Start by marking “Land of Unreason” as Want to Read:
Land of Unreason

Land of Unreason

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  6 reviews
On Midsummer's Eve, as everybody knows, you should leave a bowl of milk out for the fairies. Unfortunately - or fortunately - Fred Barber, an American diplomat convalescing in Yorkshire, didn't take the obligation with proper seriousness. He swapped the milk for a stiff dose of Scotch. So he had only himself to blame if the fairies got a bit muddled.

Barber found himself in
Published March 28th 1979 by Dell Books (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Land of Unreason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Land of Unreason

Sandy
"Land of Unreason" first saw the light of day in 1941, in a shorter form, in "Unknown" magazine; it was later expanded to novel length. Just as there is a genre of science fiction known as "hard" sci-fi, as typified by the works of Hal Clement and Larry Niven, this novel impresses me as a "hard" fantasy novel. Not only do authors deCamp and Pratt usher us into Fairyland, and show us the court of Oberon and Titania, but we are also shown all manner of elves, sprites, nymphs, fairies, ogres, kobol ...more
Derek
Despite the "fantasy fairyland" setting, the wry, lightly humorous tone, the more-than-occasional vocabulary word, and meticulously ornate dialog, this was a blindingly fast read that hides literacy and depth. It reads like fairytale, moving from weird encounter to the next, all quickly enough that any particular situation never overstays its welcome.

The dream logic to the story (especially at the mind-twisting ending) rings true to fairytale logic, where in opposition to our world, the rules of
Otis Campbell
Begging your pardon --- shedding right unreason.
Over sensation fly the fleeting seasons.
Thin wind whispering on broken mandolin.
Bending the minutes --- the hours ever turning on that
Old gold story of mercy.
Craig Herbertson
Top class fantasy in which Fred Barber,an an American diplomat recuperating in England during World War II, drinks a bowl of milk intended for the fairies and unwittingly gives them his whisky instead; kidnapped Barber finds himself in the Land of the Faerie.

Faeryland is in trouble and his diplomatic skills are employed by King Oberon. He undertakes a quest in the service of Oberon, the fairy king and finds his rational and logical mind beset by the illogic of his enemies.

Whimsy is often rather
Charles
Nov 01, 2014 Charles added it
Shelves: read-and-gone
I read this as an audiobook. I think maybe it requires more attention.
Keith Davis
Another fun lighthearted fantasy from L. Sprague de Camp. Not my all time favorite, but I stumbled across an autographed paperback at a used book store, not even marked as autographed. One of the prizes of my collection.
Kevin Stanton
Kevin Stanton marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Steve
Steve added it
Dec 07, 2014
Doc
Doc marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Vince Gebert
Vince Gebert marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Laura Norton
Laura Norton marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Zscribbles
Zscribbles marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Cory Day
Cory Day marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Lyon Sprague de Camp, (Pseudonym: Lyman R. Lyon) was an American science fiction and fantasy author and biographer. In a writing career spanning fifty years he wrote over one hundred books, including novels and notable works of nonfiction, such as biographies of other important fantasy authors.He was widely regarded as an imaginative and innovative writer and was an important figure in the heyday ...more
More about L. Sprague de Camp...
The Compleat Enchanter Lest Darkness Fall Conan of Aquilonia (Book 11) The Complete Compleat Enchanter The Incompleat Enchanter