Walfort could not, regardless of the cos
Sammy
Dec 23, 2015 Sammy rated it did not like it
This book made me feel, for a lack of a better term, like crap. The heroine was stripped off her dignity by the betrayal of her husband and it was not fully restored by the end of the book. My biggest issue here is the lack of respect for the heroine. No amount of hot sex scenes, or passionate confessions could erase the fact that she was disrespected in such a bad way, and I just cannot tolerate that in a romance novel.
Buggy
Jul 17, 2014 Buggy rated it it was amazing
Opening Line: “I’ll consider your debt paid in full if you get my wife with child.”

Big Sigh* Oh this was just so good. Absolutely perfect romance filled with great dialogue and moments of humour amidst all the angst. Loved everything about it, and really, really wondered how this couple was going to get their HEA? Totally surprised by the outcome. Did not see that coming! What does one read next after such a perfect story? Thank you Lorraine Heath.
Charlotte Featherstone
24 pages in and already my emotions and heart are engaged! I need to slow down, to take my time and absorb it, savor it like a decadent piece of chocolate. A nearly impossible task, Heath writing is that good! And Ainsley is that perfect!
Rach~The Highlander luverrr
SIMPLY AMAZING... one of the best HR's ive read in a long time
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Oct 23, 2015 Wollstonecrafthomegirl rated it really liked it
Viohlet
Jacqueline
Wonderful. This is an angsty read about a woman married to a man who had been injured in a carriage accident and is unable to make his wife pregnant. In order to make her happy, he asks his cousin/best friend to give her a baby. Because the cousin, Ainsley, was the one driving the carriage, he feels guilty and agrees. He has also been almost in love with his cousin's wife for years and will do anything to make her happy. There is a lot of heartbreak and angst as the 3 of them arrange and commit ...more
Bright Star Review
Jun 28, 2011 Bright Star Review rated it it was amazing
WOW!! This is my first book I have read from Lorraine Heath and I really enjoyed it. I thought that this book was going to be a little different however, I loved the plot and the developement of all the characters.

-------- Spoliers!--------------------------------------------------
The story began when Ransom Seymour, the Duke of Ainsley known as Ainsley must repay his debt from his cousin/best friend Marquess of Walfort aka Walfort. Walfort requires Ainsley to sleep with his wife Lady Jayne Seym
Anne OK
Aug 18, 2011 Anne OK rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
Absolutely captivating and enthralling from cover to cover. I know there are those readers who gave low ratings because of the "other family" and the "adultry" aspects but I didn't. It was a part of the story and those things happen in real life, whether we agree or disagree. I don't like a full menu of this type of story but variety within my reading choices. Infidelities of these types certainly happened with frequency in the time frame of this book. All the characters satisfied me in their de ...more
Cyn Mistress Kitty
5+++
This story ranks at one of the top of any HR story I have ever read. OMG, there was so much angst, emotion, secrets, betrayal and longing. I loved Ainsley, absolutely loved him. Could there be a more caring, loving, not to mention sexy hero as him? I don't think so. SIGH
I must say I was worried that this story wouldn't have a hea but I'm happy to say it does. Mercy, what they went through to get it though.
I haven't read the previous 2 stories but I just can't fathom how they could be as goo
Spacklefritz
May 05, 2012 Spacklefritz rated it liked it
Not sure what to rate it.

So regardless about my iffy status before reading the book, I ended up liking it. I wouldn't say was an incredible read, but it was good. I think Heath did a well job in portraying how the situation affected the three people involved, more focusing on Ainsley and Jayne.

They didn't jump into the situation immediately, and neither did they completely forget the world that they were in. They thought about it. Of course initially, Ainsley and Jayne were like wth?! (like the
Elise

This was my first time reading a Lorraine Heath book , when I first found out about it I got super excited about the plot and decided to buy it right away, forgoing my huge “to read” list I already have. It took me longer to read than other historical romances (which I usually engulf). I found myself skimming over certain parts because I just wanted to get to the ending.

The hero of this story is basically just perfect. He would do anything for the heroine… and he wasn’t afraid of falling in lov
Sandy M
Jun 30, 2011 Sandy M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
I absolutely love Lorraine Heath’s books. There hasn’t been one book so far that hasn’t drawn me in completely, always from the first page. Every time I become enmeshed in her characters’ lives, I cheer for them, I get angry with them, I grieve with them, I cry with them and so much more. This trilogy of London’s Greatest Lovers has been a special treat. With each book, the stakes are higher, the emotion is riskier, and the love is simply beautiful.

The Duke of Ainsley is the youngest of these th
Tracy Smith
Jun 29, 2011 Tracy Smith rated it it was amazing
Awakening desires and total fulfillment begins with "Waking Up With The Duke."

Guilt and a treasured friendship leads the Duke of Ainsley to make one of the most difficult decisions of his life. He must seduce his friend's wife, Lady Jayne, and give her a child. The Marquess of Walfort feels that he is owed this debt after being cut down in his prime resulting from an accident he claims is the fault of Ainsley. Will Lady Jayne and the Duke go through with such an unheard of request? How will the
Tina
Jul 10, 2011 Tina rated it it was amazing
Intensely romantic.

For me, the hero made the book. That is not to say I did not like the heroine Jayne. I thought she was pitch perfect. First as a wife who loves her husband through the 'sickness' part of 'sickness and health', second as an individual who has to weigh her wants and needs against loyalty and what she feels is conventionally proper, and finally as a woman who has to come to terms with a lot of emotional turmoil. Really Jayne did most of the emotional heavy lifting in this book.

B
Tammi
Feb 19, 2012 Tammi rated it really liked it
I stayed up until wee hours of the morning because I could not put this book down. Although I do warn you, have a box of tissue next to you for this one. In Stephan's book I cried once, when he kicked Mercy out. But in Ransom's book, I cried multiple times.

Ransom was already half in love with Jayne before his friend came up with the crazy idea to have Ransom impregnate Jayne. She loathed him, because she thought he was responsible for her husband's accident which left him without use of anythin
Hermione
3.5 stars. I can't quite bring myself to give it 4 stars, but Ainsley's story was more memorable than Westcliffe's. Though the angst, I swear, the prolonged angst in historical romance novels will be the death of me.

And yes, I skipped over Stephen's story because frankly I didn't much care for him as a character and the synopsis for his story didn't draw me in.
Linds
I like my romances....well, romantic. So I almost left this book aside after the first chapter because of the seedy premise. Three years after the an earl's paralyzing accident, he wants his wife to sleep with his cousin so that she can have children and he can have an heir of family blood.

I don't find that set up romantic at all, but Lorraine Heath, while some of her books are better then others, has never given me a dud. So I kept reading, and I'm glad I did.

The hero has a lot of guilt and ang
Maria
Aug 04, 2015 Maria rated it it was amazing
I can't believe how much I loved this series!! This book was amazing!
Elaine
I tried, I really did since I liked what I read of Ainsley in Passions of a Wicked Earl. Unfortunately, I couldn't bear to continue reading about how a married woman is to eventually fall for another guy because then I'll have to also wait for something/one to kill off her husband before there can be a HEA.

Nah.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 06, 2015 10:52AM
  • Pride & Passion (The Brethren Guardians, #2)
  • One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • Her Notorious Viscount (Stoneworth, #1)
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • How to Marry a Duke (How To #1)
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • Compromised
  • How to Woo a Reluctant Lady (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #3)
  • All About Seduction
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • A Midsummer Night's Sin (Blackthorn Brothers #2)
  • Soldier of Fortune (Rakes and Rogues of the Restoration, #2 )
  • Silk Is for Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor during
More about Lorraine Heath...

London's Greatest Lovers (3 books)
  • Passions of a Wicked Earl (London's Greatest Lovers, #1)
  • Pleasures of a Notorious Gentleman (London's Greatest Lovers, #2)

“I would rather be a cripple and have your love for all of a single moment than to live as I am without ever having it.” 20 likes
“She angled her chin proudly. “Very well. If you insist.
I’ve come to invite you to my wedding.”
He shook his head sadly. “That I cannot do, my
love.”
“But it shall be the talk of London. I want you there.
Desperately.”
He gazed out to the sea. “I never thought you to be
cruel, Tess. I can deny you nothing. But please don’t
ask this of me.”
“But if you’re not there, my dear, dear Leo, then
however shall I marry you?
She watched as the shock of her words rippled
over his beloved features.
“Me? But you always said no when I asked for your
hand.”
“I was a foolish woman. Lynnford was the love of my
youth. And as we have talked these many weeks as
we’ve not been able to talk in years, so we
discovered that neither of us is the person that each
of us fell in love with. We were holding onto someone
who no longer exists.” She took a tentative step
toward him. “You love me as I am now. And I shall love