Start by marking “Nellcott Is My Darling” as Want to Read:
Nellcott Is My Darling

Nellcott Is My Darling

Alice Charles has just moved to Montreal to go to McGill University. She s never had a boyfriend and doesn t know how to do laundry. She joins the Film Society and hangs out in the library. She drifts away from boring Bethany, her best friend from high school, and starts to trail after Allegra, the caffeine-addicted, dish-throwing artist in the dorm room next to hers. And, ...more
Published May 19th 2001 by Coach House Books

To ask other readers questions about Nellcott Is My Darling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nellcott Is My Darling

Jessica
Mar 31, 2013 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, first-reads
Other reviewers call this book artsy, beautiful, and simple. This may be one of those books where I "just don't get it." Told in a broken, jumpy style that was not for me, this novel follows Alice as she goes off to college and gets her first boyfriend, Nellcott. It's obvious to the reader and everyone around Alice that he's no good for her, yet she continues to see him.

Alice is a spineless, pathetic girl with no original thoughts except for the occasional whining. Her inner monologues are trite
Jessica Gibbins
This novel is seriously one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. The writing in it is even more gorgeous than the cover and I can not get over how much I honestly loved this book. This book follows Alice, a freshman in college who is really socially awkward and has social anxiety. I related so much to this character since I am about to go away to college and have no idea how to do anything, am socially awkward, love old films, and do not really know what I want to do in life yet. I also ...more
Brittany
I won this book for free from the Goodread's First Reads giveaway.

The writing style in this book is different than anything I have read. It contained short and choppy paragraphs that weren't very detailed. It was a very easy read though despite that and it still had a nice flow to it. It took me awhile to figure out if I hated or loved the writing style and in the end I really loved it! Oddly I also did not like very many of the characters at all, but I liked the story. I found Alice, the main c
Hannah Kelly
Jul 30, 2014 Hannah Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. But I hated it at the same time.

The writing style was perfect for the story. Actually, the style MADE the story. It brought the characters to life for me, which is weird, but somehow the broken, non-descript, jumpy writing gave the book realism. It was easy to feel what Alice felt when it was presented plain and simple.

There was so much poetry in Fried's words, too. It was lovely.

It was sad and beautiful.

I'm not sure exactly what I hate about it so much, but as I was readi
Thalia
Jan 10, 2013 Thalia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly gave this 3 stars at first when I read it a few months ago, and based entirely on the fact that I have not stopped thinking about it, I raised it up to 4 stars. Why am I still thinking about it? Probably because I can never explain to anyone enough how much Montreal is my #1 city love and how it is unfair that I cannot go anytime soon. Probably because this review of university life gave me nostalgia for a much simpler time. Finally, it is well written. It took me some time to realize ...more
Courtney Holder
Aug 24, 2014 Courtney Holder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if I'm biased because this is my creative writing teacher's book, but I really enjoyed the uniqueness of this book. It tells the story in a sort of nonchalant way that made it easy to read, but it was a little hard to follow at times.
The characters really popped and made the story come to life with their realistic and creative personalities. I particularly like the main character, because she was easy to relate to, and she reminded me a lot of myself.
I would suggest this book to an
Mina
May 24, 2014 Mina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this around my own first year at McGill - the setting being the only reason I'd picked it up. I remember it as unsatisfying and melancholic, and I couldn't stand the fragmented narration. In retrospect I see that I was judging it as a sort of YA comfort read, which it is really not. Rather, it's a literary writing exercise with tediously young characters. Not bad on its own terms, but something you'd have to be in a very particular frame of mind to enjoy.
Peter
Feb 15, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bittersweet story of first love told from the point of view of a reserved and naive Torontonian attending McGill University in the early '90s. The city truly becomes character in this well thought out little novel. Great for any young person about to embark on the adventure of living away from home for the first time or anyone whose feelings of love for Montreal haven't subsided.
Susannah
Jun 09, 2008 Susannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Fried has such a light touch, and the narrative was consistently peppered with unexpected bits of dialogue, character details (the characters were both familiar types and strikingly real individuals), and gentle literary flourishes.

File under "wish I had written it."
Katherine
Oct 05, 2007 Katherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, youth
I searched hard for this after it was on a Time Out Chicago "best of" list. Pretty good, but I think Better Than Running at Night is a much better example of the going-to-art-school-and-losing-your-virginity narrative.
Sandraj
Feb 24, 2008 Sandraj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is the bad boyfriend story we all know and love. the one where he's so bad you can't resist and you tell yourself you can make everyone see how good he is. and they do somehow. but not before lots of strange things happen that you spend the rest of your life dwelling on.
Beth
Jan 21, 2008 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(thanks, Erika!)
Aaron
Oct 16, 2010 Aaron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
More artsy, melodramatic, young adult college relationship stuff. Glad it was such a quick read. The book cover is beautiful. The actual book is just okay.
Laine Cunningham
Jun 17, 2013 Laine Cunningham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A coming of age story that goes deep into the emotions and thoughts of a young woman searching...for herself and her true darling. Lovely, thoughtful, with a prose style worth savoring!
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
3.5 stars.
Video review coming on my YouTube channel very soon!
Bree Riley
I have read this book too many times. It is more like poetry than a novel.
Jc
Aug 23, 2008 Jc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-fiction
One of the shortlisted titles for the CLA Young Adult Book Award in 2006.
Jessica
Feb 18, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I felt many times while reading this book that Gold Fried was inside my head. Cool story with lots of cute references and SUPACUTE sentences.
Bridget
Aug 30, 2010 Bridget rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Canucks
This is one of those books I read because the cover looked cute and I was vaguely interested in Montreal. It was like reading a piss poor Arcade Fire song as a novel.
Nina
Nina rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Kayleigh
Kayleigh rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Scoutaccount
Scoutaccount rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2013
Chanelle
Chanelle rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2012
Leanda
Leanda rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2008
Alison C.
Alison C. rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2010
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2012
Selby
Selby rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2008
Edmund
Edmund rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2007
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
  • Notes on a Life
  • Twenty-Six
  • The Testament of Yves Gundron
  • Home Truths
  • Fangs Out (A Cordell Logan Mystery, #2)
  • Yesterday, at the Hotel Clarendon
  • Lost in Suburbia: a Momoir: How I Got Pregnant, Lost Myself, and Got My Cool Back in the New Jersey Suburbs
  • 17 Cents and a Dream
  • Can You Ever Forgive Me?: Memoirs of a Literary Forger
  • Stupid Children
  • The Boys in the Trees
Golda Fried is the author of the coming of age novel about a girl's first year away from home at McGill University "Nellcott is My Darling" that was nominated for a Governor General's Award in Canada in 2005 and is now in development. Follow here on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NellcottisMy... or here on Twitter: @NellcottMovie. Read film reviews of her favorite movies at www.residuefilmrevi ...more
More about Golda Fried...