Start by marking “Embroideries” as Want to Read:
Embroideries

Embroideries

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  13,741 Ratings  ·  1,255 Reviews
From the best–selling author of Persepolis comes this gloriously entertaining and enlightening look into the sex lives of Iranian women. Embroideries gathers together Marjane’s tough–talking grandmother, stoic mother, glamorous and eccentric aunt and their friends and neighbors for an afternoon of tea drinking and talking. Naturally, the subject turns to love, sex and the ...more
Published April 18th 2006 by Pantheon (first published March 1st 2003)

Natalie
Family gossip is my Achilles' heel. I live for those moments when my mother and I get to discuss old memories of hers and mine.
So this graphic novel fit right like a glove.

Embroideries starts out with Marjane Satrapi and her family and friends sitting down with their drinks to devote themselves to their favorite activity: discussion.

description

There was talk of marriage, love, unfeasible men, sex, double standards, body image... simply put, Embroideries included everything I love discussing with my family
Pramod Nair
"To speak behind others' backs is to ventilate the soul." – a dictum from Marjane Satrapi’s grandmother.

Reading ‘Embroideries’ from Marjane Satrapi was like reading some missing pages from ‘Persepolis’, her renowned autobiographical series. In ‘Persepolis’ she gave much insights to the reader about the social and political life of Iran during her childhood, but through ‘Embroideries‘ Satrapi manages to illustrate the closed personal world of Iranian women in an amusing manner.

In this slice of an
Valerie
Jan 21, 2009 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Reading this graphic novel was like being invited to tea with a group of Iranian women, except that the talk turned (interestingly enough) to arranged marriages, cheating husbands, and faking your virginity. The images strengthened the words in such a way that when I was done reading it I actually felt like I knew and had spent a little time with these women.

It's interesting, because their conversation makes it seem like they have some power (while living under harsh social restrictions) but as
Hippo dari Hongkong
Story about various Iranian women. They're sit back and relax in the afternoon while sipping a hot cup of tea. But not just that, they all have a tale to tell.
And the story begin...

"To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart."
Huwahahaha...

Pertama-tama ketika nge-mark as to read gw pernah komen "Mari ngebordir" , yang dikasi komen sama Lita di message #1 dan saya ngasi komen "wah, rok mini mah cepet keknya ngebordirnya, siap lah" di message #2. Nah, setelah beres membaca b
☆☽Erica☾☆
Mar 19, 2016 ☆☽Erica☾☆ rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, graphic-novel, 2016
This author is great. Her graphic novel Persepolis is remarkable and hilarious, and her notable humor is present here as well. :) I enjoyed it.
Hilda
Mar 19, 2008 Hilda rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Satrapi fans
I was disappointed by Marjane Satrapi's follow up to the fantastic two volume "Persepolis".

In "Embroideries", the setting is an after-dinner tea party between several women of different ages telling their stories abut love and sex. The potential is fantastic to really delve into the beliefs and traditions surrounding these topics. But rather than tell the complete stories with depth, she merely flits over them, so that you get a taste but little substance. She tells the stories of about 7 women
Manny
Dec 26, 2008 Manny rated it really liked it
Hair-raising Iranian gossip. You keep wanting to join in. "Oh wow! What a great story! Now let me tell you about something that happened to a friend of mine..."
Seth T.
Jul 25, 2011 Seth T. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The embroideries of the book’s title refer to the surgical restoration of one’s vagina to a state similar to that of a virgin. Whether this includes hymen reconstruction or merely the tightening of an age-and-use-worn genitalia, Satrapi’s book never makes clear. In the end, it doesn’t really matter, probably. What is equally unclear is the reason for naming her extended anecdote in this way. Really, I just don’t know.

Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi

Embroideries covers the ground of a single afternoon’s conversation between ten
an
Jul 18, 2010 an rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: punya
awal na bingung dengan judul na. bordir. kirain diskusi selama kisah ini berlangsung ketika acara membordir bersama, atau mungkin kegiatan membordir (yang notabene kebanyakan dikerjakan oleh perempuan) membuat para perempuan ini saling bercerita, ngobrol dengan peserta lain. ternyata... jauh banget hubungan na.

kegiatan ini dilakukan bukan saat membaut bordir tapi saat minum teh. dan bordir di sini menggunakan media yang berbeda. tidak hanya sekedar obrolan, tapi kalau dicermati lebih lagi...

Ceilidh
Sep 22, 2011 Ceilidh rated it really liked it
A much more chatty account than Persepolis but one full of warmth, humour and a group of fascinating women sharing their wisdom. Through the eyes of a 21st century British feminist, the women's ideas of empowerment and control in relationships are a little tough to swallow, but there's something undeniably powerful in the way these stories are told to us: no mincing of words, just the truth, with all the sadness and humour contained within.
Anya
Dec 21, 2015 Anya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anya by: Fatty Bolger
Fatty made me read it by dangling the "it's totally your kind of graphic novel" line. Thank you, Fatty! ^_^

I'll post a review tomorrow (hopefully) because I am so tired/hungry that I accidentally wrote tortilla instead of totally and my dog is growling at me to turn off the lights.
Aya Hesham
تعرض الكاتبة الفرنسية، ذات الأصول الإيرانية، "ساترابي" مشاهد روتينية من حياتها كفتاة تعيش في المجتمع الإيراني، لتعكس طبيعة الحياة الإجتماعية في إيران خاصة و المجتمع الشرقي عامة.

تبدأ الرواية بساترابي جالسة مع عائلتها على طاولة الغذاء وعند إنتهاء الجميع من الأكل ، يبدأ الرجال بالإنسحاب المفاجئ من غرفة الطعام والذهاب للنوم وتبدأ الفتيات بتنظيف المكان.
نفس المشهد نراه بشكل يومي في مجتمعنا، فبعد تناول الطعام يتجه الرجال ناحية التلفاز لتبادل الأحاديث عن الرياضة والسياسة والصراخ "الشاااااااي" ... أما ا
Tukang Kueh Keren
Jan 03, 2009 Tukang Kueh Keren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Embroideries adalah buku karya Marjane Satrapi kedua yang saya baca. Sebelumnya saya beruntung memperoleh buku Revolusi Iran, Dongeng seorang anak ditumpukan buku bekas di Pasar Buku Palasari.

Jika dalam Dongeng seorang anak, cerita-cerita yang disajikan cukup "kelam", bagaimana Marji kecil menghadapi revolusi Iran, dalam Embroideries (diterjemahkan menjadi Bordir) dibahas kisah lucu sekaligus getir yang terjadi di antara para wanita Iran tersebut.

Dibuka dengan makan siang bersama di rumah keluar
Serena.. Sery-ously?
Dove ero io quando dovevo conoscere la Satrapi?

Io la amo già, sto aspettando trepidante che "Persepolis" arrivi a casa!

Una trama che può sembrare a prima vista banale e 'già vista', ma che permette al lettore occidentale di conoscere la situazione delle donne in Iran: il matrimonio, il sesso e cosa voglia dire nascere donna in questo paese..
Divertente, toccante e illuminante!

Marjane sei la mia nuova eroina!!

"To speak behind others' backs is to ventilate the soul."
Yasemin Şahin
Sep 14, 2016 Yasemin Şahin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: di-er
Güzel bir sabah okuması, arkadaş sohbeti kitabı. Persepolis'in yazar-çizerinden yine çok iyi bir çizgi roman. Kadın kadına sohbetler en samimisinden. İran'da yaşayan bir grup kadının bir semaver başı sohbetiyle başlayan ve çok tanıdık gelecek eleştirel hikayeleriyle alıp götüren bir kara mizah kitabı.
Gauri
Feb 24, 2017 Gauri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marjane Satrapi is most probably my favorite graphic novel illustrator. This is the last book I've read of hers that is autobiographical, and it doesn't necessarily hold up to the weight of the Persepolis series, but it is valuable in its own way. In this novel, Satrapi and her female relatives discuss their love lives and their sex lives, and they especially discuss societal issues regarding virginity. No doubt this book touches on the broad subject of feminism, which is, concern for women's sa ...more
Ferdy
Spoilers

-Sometimes funny, and sometimes quite horrifying but all rather eye-opening. I was really impressed by how much Iranian culture, history, and humour could be infused into what amounted to be a simple, every-day gathering of Iranian woman having tea and a "gap-shap" (gossip)… The women talk about first loves, sex, arranged marriages, forced marriages and husbands in general.

-I was quite surprised by how modern and forward thinking some of the women were — having plastic surgery, taking l
Raina
For anyone who's ever wondered what dating, marriage, and sex is like from the perspective of Iranian women. Satrapi uses her considerable skill to record the experiences of her inner circle.
The illustrations are less panel-based than I remember in Persepolis. As I look at the cover and remember the contents, the keyword that comes to mind is "coy."

Read with If You Could Be Mine and Secret Keeper by Mitali Perkins.
FeReSHte
Dec 11, 2014 FeReSHte rated it liked it

ساتراپی میگه همه ما داستان خودمون رو داریم اما این که چه طور روایتشون کنیم مهمه

داستان انتخابی ساتراپی تو این اثر هم به اندازه روایت مجموعه پرسپولیس برای
ما اشناست هرچند از لحاظ اهمیت موضوعی می تونه تو سطح پایین تری قرار بگیره

بعد از یک مهمونی ناهار، زنان خانواده تو اتاقی جدا دور از مردانشون دور هم
جمع میشن به صرف چای و البته غیبت
!!!

هر کدوم از زنان این جمع با سن و سلیقه های متفاوت به عنوان نماینده یک سبک فکری و لایف استایل از نظراتشون راجع به عشق ، سکس ، ازدواج ، پیش داوری ها و تعصبات بیجا ، راز
Ma
Le ton est léger, avec une bonne dose d'humour, malgré un sujet plutôt grave, ce qui nous fait un mélange intéressant. Chaque histoire représente un aspect de l'intimité des femmes iraniennes, et laisse apercevoir à la fois les mailles d'une société et ses traditions, ainsi que les changements qui la traverse aujourd'hui.
Au final, rien de particulièrement transcendant, mais c'est drôle et intéressant et ça mérite bien une petite lecture.
Nirav
Feb 09, 2017 Nirav rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAT A FUCKING HILARIOUS QUICK READ. Damn, Satrapi never stops to amaze you and make you laugh at the same time. Persepolis was so good and Embroideries is no less. A conversation over a cup of tea one afternoon in Tehran over sex and secrets being shared among the women in you family and neighbourhood. Who would not like to be a part of it or even get a glimpse of customs in Iran. Finished in one shot, that's how amazing and laughable this book was.
Federica
Mar 20, 2017 Federica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mannaggia, come mai non è l'8 Marzo? No, perché questo è uno dei libri più femministi che io abbia mai letto!
Sebbene le conversazioni delle invitate a casa Satrapi, e delle Satrapi stesse, sono testimonianza di un mondo dove uomo e donna sembrano lontani anni luce (ma sarebbe così anche nel salotto delle nostre vecchie comari), lo spirito e la mentalità arguta e moderna di ognuna di loro rendono gli episodi raccontati divertenti e spassosi!
Luvena
Mar 02, 2017 Luvena rated it liked it
My first graphic novel. Although I was looking to get Persepolis instead, it started with Embroideries. Funny, how in the end it made sense as to WHY the book was titled so.. lol... I could relate to many of the sentiments having been born and raised in the Middle East - especially the two sides of society and the prejudice surrounding socially acceptable behaviour & relationships. An enjoyable quick-read - the illustrations brought the attitude and relevance to the various domestic truths a ...more
Margie
Jun 07, 2012 Margie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
Hmm...which shelf to file this on? Between this and The Proof of the Honey, I need only one more book before I add a "Middle Eastern-not-quite-erotica" shelf.

This isn't erotica, of course. There's nothing even remotely erotic about older Iranian women sitting around laughing about being married off as teenagers to old men, or about how funny-looking penises are. I could almost add this to my "humor" shelf instead. Reading it was like joining a bunch of women friends or sisters and chatting about
Eleni (OverThePlace)
Apr 18, 2015 Eleni (OverThePlace) rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, women
Review στο: https://overtheplace.wordpress.com/20...

Τη Marjane Satrapi γνώρισα από το graphic novel Persepolis, μία αυτοβιογραφική ιστορία ενηλικίωσης μιας κοπέλας που γεννήθηκε και μεγάλωσε στο Ιράν. Οι γονείς της ήταν Μαρξιστές σε μία χώρα εξτρεμιστικής θρησκείας και πολιτεύματος. Επέλεξαν λοιπόν να στείλουν τη κόρη τους να σπουδάσει στη Βιέννη και τώρα πλέον ζει μόνιμα στο Παρίσι. Το Persepolis ήταν τολμηρό, ειλικρινές και απίστευτα αστείο. Δεν περίμενα λοιπόν τίποτα λιγότερο από το Embroider
Pequete
Feb 23, 2016 Pequete rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookcrossing
I was expecting a lot more from this book. It was an interesting read about the conversations of a series of Iranian women of different ages covering topics like arranged marriages, cheating husbands, and faking your virginity. But it all sounded too superficial, in a "women against men" way. I missed a few stories where dissimulation and cheating were not the norm, as I am sure there must be at least some. As it is, the book just turned out a caricature, funny at times, but mostly bitter and sa ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 31, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
Brief, gossipy exploration of the sexual morality of young and old women living in Iran. Pithy banter and sharp wit about marriage, love, and sex is not quite enough to push this into the three star category. But almost.
Suketus
Dec 30, 2015 Suketus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-east
Miten saada aivan himpun päässä oleva Goodreads-lukutavoite täyteen loppuvuoden rutistuksella? Luetaan sarjakuvia! Marjane Satrapin Pistoja on mainio sarjis Iranin naisista ja näiden juorukerhosta. Kuvat simppeleitä ja ilmeikkäitä, teksti pisteliästä ja hauskaa. Hieno stoori!
César Viteri
Es como tener el ojo de una cerradura por el que poder espiar a un grupo de mujeres persas sin pelos en la lengua. Directo, mordaz, sencillo pero no simple. Muy recomendable para tratar de entender que lo que para ti es inconcebible otros pueden darlo por sentado, y viceversa.
Gabriela Ludusan
Embroideries makes you a witness to the funny and casual conversations of a group of Iranian ladies on topics like failed marriages, sex, love spells, strategies of simulating one's virginity. It's a short read but nonetheless funny and entertaining. As someone was saying in another review, as you read it, you get a great sense of the fact that the women around the world do share a connection.
  • Aya of Yop City (Aya #2)
  • Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3]
  • A Life Force
  • La Perdida
  • The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For
  • In the Shadow of No Towers
Marjane Satrapi (Persian: مرجان ساتراپی) is an Iranian-born French contemporary graphic novellist, illustrator, animated film director, and children's book author. Apart from her native tongue Persian, she speaks English, Swedish, German, French and Italian.

Satrapi grew up in Tehran in a family which was involved with communist and socialist movements in Iran prior to the Iranian Revolution. She a
More about Marjane Satrapi...

“To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart.” 302 likes
“To be the mistress of a married man is to have the better role. Do you realize? His dirty shirt, his disgusting underwear, his daily ironing, his bad breath, his hemorrhoid attacks, his fuss, not to mention his bad moods, and his tantrums. Well all that is for his wife.
When a married man comes to his mistress... he's always bleached and ironed, his teeth sparkle, his breath is like perfume, he's in a good mood, he's full of conversation, he is there to have a good time with you.”
10 likes