Start by marking “The Secret World Of The Irish Male” as Want to Read:
The Secret World Of The Irish Male

The Secret World Of The Irish Male

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The author of "Desperadoes" and "Cowboys and Indians" directs his acid humour upon contemporary Irish life at home and abroad. The result is a headlong, love-struck, end-of-millenium, coast-to-coast tour of the frustrations, contraditions and giddying glories of being Irish in the 1990s.

Dissecting the cultural icons of our time, from the Taoiseach to the taxi driver, from

Unknown Binding
Published January 1st 1994 by New Island Books

To ask other readers questions about The Secret World Of The Irish Male, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret World Of The Irish Male

Anna
I read this thru this collection of ramblings, skipping the boring parts.
Some parts of the book are funny, but there are too many chapters I just skipped. Like the ones of James Joyce and the worldcup (just because he is Irish, does he have to cover all the Irish topics out there, in the same book?)
The reviews at Amazon for this book are rather amusing. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-World-...
The rating is for the the funny parts - they saved the rest of this. Would still make a nice travel rea...more
Kathryn
Like any essay collection, this is very hit or miss. But the World Cup Diary at the end is utterly charming. These essays were written in 1994 and they feel very much like a time capsule. I really loved the interview with David Byrne (of the Talking Heads), and it made me wish there was more just straight ahead journalism in the book. (On an interesting side note, his sister is Sinead O'Connor - the crazy singer of "Nothing Compares 2 U" and she does come up a couple of times.)
Sinead
This had the contents of a nice 100 page collection - the rest were just page-fillers unfortunately. The piece on the World Cup was fantastic however, as were the chapter of interviews (particularly with Terry Waite and David Byrne). I'd recommend skipping the rest and going to the ending for these.
Derek Bridge
Occasional writings from the early 1990s collected and loosely themed. Often hilarious, O'Connor superbly captures the spirit of both time and place.
Travelin
Seems to be a collection of magazine articles, mostly repetitive or too long from word-mining in barren terrain. Happy to drop this one.
Norman
Simply a hoot! One of those books that had me laughing out loud in public places.
Ken-ichi
Nov 09, 2010 Ken-ichi added it
Shelves: ireland, humor
I remember laughing, but that's about it.
Tim O'Connor
Funny but always with a twist
Ingres
Ingres added it
Sep 07, 2014
Flaherty
Flaherty marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Sarah Rocks
Sarah Rocks marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Cinthia Maria
Cinthia Maria marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Randi
Randi marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Dorthe
Dorthe marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
There is more than one author with this name

Joseph O’Connor was born in Dublin. He is the author of the novels Cowboys and Indians (short-listed for the Whitbread Prize), Desperadoes , The Salesman , Inishowen , Star of the Sea and Redemption Falls , as well as a number of bestselling works of non-fiction.

He was recently voted ‘Irish Writer of the Decade’ by the readers of Hot Press magazine. He...more
More about Joseph O'Connor...
Star of the Sea Ghost Light Redemption Falls Yeats Is Dead!: A Mystery by 15 Irish Writers The Salesman