Earthway (Ella Clah, #14)

Earthway (Ella Clah #14)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Ella Clah has found her place on the Navajo Reservation, in her tribe, her clan, and her family.She has seen the Diné at their worst--and at their best--as they balance the modern era with the traditional Navajo way of life.

The Navajo are building a nuclear power plant on the Reservation.Though the tribe voted for the plant, there are those who believe that nuclear power i...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Forge Books (first published October 27th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Earthway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earthway

Connie
The Thurlo books were recommended to me by B&N staff as a comparable mystery to Hillerman. I chose this book to begin with, to determine if, in my opinion, it had the Hillerman technique. I thought the plot was almost grindingly fast. . . and missed the narration of the scenes, the depth of contemplation that an investigator must have to move on so quickly into the next clue. The plot was very good but I felt the characters were rushed in too quickly and although familiar with the geographic...more
Michael  Starsheen
Another great entry in this series

I gave this book five stars because it was suspenseful; a good read. I enjoyed the story and the interplay of the characters and the Navajo culture. I will be interested to see what happens in the series.
Little Fish
Was this ever EXCITING, READ UNTIL I couldn't read any more in a day!
The Navajo/Dine People were taking control of their environment by building a Nuclear Power Plant, and of course there were those against it.
This another one of Ella Clah, Navajo Police Special Agent Mysteries and it is GOOD! There was a bombing in a Classroom, what did it have to do with the Power Plant? Did it? Who did it? Where were they? Why? So many question and so little time to answer.

and the many things I learned about...more
Catherine Woodman
I agree with another reviewer--the ending really dragged out in this latest installment of the Ellah Clah series--I am thankful that she is no longer sniping with the father of her child. I know, they were never a couple to speak of, but it got old. THe book focuses almost exclusively on the crime, which is a balance that is not ideal for me. I prefer murder mysteries where there is about equal parts personal life with the story of the crime. Maybe that was part of it. But I think there was jsut...more
Douglas
Another great mystery on the Navajo reservation! The Thurlo's always have a great story while further filling out the cast of characters that are in the books. They have a great way of bringing you up-to-date without making you feel like you missed something. The mysteries show good honest police work with logical narrowing of suspects and events. Even though there is still discussion of the Navajo way to find balance there is less and less mysticism as part of the solving the crimes.
Dee
A great addition to the mystery line -- and a Soho Mystery! Ella Clah is a Navajo who is also, like Joe Leaphorn, a tribal police woman. Her handing of the case involves lots of willing help from all kinds of other police - the FBI, the Sherrif, other counties, and lots of cell phone and modern technologies. These folks don't seem to be too worried about privacy or civil rights -- but of course the right people get put in jail. Lots of good worries and lots of good thrills.
Meredith
This is the 15th title in the series, and the authors keep giving us more police procedural plot details instead of developing the characters more. We come back for the relationships between the characters, but poor Justine and Rose have barely changed in the last few books, and while we've gotten peeks at Ella's development, it's not enough. Even the crimes have gotten repetitive. Where's the excitement of the first 5 books? Maybe it's time to retire Ella. :/
Kitty
Ella Clah is a Navajo Police Special Investigator. Her love interest, Ford, is a minister, and 2 attempts are made on his life. How is that connected with the nuclear reactor being built on the reservation? Twists and turns of the plot take Ella to a cultish religious community, an abusive husband, and a college campus. Good inclusion of the "Navajo way" customs.
Fredrick Danysh
Navajo police officer Ella Clah investigates the attempted murder of the minister that she is dating and uncovers a plot to destroy a nuclear reacter being built on the reservation. Her daughter is visiting the girl's father in Washington, DC. Clah must also consider a job offer that would take her from the reservation to the nation's capital.
Gail
Not as good ad the others, but still good. I think I'm getting towards the end of this series. I don't know what to read next, but I think I am now a mystery fan.
Nicole
I really like these authors, but it seems like the stories are starting to just repeat themes and stories as the series goes along.
Another enjoyable outing in the Ella Clah series with a closed case at the end, but personal issues left - no doubt - for the next book.
Catherine Martin
This is a great series. Better than Hillerman. Fully developed characters. You can see the beauty of the Rez through her eyes.
Lynn Kearney
There's lots of Navajo lore which I find interesting. The tone is rather didactic, though, and the plot is ho-hum.
Jay Sprenkle
A nice mystery with an interesting twist to the plot. I liked the characters and connected well with them.
Michele bookloverforever
Navajo customs and traditions. great characters. strong woman police detective. good plot.
Mircats
It's readable, but don't know that I'd go back to it again.
Cindy
One of the best so far. I love this series.
Mariana
Great fast read. No skinwalkers.
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Sierra
Sierra marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
4712006
Aimee and David Thurlo are the authors of the Ella Clah mysteries, the Sister Agatha mysteries, the Lee Nez vampire novels all set in New Mexico. David grew up on the Navajo Indian Nation, and Aimee, a native of Cuba, has lived in the southwest for forty years
More about Aimee Thurlo...
Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1) Bad Medicine (Ella Clah, #3) Death Walker (Ella Clah, #2) Enemy Way (Ella Clah, #4) Red Mesa (Ella Clah, #6)