Start by marking “Nellcott Is My Darling” as Want to Read:
Nellcott Is My Darling

Nellcott Is My Darling

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Alice Charles has just moved to Montreal to go to McGill University. She's never had a boyfriend and doesn't know how to do laundry. She joins the Film Society and hangs out in the library. She drifts away from boring Bethany, her best friend from high school, and starts to trail after Allegra, the caffeine-addicted, dish-throwing artist in the dorm room next to hers. And, ...more
Published May 19th 2001 by Coach House Books

To ask other readers questions about Nellcott Is My Darling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nellcott Is My Darling

Jessica
Other reviewers call this book artsy, beautiful, and simple. This may be one of those books where I "just don't get it." Told in a broken, jumpy style that was not for me, this novel follows Alice as she goes off to college and gets her first boyfriend, Nellcott. It's obvious to the reader and everyone around Alice that he's no good for her, yet she continues to see him.

Alice is a spineless, pathetic girl with no original thoughts except for the occasional whining. Her inner monologues are trite
Jessica Gibbins
This novel is seriously one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. The writing in it is even more gorgeous than the cover and I can not get over how much I honestly loved this book. This book follows Alice, a freshman in college who is really socially awkward and has social anxiety. I related so much to this character since I am about to go away to college and have no idea how to do anything, am socially awkward, love old films, and do not really know what I want to do in life yet. I also ...more
Brittany
I won this book for free from the Goodread's First Reads giveaway.

The writing style in this book is different than anything I have read. It contained short and choppy paragraphs that weren't very detailed. It was a very easy read though despite that and it still had a nice flow to it. It took me awhile to figure out if I hated or loved the writing style and in the end I really loved it! Oddly I also did not like very many of the characters at all, but I liked the story. I found Alice, the main c
Hannah Kelly
I loved this book. But I hated it at the same time.

The writing style was perfect for the story. Actually, the style MADE the story. It brought the characters to life for me, which is weird, but somehow the broken, non-descript, jumpy writing gave the book realism. It was easy to feel what Alice felt when it was presented plain and simple.

There was so much poetry in Fried's words, too. It was lovely.

It was sad and beautiful.

I'm not sure exactly what I hate about it so much, but as I was readi
Kat
I wasn't sure what to expect before reading this book, but I found myself pulled into the nostalgia of college life, no matter how bad or good or "cool" it is.

Alice, an impressionable freshman at McGill University in Montreal during the 90s, surrounds herself with people she likes and admires, but she is oblivious to the fact that they care very little about her -- except for one acquaintance, who is not really in her periphery and who is not her boyfriend, Nelcott.

Alice struggles with her virgi
Tasmia
I read this around my own first year at McGill - the setting being the only reason I'd picked it up. I remember it as unsatisfying and melancholic, and I couldn't stand the fragmented narration. In retrospect I see that I was judging it as a sort of YA comfort read, which it is really not. Rather, it's a literary writing exercise with tediously young characters. Not bad on its own terms, but something you'd have to be in a very particular frame of mind to enjoy.
Thalia
I honestly gave this 3 stars at first when I read it a few months ago, and based entirely on the fact that I have not stopped thinking about it, I raised it up to 4 stars. Why am I still thinking about it? Probably because I can never explain to anyone enough how much Montreal is my #1 city love and how it is unfair that I cannot go anytime soon. Probably because this review of university life gave me nostalgia for a much simpler time. Finally, it is well written. It took me some time to realize ...more
Peter
A bittersweet story of first love told from the point of view of a reserved and naive Torontonian attending McGill University in the early '90s. The city truly becomes character in this well thought out little novel. Great for any young person about to embark on the adventure of living away from home for the first time or anyone whose feelings of love for Montreal haven't subsided.
Susannah
Loved this book. Fried has such a light touch, and the narrative was consistently peppered with unexpected bits of dialogue, character details (the characters were both familiar types and strikingly real individuals), and gentle literary flourishes.

File under "wish I had written it."
Sandraj
this is the bad boyfriend story we all know and love. the one where he's so bad you can't resist and you tell yourself you can make everyone see how good he is. and they do somehow. but not before lots of strange things happen that you spend the rest of your life dwelling on.
Katherine
I searched hard for this after it was on a Time Out Chicago "best of" list. Pretty good, but I think Better Than Running at Night is a much better example of the going-to-art-school-and-losing-your-virginity narrative.
Laine Cunningham
A coming of age story that goes deep into the emotions and thoughts of a young woman searching...for herself and her true darling. Lovely, thoughtful, with a prose style worth savoring!
Bridget
Feb 22, 2014 Bridget rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Canucks
This is one of those books I read because the cover looked cute and I was vaguely interested in Montreal. It was like reading a piss poor Arcade Fire song as a novel.
Aaron
More artsy, melodramatic, young adult college relationship stuff. Glad it was such a quick read. The book cover is beautiful. The actual book is just okay.
Jc
One of the shortlisted titles for the CLA Young Adult Book Award in 2006.
Emily  (ObsessedReader)
3.5 stars.
Video review coming on my YouTube channel very soon!
Mandolyn
Mandolyn marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Stephanie Wright
Stephanie Wright marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Cassie B
Cassie B marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Ray
Ray added it
Dec 09, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
B.
B. marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Martha
Martha added it
Oct 03, 2014
Wordfest Calgary
Wordfest Calgary marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
  • The Testament of Yves Gundron
  • The Boys in the Trees
  • Twenty-Six
  • Can You Ever Forgive Me?: Memoirs of a Literary Forger
  • Lost in Suburbia: A Momoir: How I Got Pregnant, Lost Myself, and Got My Cool Back in the New Jersey Suburbs
  • Fangs Out (A Cordell Logan Mystery, #2)
  • Dot in the Universe
  • The Disappearance of Irene Dos Santos
  • Zipper Mouth
  • 17 Cents and a Dream
  • The Isabel Factor
  • Stupid Children
  • Under A Painted Sky (Spirit Warrior #1)
Golda Fried is the author of the coming of age novel about a girl's first year away from home at McGill University "Nellcott is My Darling" that was nominated for a Governor General's Award in Canada in 2005 and is now in development. Follow here on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NellcottisMy... or here on Twitter: @NellcottMovie. Read film reviews of her favorite movies at www.residuefilmrevi ...more
More about Golda Fried...
Darkness Then a Blown Kiss Montréal mélodie Can'tLit: Fearless Fiction from Broken Pencil Magazine The Portable Conundrum