Start by marking “The Time Capsule” as Want to Read:
The Time Capsule
Preview

The Time Capsule

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,642 ratings  ·  68 reviews
In first grade, twins Alexis and Adam wrote down what they wanted to be when they grew up and put it in their teacher’s time capsule. Now entering their senior year in high school, they are surprised to find out what they wrote: Alexis wanted to “help people” and Adam wanted to be a fireman. But that was before Adam got sick and their family fell apart. Adam’s leukemia is ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Laurel Leaf (first published September 9th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Time Capsule, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time Capsule

Choua Vue
I learned that growing up with someone you were so close with will hurt when one of you passes away and that it's not easy to forgive your family, friends, or anybody who has kept the secret, of that person dying, away from you.... this book as well was also sad....

Actually all of Lurlene McDaniel's books were sad and also inspiring....
Cat
I started this book at 9 last night thinking that I would read a little bit and then go to sleep but I couldn't put it down... this was such a captivating story and you fall in love with all the characters. I would read this book over and over again to remind myself of the the strength in family... please please read this.
Zach Payne
Such a sweet and poignant book. I haven’t read anything of Lurlene McDaniel’s since I was in middle school, about eight years ago, but coming back to these novels … there is a sweet sadness to them.

I love the relationship between Alexis and Adam, even when they were newborns. To see that kind of sibling relationship … actually means a lot to me. That’s something I’ll never have.

After reading John Green’s “The Fault in Our Stars”, I’ve started thinking twice about books that deal with terminal il
Mitzy Rodriguez
When I first started reading this book I found myself thinking about the theorist Erikson who stated that the last stage of life was to reflect on our lives and either be satisfied or unsatisfied with where we are now. The main characters, teenage twins, go back to their first grade class which they have been graduated from for 11 years. They go to see what they have put in the time capsule, what they wanted at that stage of life. Alexis said she wanted to help people, whereas Adam said he wante ...more
Kendall M
This author did a great job with the climax of the story! She didn't make you suspect a thing until later in the story, and i loved that. I gave this book three stars because she did a good job leaving you wondering after every time you put the book down. I think McDaniel could have done a better job pulling you in to the story. All in all she did a pretty good job.
Susan Bazzett-griffith
1.5 stars, and I feel disloyal and mean for the rating. I loooooved Lurlene McDaniel's books when I was a kid-- I spent every dime my parents gave me on her books at the Scholastic book fair every year from 3rd to 6th grade. I felt like Dawn Rochelle and Sandy were my friends because I read all of those books at least a half dozen times each. I read everything she wrote through the early nineties. This book, though still a bit of her typical-kid-with-terminal-illness plotline throughout, left me ...more
Ashlynn
if your in the mood to cry and really think about rour life then you should read this book

this book is about two brother and sisters and there twins. adam got sick with cancer when he was about 9 years old but he recovered from it. but it tore their family apart and and ally and adam never saw there parents anymore because they were always busy. ally wasa always thinking about trying to get there family close again but it never really worked until adam unexpectedly got sick again and he had canc
Jeni
Like all of McDaniel's books, The Time Capsule was about a family who has to struggle with a loved one's terminal disease. It shows, from the inside, how the friends and family deal with the very real possibility of loosing their loved one, as well as the day to day struggles that must be faced. McDaniel also usually writes about young people, so you get the whole "coming of age" obstacles, as well as the life and death struggle. I've always enjoyed the way McDaniel writes and how adept she is a ...more
Beth
McDaniel's tearjerker focuses on a set of twins, Adam and Alexis, who, as seniors in high school, have just been invited to a reunion to open a time capsule created in kindergarten. Back then, Alexis wanted to help others, while Adam dreamed of becoming a fireman. But Adam's first bout of leukemia at age eleven splintered the family that rallied around him, and their parents now spend more time at work than at home. Alexis wants her life to return to the happier times of the past, before Adam go ...more
Halley
Lurlene McDaniel..... has a very, very specific style in all of her books. She loves this plot of 'kid has cancer, kid gets better, kid gets worse, kid dies'. And I know when I say it that way, it sounds bad. But don't take it that way, because it's not what I mean. It's just very interesting as a reader, and thinking in the way of a writer.... because I know for myself I like to experiment with my writing a little bit. Wouldn't one get a little bit..... I don't know, tired of writing one way?

S
Ashlyn Lopez
The story "The Time Capsule" is about these two twins; a boy and a girl. The boy gets cancer when he is young but as he gets older he goes into remission . Then this teacher writes a letter to these two to go to this "reunion" with their classmates when they are younger. But after the reunion the boy gets cancer again and eventually dies. The girl and him were really close before passed away.
Huda Al-Anbar

Warning:personal story ahead
I was a junior when this book came out six or seven years ago,it was on demand in my local library,and I was not able to borrow a copy,and as I remember,I could not afford to buy myself a new copy-8.95 was a HUGE amount of money back then-. On one boring afternoon,I suddenly remembered this book,with my iPad in hand,I purchased it from the iBooks store for 7.99$.I don't usually purchase anything from there.

The book was written for a much younger audience than me ob
Bailey
My all time favourite book! Every time I read it, I always cry, even though I know what happens.
Brittany.t
I thought this book was really good. The things I like most about this book is that it has drama. Also that it is intense about how he got cancer when he was little then he got it again. The saddest part about this book as that he got Cancer again when he was a senior and his girlfriend dumped him cause she couldn't handle it. Thats what I thought was sad about this book. The thing that was most interesting about was that his parents use to fight all the time and now they don't cause he has canc ...more
Breann
Nov 13, 2011 Breann rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls, those who like to cry
Yet another book from Lurlene McDaniel about a teen that falls ill and somehow brings about a positive influence....

I read this a while ago and liked it because although Adam's illness is obviously devastating, it brings his whole family closer together and helps his twin sister conquer her fears and become a stronger person. It's emotional story, so if you're in the mood to sit down and cry over a quick and easy read, give this a try.

I liked it, I bet you will too! :)
Singlerose
I love this book , i really want to buy it. This book starts out with twins, the girl twin is telling the story. She is trying to get her parents to get closer to them since they're seniors now and are going to leave soon, and since her parents haven't been home together even since her twin brother has been to the hospital with an illness. The good thing about the book is that its not to heavy, its realistic, and totally worthwhile. I totally want to make a time capsule.
Areeba Imam
Once again McDaniel brings the most realistic issues to light in form of a story that in simplest of words wold leave an everlasting impression on the reader. Adam and Alexis have been womb-mates, walked to kindergarten together hand in hand and hoped the same for their high school graduation; so when the twins are pulled apart third time, things began to worsen but bringing the family back together again.

A must-read book drenched with simplest of life stories.
Megan S
I gave this book four stars because I think that would have been really fun to have a time capsule. I would like to read more books like this when they come out and I find them. You would have great memories when you are from childhood to senior year or whenever you want to look at it. You could put anything in it. The characters were really nice and good description of what they are doing. I really liked this book.

Megan Anderson
A sweet novel about love for family and friends and reconnecting, even if you've drifted apart. It really drives home how transient life is, and how you should cherish what time you have together, since you never know for sure how long you've got. It's also about giving to others, even strangers, to try to brighten their lives even a little--you never know what they're going through.

4/5 on here, 9/10 for myself
Samantha
A quarter of the way through the book and so far, so good. It is definitely a young adult read but it has a very solid plot. Not too much dialogue or description. Very good at expressing a young girls desperate desire to bring her drifting family back together before her and her brother move on to college. Interesting enough to make me carry it in my purse and read as often as I have time for.
Michelle

Another YA novel that I love, because it deals with real issues, and it deals with a real topic that most authors either blow out of the water, or make light of. The way that Lurlene writes about Adam and his cancer is great, in a way that gently prods you to think about what you would do if your twin had cancer; and what you would do if he also had a secret.
Courtney
Wow,where do I start. This was the saddest book I have ever read. I was crying through at least half of it. Although it was sad it was inspirational and very good. It walked you through the lives of twins that were going through some of the most unthinkable times. I am not good at reviews because this is what I post them like not a summery.
Meghan M
This book is a pretty sad book. I think all girls that like to read sad books should read this one. Adam and Alexis are the characters in this book. Adam is the most important person in the book. He is the most important because he is dying because he has cancer. he dies at the end of the year.
Shaley Dunn
Another amzing book from Lurlene McDaniel. Its about two twins that one has cancer. The girl twin goes through everything with her brother and makes sure she does anything and everything for him, even if she is ruining her relationship with everyone and everything.
Courtney U
This book is about twins. One of the twins has cancer and dies. I am telling you this because the title has to do with the one dying. In the end of the book the sister makes a time capsule of her brother to remember him better. I wish i could be a twin!
Amanda
Jul 27, 2007 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
I really liked this book because it is powerful and moving book. It shows how cancer can destoryed a family and even bring a family closer together. The twins are in high school. I cried at the end of the book. I liked the author. She write great stories.
Kambriea
oh this book is so sad....ive read it fifty times so far and I cry every time. ...I cant even read it in school because otherwise ill be all red eyed.....it takes a lot for me to cry......I enjoy any book that makes me feel something
Sydney
GREAT BOOK!!!! amazing i love this author so much! when i first got this book i just shoved it under my bed. the day i had to return it.. i read the first page and feel in love with it! finished it in barely one day. great story
PigHedShanks
this book reminds me of my twin.. I miss her so much. but unlike alexis and adam, we don't have that sort of twin connection.. :p but I can read her mind sometimes.. I love Adam's character. he's so cute. I love his character..
Claire
This was the first Lurlene McDaniel book I read. It is a very good book, but very upsetting for me b/c I have a twin brother, and I cannot imagine enduring a loss like Alexis did. Nevertheless, though, it is a VERY good book.
  • Nothing to Lose (Robyn Hunter, #3)
  • Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul Letters - Letters of Life, Love and Learning
  • Katherine: Heart of Freedom (Hearts and Dreams, #1)
  • Meerkat Mail
  • The Ruling Class
  • The Bridge in the Clouds (The Magician's House Quartet, #4)
  • Falling Through Darkness
  • Too Loud Lily
  • Tune in Anytime
  • The Vanished
  • Allt det där jag sa till dig var sant
  • Doctor Who: Dark Eyes
  • Back of the Bus
  • Outcast (Sons of the Dark, #3)
  • Confessions of a Backup Dancer
  • Yesterday's Promise (East of the Sun, #2)
  • Don't Let Me Die!
  • The Imaginary Garden
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...
More about Lurlene McDaniel...
Don't Die, My Love Angels Watching Over Me (Angels Trilogy, #1) Six Months to Live (Dawn Rochelle, #1) I'll Be Seeing You Telling Christina Goodbye