The Bed and the Bachelor (The Byrons of Braeborne, #5)

The Bed and the Bachelor (The Byrons of Braebourne #5)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  520 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Everyone knows the Byron brothers are "mad, bad, and dangerous." But the devilishly desirable fourth son, Drake, is too scholarly to misbehave . . . or is he?

Lord Drake Byron has no time inhis busy life to worry about taking a wife.He is more interested in the unbreakablecode he has developed to defeat Napoleon'sforces. Little does he know that theirresistibly lovely new h...more
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published July 26th 2011 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Bed and the Bachelor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bed and the Bachelor

Mary Gramlich
THE BED AND THE BACHELOR written by Tracy Anne Warren
07/11 - HarperCollins Publishers - Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages

Will love always find the real you regardless of how many lies you tell to stay hidden?

Being devoted to her father and brothers should have helped Sebastianne Dumont but instead Sebastianne must become a deceitful, horrid spy to save her brothers from one man’s cruelty and exposing her brother’s to the torture of war. Sebastianne becomes Annie Greenway and finds herself in the...more
Kelly22
2.00 Stars - Regency Historical Romance!

This is the fifth installment of the series and tells the story of an intellectual aristocrat and a reluctant spy masquerading as a housekeeper.

Lord Drake Byron is a mathematician and a scientist who spends extensive hours devising and thinking over new whatever inventive he works on. He is currently working on a top secret cipher for the war department designed for the British government.

Sebastianne Dumont is his new housekeeper whom he hired against hi...more
Jacqueline
Pages survived: 30 Yeah. This book sucked.

Generally, when I give up on a book at thirty pages, it's typically for the exact same reason, regardless the particular novel; the characters bored me.

This is pretty pathetic, too, when considering the scope Warren had with which to work. To me, somehow, someway, the characters just were flat, and didn't jump off the page to me as being real people.
Allison
First of all, the title of this book is seriously stupid.

Next, there is no chemistry b/w the H and h. Nada.

The only reason I gave this book 2 stars instead of 1 is because it had a decent ending.

May
Ok, but all around underwhelming. No real emotion or showing as to why these two would be interested in each other.

But loved the reluctant spy approach.
Laurie
Aug 22, 2011 Laurie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
SidneyKay
Book Binge Blog
I was excited for this book to come out because I'm a fan of Drake. I've been itching to get his story and finally it came. Tracy Anne Warren has done wonders with this series because this is book 5 and I'm still salivating at the mouth for more. Drake is brother to Cade, Jack, Ned, Mallory and the rest of the mad Byrons. He's a mathmetician and is known for his distracted nature. He's usually buried in his codes and work but when his housekeeper up and left for greener pastures, he was stuck fi...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Sebastianne Dumont is, above all, loyal to her family. So when a villainous Frenchman threatens to imprison her father and conscript her young brothers to war, she agrees to his demands that she act as a spy. Sebastianne must infiltrate the home of Lord Drake and steal the special cyphers he has created for the English government.

She gets her foot in the door as a housekeeper, using a false identity. She actually does very well at the job, but it's far more labor intensive than she imagined. He...more
Melanie
I reviewed this book for Romance Reader At Heart website:

RRAH's THOUGHTS AND PONDERINGS:

The above blurb says it all, so I will not burden you with my own synopsis. However, I have to start this review with telling you that I have every book Ms. Warren has written, and while her Mistress series is still on my TBR pile, I've made sure to read her current Byrons of Braebourne series.

It all started with TEMPTED BY HIS KISS and Cade Byron's story, which was just so very, very good. Jack Byron's st...more
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Lover of Romance
Sebastianne has been forced to come to England and takes the position of Lord Drake Byron's housekeeper, so she can be a spy for France in order to save her family who are in danger if she doesn't get a certain piece of information. Only what she didn't expect was to be working for a man that is more tempting than she expected. Lord Drake knew that when Anne came into his office desiring the housekeeper position that she would present only problems if he hired her, but despite his inner turmoil,...more
LaFleurBleue
Quite average and very disappointing in comparison with the previous one.
The hero is supposedly extremely intelligent; however after realizing something very unusual happens (view spoiler), he never tried to dig into this mystery. Then the supposedly almost as intelligent fake housekeeper also did something perfectly stupid, convinced it is the only solution to her dilemna (view spo...more
Janga
Tracey Anne Warren introduced the Byrons in February 2009, describing them as a “tempestuous family—famous for scandal and legendary at love.” Thus far she has given us the story of Cade, son #2 (Tempted by His Kiss); Jack, son #3 (Seduced by His Touch); Edward, Duke of Clybourne, son #1(At the Duke’s Pleasure); Mallory, daughter #1(Wicked Delights of a Bridal Bed); and a short story about Byron cousin India, “Charmed by His Smile,” (which chronologically fits between Cade’s and Jack’s stories)...more
Megan
Dabney
Review published at All About Romance

Ms. Warren’s latest Byrons of Braebourne historical romance is proof that an author’s competency with prose doesn’t inherently translate into a well-written book. Ms. Warren is a capable writer with a knack for description and settings. However, in this book, her proficiency does not extend to her plot or her characters. I found the former dreary and the latter unlikely.

Drake Byron is a brilliant scientist who has alway...more
Koki
Zatiaľ posledná kniha zo série o Byronovcoch (pevne verím, že to nebude celkom pravda, veď Warren sľubovala, že sa do písania príbehov zvyšných súrodencov pustí - viď v rozhovore Tracy Anne Warren sa svojimi postavami necháva viesť pre Kokinu červenú knižnicu). Tentoraz bol hlavným hrdinom matematik Drake.

Celú recenziu si prečítajte tu: http://kokinakniznica.blogspot.sk/201...
Susan
I really liked this book. Drake appealed to me in other books because he seemed so absentminded. In this one I definitely got more of why he was like that. I really admired the way he was able to focus on what he was doing until he got it where he wanted it. I also liked Sebastianne. She really didn't want to be doing what she was doing, but she had no choice. I really enjoyed the way that Drake was so attracted to Sebastianne right from the beginning. For a guy that swore he would never let a w...more
Marlene
First off--the title of the book had nothing to do with the story. I was very disappointed with the pace and action in this book. It was boring and spent far too many chapters with the sneaky heroine trying to access the code. She dissapointed and tricked the Lord Drake's staff; as well as Lord Drake. He's a smart guy but somehow did not pick up on the all the clues that something was not right. It also did not end with a wedding and the final gathering of the Byrons. The ending was not satisfyi...more
Lynne Tull
I love the Byron family. I have always been partial to Drake and was not disappointed with his story. This book unnerved me and tested my patience...I have very little. I found myself skipping over a lot of text, mainly the "love" scenes, since the details didn't add a whole lot to the story. To my consternation I got to the climax of the book and couldn't keep my eyes open. Every time I woke up in the night I found myself trying to figure out all the scenarios for the happily ever after ending....more
Gina
Not Tracy Anne Warren's best.
Michelle
I can almost never go wrong with a good spy story and Tracy Anne Warren delivered with this one. I loved the chemistry between Drake and Sebastianne. Even before they connected physically they had such a connection between them that made this such a delightful read. I think one of my favorite parts of the story is when Drake followed her (can’t say more to steer away from any spoilers). His twin brothers were also very entertaining throughout the story. Can't wait to read a story of their own.
Rachel
London 1813

Drake is 28 and Anne is 22.

The story could have been a little better. Drake was a good character, being all smart and a younger son. I wasn't too impressed with Anne. She was ok, and I didn't hate her. But she was kinda flat. I just didn't bond with the 2 characters in this book. The only real action was at the very end of the book, and it was over with quick. The ending fell flat also, very rushed and really didn't leave much to wonder what happens next.
Ashley
Typically, I love Tracy Anne Warren, but this book wasn't her best. The characters were fine, but somehow the plot seemed like it had some holes in it or moved along at an odd pace. It did seem to tee-up additional Byron books, and I suspect we can look for books about the twins Lawrence and Leo in the forthcoming months.
Paige
I really wanted to love this book because I have a thing for nerds or scholarly types no matter what time period. Alas I thought it was just okay. I feel there could have been more to Drake's story and thought it a little flat in comparison to others in the series. I am looking forward to the twins's stories though.
Erin H
Aug 25, 2014 Erin H rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: rpo
Although not my favorite of the series it was still enjoyable. I really liked Drake, I found him to be a bit eccentric at times but still a great hero. Sebastienne I found to be a typical heroine. I don't really enjoy romance novels with spies, I pretty much knew how this would end!
Diane Peterson
A very pleasant book. I enjoyed the story and it flowed nicely. I was a little disappointed that Drake wasn't more "geeky." I think that would have added something to the book, but overall I liked it.
Cferjani
Drake Byron and Sebastianne Dumont
Xia
I really enjoyed The Bed and the Bachelor. I loved both of the main characters. And, of course, the Bryons. I'm very looking forward to the next installment in this series.
  • How a Lady Weds a Rogue (Falcon Club, #3)
  • The Scottish Witch (The Chattan Curse, #2)
  • Tis the Season to Be Sinful
  • To Wed a Wicked Highlander (Bad Boys of the Highlands, #3)
  • The Highlander's Dangerous Temptation (The MacLeries #7)
  • A Dangerous Beauty (Widows Club, #1)
  • Guarding a Notorious Lady (Devine & Friends, #3)
  • If You Give a Rake a Ruby (Jewels of the Ton, #2)
  • Waking Up with a Rake (The Royal Rakes, #1)
  • If You Give A Girl A Viscount (Impossible Bachelors, #4)
  • Secrets of a Proper Countess
  • My Wicked Little Lies
  • Improper Seduction (English Tudor, #1)
  • Ripe for Pleasure (The League of Second Sons, #1)
  • Lord Langley Is Back in Town (Bachelor Chronicles, #8)
  • The Spy (Liar's Club #3)
  • Confessions of an Improper Bride (Donovan Sisters, #1)
  • Sunrise with a Notorious Lord (Lords of Vice, #4)
Tracy Anne Warren is the New York Times bestselling author of ten Regency historical romance novels, including At The Duke’s Pleasure and The Husband Trap. Her books have appeared on the USA Today Bestsellers’ list and the Borders’ Group List of Bestselling Single Title Romance Paperbacks. She has won numerous writing awards, including Romance Writers’ of America’s prestigious RITA® Award, the Nat...more
More about Tracy Anne Warren...
The Husband Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #1) Seduced By His Touch (The Byrons of Braebourne, #2) Tempted by His Kiss (The Byrons of Braebourne, #1) Wicked Delights of a Bridal Bed (The Byrons of Braebourne, #4) The Wedding Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #3)

“Well, if it’s an order,” she said on a gentle tease, warmed by his words in spite of herself. “You know, for such a cerebral man, you certainly have powerful physical appetites.”

His lips curved in a seductive smile. “Of course, I do. I’m a Byron, after all. It’s in my blood.”
3 likes