Start by marking “Monsters Are Afraid of the Moon” as Want to Read:
Monsters Are Afraid of the Moon

Monsters Are Afraid of the Moon

Poor Marie! Every night as she climbed into bed, she got a visit from three monsters. They only came out in darkness, so she knew they must be afraid of the light. Marie took a huge pair of scissors, and cutting the moon out of the sky, hung it right in her bedroom. No darkness, no monsters!

Her plan worked perfectly, or so she thought . . . but without a moon in the sky, t
Published September 5th 2006 by Bloomsbury Children's Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Monsters Are Afraid of the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monsters Are Afraid of the Moon

Miriam
Dec 05, 2015 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Probably not terribly helpful as an instantiation of the helping-kids-deal-with-fears genre of picture books; more like a piece of folklore about how cats came to live with humans. I liked it, but I wasn't a kid who was afraid of the dark or monsters.
Lisa Vegan
Jun 17, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
I read this book because of this review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/.... , now one of my favorite reviews on Goodreads. (I suggest that you go and read that review. I think I liked this book as much as I did because of the review as much as because of the book itself.)

This is a cute book and it might be helpful for children who are afraid of monsters at night, but only if their household has at least one cat companion, or if their parents are amenable to keeping a light on at night. Th
Jaclyn
Apr 09, 2016 Jaclyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I ordered this book through the public library but didn't realize it was a children's book. I had ordered because I wanted to read more books by this author. this was a cute book and great if you have kids and a cat. they will always want the cat near by :-)
Fredrik Strömberg
French-Iranian Marjane Satrapi has been hailed as one of the foremost comics artists of our time, and rightfully so I might add. This despite, or maybe because of the fact that she's only done a handful of graphic novels. A comparison to American Art Spiegelman is not out of place, both from the fact that Satrapi is so obviously inspired by Spiegelman's masterpiece Maus, and that he also has done few but very well received comics.

Besides the graphic novels that she's done, Satrapi has also made
Diana
Aug 30, 2012 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libros-para-emma
A Emma le gusta muchísimo.
Emma no tiene miedo de los monstruos pero tiene un gato, ahora sabemos que no tiene miedo de los monstruos porque tiene un gato que la cuida : )
Erin Lee Arvin
Aug 17, 2016 Erin Lee Arvin rated it really liked it
Super cute.
Deana
Oct 06, 2007 Deana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Satrapi of Persepolis fame brings young readers a gem of a story. The main character Marie has a wonderful life until night falls and the monsters come out. One of them pinches her on the nose, one of them pulls her hair and the third one makes horrible faces all night. Marie’s a smart girl so when she realizes that the monsters are afraid of the moon she cuts it out of the sky and puts it in a birdcage over her bed at night to protect her. This dynamic story is full of bright, narrative ...more
Patricia
Aug 15, 2012 Patricia rated it it was ok
I'm a fan of Marjane Satrapi, but this children's book just didn't do it for me. There are monsters that scare Marie at night, so she cuts out the moon and puts it in a birdcage in her room to keep the monsters away. It works, but the cats can't see at night without the moon, which means that the rats get out of control. The cat king finally negotiates with Marie to solve their mutual problems. It sounds like a cute story, but it's too simply told and the pictures are really big and colorful. ...more
Anna
Jul 01, 2009 Anna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids at bedtime
This was somewhat disappointing! I expected more from Marjane Satrapi, who is an amazing writer and artist. This children's book had a lot of potential but it fell short. The story seemed rushed and underdeveloped. I'm sure kids will enjoy it anyway, especially at bedtime, but I just expected a lot more.

I do, however, give her lots of credit for making cats such an essential part of the story (and its resolution)!
Rebellion Violetta
Saya penggemar Marjane Satrapi dan mulai mengikuti seluruh karyanya sejak membaca Persepolis yang merupakan sebuah novel grafis.

Buku ini ditujukan untuk anak-anak sehingga gambarnya lebih sederhana dan berwarna. Ceritanya unik, saya suka. Saya membacakannya untuk anak saya yang berusia 1,5 tahun dan dia juga senang dibacakan buku ini.

Saya tahu potensi Marjane Satrapi, buku ini mungkin hanya permulaan karyanya untuk anak-anak. Buku anak selanjutnya pasti akan lebih bagus dan menarik :)
Ryan
Sep 06, 2011 Ryan rated it liked it
After reading Persopolis, I was curious about what sort of children's book Satrapi would write. Marie is a tough, independent little girl - she is afraid of monsters but takes her fear in her own hands and solves her problem. And then has to solve the problems she has created by solving hers. No parents were required in the solving of any problems.
Suzanne
Sep 14, 2011 Suzanne rated it really liked it
I'm trying to move my almost-5 year old to her own room (yes, she co-sleeps. Yes, I love it. Yes, I regret it. But sometimes sleep is more important than being right). As she is using the whole "monsters in my room" to avoid sleeping alone, I thought that monster books might be good. This one is cute, well-written and beautifully illustrated.
Mandy
Apr 28, 2012 Mandy rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Marie is afraid of the dark because three monsters come out at night and torment her. She learns that the monsters are afraid of the moon, so she bring a piece of the moon into her room to keep them away. Her plan works, but causes problems because there is no bright moon to light up the sky. What will she do? If she puts back the moon, the scary monsters might come back!
Rochelle
Apr 06, 2016 Rochelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
I adored this book. It may just be because the combination of little kids and cats are adorable, but I also genuinely think it is creative idea. The book is for a younger audience, probably first grade and bellow. I think any cat lover would madly fall in love with this book, but also a book for all types of kids. The images are simple, but still adorable. I highly recommended this book.
Agnes
Feb 10, 2010 Agnes rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Monsters are afraid of the Moon... and cats! Glad this story ended happily, especially with a cast of characters like this: "three of the scariest monsters who ever lived," cats who can't see in the dark!?, the stealing rats, and a very diplomatic Cat King accompanied by his cabinet minister.
Milan/zzz
I'm Satrapi's fan but not quite sure how to rate children's book. Apparently I'm not targeted reader so I an only say the book is cute and I hope my niece will like it. Later I'll introduce her [my niece] with other Satrapi's work that are one of my favourite reads.
Marianna
Dec 28, 2008 Marianna rated it it was amazing
I gave this to my daughter for a Christmas present. She loves, I love it. Please consider giving it to any child you know.
Caleb
May 05, 2009 Caleb rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Short review with some pictures here:
Dec 10, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, graphic, hardback
Exceedingly cute story of a girl who has to find a way to keep monsters at bay and the unintended consequences thereof.
Titis Wardhana
ini baru satu detik satu buku, hahaha lebay. Oh jadi ini asal mulanya kenapa orang suka tidur sama kucingnya :D
indri juwono
Sep 25, 2010 indri juwono rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
#2010-84#

bintang mau tidur di kamar bunda aja

kenapa?

takut ada monster.. (sambil meluk gulingnya)

ya udah, nanti dibeliin bulan buat digantung di kamar..

Sweetdhee
biasa aja, nothing special di cerita nya
tapi gambarnya bagus..
cuma kurang penuh..
lebih suka Ajdar, ah..
Sarah Hayes
Feb 11, 2011 Sarah Hayes rated it liked it
A short, cute story perfect for reading to your children at bedtime. The cats were so adorable! Satrapi should do more children's comics.
Malika
Aug 18, 2011 Malika rated it liked it
Cute little book. Very simple and straight forward. A good read to a group of kids ((be sure to use silly voices!))
another set of eyes
Feb 16, 2015 another set of eyes rated it liked it
In my quest to read everything by her, I came upon this book... Well worth reading for children, children at heart and ardent Satrapi fans.
george
May 11, 2008 george rated it liked it
Adorable children's book about a little girl who is terrorized by three monsters every night. She develops a plan, but the result causes problems for others. Cute story.
Sara
Mar 28, 2012 Sara rated it it was ok
Shelves: ius-library
This book would be good to give to kids who are afraid of monsters at night (especially if you have cats). In the end the cats sleep at the end of the child's bed to protect her from the monsters.
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Guen
Guen rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
May 21, 2008
  • Mother, Mother, I Want Another
  • Henry & the Crazed Chicken Pirates
  • How Will We Get to the Beach?/Como Iremos a la Playa?
  • We Are Iran: The Persian Blogs
  • My Sister, Guard Your Veil; My Brother, Guard Your Eyes: Uncensored Iranian Voices
  • The Woods
  • The Blue Cat of Castle Town
  • The Underpants Zoo
  • The River
  • Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed
Marjane Satrapi (Persian: مرجان ساتراپی) is an Iranian-born French contemporary graphic novellist, illustrator, animated film director, and children's book author. Apart from her native tongue Persian, she speaks English, Swedish, German, French and Italian.

Satrapi grew up in Tehran in a family which was involved with communist and socialist movements in Iran prior to the Iranian Revolution. She a
More about Marjane Satrapi...