Start by marking “You Can Read Anyone: Never Be Fooled, Lied To, or Taken Advantage of Again” as Want to Read:
You Can Read Anyone: Never Be Fooled, Lied To, or Taken Advantage of Again

You Can Read Anyone: Never Be Fooled, Lied To, or Taken Advantage of Again

This book contains specific, practical, and proven, psychological techniques that you can use to know a person's thoughts and feelings at anytime--often within minutes. Because the techniques can be applied instantly to any person in just about any situation, Dr. Lieberman has demonstrated their ease and accuracy on hundreds of television and radio programs. In a special r ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Viter Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about You Can Read Anyone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can Read Anyone

Mara
I spend the majority of my time working with computers, and (with the exception of a system glitch here and there) we (computers and I) get along pretty well. So, when tasked with attending a symposium involving *gasp* other humans, I naturally turned to books for guiding me through it. I know, I know—I could have just practiced actual human interaction, but that seemed like a lot of work.

I don't know exactly what i was expecting from David J. Lieberman's book. If I had bothered to read beyond
Junda Ong
Aug 26, 2011 Junda Ong rated it did not like it
Big title, small impact.

Things I learnt:
- When you are nervous, you tend to focus on "I" instead of the environment.
- Confidence is inversely proportional to interest.
Joseph
Feb 11, 2009 Joseph added it
Shelves: unfinished
not many books would entice you to read twice. this is one of the rare ones ( you have to anyway, coz the tactics are quite specific)

the book is organized into 2 parts:
(1) specific tactics ( 7 sub categories altogether)
- well, at the very least it provides a headstart on where to begin looking for information
- most of them make sense, one way or another. ( but my feeling is such art is like bacteria's resistance towards antibiotics. sooner or later, when the mass has such knowledge, it gets h
Owen
May 19, 2012 Owen rated it really liked it
While it does use an oversimplified view of human psychology (such as seeing a simple inverse correlation between the 'ego' and 'self-esteem,' when in fact there is probably a non-linear relationship of high self-esteem being ego-ist also), it is a good read and useful. Such an oversimplification is precisely what makes the premises very usable for the average reader with a nominal understanding of psychology. It takes a lot of education to understand the delicate and seemingly arbitrary (initia ...more
Jill
Mar 04, 2010 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: psych-misc
I wasn't all that impressed with the first few chapters, but after that, I thought it was fascinating, perceptive, and dead on. I LOVED the correlations he drew between behavior and self-esteem verses ego, confidence, etc. This book is jam-packed with information considering its small size. So much comes at you at once that it is much better to read several times; otherwise you can't retain the information, which is really the whole point. This is really worth your time. A fabulously practical r ...more
Andrew
Jan 05, 2009 Andrew rated it really liked it
Excellent book. The author is clearly very smart and his techniques on reading people and why they do things is genius. His techniques will help you in your business and personal life no matter what your profession is. However, the information in the book comes at you fast and it is difficult to retain what you have read. But it is still and excellent read and a great book for reference.
Lana
Jan 29, 2016 Lana rated it it was ok
This had some ridiculously bad advice. For example: If you notice someone chews a lot of gum and you suspect it's b/c they're an alcoholic trying to hide the booze on their breath, casually say to them "I just read a study that people that chew a lot of gum are alcoholics" and then study their reaction. Holy shit.
an
Mar 04, 2009 an rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ilmu baru dalam memandang dan menilai orang. Banyak cara yg bs dterapin utk mengorek sesuatu ttg seseorang baik berita, info bahkan kejujurn ’n rahasia mereka. Klo bs dterapin dg bener” cocok utk meraih ”deal” saat negosiasi or kerjasama dan sebangsa na. Smua hny masalah komunikasi. Memilih cara ’n kalimat yg bener ma melihat tanda yg ada. Tgantung kejelian ma pengamatan kita. Cocok buat dikoleksi ’n jadi referensi klo mw menangani kasus or membuat ksepakatan.

Nb: satu hal yg paling mengganggu dl
John Spillane
Sep 21, 2016 John Spillane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid stuff I haven't heard elsewhere...
Sun
Aug 13, 2014 Sun rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
I'm sure everyone would love to be able to "read" people with accuracy but I'm not sure a book can teach this skill. Still, the title caught my eye and I thought, why not, it's on sale.

The first section has great practical examples of how to figure out where someone stands on an issue: Do they like it or not? Are they lying or not? Are they interested or not? This is a fun read and reminiscent of watching cop shows on TV and admiring the clever tactics used to catch the bad guy.

The second secti
Beate
Apr 06, 2008 Beate rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-development
In parts all right, not much here that I didn't already know about. And I believe the title is a little misleading. The last part of the book was so dull, and so not to the point, I had to skip through huge chunks of it. Best spend your time on something else...
Eric
Oct 23, 2010 Eric rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
I don't think the title could have lead me on more. The strategies were obvious and those that weren't didnt make a lot of sense. It was an ok read at the best.
Georgia Tsao
Aug 04, 2009 Georgia Tsao rated it really liked it
insightful and practical - easy read
Chad
May 16, 2011 Chad rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
A very interesting book which could be valuable in pretty much any and every profession or just life in general. The book uses psychology as a way to help you 'read' people or figure out what they are really thinking regardless of what they may say. It does not go deeply into the psychology behind the tactics it offers, which is something I wish it did elaborate on more, so for someone not interested in psychology in general or is bored by it- it may be good for them as a practical book. However ...more
Jim
Dec 13, 2011 Jim rated it liked it
Picked this up sort of at random. Library didn't have what I wanted and looking through that section I stumbled on this. Looked kinda interesting.

It was actually better than I expected. Often books like this are full of a bunch of soft, fluffy ideas that don't amount to much. In contrast, this book contains a series of specific strategies for situations in which you want to discover a specific piece of information. For example: is a person lying, is a person who appears to be cooperating really
Minh Nguyễn
Apr 07, 2016 Minh Nguyễn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had not much time to read this one, but when I finished it. It has not much effort in the ways I deal with other people. Maybe it needs a lot of time to practice, I have read it many times again and again, but from the beginning to the end, each part is hard to apply to different circumstances which require you process the information in under a second. Some methods are difficult to understand and apply to the conversation.
Cindy
Aug 16, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I ordered this book after listening to the audiotape several times. Although it is narrated by the author, it is read very quickly (too quickly) and I did, at times, struggle to absorb the many knowledgeable, fascinating, and eye opening understandings presented within. (Which is why I listened to it several times)! This issue aside, this book is amazing. It does into self esteem and confidence and why people behave the way they do, whether their ego is engaged or not. "The higher the Ego, the l ...more
Ian
May 03, 2016 Ian rated it really liked it
This book surprised me. The title and first few chapters made it seem like some throw-away self-help book. But Lieberman dropped unexpectedly deep insights about how humans work. Presented in a utilitarian, stripped-down manner. The sort of book I'd want to buy and keep on the shelf to reference bit by bit whenever I have a difficult personal situation to deal with.
Torki
Jan 10, 2015 Torki rated it liked it
That book teaches us that not all speech is talked. There are something else that depend on the massage beneath the words. Lies nowadays around us almost always.How to get the truth can be your killing skill if you master it. Hopefully no one can mess with you, or even you could be a professional liar. That book can give you some tips, so enjoy it.
Hiền Nhi Huỳnh
Jan 06, 2015 Hiền Nhi Huỳnh rated it liked it
This book provides much information about the signs of a liar. However , It doesn't mean giving you superpower to detect as its title. It is not easy to apply them and I am not sure whether all the information the author provide, is accurate.
Anyway, it would look good on your shelf. As long as others haven't read it you could probably convince them that you learned a lot in the book and can tell when they are lying.
My Dang
Feb 22, 2015 My Dang rated it it was amazing
This book means so much to me not only due to the methods shown scientifically but also for my personal development. I see many of my problems reflected in the book and of course, I now begin to save my life thanks for it.
Janette
Feb 01, 2014 Janette rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing book. Really. Especially the second half when it talks about self-esteem and how it's related to self-control and conscience. Everyone should read it. It will give you pause for thought for how you're living your life.
Katy
May 13, 2011 Katy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book on audio, knowing that this would probably be difficult to follow as I need visual cues, and I was right. However, what surprised me, in the last 90 minutes or so of this audio, the author (in my opinion) deviates from reading body language to the drives of body, soul, and ego needs as source of personality and behaviors. These last chapters helped me to understand "difficult" people (and, blushes, myself)and to me were easily the most intersting part of the book. I am in ...more
Willie  Hurst
It was a book on reading other people, but I actually learned a lot about myself. It helped me harness the power of self-esteem.
Deedee
Jan 31, 2015 Deedee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made me a "people watcher"! Very interesting. Gives a whole new perspective to observing a group listening to a lecture.
Anh
Aug 02, 2016 Anh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Một trong những cuốn sách cũng khá được ca tụng về nội dung (không hiểu vì sao).
Nghe tên sách thì thấy kêu và vĩ mô nhưng nội dung thì rất vi mô.
Chán!
B-luc
Sep 13, 2016 B-luc rated it liked it
It was ok- but would have been better in written form, I listened to it on Audio.
Dustin Walker
Feb 22, 2015 Dustin Walker rated it really liked it
Great insight into human behavior and well-written explain action on the human ego.
Julie
Jan 17, 2015 Julie rated it it was ok
I don't know. I think the title tried to fool, lie to and take advantage of me.
Thanh Dịu
Mar 24, 2016 Thanh Dịu is currently reading it
It's useful for us to protect ourselves and prepare for all situations
  • Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behavior- -Anytime, Anyplace
  • The Art of Speed Reading People: How to Size People Up and Speak Their Language
  • The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Persuade Others to Your Way of Thinking
  • How to Read a Person Like a Book
  • Unmasking the Face: A Guide to Recognizing Emotions from Facial Clues
  • Blind Spots: Why Smart People Do Dumb Things
  • How to Be a People Magnet: Finding Friends--And Lovers--And Keeping Them for Life
  • The Psychology of Body Language
  • On Second Thought: Outsmarting Your Mind's Hard-Wired Habits
  • Squawk!: How to Stop Making Noise and Start Getting Results
  • Spy the Lie: Three Former CIA Officers Reveal Their Secrets to Uncloaking Deception
  • What Works: Gender Equality by Design
  • The Power of Persuasion: How We're Bought and Sold
  • Peoplewatching: The Desmond Morris Guide to Body Language
  • The Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense
  • Liespotting: Proven Techniques to Detect Deception
  • Mind Programming: From Persuasion and Brainwashing to Self-Help and Practical Metaphysics
  • Personality: What Makes You the Way You Are
David J. Lieberman, Ph.D., is an internationally recognized leader in the field of human behavior and interpersonal relationships. He is the creator of NeuroDynamic Analysis for short-term therapy.