Start by marking “Tumtum & Nutmeg: The Rose Cottage Tales” as Want to Read:
Tumtum & Nutmeg: The Rose Cottage Tales

Tumtum & Nutmeg: The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg #4-6)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Tumtum and Nutmeg just want to live out their comfy lives in peace, unbothered by anything as distracting as an adventure. But the holidays are upon them, and it seems to be the time of year when Arthur and Lucy, the disheveled human children of Rose Cottage, and bumbling veteran hero General Marchmouse are most likely to get into trouble. Tumtum and Nutmeg want to make th ...more
Published October 19th 2010 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published October 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Tumtum & Nutmeg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tumtum & Nutmeg

Grace
I started reading this book yesterday, and I finished it today.
This is a very unique book considering the common theme of children's literature these days.
It is refreshing to read this style which evokes classic literature like Beatrix Potter.
And the British style with all its sherbet and British culture references is very charming!
However, I suspected during my reading that the book is part of a series, and Goodreads has confirmed this.
So I read it out of order!
My favorite part of the book was
Heather
These three stories were not as funny as the stories in the first volume. They also weren't much about the Nutmouses. They were mostly about General Marchmouse who has gone from war hero to irresponsible, immature, and maybe even senile. These stories were so little about Tumtum & Nutmeg that they should have been called General Marchmouse: The Rose Cottage Tales (or maybe General Marchmouse: His Second Childhood.) I missed Tumtum and Nutmeg in the starring roles with General Marchmouse as t ...more
Connie Gunderson
A beast! I think Goodreads has the page count wrong but this one was a full meal for sure, way over 300 pages with maybe one illustrated page per ten text pages. Cute chapter book following the (mis)adventures of Tumtum and Nutmeg the mice and their various rascally cohorts. It took an oddly martial tone in the final act (guns, tanks, and hand grenades?? And something akin in the mouse world to sarin gas?? really?) but not upsetting enough to spoil the story.

The author needs to put a moratorium
Becky
Tumtum & Nutmeg: The Rose Cottage Tales features three stories starring some of my favorite mice: A Christmas Adventure, A Seaside Surprise, and A Circus Adventure.

In A Christmas Adventure, Tumtum and Nutmeg worry that the Mildew children (Arthur and Lucy) won't have Christmas this year unless they intervene. The mice read their letters to Santa. Arthur wants a toy car. Lucy wants a box of magic tricks. Can two mice give the children a Christmas to remember? Of course! Can two mice make an
Charlyn  Trussell
Tumtum & Nutmeg live an idyllic life in Nutmouse Hall within the home of the Mildew family, father and two rather neglected children, Arthur and Lucy. The home is in the English countryside. The book is a compilation of three tales. In the first tale, "A Christmas Adventure," the two mice save Christmas for Arthur and Lucy when their father forgets to open the chimney for Santa Claus to arrive. In the second tale, "A Seaside Surprise," the mice try to rescue a family treasure for the humans ...more
Deb
These are great stories! They are perfect to read aloud to your kids. This is the second book of Tumtum & Nutmeg. There are 3 stories in each book. The stories are cute little adventures that teach a lesson without being preachy. I hope that in the future there will be a third book. Great job Emily Bearn!!!
Michele
a collection of four cleverly cute stories starring TumTum, Nutmeg, and their incorrigible friend General Marchmouse. Engaging enough to keep both boys and girls listening. These stories would make a lovely bedtime read aloud.
This collection of three short stories are a great read-a-loud to children. The stories to a great job of creating vivid images and laughs.
Anneka Rogers
I read the book Tumtum and Nutmeg: the Rose Cottage Tales BY: Emily Bearn. It is about two talking mice named Tumtum and Nutmeg. In this book they go on three different adventures. They go on an adventure to Baron Toymouse's Toy Kingdom to find Christmas Presents for Arthur and Lucy. They also go with Arthur and Lucy to their uncles seaside home for a week long adventure trying to find the treasure of Seaview Manor. Then their last adventure as trying to find General Marchmouse, who had stolen A ...more
Mizuki Asano
This is AWESOME!!!!!
I just LOVE the Tumtum & Nutmeg series!!!
Alicia
Cute book! My fourth graders enjoy reading it!
blmagm
Tumtum and Nutmeg live fashionably in Nutmouse Hall within Rose Cottage, looking after Lucy and Arthur, the resident children. This collection of three different tales, a Christmas, seaside, and circus adventure, with its quaint, old-fashioned tone brings to mind a combination of a British version of The Mouse and the Motorcycle coupled with the Barklem books. Suitable for strong 3rd to 4th graders who can handle the length.
Heather
45 months - we took a break from the Little House series for a little something different. These three short stories are enjoyable but were not as captivating as others we have read. Part way through the second one O was asking for the next Little House book. Guess I know what we'll be reading next. Still I enjoyed the interaction between the children and the mice and look forward to reading more of these.
Christiane
Sweet, old-fashioned story of a mouse couple who just want to live their comfy lives but get drawn into helping the rather-neglected children whose house they live in. In this book they save Christmas, find lost treasure at the seashore, and face a sinister circus. Children who love The Borrowers and similar books will probably also enjoy this.
Hank
My eight-year old daughter loved this book and the other volume in the series. It is whimsical, funny, suspenseful, and the characters are well-developed. You can't go wrong if you have a child between about 5 or 6 years old and about 8 or 9 years old.
DeNae
I read this one with Audrey and Elliot and they got a kick out of the silly mouse adventures. They're already looking forward to more tumtum and nutmeg silliness. It was a fun one to read, especially as it was punctuated by lots of laughter.
Peter
This volume of three Rose Cottage tales is a sweet collection of stories about a mouse couple named Tumtum and Nutmeg. Good for elementary school readers, was a little young for me but perfect for AL. Kids will love this. 2011/32.
Monica
Funny and cute, a tale of two mice and their friends who never hesitate to save the day. Probably meant for a younger age group, I enjoyed it anyways and am wanting to read more about these little mice.
Sloane
Jan 03, 2011 Sloane rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls who like old-fashioned books
I liked Tumtum and Nutmeg: Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall so much that I did an inter-library loan to get this book, too. Tumtum is my favorite of the two main characters.
Amy
Rose liked Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall better. She still loved this one though and gave it 1000 stars. (She gave the Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall 10,000 stars. :)
Mary
You wouldn't think that two domestic mice could have so many adventures, but someone Tumtum and Nutmeg manage to get into one scrape after another. Totally charming.
Jenn O'Brien
I think if I was 8 years old, this would have been right up my alley. Good illustrations, three short adventure stories in one book, just right for a young reader
Carrie
Very cute--but very long. It's three books in one! I wish they were split up and in color. But my girls thoroughly enjoyed it and begged to hear more each night.
Angela
Very entertaining and fun. A few too many references to violence for me and my little ones, but easily skipped over. We'll read more, for sure.
Lovmelovmycats Hart
I don't love this series, but my daughter loves it so much that I just ordered her the next two books. From England. (and I live in the US)
Bridget
So cute. Warm and fuzzy. The general is so much like Toad in Wind in the Willows, I almost wanted to go back and read that again.
Kim
Another wonderful installment of the Tumtum and Nutmeg adventures. Truly a new classic for young readers.
Samira
Not quite as good as the first book, but still very sweet and a lot of fun to read.
Ousmani
The best book I've ever read in the entire world! I love Tumtum & Nutmeg!
Jaime
Read the Christmas Adventure with my kiddos. They love Tum tum and Nutmeg!
  • Henry Reed's Babysitting Service
  • Poppy and Ereth (Dimwood Forest, #5)
  • Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)
  • Secrets at Sea
  • Misty Gordon and the Mystery of the Ghost Pirates
  • Wilma Tenderfoot: The Case of the Frozen Hearts
  • Candle Man: The Society of Dread (Candle Man, #2)
  • Urchin and the Rage Tide (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #5)
  • We Are Not Eaten by Yaks (An Accidental Adventure, #1)
  • The Secret Zoo (The Secret Zoo, #1)
  • Jotham's Journey: A Storybook for Advent
  • The Unseen Guest (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #3)
  • A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home
  • The Magician's Tower (Oona Crate Mystery, #2)
  • The Mask of Destiny (Billionaire, #3)
  • A Pair of Red Clogs
  • Story of Little Babaji
  • Storm in the Village (Chronicles of Fairacre, #3)
Emily Bearn was born in London, and has been a journalist since the age of 20 when she joined the staff of Harpers & Queen magazine. She then worked for a year as a diary reporter on The Times, before becoming a feature writer on the Sunday Telegraph. She became freelance in 2005 following the birth of her daughter, Freya.

The idea for the Tumtum and Nutmeg books was sparked one evening when, w
More about Emily Bearn...
Tumtum and Nutmeg: Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall Tumtum and Nutmeg: The First Adventure The Great Escape. by Emily Bearn Pirates' Treasure (Tumtum and Nutmeg) Tumtum and Nutmeg (Tumtum & Nutmeg)