Start by marking “The Secret World Of The Irish Male” as Want to Read:
The Secret World Of The Irish Male

The Secret World Of The Irish Male

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  207 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The author of "Desperadoes" and "Cowboys and Indians" directs his acid humour upon contemporary Irish life at home and abroad. The result is a headlong, love-struck, end-of-millenium, coast-to-coast tour of the frustrations, contraditions and giddying glories of being Irish in the 1990s.

Dissecting the cultural icons of our time, from the Taoiseach to the taxi driver, from

Unknown Binding
Published January 1st 1994 by New Island Books

To ask other readers questions about The Secret World Of The Irish Male, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret World Of The Irish Male

Lee Miley
Aug 10, 2015 Lee Miley rated it it was ok
A collection of stories and musings which started strong but was a little tedious after a while so I found myself skimming through a lot of it. It wasn't badly written by any means it's just that at over 20 years old a lot of the humour and references seemed dated.
I prefer O'connors fictional work.
Anna
May 18, 2011 Anna rated it it was ok
I read this thru this collection of ramblings, skipping the boring parts.
Some parts of the book are funny, but there are too many chapters I just skipped. Like the ones of James Joyce and the worldcup (just because he is Irish, does he have to cover all the Irish topics out there, in the same book?)
The reviews at Amazon for this book are rather amusing. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-World-...
The rating is for the the funny parts - they saved the rest of this. Would still make a nice travel rea
Kathryn
Mar 15, 2012 Kathryn rated it liked it
Like any essay collection, this is very hit or miss. But the World Cup Diary at the end is utterly charming. These essays were written in 1994 and they feel very much like a time capsule. I really loved the interview with David Byrne (of the Talking Heads), and it made me wish there was more just straight ahead journalism in the book. (On an interesting side note, his sister is Sinead O'Connor - the crazy singer of "Nothing Compares 2 U" and she does come up a couple of times.)
Sinead
Jul 12, 2012 Sinead rated it it was ok
This had the contents of a nice 100 page collection - the rest were just page-fillers unfortunately. The piece on the World Cup was fantastic however, as were the chapter of interviews (particularly with Terry Waite and David Byrne). I'd recommend skipping the rest and going to the ending for these.
Derek Bridge
Jul 01, 2012 Derek Bridge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Occasional writings from the early 1990s collected and loosely themed. Often hilarious, O'Connor superbly captures the spirit of both time and place.
Travelin
Dec 18, 2013 Travelin rated it did not like it
Shelves: started
Seems to be a collection of magazine articles, mostly repetitive or too long from word-mining in barren terrain. Happy to drop this one.
Norman
Jul 19, 2012 Norman rated it it was amazing
Simply a hoot! One of those books that had me laughing out loud in public places.
Ken-ichi
Nov 09, 2010 Ken-ichi added it
Shelves: humor, ireland
I remember laughing, but that's about it.
Tim O'Connor
Jan 20, 2009 Tim O'Connor rated it really liked it
Funny but always with a twist
Jason
Jason added it
May 01, 2016
Aidan Baker
Aidan Baker rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Jamie Riste
Jamie Riste rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Masha
Masha marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Noel Kavanagh
Noel Kavanagh rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Siobhan Clarke
Siobhan Clarke rated it did not like it
Mar 07, 2016
Renee Cuthbertson
Renee Cuthbertson rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Antonio Moschetti
Antonio Moschetti rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Ley Ann
Ley Ann rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Ronan
Ronan added it
Jan 19, 2016
Gillian Kane
Gillian Kane rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2016
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Rosie Waarsing
Rosie Waarsing rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Bibliophile
Bibliophile rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2015
  • The Sailor in the Wardrobe
  • Lady Gregory's Toothbrush
  • Nigella Lawson: A Biography
  • What I Wish My Christian Friends Knew about Judaism
  • I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, & Doggone It, People Like Me!
  • The Arabs: Journeys Beyond the Mirage
  • Contents Under Pressure: 30 Years of Rush at Home and Away
  • Kink: An Autobiography
  • Wednesday's Child
  • All The Songs: The Story Behind Every Beatles Release
  • Three Plays: Juno and the Paycock / The Shadow of a Gunman / The Plow and the Stars
  • Bill Bruford - The Autobiography: Yes, King Crimson, Earthworks and More
There is more than one author with this name

Joseph O’Connor was born in Dublin. He is the author of the novels Cowboys and Indians (short-listed for the Whitbread Prize), Desperadoes , The Salesman , Inishowen , Star of the Sea and Redemption Falls , as well as a number of bestselling works of non-fiction.

He was recently voted ‘Irish Writer of the Decade’ by the readers of Hot Press magazi
More about Joseph O'Connor...