Start by marking “Storm Clouds Rolling In (Bregdan Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Storm Clouds Rolling In (Bregdan Chronicles, #1)

Storm Clouds Rolling In (Bregdan Chronicles #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Carrie Cromwell comes of age as the dark clouds of the Civil War swallow the country. Born with a fiery spirit and a strong mind, she finds herself struggling between the common wisdom of the South and the truth she has discovered.

The activities of the Underground Railroad and her close friendships with the Cromwell Plantation slaves create difficult choices. But when her...more
Published April 12th 2010 by A Voice In The World Publishing (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Storm Clouds Rolling In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storm Clouds Rolling In

Thom Swennes
“Nothing great in the world was accomplished without passion”. This quote of Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel (1770-1831) perfectly describes the pulchritudinous Carrie Cromwell. Everything and everyone she confronted with passion. In a time of uncertainty and threatening turmoil, she hoped she could save her perceived way of life and not be pulled into the conflict that would surely split her country in half. This is the first book of Bregdan Chronicles and deal with the first year of the American...more
Richard
I thought the history and the story line, what happens to the characters, was interesting. It was also interesting to read the arguments for and against slavery, though they were a bit over repeated.

The story was, however, at times told in a kind of sappy way. Too much of people looking into other people's eyes and knowing what is in their heart. Too much of people sensing other people's moods, and people having sudden, almost divine, revelations.

That being said, I will read the next book On To...more
« Crystal »
Wow... this was an intense book! Slavery, and all the abuse of slaves is troublesome to read. The author does a great job with this terrible time in our history. Luckily, the plantation and the family in this book are good people (ignorant and blind, but they didn't mistreat their slaves). Carrie is such a strong character for someone so young. At 18, she is just amazing! I love her spirit, her strength, passion and compassion.
I would have loved to give this book 5 stars, but I was bored to tea...more
Ann Alton
This had so much potential.... I hope that the author becomes more consistent with her writing (sometimes brilliant, sometimes awkward, other times just, sorry to say, bad). The characters were likable enough, pacing was mostly ok (on occasion it staggered). There are some moments of real wisdom, which definitely made it worth the read. Here's hoping the author gets a better editor, as well.
Richard Lucas
A romance set in the pre civil war south.

I gave a two star rating because the book is written for a young, impressionable reader, which I am not. If you enjoy a book that cannot make you think, this is the book for you. Adjectives are included in virtually every sentence, needed or not. This book is a good example of why I read so few non-fiction books.
Sharon Nelson
This is an excellent book , the first in a series of historical fiction set during the events leading up to the civil war, the war itself and the years after. I thoroughly recommend it. One can tell that the author did her research on the historical facts. The characters are very interesting. Was hard to put the book down
Heidi Harsch
Loved it!

I really enjoyed reading this first book in the series. I can't wait to begin book number two. The characters came to life and I'm curious to read what happens to them next.
Pam Mangum
Interesting

A good look into the hearts and minds of the abolitionists, the slave owners, and the slaves during the pre civil war years.

Gail Lewis
A great civil war story about plantation life, slavery, the underground railroad, and I am now anxious to read the next in the series. The author goes in depth to share what was happening before the war begins in the south.
Betsy Gray
Storm Clouds Rolling In by Ginny Dye is the first of a four book series about a Virginian family during the years 1860-1865 ( Civil War years). The Cromwells are wealthy plantation owners just south of Richmond. The only child is a daughter, Carrie, wants to be a doctor. She fimds as she lives through the pre-war years in the first book that she differs in many respects from her parents.
This book is a quick read and is written to entice you to keep reading until the last page. If you like histo...more
Reb Bing
Not my choice of reading
Susie Bradley
I love historical dramas. This one is no exception. It drew me into the precursor to the Civil War from the viewpoint on a southern belle. Granted, she is an exceptional character, stepping away from the norm of what a southern plantation belle should be. But that just made the character more interesting.
I enjoyed the internal struggle that she went through while trying to decide which side of the slavery issue she was truly on.
I look forward to reading the rest in the series.
Liza Goldberg
Good historical fiction - to my moderate civil war knowledge, it seems relatively accurate so far, and the characters are believable and compelling.
I expect to continue this series, as I am caught up in the drama, and really enjoying the strong female lead character.
Erin
I love historical fiction. This author writes a story into history beautifully. If only history classes were this engaging, perhaps I would have received an A!
Chris Johnson
A historical fiction novel which takes place outside of Richmond, Virginia just before the Civil War. The book is well written with very good character development.
Sara
This is the first in a series of books about the Civil War. I really like this book, and those following. They are lengthy but very descriptive of the time and issues involved. I will keep reading the books in this series as long as the author continues to add new ones.
Patsy Chastang
This was a great book, I love to read about the civil war era, the plantation homes, underground railroads,
and the slaves in America. This is our history. The story was outstanding I DID not want to put it down I
read until the wee hours of the morning. A good book.
Larose
Well written story and thought provoking read Brings to light a side of the cultural differences of slavery in the old south when it was almost impossible to show even the slightest bit of kindness to people of color.
Lauralee
Entertaining historical christian romance. Written better than most in this genre. I will probably read the rest in the series, but with other books in between.
Excellent story, powerfully written. A good reminder to all of a dark time in our nation's history and why it was so important. Wonderful focus on Christ.
Gail Johnson
Good historic fiction with a faith angle; enjoyed it enough to start the second book in the series...On to Richmond.
Lauren Brown
Lauren Brown marked it as to-read
Lois Smith
Lois Smith marked it as to-read
Coycyn
Coycyn added it
Julie Perkins
Julie Perkins marked it as to-read
Chelsea Haller
Chelsea Haller marked it as to-read
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Has previously published books under the pseudonym Virginia Gaffney.
More about Ginny Dye...
On To Richmond (# 2 in the Bregdan Chronicles Historical Fiction Romance Series) The Last, Long Night (Bregdan Chronicles, #5) Dark Chaos (# 4 in the Bregdan Chronicles Historical Fiction Romance Series) Carried Forward By Hope (Bregdan Chronicles, #6) Spring Will Come: The Bregdan Chronicles # 3